Most Devastating Tourney Final Loss

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

east hockey
Site Admin

Re: Most Devastating Tourney Final Loss

Post by east hockey »

mnmouth wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:08 am
Joe2015 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:50 am I'd say East in 2011. Amazing back and forth game: triple OT. And the goalie probably should have covered up the game winner but it just slide past him and Rau was able to knock it in on off a couple weird bounces.
1978 Rapids vs Edina East. Rapids won the game in 1st OT when the puck went through the Edina goalie's pads, hit the back of the net and came back out through the goalie's pads. Complete, but obvious miss, by the ref. Instant replay confirmed this. Of course, no instant replay reversal back then. And good luck trying to find video of this game anywhere, though the MSHSL no doubt has it. Far more egregious no-call than the Duluth East miss in '96.
Y'know, I could have gone all year without that game being brought up. :-& :-& :(
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

east hockey wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:18 am
Joe2015 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:50 am I'd say East in 2011. Amazing back and forth game: triple OT. And the goalie probably should have covered up the game winner but it just slide past him and Rau was able to knock it in on off a couple weird bounces.
1978 Rapids vs Edina East. Rapids won the game in 1st OT when the puck went through the Edina goalie's pads, hit the back of the net and came back out through the goalie's pads. Complete, but obvious miss, by the ref. Instant replay confirmed this. Of course, no instant replay reversal back then. And good luck trying to find video of this game anywhere, though the MSHSL no doubt has it. Far more egregious no-call than the Duluth East miss in '96.
Y'know, I could have gone all year without that game being brought up. :-& :-& :(
Yep, memories of both games make me lose sleep this time of year.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

2010. Tonka was 22-1 during the regular season including a 2-1 record vs. Edina, with one of the wins being 7-1 and they outscored all opponents 151-35.. They then outscored their opponents 19-3 in sections and LN and HM 9-2 the first 2 games at state. Against Edina in the finals the Hornets scored 26 seconds in (on iirc a flukey goal), went down 3-0 early in the 2nd and 2nd period ended 0-4. They gave themselves life drawing to within 2 the first few minutes of the 3rd and despite out-shooting Edina for the game could get no closer. I believe (10?) players went onto play Div 1. Ugh.

Despite having no affiliation I hated seeing Irondale lose in 1981 to Jefferson and RJM losing in OT to the same in 1989. EE's consecutive OT wins vs. GR and RJM in the late 70's also sucked. :P And not a finals loss but I think the whole state hated seeing Reggie Miracle and Columbia Heights losing to (Burnsville?) in 1983.
jdh

Post by jdh »

Hill Murray losing to Rapids in 1980, 2-1, out shooting Rapids by 2-1 margin. Hill's only loss that year I think.
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

jdh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:42 pm Hill Murray losing to Rapids in 1980, 2-1, out shooting Rapids by 2-1 margin. Hill's only loss that year I think.
Could have been devastating for Hill-Murray fans, but not for anyone else. It was great to see as Hill was overrated that entire season.
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

Roseau lost to Edina 1-0 in 1971. Roseau tied the game but the goal was taken away as a ref ruled it had been kicked in.
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

jdh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:42 pm Hill Murray losing to Rapids in 1980, 2-1, out shooting Rapids by 2-1 margin. Hill's only loss that year I think.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
I ALWAYS LOVE THAT ONE!
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

Green and White Fan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:34 pm Roseau lost to Edina 1-0 in 1971. Roseau tied the game but the goal was taken away as a ref ruled it had been kicked in.
I was at that game.
Great game.
I am pretty sure it was kicked in, or from my vantage point, it looked like it.
I could be wrong.
What is a Green Wave anyway?
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

deacon wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:20 pm
pekyman wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:42 pm
TTpuckster wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:54 pm I know a lot of you Hawks haters won't like this, but, I remember the 2013 class A championship. Hermantowm had a 4 - 2 lead over St. Thomas after 2. This was when St. Thomas was the big bad enemy and was getting constantly razed to move up. In the last minute of the 3rd, Hermantown got called for 2 penalties that basically caused them the game. I thought it was really a bummer. Anybody have a little more detail?
Game was tied 4-4 and HT got called for a bs penalty with about 2 minutes remaining. HT dominated STA shorthanded, had more shots on their goal and game was headed into OT. With about 10 seconds left STA interfered with a hawk, there should have been a penalty but no call. Unbelievable there was no call. Puck was rung around the boards to Tommy Novak and he took a shot from about the blue line and scored.
Hermantown got robbed in that game. Was one of the best championship games in recent memory. Too bad it had to end like that.
Game should have went into OT with HT on the power play. Heartbreaking loss.
Hermantown blew two 2 goal leads in that game. 3-1 and 5-3. The call on Hermantown was in their offensive zone and was a blatant penalty. The no-call when an STA player mugged the Hermantown guy was a terrible missed call. Novak came out around the circle and ripped a slapshot from the slot and beat the goalie clean over his shoulder. The atmosphere in the X was unreal before and after that goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE8nEQtCCO8

Bruce was always such a little baby
Come on. This was Class A..... Do I hear crickets? :wink:
paulsonj72

Post by paulsonj72 »

Channel 11 probably reused the tape(WTCN had the tourney through 1978) since they were an independent station at the time and 2-inch video tape was VERY expensive then
deacon

Post by deacon »

BodyShots wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:35 pm
Game was tied 4-4 and HT got called for a bs penalty with about 2 minutes remaining. HT dominated STA shorthanded, had more shots on their goal and game was headed into OT. With about 10 seconds left STA interfered with a hawk, there should have been a penalty but no call. Unbelievable there was no call. Puck was rung around the boards to Tommy Novak and he took a shot from about the blue line and scored.
Hermantown got robbed in that game. Was one of the best championship games in recent memory. Too bad it had to end like that.
Hermantown blew two 2 goal leads in that game. 3-1 and 5-3. The call on Hermantown was in their offensive zone and was a blatant penalty. The no-call when an STA player mugged the Hermantown guy was a terrible missed call. Novak came out around the circle and ripped a slapshot from the slot and beat the goalie clean over his shoulder. The atmosphere in the X was unreal before and after that goal.

ha, yeah. But the entire lower bowl was stuffed full because they didn't open the top and nobody was cheering for STA obviously and the shift in emotions in a split second is something I will not forget.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

deacon wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:26 pm
BodyShots wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:35 pm

ha, yeah. But the entire lower bowl was stuffed full because they didn't open the top and nobody was cheering for STA obviously and the shift in emotions in a split second is something I will not forget.
Literally the last BIG goal Novak has scored 😉 :lol:
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

TTpuckster wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:54 pm I know a lot of you Hawks haters won't like this, but, I remember the 2013 class A championship. Hermantowm had a 4 - 2 lead over St. Thomas after 2. This was when St. Thomas was the big bad enemy and was getting constantly razed to move up. In the last minute of the 3rd, Hermantown got called for 2 penalties that basically caused them the game. I thought it was really a bummer. Anybody have a little more detail?

Was that the game when Novak, "parted the Red Sea" with the STA fans? Can't find video on that which I thought was pretty cool.
deacon

Post by deacon »

Slap Shot wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:46 am

Was that the game when Novak, "parted the Red Sea" with the STA fans? Can't find video on that which I thought was pretty cool.
I don't think so. I remember watching that on tv and I was at the championship game.