state championships

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

green4

Re: state championships

Post by green4 »

BodyShots wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:04 pm
green4 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:45 am
Sparlimb wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:42 pm

I don't either. You can count them when you combine schools except when you were once two schools. It does seem unfair to have two chances at a title and count those the same as the rest of the schools that had one.

Just like I've seen one or two places where WBL tries to count the Mariner 2nd place finish as a first round win...
Im on the other side, I count Edina East in with the Edina totals because East was the original Edina school and because they still won three titles with half the kids. I am not sure I agree with the argument that it is unfair that they have two chances when to me it seems like they diluted their talent for a decade. Imagine how many championships they would have won if they had stuck together. It obviously wasn't an option if you are aware of how the number of kids had outgrown the high school space, but if they stuck together there is a chance they would have won another title in the 70's.
If West ever won a state title I think I would have a different opinion because they were the pop up school.
Excuse me, but Roseville youth hockey used to be pretty dominate in the 60's, 70's and 80's but by the time they got to High School, they split up between Ramsey, Kellogg, and HM. Maybe they would have won a lot of state titles if they stuck together and had a school big enough for all of them. [-X :roll:
Yeah, if you take a single sentence out of a greater paragraph than you can take it out of context.
My argument was about when Edina split up into two schools, they as a result made their hockey teams less talented than if they were hypothetically just one giant school during the time period. Someone made a point that said it was unfair that they count Edina East state championships with what the overall Edina total. That is up for argument and either side is fine, but I just pointed out the same physical school with the same "Hornets" name won three titles after they took away half the student population. Again, its up for debate if you want to separate Edina East from Edina titles, but my point was not about the "what if" example that was highlighted in your response. It was a silly thing that I wish I never included in my original post because it really did not help my argument and it appears to be the thing you focused on.

Sorry if my original post was poorly worded, but to connect my point to your example with Roseville I would say: Would Roseville have been better or have more talented players on the ice if they sent their youth program to one school instead of three? Is it unfair that they were split up into multiple schools?
This is obviously not an apples to apples comparison, but I would think they would have been better as one school compared to multiple, and thats partially my point. In Edina's case it was roughly argued that people from Roseau thought it was unfair that Edina took away half its students and won three championships and counts them in the overall total. I would agree if they double the amount of students, but they literally took half away.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

gopherpuck516 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:24 pm
7TIMECHAMPS wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:40 pm To me the Edina East titles count. There is no way class A or private school does though.
If Edina East’s titles count towards Edina’s total, then I’m lumping the Bloomington schools together. +1 added to the total for Jefferson/Kennedy :wink:
Those schools still exist. The relevant part is adding Lincoln's total in my eyes.
Be kind. Rewind.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Lincoln was always intended to be a place holder until Jefferson was built if I remember correctly. Bloomington High became Lincoln, much as Rochester High became John Marshall. Lincoln was closed less than a decade after Jefferson opened I think.....it could have been more but time means less the older I get.

FWIW I believe Jefferson and Kennedy still play home football games at Lincoln.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Bloomington schools' histories, per minnhock:

Single Bloomington school until 1965
Kennedy 1965-present
Lincoln 1966-1982
Jefferson 1970-present
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

green4 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:51 pm
BodyShots wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:04 pm
green4 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:45 am

Im on the other side, I count Edina East in with the Edina totals because East was the original Edina school and because they still won three titles with half the kids. I am not sure I agree with the argument that it is unfair that they have two chances when to me it seems like they diluted their talent for a decade. Imagine how many championships they would have won if they had stuck together. It obviously wasn't an option if you are aware of how the number of kids had outgrown the high school space, but if they stuck together there is a chance they would have won another title in the 70's.
If West ever won a state title I think I would have a different opinion because they were the pop up school.
Excuse me, but Roseville youth hockey used to be pretty dominate in the 60's, 70's and 80's but by the time they got to High School, they split up between Ramsey, Kellogg, and HM. Maybe they would have won a lot of state titles if they stuck together and had a school big enough for all of them. [-X :roll:
Yeah, if you take a single sentence out of a greater paragraph than you can take it out of context.
My argument was about when Edina split up into two schools, they as a result made their hockey teams less talented than if they were hypothetically just one giant school during the time period. Someone made a point that said it was unfair that they count Edina East state championships with what the overall Edina total. That is up for argument and either side is fine, but I just pointed out the same physical school with the same "Hornets" name won three titles after they took away half the student population. Again, its up for debate if you want to separate Edina East from Edina titles, but my point was not about the "what if" example that was highlighted in your response. It was a silly thing that I wish I never included in my original post because it really did not help my argument and it appears to be the thing you focused on.

Sorry if my original post was poorly worded, but to connect my point to your example with Roseville I would say: Would Roseville have been better or have more talented players on the ice if they sent their youth program to one school instead of three? Is it unfair that they were split up into multiple schools?
This is obviously not an apples to apples comparison, but I would think they would have been better as one school compared to multiple, and thats partially my point. In Edina's case it was roughly argued that people from Roseau thought it was unfair that Edina took away half its students and won three championships and counts them in the overall total. I would agree if they double the amount of students, but they literally took half away.
In the winter of 1973-1974 I played Bantam A for Superior & we participated in the Edina Invitational and a tourney in Bloomington. This was in the days where the road teams players were hosted by families of the city that held the tournament. Played against the players who were eventually varsity players for Edina East & Edina West during (1976-77 & 1977-78). To say BOTH teams were talented & deep is a massive understatement. They were exceptionally GOOD☝️
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

karl(east) wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:52 pm Bloomington schools' histories, per minnhock:

Single Bloomington school until 1965
Kennedy 1965-present
Lincoln 1966-1982
Jefferson 1970-present

🤯
Bloomington high and Lincoln are the same school.

Same in Rochester, John Marshall opened in ~1958, It was a new high school but the only public high school until 1965. They built a new school and named it after someone, at the time there wasn’t an expectation another high school would be built.

Bloomington High School and Lincoln are the same school, just as Rochester High School and John Marshall are the same school.

Lake City has one high school, it is called Lincoln High School. Putting a persons name on a school doesn’t always mean much.

I imagine there are quite a few schools shorted due to incorrect lineage.....Besides John Marshall, Lincoln, Edina, etc. I would think Roseville/Ramsey, Lakeville/North, among others are short changed.

Being a former soldier I guess lineage is important to me. Be it the 1st Minnesota (Picketts Charge)at Gettysburg or 194th (death march) at Bataan.