Class A Top 20 1/27/19

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Stang5280

Class A Top 20 1/27/19

Post by Stang5280 »

Whoa, what a week. After what seemed like a routine past few weeks with only minor changes in the rankings, I really had my work cut out for me in trying to sort things out. We had two matchups between top ten teams, ties galore, and finally a change among our top four teams. Without further ado, here’s my best attempt to make order out of chaos.

1. Hermantown (14-3-1) (LW 1)
W 13-1 @ Hibbing, W 8-0 @ Proctor
As expected, the Hawks dismantled Hibbing and Proctor to remain atop their perch at numero uno. Things are a lot more interesting this coming week, hosting an improving Virginia group before confronting Cloquet and Mahtomedi.

2. St. Cloud Cathedral (17-2-0) (LW 2)
W 3-1 vs Little Falls, L 2-5 @ Moorhead
The Crusaders struggled with Little Falls, letting the Flyers hang around within a goal until late in the third. Moorhead then pounded Cathedral on Saturday, jumping out to 4-0 lead. While these performances were poor by SCC’s standards this season, they hardly seem to be cause for concern. The schedule lightens up temporarily with road trips to Wadena and Lourdes.

3. East Grand Forks (15-4-0) (LW 4)
W 4-3 (OT) @ TRF, W 7-1 @ Lake of the Woods
The Wave picked up a huge section win at TRF, erasing a two-goal deficit in the third before scoring again in the extra frame. EGF then routed LoTW to improve to 6-0 in section play. They now are firmly in command of the race for the top seed in 8A. EGF next faces Crookston before heading across the river to attempt to avenge an earlier loss to GF Central, the top dog in ND.

4. Totino-Grace (14-5-0) (LW 7)
W 5-1 @ Mahtomedi, W 7-4 vs Osseo
In one of the more impressive Class A performances of the season, the Eagles knocked off Mahtomedi, largely thanks to a huge third period. TG has now all but locked up the top seed in 4A. They handled Osseo with relative ease two nights later, jumping out to a big lead before the Orioles pecked back in the third. Two more NWSC West foes are on the docket as TG hosts Spring Lake Park and Irondale.

5. Mahtomedi (14-3-1) (LW 3)
L 1-5 vs Totino, W 11-2 vs Simley
The Zephyrs suffered their first Class A loss of the year, and lost their grasp on the 4A top seed in the process. While the score probably isn’t indicative of the game flow, Mahtomedi has struggled to score against better teams lately. That was not the case with Simley, against whom the Zephyrs took out their frustrations. Things don’t get any easier this week with Stillwater and Orono on the slate.

6. Alexandria (14-4-0) (LW 6)
W 5-2 vs River Lakes, W 4-2 vs Bemidji
Two solid if unspectacular performances leave the Cardinals in place at #6, despite all the chaos around them in the rankings. Bemidji has been playing well of late, so that qualifies as a fairly strong win. Alex has two upcoming sectional home games against the two 6A Falls teams, Fergus and Little.

7. Thief River Falls (12-5-3) (LW 5)
L 3-4 (OT) vs EGF, T 2-2 vs Denfeld, W 1-0 vs Hibbing
Not a great week for the Prowlers, who let a golden opportunity slip away by surrendering three straight goals in the OT loss to EGF. The difficulties continued against Denfeld, allowing a late tying goal, and then barely escaping lowly Hibbing with a late goal of their own. TRF has the defense and goaltending to compete with anyone, but their offensive limitations are concerning. Only one game this week, as they host Crookston Thursday.

8. Orono (11-7-0) (LW 9)
W 7-3 @ Delano, L 2-4 @ Holy Family
The Spartans bump up a spot after showing well in a split. They pulled away from Delano with a four-goal burst to secure an important section win, then gave Holy Family a scare Thursday evening. The Fire needed two goals in the third, plus an empty-netter, to pull out the win. Orono travels west on Highway 12 to Litchfield Tuesday night before a big game against Mahtomedi later in the week.

9. Monticello (14-5-1) (LW 11)
W 5-2 vs Rogers, W 4-2 @ Little Falls
The Moose had a nice week, dispatching AA conference rival Rogers with a four-goal final stanza before handling Little Falls in a chippy midweek road game. That consistency is enough to keep them moving up the rankings. Monticello hosts an unpredictable LDC squad on Thursday.

10. Warroad (11-8-1) (LW 10)
W 10-0 vs Park Rapids, W 7-0 vs Hibbing, T 2-2 vs Denfeld
The Warriors clobbered poor Park Rapids and Hibbing, then needed a furious final period comeback to tie Denfeld. All in all, this leaves them treading water at the ten spot. Warroad’s only contest this week is their rivalry rumble at Roseau.

11. Sartell-St. Stephen (14-5-0) [LW 8]
L 2-6 @ Brainerd, W 4-3 (OT) @ Minneapolis, W 7-0 vs Sauk Rapids
The Sabres were thumped again by a Brainerd squad that has been playing quite well recently. They then scraped by a mediocre Minneapolis group with a PP goal late in extra time, before righting the ship against struggling Sauk Rapids. Sartell next squares off with Little Falls in a big 6A game, followed by St. Cloud.

12. Greenway (8-13-0) (LW 12)
W 6-4 vs I-Falls, W 3-1 vs Virginia
It wasn’t pretty, but the Raiders finally returned to the win column after dropping three in a row and five of their last six games. Greenway‘s string of 7A opponents continues when Eveleth visits Thursday evening.

13. Duluth Denfeld (9-6-3) (LW NR)
T 2-2 @ TRF, T 2-2 @ Warroad
Fit to be tied? The Hunters traveled across the northern tier of the state and came away with identical results against two higher-ranked opponents. While Denfeld has been inconsistent, they do have some strong results mixed in along the way. Three winnable games are coming up, with 7A foes Eveleth and Hibbing coming to Heritage, followed by a trip to Pine City.

14. Minnesota River(16-3-0) (LW 15)
W 6-4 vs New Ulm, W 8-2 @ Redwood Valley, W 9-1 Austin
In their most important recent contest, MR avenged an earlier loss to New Ulm by racing out to a 4-0 lead, then thwarting a late rally. They then just pummeled Redwood Valley and Austin later in the week. Next up in the Bulldogs’ dish is a rematch with Marshall that will decide the Big South title.

15. Mound Westonka (14-6-0) (LW 13)
L 4-8 @ Gentry, W 6-1 @ Luverne
I really didn’t know what to do with this spot, as no one else jumped out as being deserving of a write up. Of course the White Hawks stabbed me in the back as soon as I put any faith in them, with a blowout loss to mediocre Gentry. At least they managed to bounce back against Luverne, and dominated play during the time I watched. Mound next faces two important sectional contests against Delano and Waconia.

Out: Marshall (LW 14)

Next Five Up (what the heck, let’s rank ‘em):

16. Albert Lea (11-6-0)
W 6-1 vs Rochester Century

17. Marshall (17-2–1)
W 4-1 @ Redwood Valley, T 2-2 vs LDC

18. Mankato East (11-6-1)
W 4-1 vs Faribault, W 6-2 @ Rochester JM

19. North Branch (13-6-2)
L 3-4 (OT) @ Superior, W 5-2 @ St. Francis, L 2-3 @ Rogers

20. Delano (9-9-1)
L 3-7 vs Orono, W 5-1 vs Waconia

A few notes:
- The 1A shuffle continues, as Rochester Lourdes falls out after dropping games to Hopkins and Minneapolis (the former was hideous to watch), Albert Lea romped over a pretty good Century team, and Mankato East won its fifth straight.
- Northfield falls out after a 5-2 loss to Rochester Mayo in its only game of the week.
- After weeks in the 14 to 15 range, Marshall finally takes a tumble with a tie to LDC. The Dragons had hit a rough patch coming in, but dominated much of the game.
- North Branch barely missed two chances to score decent wins and move up in the rankings. They are a very young team with talent, but remain inconsistent.
- Honorable mentions go to Northfield, Breck, Lourdes, SWC/Richfield, and SPA (in no particular order). SWC/Richfield especially deserves props for picking up some nice wins lately and putting together a surprisingly good season.
Last edited by Stang5280 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
checco33

Re: Class A Top 20 1/27/19

Post by checco33 »

A
Last edited by checco33 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

checco33 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:25 pm A little perspective on SCC. Little falls they were missing 4 of their top 8 players and against Moorhead were missing 2 of their top players including Warner who makes that team 2-3 points a game better when he’s healthy. he’s that good. That said, they should have shown better against Moorhead. They had no trouble with the speed etc at all...just had some key breakdowns which Moorhead capitalized on. Would love to see that game again with SCC at full strength.
Thanks, that is helpful information. SCC wasn’t anywhere near being in danger of losing their spot at #2, but it did seem odd that they were not up to their usual standards during those two games. I didn’t check the box scores closely, and the Hub’s game log data is often inaccurate in any event. The Crusaders should cruise this week regardless, but hopefully they are back to full strength soon.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Is elliot still saucing?
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

MrBoDangles wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:45 pm Is elliot still saucing?
He was down in the big city for MN Hockey meetings, but I don’t know the extent of the crimes committed against his liver over the weekend.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Stang5280 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:50 pm
MrBoDangles wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:45 pm Is elliot still saucing?
He was down in the big city for MN Hockey meetings, but I don’t know the extent of the crimes committed against his liver over the weekend.
😁
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

I did have one glass of 18 year old scotch.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

1 Hermantown 7A 14-3-1
2 St Cloud Cathedral 6A 17-2-0
3 East Grand Forks 8A 15-4-0
4 Totino 4A 14-5-0
5 Alexandria 6A 14-4-0

6 Mahtomedi 4A 13-3-1
7 Thief River Falls 7A 12-5-3
8 Sartell 6A 14-54-0
9 Warroad 8A 11-8-1
10 Orono 2A 11-7-0

11 Duluth Denfeld 7A 9-6-3
12 Greenway 7A 8-13-0
13 Monticello 5A 14-5-1
14 Virginia 7A 8-13-1
15 Northfield 4A 13-5-0

16 Mound 2A 14-6-0
17 Minnesota River 1A 16-3-0
18 Marshall 3A 17-2-1
19 Delano 2 A 9-9-1
20 Lourdes 1A 13-8-0

Others (in no particular order):
North Branch 5A
Eveleth 7A
Breck 2A
SW Christian 2A
Litchfield 3A
New Ulm 3A
Little Falls 6A
St. Paul Academy 4A
Albert Lea 1A
Mankato East 1A
Princeton 5A
Last edited by elliott70 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

elliott70 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:53 am I did have one glass of 18 year old scotch.
Just ribbing you... Thanks for everything you do for Minnesota hockey.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

MrBoDangles wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:07 am
elliott70 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:53 am I did have one glass of 18 year old scotch.
Just ribbing you... Thanks for everything you do for Minnesota hockey.

It did cost me $23.

And I did not get to see nay games - didn't get the full Friday - Saturday results until Sunday until after I got home.
Fortunately I beat the snow.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Section Forecasts (Section 1 to 4)
Coaches vote does not always follow logic or any certain 'rules'. Coaches vote the way they do for any number of reasons, including trying to position their team in a better spot. My guess at how this will come about is based on my perception as which teams are better.

Section 1
As said two weeks ago, there is no clear number one and no head to head games remaining so every game is important.
Albert Lea is positioning themselves to be considered in the mix
1 - 4: Lourdes, Mankato East & MN River &. Albert Lea
Albert Lea and Mankato East is the big game, other section games are on the schedule, teams that is winning and playing well MAY get the attention of the other coaches. Other than the one big game I guess we wait for the coaches to vote.

Section 2
1-2. Orono & Mound
3-4: SW Christian, Waconia, Breck, Delano, and Minneapolis.
Orono and Mound have at each other again in a couple of weeks. Breck has the toughest schedule left but also gives them the best chance at #3. SW Christian has a fairly easy remaining schedule which could work against them. Delano has Minneapolis, Mound, and Orono left on the schedule so they are in position to claim the #3 spot. Minneapolis has Breck and Delano left so they could challenge for #3.

Section 3
1. Marshall
2. LItchfield
3. New Ulm
4. Hutchinson maybe Luverne
Marshall and Litchfield tied, Luverne tied LItch, New Ulm beat Hutch to lock #3
Luverne has New Ulm and Marshall left to give them at shot athe #4 spot.

Section 4
1. Totino
2. Mahtomedi
3. Northfield
4. St Paul Academy
Totino beat and Mahtomedi on Jan. 22 to lock down #1
Maht is locked in at #2
Northfield looks to have #3 locked up.
St Paul Academy beat Gentry to get a good hold on #4.
So St Paul could make an argument by winning out.
Last edited by elliott70 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Sections 5 - 8

Section 5
1. Monticello
2. North Branch
3. Princeton
4. Chisago Lakes Area with Pine City and Mora/Milaca
Important games remaining that could changes things = Monti vs Princeton, North Branch vs Princeton, Pine City vs Princeton, Chisago vs North Branch and Chisago vs Monti

Section 6
1. St. Cloud Cathedral
2. Alexandria
3. Sartell-St. Stephen
4. Little Falls
Sartell has Little Falls and Alex
Little Falls can throw a wrench in as they have Sartell and Alex.
Barring the upset and the Sartell - Alex game settling 2-3 it is a lock.

Section 7
1. Hermantown
2. Duluth Denfeld
3. Greenway/Nash-Kee
4. Eveleth or Virginia/Mt. Iron-Buhl
Virginia plays well against HT and beats up on Proctor and Hibbing and they get the 4 seed.
Eveleth needs to beat Denfeld once in their two meetings, play well against HT and Greenway and beat up on North Shore (beating Denfeld once, Greenway and North Shore may give them the 3 seed,)

Section 8
1. East Grand Forks
2. Thief River Falls
3. Warroad
4. Detroit Lakes, Crookston, LOW or maybe Kittson (Hallock)
The only games to change this line-up would be EGF against TRF and EGF against Warroad. EGF wins has TRF and Warroad but should have #1 locked.
TRF is #2 and Warroad is #3. Warroad needs to beat EGF and have TF lose to EGF for them to move to 2.
The 4th spot goes to ??? DL on paper, but Crookston and LOW game coming up may be the decider on that spot. Hallock could also argue it belongs to them.
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

elliott70 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:00 pm
Section 6
1. St. Cloud Cathedral
2. Alexandria
3. Sartell-St. Stephen
4. Little Falls or Prairie Centre Area
SCC has a lot of big games but only one on the list is with Little Falls.
Alex and Sartell probably the most pivotal game.
Little Falls can throw a wrench in as they have (besides SCC) Sartell and Alex.
Prairie Centre has an easy schedule and needs to win out (or close to it) and have Little Falls look bad.
This was discussed last week on one of the ranking threads. I don't think Prairie Centre will be in the running for a 5 seed since it is coaches' vote. Fergus Falls and River Lakes will leap frog them based on strength of schedule. Here is what "Where Is F3" posted last week for common opponents for Fergus and River Lakes:

vs. Sauk Rapids: River Lakes W5-3, Fergus Falls L3-2 & W5-4. River Lakes plays SR on 1/4.
vs. Willmar: River Lakes W2-0, Fergus Falls T4-4 and play again tonight. RL Plays Willmar again on 1/31
vs. Detroit Lakes: River Lakes plays DL on 2/2, Fergus Falls L4-1 and T1-1.
vs. Little Falls: River Lakes L1-0, Fergus L6-3, play again on 2/5
vs. Hutch: River Lakes plays Hutch on 2/12, Fergus L7-6 in OT

I am going to work on the Alex and Sartell comparisons hopefully this afternoon. If Alex drops the second game to Sartell, I think the Cardinals will end up the three seed unless Sartell falls apart the rest of the year. Sartell won the first game 1-0 in Alex.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

BSUBeaver wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:04 pm
Section 6
1. St. Cloud Cathedral
2. Alexandria
3. Sartell-St. Stephen
Prairie Centre has an easy schedule and needs to win out (or close to it) and have Little Falls look bad.
This was discussed last week on one of the ranking threads. I don't think Prairie Centre will be in the running for a 5 seed since it is coaches' vote. Fergus Falls and River Lakes will leap frog them based on strength of schedule. Here is what "Where Is F3" posted last week for common opponents for Fergus and River Lakes:

vs. Sauk Rapids: River Lakes W5-3, Fergus Falls L3-2 & W5-4. River Lakes plays SR on 1/4.
vs. Willmar: River Lakes W2-0, Fergus Falls T4-4 and play again tonight. RL Plays Willmar again on 1/31

I am going to work on the Alex and Sartell comparisons hopefully this afternoon. If Alex drops the second game to Sartell, I think the Cardinals will end up the three seed unless Sartell falls apart the rest of the year. Sartell won the first game 1-0 in Alex.
This was before I updated. (see update above).
PC has been dropped from my list, my mind and all things important (to the rankings).
ironranger2

Post by ironranger2 »

elliott70 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:00 pm Sections 5 - 8

Section 5
1. Monticello
2. North Branch
3. Princeton
4. Chisago Lakes Area with Pine City and Mora/Milaca
Important games remaining that could changes things = Monti vs Princeton, North Branch vs Princeton, Pine City vs Princeton, Chisago vs North Branch and Chisago vs Monti

Section 6
1. St. Cloud Cathedral
2. Alexandria
3. Sartell-St. Stephen
4. Little Falls
Sartell has Little Falls and Alex
Little Falls can throw a wrench in as they have Sartell and Alex.
Barring the upset and the Sartell - Alex game settling 2-3 it is a lock.

Section 7
1. Hermantown
2. Duluth Denfeld
3. Greenway/Nash-Kee
4. Eveleth or Virginia/Mt. Iron-Buhl
Virginia plays well against HT and beats up on Proctor and Hibbing and they get the 4 seed.
Eveleth needs to beat Denfeld once in their two meetings, play well against HT and Greenway and beat up on North Shore (beating Denfeld once, Greenway and North Shore may give them the 3 seed,)

Section 8
1. East Grand Forks
2. Thief River Falls
3. Warroad
4. Detroit Lakes, Crookston, LOW or maybe Kittson (Hallock)
The only games to change this line-up would be EGF against TRF and EGF against Warroad. EGF wins has TRF and Warroad but should have #1 locked.
TRF is #2 and Warroad is #3. Warroad needs to beat EGF and have TF lose to EGF for them to move to 2.
The 4th spot goes to ??? DL on paper, but Crookston and LOW game coming up may be the decider on that spot. Hallock could also argue it belongs to them.
I think the only way Eveleth gets the 4 seed over Virginia is if they sweep Denfeld, beat North Shore and play Greenway/Hermantown close. Even then I don't think it will matter. The loss to Hibbing pretty much keeps them at 5, plus I think they lose to HT/Greenway by a good amount, probably split with Denfeld and beat North Shore.

Guessing the rematch will be in Virginia for the 4/5 game. Should be a good one. Unfortunately, winner gets Hermantown.
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

elliott70 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:08 pm
BSUBeaver wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:04 pm
Section 6
1. St. Cloud Cathedral
2. Alexandria
3. Sartell-St. Stephen

This was before I updated. (see update above).
PC has been dropped from my list, my mind and all things important (to the rankings).
Got it, and thanks for your efforts on this. It is getting to be an exciting time of year!

EDIT: Sartell and Alex play again on February 7 in Sartell (Sartell won 1-0 earlier). Here is who each has left:

Little Falls: at Sartell, at Alexandria (Alex won 2-1 earlier)
St Cloud: vs Sartell (Sartell won 3-1 earlier), vs Alexandria (Alex 5-4 OT earlier)
Willmar: vs. Sartell, Alex already beat Willmar 8-0 and 11-1
Mankato West: vs. Sartell, game with Alex was postponed due to weather, twice
Fergus Falls: at Sartell (Sartell won 6-2 earlier), at Alexandria (Alex won 7-2 earlier)
Brainerd: at Alexandria (Alex won 4-1 earlier), Sartell lost 6-2 and 3-0 to Brainerd
East Grand Forks: at Alexandria (Alex lost 7-1 earlier)
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

elliott70 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:57 am Section 2
1-2. Orono & Mound
3-4: SW Christian, Waconia, Breck, Delano, and Minneapolis.
Orono and Mound have at each other again in a couple of weeks. Breck has the toughest schedule left but also gives them the best chance at #3. SW Christian has a fairly easy remaining schedule which could work against them. Delano ahs a recent win over Orono and Minneapolis left on the schedule so they are in position to claim the #3 spot. Minneapolis has Breck and Delano left so they could challenge for #3.
Actually, Delano lost to Orono 7-3 on Tuesday (1/22), and also has a loss to Breck earlier in the season, so I think the Mustangs are currently the third seed (4-1 in section, with wins over Delano and Minneapolis). That said, Delano still has Mound, Orono, and Minneapolis left on the schedule, so they could play their way back ahead of Breck, and possibly even Mound, whom they previously shut out 5-0.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Just FYI, Elliott, you have Northfield listed as 14-4 in your rankings; they are actually 13-5 after losing to Mayo 5-2. I’m not sure if that changes your opinion of them, but that is why I dinged them in my rankings.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Dang, I was hoping Delano could shade Breck out.

:lol:
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

elliott70 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:29 pm Dang, I was hoping Delano could shade Breck out.

:lol:
Such a hater, ha ha. It certainly still could happen, and seeding probably doesn’t matter much in that mess of a section, beyond the top seed having a much easier QF game. The lamest thing is that all games were moved from Parade to St. Louis Park, as if Minneapolis has some big home ice advantage.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

PageStat Top 25 Class A Teams
Thru games of 1/26/19
Overall ranking in parentheses

1 (7) HERMANTOWN 7A
2 (21) ST CLOUD CATHEDRAL 6A
3 (25) EAST GRAND FORKS 8A
4 (28) TOTINO-GRACE 4A
5 (29) MAHTOMEDI 4A
6 (38) ALEXANDRIA 6A
7 (41) ORONO 2A
8 (45) SARTELL 6A
9 (47) GREENWAY 7A
10 (50) WARROAD 8A
11 (52) MONTICELLO 5A
12 (56) THIEF RIVER FALLS 8A
13 (62) DULUTH DENFELD 7A
14 (63) DELANO 2A
15 (68) PRINCETON 5A
16 (70) MARSHALL 3A
17 (72) MINNESOTA RIVER 1A
18 (73) BRECK 2A
19 (74) NORTH BRANCH 5A
20 (75) NORTHFIELD 4A
21 (76) MOUND WESTONKA 2A
22 (78) VIRGINIA 7A
23 (79) ALBERT LEA 1A
24 (79) MANKATO EAST 1A
25 (80) LITTLE FALLS 6A

Not much change among the top 12 or so teams this week. The team with the most upward mobility was Minnesota River, while Mound Westonka took the biggest tumble. Albert Lea and Little Falls are new to the top 25 this week. Interestingly, most Class A teams dropped in the overall rankings, even if they remained in the same relative spot among their peers.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Prediction of class A teams to state by pagestat

1 (7) HERMANTOWN 7A
4 (28) TOTINO-GRACE 4A
7 (41) ORONO 2A
11 (52) MONTICELLO 5A
16 (70) MARSHALL 3A

Hard to argue against these teams, but
1A 4 teams with a good chance
2A 3 teams, maybe 4
3A perhaps 4 or 5
4 A two teams
5A 3 teams
6A 3 teams
7A 1 team but two that could pull an upset
8A 3 teams

Section 6 7 8 have clear favorites.
Sections 1 2 5 are toss ups

State belongs to Hermantown but after last year we know better than engrave a name on the trophy. Any of the top 4 could be the champ or another rep from their section if they don't make it to the X.
And any of the other 4 sections are capable of an upset.
So if you don't like class A, I guess you are just a snob.

:D
Last edited by elliott70 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
zooomx

Post by zooomx »

elliott70 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:30 am Prediction of class A teams to state by pagestat

1 (7) HERMANTOWN 7A
4 (28) TOTINO-GRACE 4A
7 (41) ORONO 2A
11 (52) MONTICELLO 5A
16 (70) MARSHALL 3A

2A 3 teams, maybe 4
3A perhaps 4 or 5
4 A two teams
5A 3 teams
6A 3 teams
8A 3 teams

State belongs to Hermantown but after last year we know better than engrave a name on the trophy. Any of the top 4 could be the champ or another rep from their section if they don't make it to the X.

Agreed on most of this except, of course, section 6 having a clear favorite. Last year was not necessarily a fluke. The team that beat SCC and Hermantown last year is pretty much in tact and healthy. I know you are kind of saying a similar thing, but I would call 6A a toss up before I would call 5A a toss up. [-X
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

zooomx wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:36 pm
elliott70 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:30 am Prediction of class A teams to state by pagestat

1 (7) HERMANTOWN 7A
4 (28) TOTINO-GRACE 4A
7 (41) ORONO 2A
11 (52) MONTICELLO 5A
16 (70) MARSHALL 3A

2A 3 teams, maybe 4
3A perhaps 4 or 5
4 A two teams
5A 3 teams
6A 3 teams
8A 3 teams

Agreed on most of this except, of course, section 6 having a clear favorite. Last year was not necessarily a fluke. The team that beat SCC and Hermantown last year is pretty much in tact and healthy. I know you are kind of saying a similar thing, but I would call 6A a toss up before I would call 5A a toss up. [-X
Agree! Section 6 has a strong possibility of being a wild one. It will be interesting to see if the injury to Warner at SCC (talked about in the Injury Thread) keeps him out or if he will play through it. And the projected semifinal between Alex and Sartell could really be a barn burner. I have that semifinal date on my calendar, hopefully Alex gets the two seed and home ice.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

BSUBeaver wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:25 am
zooomx wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:36 pm

1 (7) HERMANTOWN 7A
4 (28) TOTINO-GRACE 4A
7 (41) ORONO 2A
11 (52) MONTICELLO 5A
16 (70) MARSHALL 3A

2A 3 teams, maybe 4
3A perhaps 4 or 5
4 A two teams
5A 3 teams
6A 3 teams
8A 3 teams

Agree! Section 6 has a strong possibility of being a wild one. It will be interesting to see if the injury to Warner at SCC (talked about in the Injury Thread) keeps him out or if he will play through it. And the projected semifinal between Alex and Sartell could really be a barn burner. I have that semifinal date on my calendar, hopefully Alex gets the two seed and home ice.
Aren't semifinal games at the MAC? No home ice advantage (except for SCC).