Games Friday 1-4-19

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Games Friday 1-4-19

Post by elliott70 »

Breckenridge/Wahpeton vs Prairie Centre Area at Long Prairie 5:15 PM
Lake of the Woods vs Duluth Denfeld at Duluth Denfeld 5:15 PM

Brainerd vs Roseau at Roseau 6:00 PM
Fergus Falls vs Warroad The Gardens Hockey Arena, Warroad 7:15 PM CST

Wadena-Deer Creek vs Park Rapids Area at Park Rapids 7:00 PM
Little Falls vs Litchfield/Dassel-Cokato at Litchfield 7:00 PM

Virginia/Mt. Iron-Buhl vs Orono at Orono 7:00 PM
International Falls vs Ely/Northeast Range at Ely 7:00 PM

Grand Rapids vs Maple Grove at Maple Grove 7:00 PM
Eagan vs Eastview at Apple Valley 7:00 PM

Greenway/Nash-Kee vs Chaska at Chaska 7:00 PM
Stillwater Area vs Duluth East at Duluth East 7:00 PM

Windom Area vs Dodge County at Kasson 7:00 PM
New Prague vs Waconia at Waconia 7:00 PM

Mora/Milaca vs Southwest Christian at 7:00 PM
Pine City Area vs Sauk Rapids-Rice at Sauk Rapids 7:15 PM

Hermantown vs St. Cloud Cathedral at St. Cloud MAC 7:15 PM
Becker/Big Lake vs St. Paul Highland Park/Central at Highland Park 7:15 PM

Hibbing/Chisholm vs Rochester Mayo at Rochester Graham Arena 7:15 PM
Wayzata vs Alexandria at Alexandria 7:15 PM

Detroit Lakes vs Crookston at Crookston 7:30 PM
May-Port (ND) vs Bagley/Fosston at Bagley 7:00 PM
elliott70

Re: Games Friday 1-4-19

Post by elliott70 »

Game(s) of the Day
Brainerd vs Roseau at Roseau 6:00 PM
Virginia/Mt. Iron-Buhl vs Orono at Orono 7:00 PM

Grand Rapids vs Maple Grove at Maple Grove 7:00 PM
Eagan vs Eastview at Apple Valley 7:00 PM

Stillwater Area vs Duluth East at Duluth East 7:00 PM
New Prague vs Waconia at Waconia 7:00 PM

Hermantown vs St. Cloud Cathedral at St. Cloud MAC 7:15 PM
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Anyone have updates on the Hermantown-Cathedral game? The hub just has it listed as scoreless after one, but I am guessing the game is further along than that.

I am tuning in late to the Chaska-Greenway game, which is knotted at two after two. Should be a great final period.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

1-1 after two for Hermantown and Cathedral.
BigTen

Post by BigTen »

Cathedral Hockey has it on twitter 1-1 after 2 periods. Shots 25-23 HT.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Greenway scored a beautiful goal very early in the third (Lawson, I believe), then Chaska equalized about five minutes later (Warnert from Pitlick). Tied 3-3 with about 8 minutes left.

Update: Greenway scores on a monster blast from the point to go up 4-3.

Update: Heading to OT as Lavelle scores with 40 seconds left and the extra attacker.

Crud, Chaska scores almost right off the bat to win 5-4. Nonetheless a good showing by the Raiders.
Last edited by Stang5280 on Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Stang5280 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:49 pm Greenway scored a beautiful goal very early in the third (Lawson, I believe), then Chaska equalized about five minutes later (Warnert from Pitlick). Tied 3-3 with about 8 minutes left.
Good game brewing down in Chaska!
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Hermantown and Cathedral are in OT.
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

Alexandria 3, Wayzata 1, start of the third. Shots 24-11 Wayzata.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

BSUBeaver wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:15 pm Alexandria 3, Wayzata 1, start of the third. Shots 24-11 Wayzata.
Wow, that’s a surprise, particularly after the Sartell game yesterday. Apparently Alex was saving all their goals for Wayzata.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

Joey Pierce scores the winner for Hermantown with 32 seconds left in OT.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

Alex beats Wayzata 3-2.
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

Wayzata outshot Alex 36-14.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Duluth East 7, Stillwater 3, final (EN). Strong offensive night for the Hounds, with 2 goals for Donovan and a hat trick for sophomore Zarley Ziemski, who was only playing in his second game of the season. East ran out to a 5-0 lead before the Ponies crawled back and made it marginally interesting on the strength of 3 PPGs. East will need to take fewer penalties to beat Minnetonka tomorrow, but the new source of offense is a positive sign from their standpoint, and it was a convincing win against a respectable team.

Also, Randolph took hockey59's advice and has Donovan in the old Tufte zone on the PP. :wink: He fired one in from right there, so I'm guessing that little arrangement is around to stay for a while.
kniven

Post by kniven »

karl(east) wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:07 pm Duluth East 7, Stillwater 3, final (EN). Strong offensive night for the Hounds, with 2 goals for Donovan and a hat trick for sophomore Zarley Ziemski, who was only playing in his second game of the season. East ran out to a 5-0 lead before the Ponies crawled back and made it marginally interesting on the strength of 3 PPGs. East will need to take fewer penalties to beat Minnetonka tomorrow, but the new source of offense is a positive sign from their standpoint, and it was a convincing win against a respectable team.

Also, Randolph took hockey59's advice and has Donovan in the old Tufte zone on the PP. :wink: He fired one in from right there, so I'm guessing that little arrangement is around to stay for a while.
Damn it :( Now Stillwater comes to Cloquet tomorrow and they will be pissed!! Looks like the team in purple will have their hands full.....
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Why SW scheduling a long bus ride and tough Friday nite game and then Sat game , following WBL game Thursday night ?

If I’m counting right, this is 6 tough games in 10 days for the ponies

Anyone have insight?
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

WestMetro wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:06 pm Why SW scheduling a long bus ride and tough Friday nite game and then Sat game , following WBL game Thursday night ?

Anyone have insight?
I'm guessing that they are intentionally replicating the state tourney format (Thu-Sat) and possibly still on their holiday break, allowing them to do it two weekends in a row.
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

"Greenway scored a beautiful goal very early in the third (Lawson, I believe), then Chaska equalized about five minutes later (Warnert from Pitlick). Tied 3-3 with about 8 minutes left.

Update: Greenway scores on a monster blast from the point to go up 4-3.

Update: Heading to OT as Lavelle scores with 40 seconds left and the extra attacker.

Crud, Chaska scores almost right off the bat to win 5-4. Nonetheless a good showing by the Raiders."

Good recap, but what was forgotten was the NON-GOAL by Chaska with 30 seconds to go. Not even the Chaska players or fans acknowledged the goal until the ref gave it to them. No one in the arena saw it go in because it never did. I was right to the left of the goal behind the glass and could see it perfectly.

Sad end to a very well played game.
Props to a lot of Chaska playeys, I was impressed, but even more by the Class A Greenway. They played a great game.
Trout

Post by Trout »

[quote=WestMetro post_id=727173 time=1546664778 user_id=22850]
Why SW scheduling a long bus ride and tough Friday nite game and then Sat game , following WBL game Thursday night ?

Anyone have insight?
[/quote]

Several scheduling issues for Stillwater this year. Late start to season. Hill game moved later in year as neither wanted to play an important game as the first game.of the year. This was the only weekend to slot in up north trip and surprisingly ... or not ... wbl unwilling to move the Thursday game. Ponies gave them 5 ot 6 options but bears would not move it. back to back to back games two weekends in a row and 6 games in 10 days is not good for anyone.

Ponies were dinged up coming into the games last night after emotional tough loss to their rival bears. A game they had in hand but shot themselves in the foot a little.

Likely down at least 4 kids for CEC today so might not be much better. They need to get healthy for hill Thursday. They are probably better than they showed last night but East was chomping at the bit after last week. Classic predictable scenario with the way the schedue and recent games played out.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Thanks for the complete analysis Trout!

A brutal non playoff 10 day stretch for a mshsl team !

(Although Moorhead with their travel schedule can probably match it once or twice every year)
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Zamman wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:59 am Good recap, but what was forgotten was the NON-GOAL by Chaska with 30 seconds to go. Not even the Chaska players or fans acknowledged the goal until the ref gave it to them. No one in the arena saw it go in because it never did. I was right to the left of the goal behind the glass and could see it perfectly.

Sad end to a very well played game.
Props to a lot of Chaska playeys, I was impressed, but even more by the Class A Greenway. They played a great game.
Yeah, that was a weird sequence of events. I was watching the game online, and although the feed was not bad it was pretty much impossible to make out what happened on that play. I will take your word that it wasn’t a goal since you were actually there; I was just relaying the scoring plays as announced.

I wasn’t planning on dinging Greenway for that loss in my Sunday rankings, but definitely won’t now that you confirmed it was a phantom goal. I was likewise impressed with both teams. Pitliick was almost unstoppable for Chaska and is really an offensive catalyst for them. While Chaska’s talent advantage was notable, Greenway!s top line held their own, and the Raiders were able to jump into transition with some nice cross-ice passing. If they play that well again today, Orono may be in trouble.