Pre Pre-season (summer) 2019-2020 Single A rankings

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

knights58

Re: Pre Pre-season (summer) 2019-2020 Single A rankings

Post by knights58 »

ClassAGuy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:12 pm
knights58 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:50 am
ClassAGuy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:21 am

Good Catch. So they are tied with EGF I would still give EGF the nod with Goaltending counting very large of the top end Class A teams them and TRF have a great advantage there. I had heard a few of the Cathedral boy's were doing Before and After so I didn't realize all 5 would be in Elite League. Like I said IF the Motzko thing is true I would be tempted to reshuffle the rankings. However, I just don't see a kid leaving a top-end AA Program for Class A.
You have great insight so I totally understand where you're coming from. With 3 D1 commits and potentially 2 more very soon, I think SCC is the team to beat. They will be better and more dynamic this year than last year with their top two lines being able to match up with most AA squads. That said, there are question marks....as with any team. Really between the top 4 (EGF, Hermantown, SCC, and Mahtomedi), it's anyone's title this year. I do believe there is a pretty big drop off after the top 4...maybe with the exception of Greenway. A lot of hockey to be played and depth to be tested...so who knows? Should be a fun year
This what I like about this Forum it helps to get insight from the local supporters of teams. I love the the top 5 of SCC (Warner, Smith, Perbix, Bell, Bogenholm) are all D1 kids I am not sure anyone can match that top end of 5. I just dont know about the rest. When I watched them at State they were by far the best team there because they wore teams out with THREE good lines. Do they have that this year?

Dont count out Warroad. They play a mean game and bring back basically their whole team. They played right with EGF last year and will be right there again. Warroad bring way more back then EGF.

EGF will need to replace its first line of (Beck-34 pts., Mack-42 pts., - Hjelle 30 pts.) and they lost (Vonesh on the back end). They have great talent this year and the North Dakota kids they are importing will help them.

I think EGF has a great team they are my preaseason favorite for now but dont dis-credit Warroad and TRF will be nasty. They may not have the guns to run with Eastside but they will lock the Greenwave down in classic 2-1 or 3-2 8A Game.

All good stuff! Regarding SCC...if Motzko comes back, which I have some insight on that but will keep it off the posting board....so if he comes back, their third line will be BETTER than last years as players move throughout the line up to accommodate the addition. Their top two lines will be AA level. We will see...if no Motzko, their top two lines are better than last year, 3rd line is similar to last year.

TRF goalie can steal games so that makes them EXTREMELY dangerous in a "one and done" situation. I would say Warroad would be in a similar situation as a team...one and done, they will be dangerous. Top 4 are at one level...then the next 3 or 4 (Warroad, greenway, TRF...then there's a bit of a drop off between the next group (North Branch, TRF, Orono..maybe Alex)

Good news is either way, there will be some awesome class A hockey to watch all year.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

As a follow-up, I did my rankings prior to learning of the cross-border arrivals at EGF. If I were to re-rank based on that knowledge, I would probably put the Green Wave at #4 behind Mahtomedi. Yes, there is plenty of talent on the roster, but they also graduated a ton of scoring punch (and I tend to take elite league numbers with a grain of salt given the politics involved).

EGF and Warroad have major upside and could well end up as title contenders, but for the time being I am sticking with SCC and Hermantown as the teams to beat until proven otherwise.
Pertyboy

Post by Pertyboy »

D
Last edited by Pertyboy on Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Stang5280 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:11 pm As a follow-up, I did my rankings prior to learning of the cross-border arrivals at EGF. If I were to re-rank based on that knowledge, I would probably put the Green Wave at #4 behind Mahtomedi. Yes, there is plenty of talent on the roster, but they also graduated a ton of scoring punch (and I tend to take elite league numbers with a grain of salt given the politics involved).

EGF and Warroad have major upside and could well end up as title contenders, but for the time being I am sticking with SCC and Hermantown as the teams to beat until proven otherwise.
I agree regarding caution on the EL #'s. As an example on the AA side, Tonka has 9 and Edina has 2 and if you asked me to place a bet I'll take Edina this coming season, although I also agree both programs probably take a step backward from their success last year.
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

Pertyboy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:14 pm I believe SCC, could challenge for the AA title much like Hermantown a few years back
They are loaded with talent and speed up front.There really is little difference other than depth from top A hockey and AA hockey. UMD has figured this out, there lineup is loaded with A players
I disagree with this. Playing 10 games against average to below average A schools (Fergus, SSP, Chisago, Luverne, River Lakes, Mankato East, Litchfield, Little Falls, Lourdes, and Wadena) is a tad different than playing average to below average AA teams like the EPs, Minnetonkas, Edinas of the world do. Those types of games don't take as big of a toll on the players as playing the average AA teams. If you were to plug SCC into say Edina's schedule, where in a 2 week span you're playing Hill x2, Tonka, EP, and Wayzata. That's going to take a toll in a long season, making a run to a state championship much togher.
kniven

Post by kniven »

knights58 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:01 am for what it's worth Class A guy...Cathedral has 5 in elite league....6 if you include potentially Motzko...
Good Catch. So they are tied with EGF I would still give EGF the nod with Goaltending counting very large of the top end Class A teams them and TRF have a great advantage there. I had heard a few of the Cathedral boy's were doing Before and After so I didn't realize all 5 would be in Elite League. Like I said IF the Motzko thing is true I would be tempted to reshuffle the rankings. However, I just don't see a kid leaving a top-end AA Program for Class A.
You have great insight so I totally understand where you're coming from. With 3 D1 commits and potentially 2 more very soon, I think SCC is the team to beat. They will be better and more dynamic this year than last year with their top two lines being able to match up with most AA squads. That said, there are question marks....as with any team. Really between the top 4 (EGF, Hermantown, SCC, and Mahtomedi), it's anyone's title this year. I do believe there is a pretty big drop off after the top 4...maybe with the exception of Greenway. A lot of hockey to be played and depth to be tested...so who knows? Should be a fun year
SCC was Hermantown’s bitch when they were in the same section.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

kniven wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:58 pm

That's not even close to true. In the 6 years they were in the same section (07/08 season through 12/13 season), yes, Hermantown went to state 4 times to SCC's 2, but head to head Hermantown was 2-2 against SCC in those years. Hermantown beat SCC in a semi final (2011) and final (2013) but also lost to Cathedral in a semi final (2008) and final (2009).
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Why

All great content and then you add this childish remark? Whats your point.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

bardown27 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:45 pm
Pertyboy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:14 pm I believe SCC, could challenge for the AA title much like Hermantown a few years back
They are loaded with talent and speed up front.There really is little difference other than depth from top A hockey and AA hockey. UMD has figured this out, there lineup is loaded with A players
I disagree with this. Playing 10 games against average to below average A schools (Fergus, SSP, Chisago, Luverne, River Lakes, Mankato East, Litchfield, Little Falls, Lourdes, and Wadena) is a tad different than playing average to below average AA teams like the EPs, Minnetonkas, Edinas of the world do. Those types of games don't take as big of a toll on the players as playing the average AA teams. If you were to plug SCC into say Edina's schedule, where in a 2 week span you're playing Hill x2, Tonka, EP, and Wayzata. That's going to take a toll in a long season, making a run to a state championship much togher.
With the amount of talent at SCC this year hoping they have a few more AA teams on their schedule. They play a great Class A Slate but some AA power would be a good test from them this year.
knights58

Post by knights58 »

ClassAGuy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:21 pm
With the amount of talent at SCC this year hoping they have a few more AA teams on their schedule. They play a great Class A Slate but some AA power would be a good test from them this year.
On their schedule this year for AA
Andover
Wayzata
Minnetonka
Moorhead
Holy Family
Totino Grace
St. Cloud Area
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

2 more years of total GREATNESS for North Branch and then they won’t even be able to form a varsity squad the next year.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

knights58 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:22 pm

On their schedule this year for AA
Andover
Wayzata
Minnetonka
Moorhead
Holy Family
Totino Grace
St. Cloud Area
WOW Very nice adds by them!
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

According to their school calendar:

Fergus
Warroad
EGF
Greenway
TRF
Minnetonka
Orono
TG
Holiday tournament (3 games TBD)
Hermantown
Andover
Delano
Sartell
Alex
LF
Mahtomedi
Wadena
Monticello
Lourdes
Moorhead
Wayzata
Holy Family
Breck

So their schedule gotten stronger (6 AA teams, and what I would consider 8 really good A teams), but still not anywhere near a top end AA schedule.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

bardown27 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:25 pm

According to their school calendar:

Fergus
Warroad
EGF
Greenway
TRF
Minnetonka
Orono
TG
Holiday tournament (3 games TBD)
Hermantown
Andover
Delano
Sartell
Alex
LF
Mahtomedi
Wadena
Monticello
Lourdes
Moorhead
Wayzata
Holy Family
Breck

So their schedule gotten stronger (6 AA teams, and what I would consider 8 really good A teams), but still not anywhere near a top end AA schedule.
That is an EXCELLENT Schedule for the Crusaders! Not a Lake Conference Schedule but very good
Top End AA
Andover, Tonka, Moorhead, Wayzata,etc.

Top End A
Hermatown, EGF, Mahtomedi, Orono, Greenway, Warroad

Good 6A
Alex, LF, Sartell

Only questions I would have why Wadena, Fergus and Lourdes otherwise top notch schedule!
kniven

Post by kniven »

ClassAGuy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:15 pm

Why

My point is Hermantown will always intimidate SCC. Just because I use the word, “bitch’ don’t be so sensitive 😐
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

kniven wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:49 pm

Why

My point is Hermantown will always intimidate SCC. Just because I use the word, “bitch’ don’t be so sensitive 😐
It was just un needed and you added Zero content to this thread. It would be like me going on 7AA Thread and saying that Duluth East Owns Cloquet. One its not true and two there is no point to it. It doesn't add a purpose to this thread like we are ranking Class A teams and talking about this coming year and you are talking about something that was 6 years ago? I know you love 218 that is great! But please add something meaningful and helpful not just Teenage Trash Talk. Trying to create better Class A Content. I believe after 25 years this will be the best Class A field ever!!
Pertyboy

Post by Pertyboy »

Y
Last edited by Pertyboy on Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kniven

Post by kniven »

ClassAGuy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:53 pm

Why

It was just un needed and you added Zero content to this thread. It would be like me going on 7AA Thread and saying that Duluth East Owns Cloquet. One its not true and two there is no point to it. It doesn't add a purpose to this thread like we are ranking Class A teams and talking about this coming year and you are talking about something that was 6 years ago? I know you love 218 that is great! But please add something meaningful and helpful not just Teenage Trash Talk. Trying to create better Class A Content. I believe after 25 years this will be the best Class A field ever!!
Oh my goodness 😐. Is your name Rachel or Michelle or Karen.

CEC has been Duluth East’s bitch for forever. I’m not crying or offended like you muffin heads though. For the love of Sam Kinison 🤭. The feminization of the dude is a reality.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

kniven wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:25 pm

Oh my goodness 😐. Is your name Rachel or Michelle or Karen.

CEC has been Duluth East’s bitch for forever. I’m not crying or offended like you muffin heads though. For the love of Sam Kinison 🤭. The feminization of the dude is a reality.
Great Take...

Back to content its exciting to see great Class A Players stay home and play their Senior years. The SCC Boys, Biondi at HTown, Trombley and Miller u in Greenway, Dulek at Mahtomedi. etc.

Should be a great year of Class A want to offer a platform to talk I love AA and respect it. Just I think Class A is growing
kniven

Post by kniven »

Agreed. Class A is growing. Lots of class A programs up here. I think Greenway’s defeat of Hermantown last winter in section semifinal jumped 7A alone, ahead 10 years. Hermantown will be, forever a never and ever, dominant in class A playoffs and A state tournament. Maybe more small A programs will start keeping their talent now. And a couple mergers of small community high school up here.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

kniven wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:49 pm Agreed. Class A is growing. Lots of class A programs up here. I think Greenway’s defeat of Hermantown last winter in section semifinal jumped 7A alone, ahead 10 years. Hermantown will be, forever a never and ever, dominant in class A playoffs and A state tournament. Maybe more small A programs will start keeping their talent now. And a couple mergers of small community high school up here.
Agreed I think the future of Class A is this in 7A
Hermantown moves up to AA
Duluth Marshall down to A
Moose Lake moves into 7A
Co=opt with Eveleth and Virginia become 7A Powerhouse
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Pertyboy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:14 pm Some of those teams may be in SCC conference, therefore they have to play them. Each AA Conference has dogs as well. Those are the teams they should crush. Looks like the Aa schools have figured out that there are some good teams in A and it is a benefit to play them. That is why the dumb QRF mesns nothing when preparing ypur team for a state run. Who cares if you are ranked a few points higher and your kids have played weaker competition
SCC is in the Granite Ridge Conference, and Little Falls is the only other school in the conference with a hockey program. It probably isn’t easy filling out a schedule in that situation, so there are bound to be a few weaker opponents sprinkled in there.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Stang5280 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:01 pm
Pertyboy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:14 pm Some of those teams may be in SCC conference, therefore they have to play them. Each AA Conference has dogs as well. Those are the teams they should crush. Looks like the Aa schools have figured out that there are some good teams in A and it is a benefit to play them. That is why the dumb QRF mesns nothing when preparing ypur team for a state run. Who cares if you are ranked a few points higher and your kids have played weaker competition
SCC is in the Granite Ridge Conference, and Little Falls is the only other school in the conference with a hockey program. It probably isn’t easy filling out a schedule in that situation, so there are bound to be a few weaker opponents sprinkled in there.
Stang5280 thanks for the post. Curious I am working on my "Other & Sleeper" Teams in Class A post. Help me with Breck? Whats going on there. They bringing in Talent or is it really dead over there as some have said?
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Why

@ClassAGuy I'd agree, will be an exciting season of single A puck. Section finals and the Semi's in St. Paul could be epic hockey action which are always very entertaining in any given year.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

One of the things I like about the Class A semis is that the fans of the competing teams get unlimited tickets. The atmosphere is just more fun. I noticed this the year MAML and Mahtomedi were in the semis a couple of years back. If all the favorites make it should make for a heckuva Friday afternoon. Maybe even if they don’t.