7AA 2018-2019

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

GPGT

Re: 7AA 2018-2019

Post by GPGT »

Thank you!
OldManRiver

Post by OldManRiver »

hockey59 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:04 pm
elliott70 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:17 pm I, like most, thought Cloquet had a shot.
Now I think Andover has a shot. But Randolph has a pact with the devil so my money is on DEast.
That pact must not include winning State Tournaments the past 20 years 😉🏒
That's how the devil works. He's not all good. Just enough to disappoint.
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

GPGT wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:02 pm Sorry if this was asked already, but will the East cloquet game be live streamed or on tv anywhere? I have dish, so I don't believe I have my9
My9 is on DISH if you have local channels to Duluth on your list.
That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing »

2-1 DE in OT. Thanks Kniven for the choir concert.

Both goalies played really well. Carlson had numerous great saves and Rabold did as well. Seems like CEC has found their legs and should make for an interesting rest of the season. Really liked watching Rassmusen play, and the Bakers played good as well. Should be fun to watch these guys the rest of the year.

On DE, Donovan played good, speed was evident but didn't see many good opportunities for him because of the speed. Heard Lyles name a lot, and he seemed to play the gritty game that the hounds are known for. Good tenacity especially in front of the net, resulting in the tying goal for the game. Anderson also played really well with an amazing deke on Carlson to win it in OT.

Great game to watch, glad Kniven got it online for us.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Well, son-of-a-gun, another close one but one more loss, nonetheless. For better or for worse, the CEC Lumberjacks will always be my numero uno 🤓👍
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

kniven wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:57 pm Well, son-of-a-gun, another close one but one more loss, nonetheless. For better or for worse, the CEC Lumberjacks will always be my numero uno 🤓👍
They played really well tonight, but unfortunately found a way to lose in deflating fashion. But they’ll get a least one more shot at DE this year, maybe two...
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

I wouldn't describe East-Cloquet as a good game tonight--at times it was actually pretty plodding--but the later stages were certainly entertaining.

East has been trapped to death in the early going by opponents, and while they are well-built to grind through that and still find ways to win, it's been a slog. They'll need to score more to be a serious front-line contender, and they need to figure out how to start better...I don't think they've had one good first period yet this season. They get to their game later on, grind away, and eventually score enough to (usually) win. I thought both teams did a good job of limiting the number of quality chances their tenders had to face.

Credit to Cloquet for sticking to the game plan and limiting space. Anderson's breakaway might have been the first odd-man rush the Hounds had all game. Their gameplan is the reason why Donovan's speed couldn't do much...there were always so many guys back to hold him in check. If they stick to the system like that they're certainly capable of playing with anyone, and they cleaned up a lot of the slop in their own end that I saw from them in the Jefferson game. Also, no Mason Langenbrunner tonight? Any intel there?

Very strong special teams from East tonight, so perhaps it was fitting that the winning goal, while not shorthanded, came as a direct result of a (rather sketchy) penalty call that let Anderson sneak behind the D when he left the box. There was a bit of embellishment on both sides in this one, though I did think the penalty on Cloquet ahead of the Lyle goal was legit. Credit to the Hounds for keeping at it and never letting the early frustrations spiral out of control.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Mason out with a concussion.
That guy for that thing

karl(east) wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:22 pm I wouldn't describe East-Cloquet as a good game tonight--at times it was actually pretty plodding--but the later stages were certainly entertaining.

East has been trapped to death in the early going by opponents, and while they are well-built to grind through that and still find ways to win, it's been a slog. They'll need to score more to be a serious front-line contender, and they need to figure out how to start better...I don't think they've had one good first period yet this season. They get to their game later on, grind away, and eventually score enough to (usually) win. I thought both teams did a good job of limiting the number of quality chances their tenders had to face.

Credit to Cloquet for sticking to the game plan and limiting space. Anderson's breakaway might have been the first odd-man rush the Hounds had all game. Their gameplan is the reason why Donovan's speed couldn't do much...there were always so many guys back to hold him in check. If they stick to the system like that they're certainly capable of playing with anyone, and they cleaned up a lot of the slop in their own end that I saw from them in the Jefferson game. Also, no Mason Langenbrunner tonight? Any intel there?

Very strong special teams from East tonight, so perhaps it was fitting that the winning goal, while not shorthanded, came as a direct result of a (rather sketchy) penalty call that let Anderson sneak behind the D when he left the box. There was a bit of embellishment on both sides in this one, though I did think the penalty on Cloquet ahead of the Lyle goal was legit. Credit to the Hounds for keeping at it and never letting the early frustrations spiral out of control.
I think that if Ryder wants to live up to his hype, he needs to start breaking through game plans that are fairly obvious towards him. There were numerous times where this line couldn't get the puck out if the zone, hell it resulted in the Jack's first goal.

I think hes good, but he needs to step up more if he wants to be the stand out hes supposed to be.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

That guy for that thing wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:40 pm
karl(east) wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:22 pm I wouldn't describe East-Cloquet as a good game tonight--at times it was actually pretty plodding--but the later stages were certainly entertaining.

I think that if Ryder wants to live up to his hype, he needs to start breaking through game plans that are fairly obvious towards him. There were numerous times where this line couldn't get the puck out if the zone, hell it resulted in the Jack's first goal.

I think hes good, but he needs to step up more if he wants to be the stand out hes supposed to be.
I don't disagree, and saw the same thing you did on the first Cloquet goal. It was odd to me that he was the one up along the boards while his linemates were getting outworked down low. They should give him as many chances as they can to carry the puck end to end or spring someone like Erickson with a pass.

It will help when Randolph settles on some linemates for him. He started the season with Baker and Lyle, but it's been a steady rotation, with Erickson out there with him all night tonight, but Anderson centering the line for a while, a shift or two from Jones on that top line, and finally Fitzgerald in the later stages. That last combination seemed the most effective of the three, though I'm not opposed to further Jones experimentation, too. I'm not sure it makes sense to have Donovan and Anderson (arguably their best two puck handlers) on the same line, and Lyle-Anderson-Baker seemed to be a strong second unit later in this one. Chemistry is always a challenge when you have one player who moves at a different speed from his teammates (especially one who spent the past 2+ seasons with two now-graduated linemates), and in theory is something that should improve over time.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

DE is a different team from last year. Still very disciplined in style, with a lot of depth. Because of this, they can hang with any team in MN. But they lack that GW “blitzkreig” type of scoring ability they had last year. Ryder skates like the wind, but for this team to ramp up to a higher level, he needs to start burying the puck, which so far he isn’t doing enough of☝️
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

kniven wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:33 pm Mason out with a concussion.
Very unfortunate loss for CEC.
Result of the behind the play hit in the Eagan game correct?
Last edited by northwoods oldtimer on Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
That guy for that thing

hockey59 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:38 am DE is a different team from last year. Still very disciplined in style, with a lot of depth. Because of this, they can hang with any team in MN. But they lack that GW “blitzkreig” type of scoring ability they had last year. Ryder skates like the wind, but for this team to ramp up to a higher level, he needs to start burying the puck, which so far he isn’t doing enough of☝️
Ryder has never been the goal scorer on the team. He is great at finding seams and getting the puck to where it needs to be. How many time during last year, elite league, summer fest and whatever else he skated in, has he missed family easy backdoor shots, or over thought a play? He is so focused on being the guy everyone expects him too he is trying to score too much. If a team is going to focus so much on keeping him from scoring, you need to have him set everyone else up. Go wheel around the outside of the zone, suck everyone to you and away from the net and just give it to someone who will just camp there. Hell that's how Lyles goal was tonight. Move people out of the slot and just let him tap it in. He did the same thing vs Tonka in the ship last year, and I think all 3 of his vs DM in the 7AA semis.
northwoods oldtimer

Some of you East guys are having a 1st line hang over from last season expecting an RD line to score
at the same clip. Ain't going to happen.
Dynamic scoring lines like (Mageau, Worth, Donovan) don't come around every year in HS and they had 2 years as a unit to gel and put up big numbers.
The Miller, McGlaughlin, Hain type that can beat you multitude of ways are a rare commodity in the northland.
The 2019 version at East will keep it tight to the belt, be happy you have the depth of personnel to play a defense style and still earn wins and be top ranked club in the state.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:33 am Some of you East guys are having a 1st line hang over from last season expecting an RD line to score
Dynamic scoring lines like (Mageau, Worth, Donovan) don't come around every year in HS and they had 2 years as a unit to gel and put up big numbers.
The Miller, McGlaughlin, Hain type that can beat you multitude of ways are a rare commodity in the northland.
The 2019 version at East will keep it tight to the belt, be happy you have the depth of personnel to play a defense style and still earn wins and be top ranked club in the state.
The won’t be the top ranked team in the State the way they’re currently playing. Realize Ryder will never be the goal scorer Worth was, that’s not realistic or what I’m implying. But based on the rushes he creates and shooting opportunities he creates, he needs to finish better on these numerous chances. I’ve seen Tonka play once (against STA) and DE 3 times now & while DE is capable of scraping out a low scoring, grinding win over Tonka, if the refs call it tight or DE gets behind and has to open it up, they’ll get rolled by Tonka (who are not WBL) 😉Simply too fast & too precise with their passes for DE to handle in this type of game.☝️DE schedule doesn’t match the difficulty of a Lake conf schedule either, I frankly don’t think DE schedule is as tough this year with Centennial, Duluth Marshall being way down this year, to name a couple teams. Not saying they’ll beat duluth east (they haven’t since like 2004) but Superior is one of the few teams that’s actually quite improved compared to last year, and I predict they give Cloquet (who they actually beat last year) Hermantown & DE all competitive games (this year) ☝️
Last edited by hockey59 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
That guy for that thing

hockey59 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:54 am
northwoods oldtimer wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:33 am Some of you East guys are having a 1st line hang over from last season expecting an RD line to score
The won’t be the top ranked team in the State the way they’re currently playing. Realize Ryder will never be the goal scorer Worth was, that’s not realistic or what I’m implying. But based on the rushes he creates and shooting opportunities he creates, he needs to finish better on these numerous chances. I’ve seen Tonka play once (against STA) and DE 3 times now & while DE is capable of scraping out a low scoring, grinding win over Tonka, if the refs call it tight or DE gets behind and has to open it up, they’ll get rolled by Tonka (who are not WBL) 😉Simply too fast & too precise with their passes for DE to handle in this type of game.☝️DE schedule doesn’t match the difficulty of a Lake conf schedule either, I frankly don’t think DE schedule is as tough this year with Centennial, Duluth Marshall being way down this year, to name a couple teams.
I think he needs to spread the puck more, with teams game planning for him like CEC and Andover did. Those games showed how easy it is to shut DEast down if you stop Ryder from getting any sort of time. If he were to suck attention, and then dish it, DEast would be in a lot better situation. Yes, he needs to capitalize more, but if he can't break away from a game plan against him, they need to adjust their own game plan.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

That guy for that thing wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:59 am
The won’t be the top ranked team in the State the way they’re currently playing. Realize Ryder will never be the goal scorer Worth was, that’s not realistic or what I’m implying. But based on the rushes he creates and shooting opportunities he creates, he needs to finish better on these numerous chances. I’ve seen Tonka play once (against STA) and DE 3 times now & while DE is capable of scraping out a low scoring, grinding win over Tonka, if the refs call it tight or DE gets behind and has to open it up, they’ll get rolled by Tonka (who are not WBL) 😉Simply too fast & too precise with their passes for DE to handle in this type of game.☝️DE schedule doesn’t match the difficulty of a Lake conf schedule either, I frankly don’t think DE schedule is as tough this year with Centennial, Duluth Marshall being way down this year, to name a couple teams.
I think he needs to spread the puck more, with teams game planning for him like CEC and Andover did. Those games showed how easy it is to shut DEast down if you stop Ryder from getting any sort of time. If he were to suck attention, and then dish it, DEast would be in a lot better situation. Yes, he needs to capitalize more, but if he can't break away from a game plan against him, they need to adjust their own game plan.
My observation is Ryder has been playing his normal style, flying around & trying to create for his teammates and ripping some shots from the perimeter. Problem is teams know this isn’t the Elite League (where he could set up Biondi) or last year with Worth finishing & Mageau doing the dirty work in the corners (and no LaMaster at the point to break down D coverage going high-low) and opposing teams have accordingly adjusted their defensive schemes to take advantage ☝️
That guy for that thing

hockey59 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:27 am
That guy for that thing wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:59 am

My observation is Ryder has been playing his normal style, flying around & trying to create for his teammates and ripping some shots from the perimeter. Problem is teams know this isn’t the Elite League (where he could set up Biondi) or last year with Worth finishing & Mageau doing the dirty work in the corners (and no LaMaster at the point to break down D coverage going high-low) and opposing teams have accordingly adjusted their defensive schemes to take advantage ☝️
I agree with most of that. I think he does have the guys to give it too, in Anderson, and Erickson. Hell, if Lyle gets out there with him he should be able to jam anything home out front, Lyle was tied for 5th in EL goals, and the 2nd goal scorer on DE last year with Worth playing right in front of him, and Worth wasn't really generous with his shifting.

I think he needs to trust his teammates more, and not look at it like hes on an island.
kniven

Post by kniven »

northwoods oldtimer wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:52 am
kniven wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:33 pm Mason out with a concussion.
Very unfortunate loss for CEC.
Result of the behind the play hit in the Eagan game correct?

I’m not sure. I wasn’t there.
kniven

Post by kniven »

It looks like the early in the season seedings will be:

Andover
East
Elk
CEC/Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids/CEC

Which is interesting because it would mean a possible Duluth East/Cloquet Final showdown, and that is what I want more than anything!!!
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

kniven wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:45 pm It looks like the early in the season seedings will be:

Andover
East
Elk
CEC/Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids/CEC

Which is interesting because it would mean a possible Duluth East/Cloquet Final showdown, and that is what I want more than anything!!!
For a team that played well, but kicked a likely victory to the curb by taking an undisciplined penalty late...and then forgetting about a guy coming out of the PB in OT...beating the Huskies will be a TALL task 🏒
northwoods oldtimer

kniven wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:45 pm It looks like the early in the season seedings will be:

Andover
East
Elk
CEC/Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids/CEC

Knivsy, no way CEC will finish below Rapidly Declining. They are lacking some talent in 2019 as evidenced by their shellacking
at the hands of the Hornets.
kniven

Post by kniven »

northwoods oldtimer wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:30 pm

Andover
East
Elk
CEC/Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids/CEC

Knivsy, no way CEC will finish below Rapidly Declining. They are lacking some talent in 2019 as evidenced by their shellacking
I’m just thinking about the QRF rankings. And at Rapids the last game of the year. I do think it’s a slight possibly Cloquet goes to Rapids in the first round.
northwoods oldtimer

kniven wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:38 pm
northwoods oldtimer wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:30 pm

Andover
East
Elk
CEC/Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids/CEC

I’m just thinking about the QRF rankings. And at Rapids the last game of the year. I do think it’s a slight possibly Cloquet goes to Rapids in the first round.
Knivsy, AD1 + AD2 = braindead scheduling!!
Not a good return on our public dollar #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

By the time it all shakes out I think it will be (seeding based on what QRF might be):
1 Andover 6-0-0
2 Duluth East 4-1-0
3 CEC 1-6-0

4 - 5 Elk River 3-3-0 or Grand Rapids 3-5-0
6 - 7 Duluth Marshall 2-3-0 or possibly St. Francis 2-3-0

8 Forest Lake 1-4-0
9 Cambridge 1-5-0