Ely hockey done?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

greenwayraider

Ely hockey done?

Post by greenwayraider »

Greenway/Ely game was cancelled from what I heard because they couldn’t field a team. Anyone know what’s going on with their program?
O-townClown

Re: Ely hockey done?

Post by O-townClown »

Ely. Really!
Be kind. Rewind.
TwinCitiesImport

Post by TwinCitiesImport »

Are Ely and Babbitt already a co-op? Or is that a possibility if one team can't get enough kids to play?
GRHS
ironranger2

Post by ironranger2 »

If you look at MN Hockey Hub, there team is full of 8th and 9th graders, plus a small number of high school age kids. I understand they probably don't have the numbers for a Bantam team (or if they did they high school team wouldn't have enough), but that is a recipe for disaster.

Probably for the best. It doesn't do Greenway any good playing a team like that either.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

Until I saw this posting, I'd thought the game was postponed because of the weather or impending weather.
Even though Ely never has been good, still sad to see if the program really is done.
When I see a situation like this, it reminds me of Greenway's situation 11-12 years ago when they almost packed it in or merged with Grand Rapids, when Jim Lawson & Pat Guyer (& others I'm sure) went door knocking to find enough kids to put a team together.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

Until I saw this posting, I'd thought the game was postponed because of the weather or impending weather.
Even though Ely never has been good, still sad to see if the program really is done.
When I see a situation like this, it reminds me of Greenway's situation 11-12 years ago when they almost packed it in or merged with Grand Rapids, when Jim Lawson & Pat Guyer (& others I'm sure) went door knocking to find enough kids to put a team together.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Well, when you have 60 year olds from Boston deciding public policy based on seasonal occupations what do you expect?
ShakestheClown

Post by ShakestheClown »

goldy313 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:08 pm Well, when you have 60 year olds from Boston deciding public policy based on seasonal occupations what do you expect?
=D>
walleyeguy

Post by walleyeguy »

Before you throw Ely under the bus Ironranger2, it wasn't that long ago that Greenway was losing to Bagley and almost lost their program.

Made a few phone calls, and what I was able to gather, Ely had some kids sick and some were hurt.