Could a Class A team win it all this year if we still had single class tourney?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ClassAGuy

Re: Could a Class A team win it all this year if we still had single class tourney?

Post by ClassAGuy »

Joe2015 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:37 am Very unlikely. I just watched St Cloud Cathedral (#1 or #2 in Class A) play Moorhead, a top team in Class AA. While certainly holding their own, Moorhead was clearly the better team over 3 periods and came away with the victory on the road.

Now could SCC win a potential rematch in a hypothetical section championship game against Moorhead? of course. With a couple breaks their way, the gap wasn't so great that they couldnt pull one out. But then they would have to go to state and beat three more teams that are as good or better than they are. It just would be a tall order.
Moorhead also just lost to Class A Warroad.

I think Hermantown or Warroad could win Class AA

Also if you are just going to point out one example....

Class 4A Mahtomedi Beat 4AA Favorite Hill Murray (Mahtomedi missing a top gun in Hagstrom)
Class A Cathedral beat #1 AA Andover (Cathedral missing a top gun in Smith)

Heramantown have numerous Class AA wins this year.

Warroad Has wins over Moorhead and Grand Rpaids...

Class top 6 Can play and while I am not saying they would win AA this year the gap between the Top of AA and Top of A is as close as ever.

I think the Friday Afternoon Class A Semifinal will be better then the Friday Night AA Semi final for a fan.

Just my random thoughts but to just pull out one game as a referernce point does not work.

Yes Moorhead beat Cathedral a nice rebound after they were beat by CLASS A Warroad the week before.
GoldenBear

Re: Could a Class A team win it all this year if we still had single class tourney?

Post by GoldenBear »

Gopher Hockey lose to Holy Cross? Yes. Can 1980 Olympic Hockey beat Russians? Yes. Can I make 2 out of five layups? Yes. Can Karl cheer for Villanova? ...well maybe not. My point is anything is possible. So not quite sure why you are asking a question we all know the answer is yes. GB
defense

Post by defense »

Goose21 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:48 pm I think it is possible, but unlikely. Most would likely not be favorites within their own sections.

In 7AA--Andover over Hermantown
In 8AA--Moorhead over EGF or Warroad
In 6AA--The Wayzata/Blake/Edina gauntlet for SCC.
But in a single class structure, Andover wouldnt necessarily be in section 7.

Wayzata, Blake, and Edina might not share a section with SCC.
And to answer the question: as always YES. Only thing an organic AA school has over an A school is depth. And even that isnt always true.
Otter Hockey Rocks
Goose21

Post by Goose21 »

Lloyd: What are my chances?

Mary: Not good.

Lloyd: "Not good", like one out of a hundred?

Mary: I'd say, more like one out of a million.

Lloyd: (long pause) So, you're telling me there's a chance.....YEAH!!!!
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck
defense

Post by defense »

Goose21 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:02 am Lloyd: What are my chances?

Stretching it a bit there eh? You understand that a single class section 7 champ this year would likely be Hermantown, Warroad would be a great bet in section 8, and a section 6 would go to SCC? ( not sure how they would draw section 6, but conceivably it would not include any teams south and east of St. Cloud too far.)
So there would be 3 out of your 8 at the dance.
Otter Hockey Rocks
Goose21

Post by Goose21 »

defense wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:39 am

Stretching it a bit there eh? You understand that a single class section 7 champ this year would likely be Hermantown, Warroad would be a great bet in section 8, and a section 6 would go to SCC? ( not sure how they would draw section 6, but conceivably it would not include any teams south and east of St. Cloud too far.)
There is a big difference between beating a AA team in the regular season and beating multiple AA teams in the Section Tournament, then winning 3 games at the State Tournament.

I do understand the Hermantown didn't even make it to State last year in A and were beat in the State semi-finals the year before in A. I wouldn't consider them the favorite in 7AA. I would also take STMA and Moorhead over Warroad in 8AA. Chances are they wouldn't even make the finals. In the current configuration with 6AA, SCC may have the toughest road. Most likely zero or maybe one team would make it.
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck
defense

Post by defense »

Goose21 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:20 pm
defense wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:39 am

There is a big difference between beating a AA team in the regular season and beating multiple AA teams in the Section Tournament, then winning 3 games at the State Tournament.

I do understand the Hermantown didn't even make it to State last year in A and were beat in the State semi-finals the year before in A. I wouldn't consider them the favorite in 7AA. I would also take STMA and Moorhead over Warroad in 8AA. Chances are they wouldn't even make the finals. In the current configuration with 6AA, SCC may have the toughest road. Most likely zero or maybe one team would make it.
Point being though, that section 8aa and section 8a would not just combine, and section 6aa and section 6a would not just combine and so on for any of the sections. Andover would not be in 7. St MA would not be in 8. If talking A team this year in the AA field, maybe Warroad, maybe Hermantown. But that is not the topic so..
Otter Hockey Rocks
ted2you

Post by ted2you »

This topic comes up every year. Yes there are 4-5 A team's that could go deep in the field. But to pick any team to run the gauntlet is extremely difficult. Yes, Edina or EP have huge advantages from the get go based on numbers and demographics but it is crazy to try to pick the tournament winner. The question asked is can an A team ride it to a title. Defense, goaltending, and some luck wins tournaments I have no idea who will win the AA title this year, but i wouldn't be at all surprised to see Hermantown SCC, warroad,or EGF go deep. Then again none could make it out of sections

If Hermantown or SCC wanted to know, they should move up. Please the A tournament has taken years to become respectable we really don't need to discuss another class.
defense

Post by defense »

ted2you wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:30 am This topic comes up every year. Yes there are 4-5 A team's that could go deep in the field. But to pick any team to run the gauntlet is extremely difficult. Yes, Edina or EP have huge advantages from the get go based on numbers and demographics but it is crazy to try to pick the tournament winner. The question asked is can an A team ride it to a title. Defense, goaltending, and some luck wins tournaments I have no idea who will win the AA title this year, but i wouldn't be at all surprised to see Hermantown SCC, warroad,or EGF go deep. Then again none could make it out of sections

If Hermantown or SCC wanted to know, they should move up. Please the A tournament has taken years to become respectable we really don't need to discuss another class.
This post says most of what I think. But I believe the single class tournement would be harder than the AA tournament. I really do believe the Crusaders or Hawks or Warriors would be a good bet in AA, also in a one class tournement. A and AA are only labels.
Otter Hockey Rocks
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

defense wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:02 pm
ted2you wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:30 am This topic comes up every year. Yes there are 4-5 A team's that could go deep in the field. But to pick any team to run the gauntlet is extremely difficult. Yes, Edina or EP have huge advantages from the get go based on numbers and demographics but it is crazy to try to pick the tournament winner. The question asked is can an A team ride it to a title. Defense, goaltending, and some luck wins tournaments I have no idea who will win the AA title this year, but i wouldn't be at all surprised to see Hermantown SCC, warroad,or EGF go deep. Then again none could make it out of sections

This post says most of what I think. But I believe the single class tournement would be harder than the AA tournament. I really do believe the Crusaders or Hawks or Warriors would be a good bet in AA, also in a one class tournement. A and AA are only labels.
Stupid thread when it comes to one Lake Superior Starz program. To hell with them and quit speculating the if they were AA nonsense. They love trophy chasing and destroying single A hockey. WHAT A JOKE!!! :x :x :x
All for the one class but IT AIN'T HAPPENING EVER! This would be epic tournament but MSHSL love them some money to ever turn the clock back and today's parents and athletes are trophy chasers. Bet MSHSL goes 3 levels to try eat more cash
ted2you

Post by ted2you »

I watched EGF AND SCC streaming and I really was impressed by EGF as they monkey stomped SCC. It was my first look at the freshmanJaksen Panzer and he stole the show. I loved his dad at UND he is going to be a treat to watch and my prediction is that he is going to terrorize the North for years to come. He is already the best player on Errand that is saying something.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

The simple answer to this question is no. I’ve seen the two Section 8 candidates in this discussion multiple times and there is likely, id even call it literally, no chance that they could win the AA tournament. I honestly don’t think it’s even a discussion. Great Class A teams. Very good. But winning the AA tournament is a completely different discussion from that. At one point as recently as even a few weeks ago I thought Hermantown or SCC would have a chance. Events since then would tell me they wouldn’t either.

Was a fun discussion while it lasted but the answer has revealed itself down the stretch.
defense

Post by defense »

Section 8 guy wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:34 am The simple answer to this question is no. I’ve seen the two Section 8 candidates in this discussion multiple times and there is likely, id even call it literally, no chance that they could win the AA tournament. I honestly don’t think it’s even a discussion. Great Class A teams. Very good. But winning the AA tournament is a completely different discussion from that. At one point as recently as even a few weeks ago I thought Hermantown or SCC would have a chance. Events since then would tell me they wouldn’t either.

Was a fun discussion while it lasted but the answer has revealed itself down the stretch.
You have seen the csection 8a teams!!! Have you seen the AA favorites ?? Just wondering
Otter Hockey Rocks
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

I saw Hermantown’s last two game which were both losses, in both games they were worn down in the 3rd period which directly led to the outcomes. I just don’t think they have the depth to win 3 games in 3 days this year where barring an upset there are no easy games in the AA tournament.
defense

Post by defense »

goldy313 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:16 pm I saw Hermantown’s last two game which were both losses, in both games they were worn down in the 3rd period which directly led to the outcomes. I just don’t think they have the depth to win 3 games in 3 days this year where barring an upset there are no easy games in the AA tournament.
So.... didnt see the AA team???
Otter Hockey Rocks
defense

Post by defense »

defense wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:35 pm
goldy313 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:16 pm I saw Hermantown’s last two game which were both losses, in both games they were worn down in the 3rd period which directly led to the outcomes. I just don’t think they have the depth to win 3 games in 3 days this year where barring an upset there are no easy games in the AA tournament.
So.... didnt see the AA team???
Or the AA tournament. Or have any idea how one of these A schools would do against the AA "behemoths " except that they are labeled AA..... just saying
Otter Hockey Rocks
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

Yes Defense. I’ve seen every team in the AA top 10 play......most twice or more.
defense

Post by defense »

Section 8 guy wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:39 pm Yes Defense. I’ve seen every team in the AA top 10 play......most twice or more.
They would win then,? Hands down? The AA school??
Otter Hockey Rocks
defense

Post by defense »

Section 8 guy wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:39 pm Yes Defense. I’ve seen every team in the AA top 10 play......most twice or more.
Or maybe. You've seen the section 8 teams..... not all the rest??? Just saying.......
Otter Hockey Rocks
defense

Post by defense »

Or maybe you are a Roseau parent..... saw them beat the spuds.. think the rams are winning it all...
Otter Hockey Rocks
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

If they were more A teams would have already moved up, or at the least most A coaches would petition to do away with both classes.
defense

Post by defense »

Slap Shot wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:16 am

If they were more A teams would have already moved up, or at the least most A coaches would petition to do away with both classes.
Ummm. What?? Why would they?? Not understanding your point here.
Otter Hockey Rocks
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

defense wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:15 am
Claiming A and AA are only labels suggests there's no or very little separation between the teams in either class beyond just a few teams.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:39 am
defense wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:15 am

Claiming A and AA are only labels suggests there's no or very little separation between the teams in either class beyond just a few teams.
What Slap Shot is saying (I think) is that if you want to measure yourself against the BEST...you opt up to AA and find out if you actually can cut it 😉🏒
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Section 8 guy wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:34 am The simple answer to this question is no. I’ve seen the two Section 8 candidates in this discussion multiple times and there is likely, id even call it literally, no chance that they could win the AA tournament. I honestly don’t think it’s even a discussion. Great Class A teams. Very good. But winning the AA tournament is a completely different discussion from that. At one point as recently as even a few weeks ago I thought Hermantown or SCC would have a chance. Events since then would tell me they wouldn’t either.

BINGO ☝️