7AA 2019-2020

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheNightman
Posts: 569
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by TheNightman » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:27 pm

Edinahopkins wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:24 pm
I think Andover wins Thursday but I have doubted Elk River before, I also think both teams make it back to the final again next year also.
Rapids should be the best team in the section next year.

mnmouth
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:06 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by mnmouth » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:32 pm

Edinahopkins wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:24 pm
I think Andover wins Thursday but I have doubted Elk River before, I also think both teams make it back to the final again next year also.
Really? Elk River loses Humphrey, Michaelis and Koziol among their 7 seniors, but with the majority of their roster returning, they will at least be seasoned. However, Andover loses 15 seniors. That's a lot of turnover to deal with.

Edinahopkins
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by Edinahopkins » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:05 pm

I believe Andover is going to reload with decent jv and bantam players coming in, its most likely a very bold statement on Elk River. As for Grand Rapids I took the time to reflect and Grand Rapids has had two awful teams the last few years it made me think a decent team was way better then it really was so I can tell you this , Grand Rapids is not going to be the best team in the section next year, When peart leaves early and he is 50% of the Thunderhawks offense and besides that who’s going to play in net a sophomore that’s not very good plus the one thing that’s never going to change up front forward wise is Grand Rapids can’t score they are equally decent but no super star talent that can go score when you need them to and Saturday proved a point That this group has never won a big game in playoffs and I don’t see it happening and besides that Grand Rapids has a awful bantam team below them so not going to get any help from the sophomores. cloquet probably stays about the same , Duluth East I suppose should be back in the running so probably most likely make it back to the semifinals if not finals.

Fightinghawklover
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:34 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by Fightinghawklover » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:24 pm

mnmouth wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:32 pm
Edinahopkins wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:24 pm
I think Andover wins Thursday but I have doubted Elk River before, I also think both teams make it back to the final again next year also.
Really? Elk River loses Humphrey, Michaelis and Koziol among their 7 seniors, but with the majority of their roster returning, they will at least be seasoned. However, Andover loses 15 seniors. That's a lot of turnover to deal with.
Elk River played on a regular basis 1- Freshman, 7- Sophs, 3- Juniors and 5- Senior skaters and the Goalie. The team had one senior quit around the holidays who played D. Losing 9, 10 and 35 will definitely be some big shoes to fill for next season but the ER cupboard is not bare by any means. I won't make any predictions but I like what I am seeing. A lot of experience can be gained by playing these extra games in the section playoffs that most people figured ER would be one and done.I believe that ER's future is extremely bright. The great thing about this team is the improvement they have made as the season has gone on and are playing their best hockey right now. Andover is playing great as well so hopefully it makes for a great game Thursday night at Amsoil!!

GopherHockey
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:47 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by GopherHockey » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:40 pm

Edinahopkins wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:05 pm
I believe Andover is going to reload with decent jv and bantam players coming in, its most likely a very bold statement on Elk River. As for Grand Rapids I took the time to reflect and Grand Rapids has had two awful teams the last few years it made me think a decent team was way better then it really was so I can tell you this , Grand Rapids is not going to be the best team in the section next year, When peart leaves early and he is 50% of the Thunderhawks offense and besides that who’s going to play in net a sophomore that’s not very good plus the one thing that’s never going to change up front forward wise is Grand Rapids can’t score they are equally decent but no super star talent that can go score when you need them to and Saturday proved a point That this group has never won a big game in playoffs and I don’t see it happening and besides that Grand Rapids has a awful bantam team below them so not going to get any help from the sophomores. cloquet probably stays about the same , Duluth East I suppose should be back in the running so probably most likely make it back to the semifinals if not finals.
I ran out of breath reading this.

hockey59
Posts: 1700
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by hockey59 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:11 pm

Edinahopkins wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:24 pm
I think Andover wins Thursday but I have doubted Elk River before, I also think both teams make it back to the final again next year also.
While I’m pretty sure Andover wins Thursday...I’m very skeptical about Andover making the Section Final in 2021☝️They graduate two D who are better than any D they’ve ever had in the history of their program, along with a boat load of senior forwards, in particular Kron, Thoreson & Jones. Not saying they’ll be lousy next year, but they won’t be anything like this years team. In contrast, GR was a year away. Now if Peart goes to the USHL, that will really hurt them next season. DE will be decent & so will ER. Maybe we just focus on Thursday (for now) 😉 :D

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2649
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:29 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:11 pm
Edinahopkins wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:24 pm
I think Andover wins Thursday but I have doubted Elk River before, I also think both teams make it back to the final again next year also.
While I’m pretty sure Andover wins Thursday...I’m very skeptical about Andover making the Section Final in 2021☝️They graduate two D who are better than any D they’ve ever had in the history of their program, along with a boat load of senior forwards, in particular Kron, Thoreson & Jones. Not saying they’ll be lousy next year, but they won’t be anything like this years team. In contrast, GR was a year away. Now if Peart goes to the USHL, that will really hurt them next season. DE will be decent & so will ER. Maybe we just focus on Thursday (for now) 😉 :D
Yes, take it one game at a time. =D>

WestMetro
Posts: 3045
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by WestMetro » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:22 pm

Don’t quite understand this , they both have jinxes up there , Elk with more

https://mobile.twitter.com/zschneider21 ... 6852957189

hockey59
Posts: 1700
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by hockey59 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:59 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:22 pm
Don’t quite understand this , they both have jinxes up there , Elk with more

https://mobile.twitter.com/zschneider21 ... 6852957189
My understanding is Fogerty is booked Thursday night with some sort of Junior game...and there really isn’t any other North metro rink with enough seating & available on such short notice. Amsoil will work out fine 👍

WestMetro
Posts: 3045
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by WestMetro » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:23 pm

Thanks 59. Just weird they couldn’t have moved a fogarty event to SuperRink or BP for example .

muckandgrinder65
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:06 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:25 pm

Could've the HB is St. Cloud been an option?
45 Min away for Elks, 1 hour away for Huskies........
I suppose Amsoil was already booked and paid for?
WDIO influence?-and the boys get the Erbert and Gerberts discount for the bus ride home :)

hockey59
Posts: 1700
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by hockey59 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:41 pm

muckandgrinder65 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:25 pm
Could've the HB is St. Cloud been an option?
45 Min away for Elks, 1 hour away for Huskies........
I suppose Amsoil was already booked and paid for?
WDIO influence?-and the boys get the Erbert and Gerberts discount for the bus ride home :)
I don’t think Andover would have agreed to play the 7AA final on an Olympic size ice sheet, (HB in St Cloud) since that’s the size of ER’s home rink while Andover plays on an NHL size rink (at home) plus everything was already set & paid for at Amsoil Thursday, & then there’s the WDIO tv factor too & 7AA wants that revenue.☝️

Fightinghawklover
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:34 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by Fightinghawklover » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:11 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:59 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:22 pm
Don’t quite understand this , they both have jinxes up there , Elk with more

https://mobile.twitter.com/zschneider21 ... 6852957189
My understanding is Fogerty is booked Thursday night with some sort of Junior game...and there really isn’t any other North metro rink with enough seating & available on such short notice. Amsoil will work out fine 👍
The section 5A final is at Fogerty on Thursday night.

hockey59
Posts: 1700
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by hockey59 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:06 pm

Didn’t know that, thanks ☝️

Fightinghawklover
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:34 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by Fightinghawklover » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:15 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:06 pm
Didn’t know that, thanks ☝️
👍

Section 8 guy
Posts: 540
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by Section 8 guy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:01 pm

I’d have Rapids pegged as the best team in the section next year.........maybe with or without Peart. Andover is going to lose a lot and while the Elks run has been great......losing Humphries, Michaelis and the keeper is going to be a boatload to replace. I’d suspect East will rebound to be back in the title game picture potentially as well.

TheNightman
Posts: 569
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by TheNightman » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:39 pm

Section 8 guy wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:01 pm
I’d have Rapids pegged as the best team in the section next year.........maybe with or without Peart. Andover is going to lose a lot and while the Elks run has been great......losing Humphries, Michaelis and the keeper is going to be a boatload to replace. I’d suspect East will rebound to be back in the title game picture potentially as well.
Why East? Their bantam team is alright but I don't see them being much better than this year.

bardown27
Posts: 592
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:20 am

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by bardown27 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:36 am

TheNightman wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:39 pm
Section 8 guy wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:01 pm
I’d have Rapids pegged as the best team in the section next year.........maybe with or without Peart. Andover is going to lose a lot and while the Elks run has been great......losing Humphries, Michaelis and the keeper is going to be a boatload to replace. I’d suspect East will rebound to be back in the title game picture potentially as well.
Why East? Their bantam team is alright but I don't see them being much better than this year.
I'd say they'll bounce back because they had 3 freshman playing varsity, and another 6 playing JV, so may be why their bantam team is only alright. Also had 9 sophomores playing JV, so all these kids will be a year older and have a chance to get bigger stronger faster and compete for a section title next year

gitter
Posts: 547
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:21 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by gitter » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:19 am

GopherHockey wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:40 pm
Edinahopkins wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:05 pm
I believe Andover is going to reload with decent jv and bantam players coming in, its most likely a very bold statement on Elk River. As for Grand Rapids I took the time to reflect and Grand Rapids has had two awful teams the last few years it made me think a decent team was way better then it really was so I can tell you this , Grand Rapids is not going to be the best team in the section next year, When peart leaves early and he is 50% of the Thunderhawks offense and besides that who’s going to play in net a sophomore that’s not very good plus the one thing that’s never going to change up front forward wise is Grand Rapids can’t score they are equally decent but no super star talent that can go score when you need them to and Saturday proved a point That this group has never won a big game in playoffs and I don’t see it happening and besides that Grand Rapids has a awful bantam team below them so not going to get any help from the sophomores. cloquet probably stays about the same , Duluth East I suppose should be back in the running so probably most likely make it back to the semifinals if not finals.
I ran out of breath reading this.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

TheNightman
Posts: 569
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by TheNightman » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:55 am

bardown27 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:36 am
TheNightman wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:39 pm
Section 8 guy wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:01 pm
I’d have Rapids pegged as the best team in the section next year.........maybe with or without Peart. Andover is going to lose a lot and while the Elks run has been great......losing Humphries, Michaelis and the keeper is going to be a boatload to replace. I’d suspect East will rebound to be back in the title game picture potentially as well.
Why East? Their bantam team is alright but I don't see them being much better than this year.
I'd say they'll bounce back because they had 3 freshman playing varsity, and another 6 playing JV, so may be why their bantam team is only alright. Also had 9 sophomores playing JV, so all these kids will be a year older and have a chance to get bigger stronger faster and compete for a section title next year
Was the JV team good?

bardown27
Posts: 592
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:20 am

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by bardown27 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:58 am

TheNightman wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:55 am
bardown27 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:36 am
TheNightman wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:39 pm


Why East? Their bantam team is alright but I don't see them being much better than this year.
I'd say they'll bounce back because they had 3 freshman playing varsity, and another 6 playing JV, so may be why their bantam team is only alright. Also had 9 sophomores playing JV, so all these kids will be a year older and have a chance to get bigger stronger faster and compete for a section title next year
Was the JV team good?
No idea, but being that young you'd think there would be some growth. DE BAA team is usually not very good, because the top freshman always get pulled up to HS.

norcon
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:28 am

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by norcon » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:16 am

Edinahopkins wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:05 pm
I believe Andover is going to reload with decent jv and bantam players coming in, its most likely a very bold statement on Elk River. As for Grand Rapids I took the time to reflect and Grand Rapids has had two awful teams the last few years it made me think a decent team was way better then it really was so I can tell you this , Grand Rapids is not going to be the best team in the section next year, When peart leaves early and he is 50% of the Thunderhawks offense and besides that who’s going to play in net a sophomore that’s not very good plus the one thing that’s never going to change up front forward wise is Grand Rapids can’t score they are equally decent but no super star talent that can go score when you need them to and Saturday proved a point That this group has never won a big game in playoffs and I don’t see it happening and besides that Grand Rapids has a awful bantam team below them so not going to get any help from the sophomores. cloquet probably stays about the same , Duluth East I suppose should be back in the running so probably most likely make it back to the semifinals if not finals.
Sounding a bit like Kniven 😳. You’ve been praising them the last few weeks, just like a lot us Rapids faithful and now this...WOW! Clafton will be tough to replace, no doubt about that, but they do have a bantam goalie coming up who is quite good and what I really like about him is he’s overall a very good athlete. Not just a hockey player. Not losing much else from that senior class. Murphy put up a few points, but the rest will replaced by better players. Next years junior and senior classes are very solid. Defensive corps could be one of the best in the state (I believe Peart will be back). Three good forward lines with DelGreco and Demars leading the way. There is a lot of upside to this group and I really like their chances of getting back to state.

north_bear
Posts: 544
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:25 pm
Location: G.R.

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by north_bear » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:30 pm

^^ I agree. It would be a surprise if Peart leaves. Most pieces return and I think he (the team) would want a shot at redemption for the early playoff loss this year.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

Stang5280
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by Stang5280 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:57 pm

bardown27 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:36 am
TheNightman wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:39 pm
Section 8 guy wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:01 pm
I’d have Rapids pegged as the best team in the section next year.........maybe with or without Peart. Andover is going to lose a lot and while the Elks run has been great......losing Humphries, Michaelis and the keeper is going to be a boatload to replace. I’d suspect East will rebound to be back in the title game picture potentially as well.
Why East? Their bantam team is alright but I don't see them being much better than this year.
I'd say they'll bounce back because they had 3 freshman playing varsity, and another 6 playing JV, so may be why their bantam team is only alright. Also had 9 sophomores playing JV, so all these kids will be a year older and have a chance to get bigger stronger faster and compete for a section title next year
Six freshman on JV? Unless they are not Bantam eligible, that seems to make little sense from a development perspective. The competition may be slightly better, but you’re playing half the number of games.

Usthockey13
Posts: 567
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by Usthockey13 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:03 pm

Maybe they chose that path for better coaching and/or financial reasons?

Post Reply