Hockey Day in MN

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Stang5280

Re: Hockey Day in MN

Post by Stang5280 »

612hockeytown wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:59 pm
O-townClown wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:01 pm
WestMetro wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:38 pm Besides , Blake home ice is on the Hopkins campus 🤔
The school is across the street from Parade Stadium, Parade Park & Parade Ice Garden. Sure looks like a home game.
Honest question. So Blake high school (grades 9-12) is on the Northrup campus next to Parade...Why not play high school games there? Or do they? I never knew there was 3 campuses. Only been to the Blake rink in Hopkins and assumed all kids went there (to the school on that site). The more you know I guess 🤷🏼‍♂️
Blake only plays games at their home arena out in Hopkins. Like many private schools, the modern version of Blake came about through mergers of multiple schools, with Blake’s history being more complicated than most. Originally there were the Blake and Northrop schools in Minneapolis, for boys and girls respectively. Shortly after its founding, Blake moved out to Hopkins (now the middle school campus) in 1912. The ice arena was constructed on this campus in 1964. In the early 70s, Blake and Northrop merged to become coeducational, along with Highcroft Country Day in Wayzata. That is when the current three campus structure came about, with the coed upper school at the Minneapolis Northrop campus.

So Blake already had their own arena for several years before Parade was built in 1973. Also, Parade is owned by the Minneapolis park board, so historically it was only used by the southern Minneapolis schools and youth programs. I’m sure there wasn’t much extra time for Blake to have access to ice, and the city probably wasn’t too thrilled about allowing a private school use its arena. That’s pretty much the background as to why Blake has the split campuses with the arena separated from the high school.