Greenway welcomes Deer River to hockey

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Post Reply
greenwayraider
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:54 am
Location: Bovey

Greenway welcomes Deer River to hockey

Post by greenwayraider » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:36 pm

Deer River will be joining the Greenway/NK cooperative. They are currently a non hockey school so it may be awhile before any real benefit is realized. Greenway desperately needs more bodies as they are having difficulty in putting a JV team on the ice this year.

elliott70
Posts: 14135
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: Greenway welcomes Deer River to hockey

Post by elliott70 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:51 pm

That’s great.

Yoopskater
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:10 am

Re: Greenway welcomes Deer River to hockey

Post by Yoopskater » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:09 pm

How are the statewide hockey numbers doing in junior hockey? Increasing or decreasing?

TwinCitiesImport
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:45 am
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Greenway welcomes Deer River to hockey

Post by TwinCitiesImport » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:56 am

So is there a reason they are combining with Greenway instead of Grand Rapids?
GRHS

greenwayraider
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:54 am
Location: Bovey

Re: Greenway welcomes Deer River to hockey

Post by greenwayraider » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:16 am

The parents from Deer River that pushed this have a kid in the Greenway youth program. A couple of other kids are in the youth program too. The reason is pretty basic. Better chance to play high school hockey at Greenway than Rapids. My guess is that Greenway youth program was much more welcoming too.

TwinCitiesImport
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:45 am
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Greenway welcomes Deer River to hockey

Post by TwinCitiesImport » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:47 am

Makes sense, Thanks greenwayraider
GRHS

rainier2
Posts: 576
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: Greenway welcomes Deer River to hockey

Post by rainier2 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:25 pm

greenwayraider wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:16 am
The parents from Deer River that pushed this have a kid in the Greenway youth program. A couple of other kids are in the youth program too. The reason is pretty basic. Better chance to play high school hockey at Greenway than Rapids. My guess is that Greenway youth program was much more welcoming too.
Interesting. I had always just assumed any DR hockey players went to GR. Kind of surprised GR wasn't a little more proactive in forging an alliance.

kniven
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Re: Greenway welcomes Deer River to hockey

Post by kniven » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:49 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:25 pm
greenwayraider wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:16 am
The parents from Deer River that pushed this have a kid in the Greenway youth program. A couple of other kids are in the youth program too. The reason is pretty basic. Better chance to play high school hockey at Greenway than Rapids. My guess is that Greenway youth program was much more welcoming too.
Interesting. I had always just assumed any DR hockey players went to GR. Kind of surprised GR wasn't a little more proactive in forging an alliance.
A lot of nice student/athletes in Deer River too.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

greenwayraider
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:54 am
Location: Bovey

Re: Greenway welcomes Deer River to hockey

Post by greenwayraider » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:33 pm

Agree there are a lot of good athletes in Deer River. N-K has been a big disappointment as far as contributing players. Can’t really think of any in the last 6 years. Logan Wright is from N-K but originally grew up in the Greenway district. I’m optimistic about Deer River.

Dog
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:47 am

Re: Greenway welcomes Deer River to hockey

Post by Dog » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:19 pm

TwinCitiesImport wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:56 am
So is there a reason they are combining with Greenway instead of Grand Rapids?
Raider could verify and I could be wrong but I think the day you see Greenway combine with GR for boys is the same day you'll see snow in Hades.

greenwayraider
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:54 am
Location: Bovey

Re: Greenway welcomes Deer River to hockey

Post by greenwayraider » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:54 pm

Dog wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:19 pm
TwinCitiesImport wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:56 am
So is there a reason they are combining with Greenway instead of Grand Rapids?
Raider could verify and I could be wrong but I think the day you see Greenway combine with GR for boys is the same day you'll see snow in Hades.
You are so right Dog. In the words of Barbara Lewis: Greenway will combine with Rapids “when mountains crumble to the sea, all the rivers run dry, the stars fall from the sky and the poets run out of rhyme.” Elliott should be familiar with the song that has these lyrics.

elliott70
Posts: 14135
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: Greenway welcomes Deer River to hockey

Post by elliott70 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:04 pm

Baby I’m yours
But I prefer
Till the mountains crumble to the see
Stand by me
Mister Ben E King

TwinCitiesImport
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:45 am
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Greenway welcomes Deer River to hockey

Post by TwinCitiesImport » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:37 am

greenwayraider wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:54 pm
Dog wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:19 pm
TwinCitiesImport wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:56 am
So is there a reason they are combining with Greenway instead of Grand Rapids?
Raider could verify and I could be wrong but I think the day you see Greenway combine with GR for boys is the same day you'll see snow in Hades.
You are so right Dog. In the words of Barbara Lewis: Greenway will combine with Rapids “when mountains crumble to the sea, all the rivers run dry, the stars fall from the sky and the poets run out of rhyme.” Elliott should be familiar with the song that has these lyrics.
I was mainly wondering why Greenway, since they have to drive through Grand Rapids to get to there. The Vikings and Timberwolves will win a title in the same season before a Rapids-Greenway merger.
GRHS

Dog
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:47 am

Re: Greenway welcomes Deer River to hockey

Post by Dog » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:04 pm

TwinCitiesImport wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:37 am
greenwayraider wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:54 pm
Dog wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:19 pm



I was mainly wondering why Greenway, since they have to drive through Grand Rapids to get to there. The Vikings and Timberwolves will win a title in the same season before a Rapids-Greenway merger.
Yeah my bad, sorry, I read your post wrong. Greenway makes more sense for Deer River as far as numbers go. Greenway is a small school so together they make sense. Rapids may not want or need to coop either and they both need to agree to do it.

defense
Posts: 1616
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: Greenway welcomes Deer River to hockey

Post by defense » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:33 am

TwinCitiesImport wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:37 am
greenwayraider wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:54 pm
Dog wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:19 pm


Raider could verify and I could be wrong but I think the day you see Greenway combine with GR for boys is the same day you'll see snow in Hades.
You are so right Dog. In the words of Barbara Lewis: Greenway will combine with Rapids “when mountains crumble to the sea, all the rivers run dry, the stars fall from the sky and the poets run out of rhyme.” Elliott should be familiar with the song that has these lyrics.
I was mainly wondering why Greenway, since they have to drive through Grand Rapids to get to there. The Vikings and Timberwolves will win a title in the same season before a Rapids-Greenway merger.
And Gophers......
Otter Hockey Rocks

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2650
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: Greenway welcomes Deer River to hockey

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:35 am

greenwayraider wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:33 pm
Agree there are a lot of good athletes in Deer River. N-K has been a big disappointment as far as contributing players. Can’t really think of any in the last 6 years. Logan Wright is from N-K but originally grew up in the Greenway district. I’m optimistic about Deer River.
greenwayraider any chance Deer River would start up a beginner/mite team? Dumb question but to get any players don't they have to have a starter program? I hope that Greenway can get some kids from that area it would be good for future of the green machine. We need a encore of last March, that was a fun ride!!

greenwayraider
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:54 am
Location: Bovey

Re: Greenway welcomes Deer River to hockey

Post by greenwayraider » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:10 pm

That would be ideal but don’t think they would ever have enough interest to field a team. Currently a couple of kids come over to Greenway to play. The positive is they are playing with their future teammates all the way through youth hockey. Typically Greenway Peewees and Bantams have two teams at each level. Each team typically consists of ten players. Plenty of room for more players.

Post Reply