AA Championship Game: #3 Duluth East vs. #1 Minnetonka

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Duluth East
47%
Minnetonka
53%

Total votes: 32

Ref22

Post by Ref22 »

Gotta go with Big D Bobby tonight. he's just takes the game over
Last edited by Ref22 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ref22

Post by Ref22 »

What's the scoop on Loheit? He is a potential draft pick this year but doesn't seem to score.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

WestMetro wrote:Well said as usual Karl

Good point about Tonka D carrying the puck in deep. Better be careful ,otherwise Worth will be lurking.

And Fisher needs to stay out of box

Expecting big game out of Lyle tonight, predict will have a couple points, and help to contain Brink

Molenaar for Tonka will be a key to their success tonite. Way too underrated.
Good points WM... if Tonka is to win tonight.. Molenaar is certainly a player who needs to come up big. Regarding Lyle, he’s capable of scoring the winning goal no doubt, but also capable of taking a reckless penalty at a critical time... and the same can be said for Loheit.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

On target 59! Ricky L needs to be careful tonite but not bashful either

You and I having been at the first East Tonka game this year, our opinions ought to count at least even with everyone else, right?
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I'm hoping for a 6-5 type game. I'm going with East in OT.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

I've got Tonka 5-4 in OT with Bobby Orr Brink* scoring the game-winner short-handed, after Luke Loheit is sent to the penalty box for a retribution hit.

* Orr is his middle name, not a nickname.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Ref22 wrote:What's the scoop on Loheit? He is a potential draft pick this year but doesn't seem to score.
Loheit seems to have lots of untapped potential. He is big and skates well for his size. And he is also very young for his grade (late July birthday). He actually only played two years of high school hockey and was still in Bantams as a sophomore. Loheit could well be the type of player who blossoms at the junior level and on into college.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

Stang5280 wrote:
Ref22 wrote:What's the scoop on Loheit? He is a potential draft pick this year but doesn't seem to score.
Loheit seems to have lots of untapped potential. He is big and skates well for his size. And he is also very young for his grade (late July birthday). He actually only played two years of high school hockey and was still in Bantams as a sophomore. Loheit could well be the type of player who blossoms at the junior level and on into college.
From the snippets I found online, Loheit is high energy, hard working, physical, skates well, handles the puck well, and is a true power forward who is usually assigned against the opponent's top line. With Brink, Bayless, Molenaar, et al, he doesn't have to be top scorer but from what I've seen, he's a talented scorer too.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

Free audio stream of Minnetonka v Duluth East:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOni4YkLf98
Ref22

Post by Ref22 »

Stang5280 wrote:
Thanks for the insight!
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Ricky Lyle!!!!!!
ifallsin64

Post by ifallsin64 »

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
GPGT wrote:
What are the chances of getting tickets for this game

There's a lot of tickets out there on Craigslist and the scalpers will also have plenty but be ready to pay $50/ticket for lower level.

Never liked scalpers/Craigslist/eBay selling AA tickets for well over face value, doesn’t seem right for school boy hockey.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

A point of emphasis next season has to be running the goalie, we probably have gone into double digits of this happening just in the televised AA games, with two penalties called.

It happend in sections and the regular season as well. They have to protect the goalies better as they are defenseless.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

It's for all the marbles. I understand boys going hard to the net. Loosen up the penalties on the D preventing guys going hard to the net. Let them lay the lumber and protect the goalie.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

ifallsin64 wrote:PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
GPGT wrote:

There's a lot of tickets out there on Craigslist and the scalpers will also have plenty but be ready to pay $50/ticket for lower level.

Never liked scalpers/Craigslist/eBay selling AA tickets for well over face value, doesn’t seem right for school boy hockey.
It’s called the law of supply & demand. I payed scalper prices last night & didn’t blink an eye...really wanted to go with my son, so I ponied up and have no regrets. Tonight watching the title game on TV with my Dad!
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

SCBlueLiner wrote:It's for all the marbles. I understand boys going hard to the net. Loosen up the penalties on the D preventing guys going hard to the net. Let them lay the lumber and protect the goalie.
I don't care what the game is for, they need to protect the goalie in his crease. Some of this, most of it, isn't going hard to the net. If they call it no one has to lay any lumber. This isn't the NA3HL.

And Screw the Wild......pulling the contract card so the game can't be on the radio. Instead we got Wild pregame for 45 minutes.
Ref22

Post by Ref22 »

This is no goal. Obviously he positioned his foot that way after he knew he missed it..

wow.
Ref22

Post by Ref22 »

goldy313 wrote:
SCBlueLiner wrote:It's for all the marbles. I understand boys going hard to the net. Loosen up the penalties on the D preventing guys going hard to the net. Let them lay the lumber and protect the goalie.
I don't care what the game is for, they need to protect the goalie in his crease. Some of this, most of it, isn't going hard to the net. If they call it no one has to lay any lumber. This isn't the NA3HL.

And Screw the Wild......pulling the contract card so the game can't be on the radio. Instead we got Wild pregame for 45 minutes.
Lol yeah, this is a lot better hockey than the NA3
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

I guess we're mixing in soccer now...
ifallsin64

Post by ifallsin64 »

hockey59 wrote:
ifallsin64 wrote:PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
GPGT wrote:

It’s called the law of supply & demand. I payed scalper prices last night & didn’t blink an eye...really wanted to go with my son, so I ponied up and have no regrets. Tonight watching the title game on TV with my Dad!
Talking with a couple 20 somethings last night sitting next to me, they told me they paid over a hundred a ticket through a ticket broker. I understand supply and demand but when a season ticket holder resells his tickets year after year just for profit, I think it’s wrong.
Ref22

Post by Ref22 »

goldy313 wrote:A point of emphasis next season has to be running the goalie, we probably have gone into double digits of this happening just in the televised AA games, with two penalties called.

It happend in sections and the regular season as well. They have to protect the goalies better as they are defenseless.
It simply doesn't happen in the regular season.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Terrible officiating.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Ref22 wrote:This is no goal. Obviously he positioned his foot that way after he knew he missed it..

wow.
Yep, they blew that one. I saw it live and the ref was standing right there. Tough once he calls it a goal.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

A lot of similarities tonight with last night's East > Edina.
  • Borderline calls going against Duluth.
    The lucky bounce goal.
    Chances not converted where you'd swear they'd bury it.
    Momentum turner where nearly 2-0 up a team went 1-2 down.
    Post/crossbar and out.
Can't wait to see how many people attribute sports' inevitable randomness to "coaching" on the part of Randolph. If Giles gets outcoached when all these things go the wrong way for his team, will the same people say the same tonight if Minnetonka holds on for their first state title?

(I don't subscribe to the always blame the coach theories. I think both Giles and Randolph know what they are doing.)
Be kind. Rewind.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

My God...Hunter Paine is a tripping & (Penalty drawing) hockey playing machine tonight 😉
Last edited by hockey59 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.