Jackson Blake

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

O-townClown
Posts: 4026
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Jackson Blake

Post by O-townClown » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:59 pm

In the last hour I've read two season previews. One from a Minnesota hockey magazine (linked in a thread on this board) and the other on Karl's blog. Both mentioned Jackson Blake now on Eden Prairie's Varsity from "Shattuck".

Why don't people recognize him as Jackson Blake, up from Eden Prairie's Bantam team?
Be kind. Rewind.

elliott70
Posts: 13615
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by elliott70 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:22 pm

Where did he play last year?

O-townClown
Posts: 4026
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by O-townClown » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:23 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:22 pm
Where did he play last year?
Eden Prairie Bantam from January on.
Be kind. Rewind.

Jeffy95
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by Jeffy95 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:33 pm

If he came in January then how can he be on the Varsity Roster? Another “exception” to the rules?

bardown27
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by bardown27 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:35 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:33 pm
If he came in January then how can he be on the Varsity Roster? Another “exception” to the rules?
No. He’s an Eden prairie kid. He was at Shattuck, moved back to EP as a freshman halfway through the bantam season. Finished rest of season with bantam team.

Jeffy95
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by Jeffy95 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:45 pm

bardown27 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:35 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:33 pm
If he came in January then how can he be on the Varsity Roster? Another “exception” to the rules?
No. He’s an Eden prairie kid. He was at Shattuck, moved back to EP as a freshman halfway through the bantam season. Finished rest of season with bantam team.
Exactly. He didn’t start his 9th grade year at EP. So according to the rules, he is not eligible for Varsity for one calendar year from the day he started class at EP. But we all know those rules aren’t worth the paper they’re written on.

O-townClown
Posts: 4026
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by O-townClown » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:52 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:45 pm
So according to the rules, he is not eligible for Varsity for one calendar year
I don't think that's the rule. Admittedly, I don't know MSHSL rules very well. Would seem to deter families from relocating to the Twin Cities if they have high school age children. Participating on a sports team is often the best way to cushion the disruption in a teen's life.
Be kind. Rewind.

Jeffy95
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by Jeffy95 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:57 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:52 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:45 pm
So according to the rules, he is not eligible for Varsity for one calendar year
I don't think that's the rule. Admittedly, I don't know MSHSL rules very well. Would seem to deter families from relocating to the Twin Cities if they have high school age children. Participating on a sports team is often the best way to cushion the disruption in a teen's life.
Yes, that is the rule. Has nothing to do with relocating. If your family moves, you’re eligible. Maybe his family moved to Faribault for half a Bantam Season and then back??? I assumed Shattuck kids live in dorms but I guess I don’t know that for sure.

O-townClown
Posts: 4026
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by O-townClown » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:06 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:57 pm
Yes, that is the rule.
If you don't know the situation you probably don't know which rule applies.

He's a heck of a hockey player and I'm looking forward to seeing him during MSHSL play. He's so special that people aren't following the normal convention of listing the last Fall/Winter season team he played for in their season previews.
Be kind. Rewind.

Dog
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:47 am

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by Dog » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:53 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:23 pm
elliott70 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:22 pm
Where did he play last year?
Eden Prairie Bantam from January on.
If he "moved" (change of address), you are allowed one for your HS "career".
My question is: how was he allowed to play on the bantam team if he came back in January? MN hockey states that you are required to be rostered by 12/31 (NO EXCEPTIONS, per MN hockey handbook). We had a kid a few years back who was injured and decided in early JAN that he wanted to play. He was NOT allowed because he didn't declare it by 12/31. We were told that if we had him on the ice, we'd be ineligible for playoffs.
Different rules for metro/ EP?
He obviously missed tryouts too... so they must have just placed him on the BAA team.

O-townClown
Posts: 4026
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by O-townClown » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:22 pm

Dog wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:53 pm
My question is: how was he allowed to play on the bantam team if he came back in January? MN hockey states that you are required to be rostered by 12/31 (NO EXCEPTIONS, per MN hockey handbook).
USA Hockey rosters are set after Dec. 31. Like Jackson, my son also joined a team to play from January on. They obviously were rostered sometime in December.

For all I know Blake played for EP Bantams in late December. I saw him on a different team in mid-December and then first heard about him being on the Eden Prairie Bantams in January. All of that is not relevant to my query. Every other kid gets listed with their last team and this one is treated differently. Anyone know why?
Be kind. Rewind.

Jeffy95
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:00 am

O-townClown wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:22 pm
Dog wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:53 pm
My question is: how was he allowed to play on the bantam team if he came back in January? MN hockey states that you are required to be rostered by 12/31 (NO EXCEPTIONS, per MN hockey handbook).
USA Hockey rosters are set after Dec. 31. Like Jackson, my son also joined a team to play from January on. They obviously were rostered sometime in December.

For all I know Blake played for EP Bantams in late December. I saw him on a different team in mid-December and then first heard about him being on the Eden Prairie Bantams in January. All of that is not relevant to my query. Every other kid gets listed with their last team and this one is treated differently. Anyone know why?
According to Youth Hockey Hub, he started in January. Most likely rostered in late December.

What's more interesting is that he was able to go from one MN Hockey Sanctioned team to another after four months, and be placed on the AA team with no tryout participation. Pretty sure that's supposed to be a no-no. Tough on the kid who was there all year and got pushed to skater number 16.
Last edited by Jeffy95 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

minnscout
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:35 pm

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by minnscout » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:30 am

Yes, he does have to get eligible to start the season at EP otherwise he would not be able to play varsity until after Holidays. Once he started 9th grade at shattuck going back to EP is a transfer. To be eligible before Holidays family would have to move out of EP school district, or if parents are divorced he could move to the other parents home.

WestMetro
Posts: 2908
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by WestMetro » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:55 am

If I recall right, Zach Michaelis transferred back to Elk after some time at Shattuck and was not eligible to play varsity for a while after that. I cant remember if he was Elk bantam eligible that year,or played AAA somewhere.,

612hockeytown
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:58 pm

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by 612hockeytown » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:36 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:00 am
O-townClown wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:22 pm
Dog wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:53 pm
My question is: how was he allowed to play on the bantam team if he came back in January? MN hockey states that you are required to be rostered by 12/31 (NO EXCEPTIONS, per MN hockey handbook).
USA Hockey rosters are set after Dec. 31. Like Jackson, my son also joined a team to play from January on. They obviously were rostered sometime in December.

For all I know Blake played for EP Bantams in late December. I saw him on a different team in mid-December and then first heard about him being on the Eden Prairie Bantams in January. All of that is not relevant to my query. Every other kid gets listed with their last team and this one is treated differently. Anyone know why?
According to Youth Hockey Hub, he started in January. Most likely rostered in late December.

What's more interesting is that he was able to go from one MN Hockey Sanctioned team to another after four months, and be placed on the AA team with no tryout participation. Pretty sure that's supposed to be a no-no. Tough on the kid who was there all year and got pushed to skater number 16.
“Don’t leave early. Stay with your friends. Win a championship”

Or stay until you get bumped by a transfer.

elliott70
Posts: 13615
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by elliott70 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:02 pm

"My question is: how was he allowed to play on the bantam team if he came back in January? MN hockey states that you are required to be rostered by 12/31 (NO EXCEPTIONS, per MN hockey handbook). We had a kid a few years back who was injured and decided in early JAN that he wanted to play. He was NOT allowed because he didn't declare it by 12/31. We were told that if we had him on the ice, we'd be ineligible for playoffs. "

You have to be on a roster, it does not mean you cannot be transferred. That happens frequently.

And with permission a player can start after January 1 if special circumstances and given permission by MH and USAH.

And if you transfer schools and are in 9th grade you are eligible for A or AA team. How a local association places the player is up to the local association.

As far MSHSL rules, I know about as much as the rest of you.

MWS coach
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 am

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by MWS coach » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:26 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:55 am
If I recall right, Zach Michaelis transferred back to Elk after some time at Shattuck and was not eligible to play varsity for a while after that. I cant remember if he was Elk bantam eligible that year,or played AAA somewhere.,
He moved back to ER at the time of Bantam Tryouts, was at tryouts and played Bantam AA as a 9th grader the entire season. He was not on the HS team, never tried out for the HS team. As a 10th grader, he played varsity the entire season. So you are saying he shouldn't have been eligible to play varsity as a 10th grader because he spent maybe a month at Shattuck?

Jeffy95
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:50 pm

MWS coach wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:26 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:55 am
If I recall right, Zach Michaelis transferred back to Elk after some time at Shattuck and was not eligible to play varsity for a while after that. I cant remember if he was Elk bantam eligible that year,or played AAA somewhere.,
He moved back to ER at the time of Bantam Tryouts, was at tryouts and played Bantam AA as a 9th grader the entire season. He was not on the HS team, never tried out for the HS team. As a 10th grader, he played varsity the entire season. So you are saying he shouldn't have been eligible to play varsity as a 10th grader because he spent maybe a month at Shattuck?
Under the scenario above he would have been eligible for the entire Varsity Season as a 10th Grader. Bantam Tryouts are before the High School Season starts, so one calendar year would have expired before his 10th Grade Varsity Season.

WestMetro
Posts: 2908
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by WestMetro » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:03 pm

MWS, thanks, didnt recall all the specifics.

Cookster
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:04 pm

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by Cookster » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:57 pm

Master Blake was on the EP teams from Squirts through the 1st year of Bantams. He went down to Shattuck for school, but was home most weekend, spending time with his EP friends. He made a decision to leave Shattuck in December, and was rostered on the Bantam AA team ( which he played on the year before) at the end of December, in time to play at the Edina tournament The Bantam AA kids were asked if they wanted him on the team, and they endorsed the idea.

I don't know all the rules of transfers, but it is similar to MM, wanting to play with his friends. He has played with the Mittelsdadts in even number years on the Squirt, PeeWee and Bantam top teams.

Hope that helps clarify some of the specifics.

minnscout
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:35 pm

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by minnscout » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:10 am

JB is not eligible until after Holidays. Only other way is if they appealed to MSHL and somehow were granted immediate eligibility by some other means.

FlinFlonBomber
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:38 pm

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by FlinFlonBomber » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:31 am

He was allowed to play on the Bantam Team because he is Jackson Blake. It would have never happened if he was an average player. I will be shocked if he isn't in the line-up for Eden Prairie's first game.

MWS coach
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 am

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by MWS coach » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:30 am

FlinFlonBomber wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:31 am
He was allowed to play on the Bantam Team because he is Jackson Blake. It would have never happened if he was an average player. I will be shocked if he isn't in the line-up for Eden Prairie's first game.
if he was an average player he wouldn't have had the opportunity to play at Shattuck, thus not sure how this is relevant. Further, if he was an average player, none of you would even know who he is. He was on the team as a first year player....
Last edited by MWS coach on Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

MWS coach
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 am

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by MWS coach » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:37 am

I for one find this thread a little appalling. a then 14 Y/O decides to try and play hockey and go to school away from home. Finds out grass isn't always greener on the other side of the street and moves back home.... I sure hope all of your kids know what they want to do when they are 14. Ok yes there are transfer rules, but REALLY is this what they are trying to prevent? Yeah lets talk out of both sides of our mouth.... Kids should stay home and play HS hockey, but if they leave even for a brief moment or two (call it four monthes), lets make it difficult for them to return. He went and played with a tier 1 bantam team on an organization that is not even part of MNHSL, not another HS down the road. Further, look a little deeper and you may find a legitimate exception that does apply.

FlinFlonBomber
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:38 pm

Re: Jackson Blake

Post by FlinFlonBomber » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:43 am

MWS

You totally missed the point. Maybe the thread should turn to....Why did Jackson Blake go to Shattuck in the first place?

Post Reply