Thoughts on 5AA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

PuckNA

Thoughts on 5AA

Post by PuckNA »

Obvious Maple Grove/Blaine love, but anyone else deserving love?!? Some close games some not, CP over DE, Totino over CP, Centennial close games with Blaine, MG, DE, Andover, but losses to AC...

I know some of the things I see, but am way more curious what you guys see... because as my wife tells me.. "Your opinion doesn't count..."
SpreadOut!

Re: Thoughts on 5AA

Post by SpreadOut! »

Maple Grove is favorite, with Blaine a close second. Champlin Park and Centennial battling for 3 and 4 seeds, and after that it doesn’t really matter. Would be very surprised if state tourney representative is not Maple Grove or Blaine. Centennial played both close, but doesn’t seem consistent enough to beat both MG and Blaine consecutively, which they almost assuredly would have to to make state. If there is a surprise tourney representative, I think it’s more likely to be Champlin Park. CP’s goalie is best in state, and we all know that goalies can steal wins in playoffs. Will be curious to see if MG dominates this section after this year for foreseeable future. At the youth level, every age group from MG’s current sophomore class down is loaded and dominates. Right now, it seems like Maple Grove and Edina are by far the strongest youth programs in state. Sure, both have will continue to lose kids before high school to USNTDP and other opportunities, but they are so deep that I don’t think it will matter much.
PuckNA

Post by PuckNA »

Agreed:

My thoughts..

MG is team to beat, very good depth up front, soph class (and Janike) are good additions to scoring and puck control. D might be suspect after this year, but goaltender pretty solid for next couple. Scoring is lead by underclassmen 5 in top 10 for the team and leader is freshman (probably gone soon to NDTP like his brother?). Will be tough team next couple for sure.

Blaine is close second, but not as deep talent wise, one standout sophomore in Reimann, but not a lot of support after this year. Back end is iffy after Sr class. Goal-tending is good, but will take a hit next year. Jr. class is heavy and should compete next year for section title with older group. not much in the pipelines after Jr. class graduates.

CP is tough to grade, great goalie, decent talent but up and down, will take big hit next year in nets. Soph class well represented in top 10 for scoring for team. Will be better next year up front and year after. Need to ride hot goalie this year if any chance. After this season they need to find more upfront and for sure on back to complete for top 3 spot.

Centennial is another tough team to grade, goaltenders have been solid (one is sophomore so good future), back-end 3 sophomore D in top 4, with lots of upside one is arguably best D man on roster. Sr class is not as talented as many others in section not game breakers, Jr class has some potential but no high end, soph leads team in scoring and 5 overall in top 10 for this team. Future brighter than present.

After these 4 it's a crap shoot... all programs with dwindling numbers...
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

It's MG in a Brodzinski melt down (dad). Also, insiders say that Jan will not be leaving to NTDP. GB