One Change to the Playoffs/State Tournament

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

goldy313

Re: One Change to the Playoffs/State Tournament

Post by goldy313 »

The A champ goes through less a gauntlet than most AA teams just to get to state, let alone win it. Why give them a bye into a game like that?

If you are old like me you can remember when the Minneapolis Star sponsoring a football game between the mythical public and private school champions. Cretin played one tough opponent, if that, while Austin (or whomever) played 6 or 7. And now you think you can can a “true” state champ?

My change.....move the class A tournament to a rotation of venues of Duluth, Moorhead, Rochester, St. Cloud, and Mankato. Stop them coat tailing on the AA tournament and see what happens.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

I actually kind of like that. It has enough wrinkles to it that you couldn’t actually do it. But it would sure make people think twice about taking the trophy chaser route.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

goldy313 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:07 am The A champ goes through less a gauntlet than most AA teams just to get to state, let alone win it. Why give them a bye into a game like that?

If you are old like me you can remember when the Minneapolis Star sponsoring a football game between the mythical public and private school champions. Cretin played one tough opponent, if that, while Austin (or whomever) played 6 or 7. And now you think you can can a “true” state champ?

My change.....move the class A tournament to a rotation of venues of Duluth, Moorhead, Rochester, St. Cloud, and Mankato. Stop them coat tailing on the AA tournament and see what happens.
Golden goldy =D> =D> =D>
Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

goldy313 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:07 am The A champ goes through less a gauntlet than most AA teams just to get to state, let alone win it. Why give them a bye into a game like that?

I agree with the first part: no need for a cross-over game or anything like that.

But why move the tournament? It doesnt interfere with the AA tournament besides making them move the consolation games (which nobody goes to anyway). Wednesday's games are usually a bit lopsided but semi-final Friday's game are usually great. Ive gone the past few seasons and havent been disappointed.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

kniven wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:14 pm
StanleyCup55 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:41 pm Definitely class A champ playing class AA champ. What a game that would be every year. Place would be full and atmosphere electric.

Also no section finals games played at same time. I’d like to hit them all
I don’t like it. But that’s just me. I wasn’t a fan back in the 40’s and 50’s so I don’t bow down, or need the big guy vs. the little guy game. Plus, the teams that win A these days are far from the teams that were little guys little guy in the 40’ and 50’s.
True that.
Hockey Is For Everyone
East Side Pioneer Guy

TV will not double their costs. It would lead to hurt feelings if the small schools side were not televised. We can't be harming anyone's self-esteem,
Hockey Is For Everyone
East Side Pioneer Guy

Sixteen teams? Ooff.

Would that be 4 games in 4 days? Not gonna happen.

Would it be the first round on Tuesday? Or Monday & Tuesday? In that case, it's not a 16 team field, but an 8 team field with 8 super regional games.

This many verisons of a 16 team field are just attempts to have what really works best, which is an 8 team one class field.

And three classes? Double ooff. I'd hope the two lower fields would only have 4 teams in the state tournament.
Hockey Is For Everyone
East Side Pioneer Guy

7TIMECHAMPS wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:59 pm
StanleyCup55 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:41 pm Definitely class A champ playing class AA champ. What a game that would be every year. Place would be full and atmosphere electric.

Also no section finals games played at same time. I’d like to hit them all
Not sure that I like this idea. It increases the prestige of the class A champion at the expense of the AA champion. A big part of the of the AA tournament is the number of quality teams that you have to beat to even get to the tournament (or farther down the road the championship game). In any given year there are a few teams in A that could compete with the AA champ. However, the road to that championship is far different. 2017 Rapids may be a bit of an extreme example but you get the point. By creating this sort of NFC/AFC Super Bowl type of game it really cheapens the AA title.

Some people will probably blast me for saying this because of the everyone is a winner culture etc but when the question is posed "could the A champ have beat the AA champ" I always think either play AA and prove that you can beat six AA teams in a row or don't pose the question. Because a lot of times to even get to the championship you have to beat 4-5 pretty quality opponents. You don't just get to jump to the championship game and see what happens. So go out there and prove that you could even make that game or be content with winning at the level you are at.
Very well stated. This would really water down the big school side.

If you really want one champion, it needs to be one class.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Edinahopkins

Post by Edinahopkins »

I personally think MSHSL needs Boys hockey more then boys Hockey needs the MSHSL. would it be better for everyone to opt out and just be under Minnesota hockey? You can still do the state tournament the same. You could have sectionals or adopt region play like youth hockey. You could then play 40-50 Regular season games a year! I think it would grow high school hockey but I could be wrong.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

hockey59 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:10 pm
Section 8 guy wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:00 pm Very well said 7. Agree with all of it.

Make the AA section finals into a prep bowl type event and televise them all. Either 4 on Friday or 4 on Saturday....back to back to back to back......or 2 Thursday, 2 Friday and 4 Saturday. In many ways the Section final is the most important game of the year. I’d watch em all.
Agree, that’s a tremendous idea! And one added caveat...DE (or Cloquet) doesn’t get to play at Amsoil for the section final either 😉🤣
And figure out a way to get Sections 3,4 and 5 back to the Coliseum!
zooomx

Post by zooomx »

Edinahopkins wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:01 pm I personally think MSHSL needs Boys hockey more then boys Hockey needs the MSHSL. would it be better for everyone to opt out and just be under Minnesota hockey? You can still do the state tournament the same. You could have sectionals or adopt region play like youth hockey. You could then play 40-50 Regular season games a year! I think it would grow high school hockey but I could be wrong.
Yeah... no. This would lead to club hockey like we see everywhere else in the country.
East Side Pioneer Guy

WarmUpTheBus wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:17 pm
Section 8 guy wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:00 pm Very well said 7. Agree with all of it.

Make the AA section finals into a prep bowl type event and televise them all. Either 4 on Friday or 4 on Saturday....back to back to back to back......or 2 Thursday, 2 Friday and 4 Saturday. In many ways the Section final is the most important game of the year. I’d watch em all.
Agree, that’s a tremendous idea! And one added caveat...DE (or Cloquet) doesn’t get to play at Amsoil for the section final either 😉🤣
No. Get section 4 (which was section3) back to the St. Paul Auditorium. With a capacity of 8K and far better sight lines than the Coliseum, it was a great venue. Plus it reeked of hockey history. It hosted the minor league St. Paul Saints, the state tournament from 1945 through 1968, and even the first few games of the Minnesota Fighting Saints while the Civic Center was being finished. When I walk inside it, I still hear echos of the great finals between Hill & North St. Paul & Mariner. The packed house lived & died with every play.
Hockey Is For Everyone
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Edinahopkins wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:01 pm I personally think MSHSL needs Boys hockey more then boys Hockey needs the MSHSL. would it be better for everyone to opt out and just be under Minnesota hockey? You can still do the state tournament the same. You could have sectionals or adopt region play like youth hockey. You could then play 40-50 Regular season games a year! I think it would grow high school hockey but I could be wrong.

Not anymore, the MSHSL doesn’t make anywhere near the money they used to make. The Wild charges so much in rent it is barely a break even process anymore. Wrestling draws well and still had to drop a day just to break even. The state screwed up by giving the money to build the X and letting the free rent to high school league sunset. I don’t think they made that mistake with the Vikings.

There would be a few programs that would benefit but playing in front of your classmates and fans is nice. Youth hockey gets 40 people at a big game, AAA is less.....those Sunday 10am tournament championship games in front of 30 people are just a great atmosphere.
defense

Post by defense »

One thing for me? I dont think Class A and AA are going anywhere anytime soon, but a wrinkle mixing up the classes would be interesting.
My one thing that doesnt require a complete re wiring of the system would be if more teams would switch it up now and then and try class AA. Especially in outstate MN. Not sure why almost everyone bailed, but it sure would be fun to see some other teams in it now and then.
Otter Hockey Rocks
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

One section playoff change I would like to see, is the 8AA semi finals be played at a neutral site and both games the same afternoon evening. It used to be that way, but the unfortunately if it goes to a neutral site venue, I am guessing the southern part of the Section would prevail and want it in St. Cloud. Bemidji would be a little more fair and the Sanford would make a great venue. Play it on a Saturday and the championship the following Wednesday.
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!
CornerBar

Post by CornerBar »

InThePipes wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:56 am Agree, I think there is some nonsense about the MSHSL charging some ridiculous sum for anyone who wants to stream the section championship games?
I know that there is a $200 fee for radio stations to broadcast playoff games, so I’m sure TV broadcasts are charged pretty hefty.
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

WarmUpTheBus wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:17 pm

Yea I miss the Coliseum come playoff time. Bring back the Schwann’s Ice Cream to the X. That was the best.
Hat Trick Take 2

Post by Hat Trick Take 2 »

To get to state host 8 tournaments with teams seeded and placed using and a snake format. Teams seeded 1 through 8 would be in separate brackets/tournaments to get to state.

First round 1 plays 64, 2-63, 3-62, 4-61 and so on.

Why should a mediocre team get in just because they’re in a weak section?
defense

Post by defense »

Hat Trick Take 2 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:56 pm To get to state host 8 tournaments with teams seeded and placed using and a snake format. Teams seeded 1 through 8 would be in separate brackets/tournaments to get to state.

First round 1 plays 64, 2-63, 3-62, 4-61 and so on.

Why should a mediocre team get in just because they’re in a weak section?
Nice idea, no way to accurately seed 64 though.
Otter Hockey Rocks
Duckguy13

Post by Duckguy13 »

Would St.Cloud State seat enough for single A tournament, rent would probably be cheap....middle of the state, plenty of hotels, host it the weekend before AA...dollar figures would probably work better for all? Many A fans/teams would go watch AA, and maybe AA a little the other way too.

Then 2 weeks after, have A champ play AA champ for good measure, if A champ wins, they play AA for 5 years. :shock: ,,why not 😃

Might force the hand of the X and MSHL.
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

Duckguy13 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:18 pm Would St.Cloud State seat enough for single A tournament, rent would probably be cheap....middle of the state, plenty of hotels, host it the weekend before AA...dollar figures would probably work better for all? Many A fans/teams would go watch AA, and maybe AA a little the other way too.

Then 2 weeks after, have A champ play AA champ for good measure, if A champ wins, they play AA for 5 years. :shock: ,,why not 😃

I don't like the idea of the State Championship being played on Olympic ice as most Class A teams have no experience with that size ice sheet during the season. Plus, it only seats a little over 5,000. Class A tournaments have been drawing more than that for the semis and finals, I believe. I know when Alexandria was in the semis a couple of years ago with Hermantown, and Mahtomedi and Orono were in the other semi, the announce attendence was in the 12,000 range for the session, and a lot of those people were around for both games.

Also, I think you would eventually see some Class A players/schools file an equal access lawsuit much like Girl's Hockey did when they were not playing at the X.
defense

Post by defense »

Duckguy13 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:18 pm Would St.Cloud State seat enough for single A tournament, rent would probably be cheap....middle of the state, plenty of hotels, host it the weekend before AA...dollar figures would probably work better for all? Many A fans/teams would go watch AA, and maybe AA a little the other way too.

Not big enough. Class A has grown.
Otter Hockey Rocks
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

-Make the seat change process for season ticket holders a bit more technologically advanced. Implement an online portal where you can select seat changes rather than a sheet of paper & you scribble out the areas you don't want and you may or may not be changed.
-Give the 1 seed the option of the morning or evening session for the quarterfinals. Perhaps the 1 would rather have the 11:00am game with the thought of wanting a few extra hours of rest & not wanting to sit around all day waiting for the primetime slot. Probably more of a thing for AA than A since A has a day off in between the quarters & semis.
-Alter the TV timeouts. Less time in between timeouts & maybe add another commercial or two. A quick 20-30 second ad & then back to the action. I think the TV timeouts has a bigger effect in terms of strategy than people realize in terms of rolling a top line.

Mostly just little subtle things for me. I think the tournament is pretty great as it is & don't want to change too many things that make it great.
Goal_Judge

Post by Goal_Judge »

Here's an easy one: During at least one TV timeout each period, have a couple of skaters run a shovel to clear the snow near the benches. Every game the buildup of snow gets bad near the end of the periods, and from time to time this adversely affects the play. I'm not calling for a whole crew like the Wild have, just a pass or two near the boards. For all the work these kids put into their season, it would be a shame to have a game decided due to a turnover caused by excess snow.
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

One thing I'd change is to avoid the current pointless quarterfinal games. Here are some stats from the last 3 years in class AA playoffs:
  • #1 and #2 seeds are 47-0 in quarterfinal games
  • Average score in those 47 games is 6.89 to 0.85
  • 26 of 47 games resulted in a shutout
  • 28 of 47 games ended in run time
Instead of the current method of bracket play, do play-in games similar to youth hockey district playoffs. So, for instance, in Section 7AA:

Round 1 (@ high seed - Tue)
#5 Duluth East vs #8 Duluth Marshall
#6 Elk River vs #7 Anoka

Round 2 (@ high seed - Thu)
#3 Cloquet vs Elk River/Anoka
#4 Forest Lake vs Duluth East/Duluth Marshall

Semi-Finals (neutral site - Sat)
#1 Andover vs Forest Lake/Duluth East/Duluth Marshall
#2 Grand Rapids vs Cloquet/Elk River/Anoka

Championship (neutral site - Thu)

Not a big change, and it creates more excitement for crummy teams. Maybe an 8 seed gets a mild upset and an extra playoff game instead of playing the 1 seed in the first round where the only goal is avoiding running time. I'm sure Duluth Marshall was really excited for the bus ride down to Andover today to get destroyed by 8 goals.
It also makes seedings more important as you can get one (#3/#4) or two (#1/#2) byes.