NLI and early commits

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ironranger2

NLI and early commits

Post by ironranger2 »

Couple of questions regarding NLI and early commits with social media full of posts the last 24+ hours....

Do D3 athletes (any sport) even sign NLI's? My understanding was that they don't since they are not actually receiving a scholarship, so I wanted to know what the kids going to all these D3 schools were actually signing.

Are D2 athletes (football/basketball) actually signing NLI's? Or are they similar to D3? Does it vary by sport?

I also noticed there were several hockey "committment" signings. Again, what are they actually signing in the photos? It was my understanding that nothing is "official" until the NLI is signed.

It just seemed like there were more "announcements" on my social media feeds than in the past.
That guy for that thing

Re: NLI and early commits

Post by That guy for that thing »

Division II Athletes do sign NLI's as they can receive Athletic Scholarships. Due to hockey not operating at DII Levels, it is safe to assume that most of not all of those DII signings are NLI's.
612hockeytown

Re: NLI and early commits

Post by 612hockeytown »

There is no such thing as a NLI at DIII level. Some teams like to make it fun and make it look like a commitment or some parents want their kid to get the same experience as a D1 player… I get that.