The Argy Bargy 3A Thread 2019-2020

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TrojanHockeyFan

Re: The Argy Bargy 3A Thread 2019-2020

Post by TrojanHockeyFan »

Worthington has improved this year, but I believe a number of the Big South teams lost significant talent from last year, which has resulted in far more competitive games than in recent years. However Worthington, despite competing, has yet to achieve a season-defining win. The team has a very good Junior goalie (would be Senior is playing with Gentry Academy) and three respectable lines but is maddenly inconsistent, particularly on the blue line. The 10th graders on the team went to regionals in Bantam A last year, but the struggle in future years will be numbers and establishing a hockey culture with the diverse community. Our soccer team is fantastic - four straight section finals, two state trips (and wait until next fall) but we have work to do to get the hockey program to be competitive with the top 6 section 3A teams, much less the rest of the state. But getting a home playoff game tomorrow is a step in the right direction and if they can get past the Cardinals a trip to LDC will follow. Trojans have never made it to the section semifinals and it will take a lot more consistency, some puck luck, and a hot goalie. Stay tuned....
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Thanks for the insight on Worthington hockey. I just saw them play the one time against Dodge County and the Trojans seemed okay, they just had trouble containing the Lamb kid who had a hand in all 5 goals. Most teams have trouble containing him though.
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

3A 1st Round Playoff Scores - 2/18/20

Worthington 11 Redwood Valley 4
Fairmont 4 Willmar 1
jeffpv

Post by jeffpv »

Just want to chime in to say how encouraging it is to see Fairmont and Worthington win a section game, even if they were "play-in" games. I grew up in SW MN (back in the JR Gold days), and I keep on eye on 3A, and those programs -- particularly Worthington -- have had some tough times. Back in the 90s, when I played, Worthington had tough Jr Gold squads. I understand the town has changed demographically quite a bit in the past 25 years, and I am glad that they are at least competitive within the section. Anyway, I hope both programs are building something!
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

3A Quarterfinal Playoff Scores - 2/20/20

New Ulm 9 Windom 2
Luverne 4 Marshall 3
Hutchinson 10 Fairmont 0
Litchfield/Dassel-Cokato 5 Worthington 1
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

3A Semifinal Playoff Scores - 2/22/20

Hutchinson 6 Luverne 1
Litchfield/Dassel-Cokato 7 New Ulm 4
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

3A Final Playoff Score - 2/26/20

Hutchinson 8 Litchfield/Dassel-Cokato 1
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

Fairly even game through the first two periods, first period especially. Hutch goalie made some huge saves to keep them tied late in the first and early in the second, LDC goalie did just enough to keep some sure fire goals out of his own net, reaching back with the paddle on one to deny a Hutch goal.

Big momentum swing at the end of the second when Hutch hit Hoppe out of the penatly box for the breakaway goal.

I think what hurt LDC in the long run was only running 2 lines and sparingly playing their third, and Hutch rolled 3 throughout the entire game. Could tell LDC was getting tired. Hutch did a good job matching lines and getting the matchups they wanted being the home team.

Hutch popped two early in the second, and you could tell LDC started to grip their sticks a little tighter and really shortened their bench, not seeing the third line on the ice until the game was all but over.

LDC took some dumb penalties late in the game when it was already out of reach, especially the 5 min major for head contact. At that point, Hutch just decided to pour it on, scoring twice on the 5 min PP.

I believe the experience the majority of the Hutch roster had from playing in the section final game last year really helped them this year, especially when it was tied late into the second. You could tell their was no panic on the bench by the players or the coaches, they just stuck to their game plan.