Play-off Games Wedneday 2-27-19

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

goldy313

Re: Play-off Games Wedneday 2-27-19

Post by goldy313 »

WestMetro wrote: ↑Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:26 pm Rainer and NWOT

The 27 page nightmare Hermantown thread can now be closed ?πŸ˜†πŸ˜€
No! The poor us with our small enrollment, how we expect to even compete with schools like New Ulm? They should make a 3rd class for schools of our size! That argument hasn’t even started with the Hawk faithful in full yet.
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

Yes, it is a really disappointing outcome. I put together a sandbag costume and was trying to build-up the courage to sit with the Hermantown fans. Now I guess I will have to wear my Rapids sweatshirt and sit with the Greenway fans - that might be even more dangerous, huh?
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
Dog

Post by Dog »

WestMetro wrote: ↑Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:26 pm Rainer and NWOT

The 27 page nightmare Hermantown thread can now be closed ?πŸ˜†πŸ˜€
No, the hockey gods had enough of it. Greenway played how they needed to (keep it close, go in spurts when they had a chance, try not to expend too much energy) and HT looked pretty flat. It almost looked like they thought they just had to show up.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Edina ragdolled Benilde. The Hornets looked every bit like the veteran team playing a much younger squad. Next year will be different, but not tonight. Not this time.

Benilde almost went the entire second without a shot on goal and one of the storylines was whether they would hit 10 for the game. LIam Malmquist didn't garner a point, but he nearly had 5 goals. Chances were real one-sided.

The state tournament has their #1 seed and paper favorite. Those afflicted with stinger envy have their villain.
Be kind. Rewind.
kpryan88

Post by kpryan88 »

O-townClown wrote: ↑Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:48 am Edina ragdolled Benilde. The Hornets looked every bit like the veteran team playing a much younger squad. Next year will be different, but not tonight. Not this time.

Benilde almost went the entire second without a shot on goal and one of the storylines was whether they would hit 10 for the game. LIam Malmquist didn't garner a point, but he nearly had 5 goals. Chances were real one-sided.

The state tournament has their #1 seed and paper favorite. Those afflicted with stinger envy have their villain.
So, basically, we know who the rest of the state is cheering against... friggin cake eaters. 😜
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

O-townClown wrote: ↑Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:48 am Edina ragdolled Benilde. The Hornets looked every bit like the veteran team playing a much younger squad. Next year will be different, but not tonight. Not this time.

I was there, and I think everything O-town says here is accurate. Barring a huge upset, this year's State Tourney Championship is Edina's. They are that good.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

kpryan88 wrote: ↑Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:09 amSo, basically, we know who the rest of the state is cheering against... friggin cake eaters. 😜
There's a pinned Dave Spehar tweet:

That time of year when the North hates the Metro, the Metro hates the privates, and everyone hates Edina!
Be kind. Rewind.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

O-townClown wrote: ↑Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:19 am
kpryan88 wrote: ↑Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:09 amSo, basically, we know who the rest of the state is cheering against... friggin cake eaters. 😜

That time of year when the North hates the Metro, the Metro hates the privates, and everyone hates Edina!
To clarify, it's a parody account and not Dave's

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

KSTP has highlights from a bunch of the games last night (and all week)...

https://kstp.com/sports/kstp-sports-boy ... 80/?cat=81
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

east hockey wrote: ↑Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:13 am

Lee
SPOILER!!!
Trout

Post by Trout »

[quote=TheNightman post_id=731792 time=1551322910 user_id=13936]
Hill wins. The classic will be happening again.
[/quote]

May be "the classic" 4AA final ...

But I would say Stillwater vs. Hill has been the class of the 4AA section games the last 6 years with Hill getting to State 3 times and Stillwater 2 times (this year to be determined). All the Pony vs. HM games have been barnburners tied or within 1 goal with less than 5 min to go. Last night was no different. (Stillwater kid Karr gets the first goal...always adds to the intrigue).

Even last year when WBL was clearly the class of the section they went backwards in the final. Will be very interesting to see if this WBL grips their sticks a little too tight as they have for the past 10 years.

When you look at the Youth programs Stillwater won every major D2 title this year (Mahtomedi may be the second best in youth in D2 not WBL) and has been a top rated team in the state at all the levels. From a depth perspective it looks like (from the rankings) only Edina, and OMG are better. Ponies youth on par with at least all the other major players (Tonka, EP, Chaska Chan, Wayzata). No other east side program is there with the exception of maybe Woodbury who since the split of high schools (East Ridge and Woodbury) now seems to be a feeder program for Cretin and Hill. I don't believe WBL has a single top ten team at the youth level and looks like they have significantly less depth than Stillwater.

With all that said I am rooting for the Bears. They have had a very nice year. Unlike Stillwater this WBL team has won all their close games (at least 8 1 goal wins and several in OT) Stillwater lost 8 games by 1 goal and multiple in OT... Maybe that bodes well for them.

Go Bears! good luck.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote: ↑Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:20 am

Lee
SPOILER!!!
It is a great 'quote' regardless.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

elliott70 wrote: ↑Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:35 am
northwoods oldtimer wrote: ↑Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:20 am

Lee
SPOILER!!!
It is a great 'quote' regardless.
Spoiler as in I thought that was spehar :lol: :lol: :lol:
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

east hockey wrote: ↑Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:13 am To clarify, it's a parody account and not Dave's
I’m not buying it.