What in the world just happened to the Hermantown Hawks?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

zooomx

Post by zooomx »

Section 8 guy wrote:
zooomx wrote:Time to take a shot at Moorhead though. They dropped Alex off their schedule this year. They were happy to schedule Alex when it was a 4 goal drubbing. But beat them and tie them and they run away. How did that work out for you spuds? I root for them over the city schools, but still am a bit salty over them bailing on the schedule.
Are you seriously implying Moorhead dropped Alexandria from their schedule because they were afraid to play them? I don’t know Moorheads schedule real well personally but taking a quick glance it looks like they added Wayzata, Lakeville North, St Thomas Academy and Centennial to the schedule this year. From a distance.....that looks a lot more like jumping into the fire than running from it doesn't it?
I am implying that they would rather play a strong AA team than a strong A team for multiple reasons, including that they are afraid of losing to an A team and the implications on seeding for state. You would think that they would rather play good competition 90 minutes away, than one more 4 hour trip, but whatever. It's sad for many of us who have friends who are Moorhead parents, or for our players who skate against them all they way up through youth.
kniven

Post by kniven »

zooomx wrote:
Section 8 guy wrote:
zooomx wrote:Time to take a shot at Moorhead though. They dropped Alex off their schedule this year. They were happy to schedule Alex when it was a 4 goal drubbing. But beat them and tie them and they run away. How did that work out for you spuds? I root for them over the city schools, but still am a bit salty over them bailing on the schedule.
Are you seriously implying Moorhead dropped Alexandria from their schedule because they were afraid to play them? I don’t know Moorheads schedule real well personally but taking a quick glance it looks like they added Wayzata, Lakeville North, St Thomas Academy and Centennial to the schedule this year. From a distance.....that looks a lot more like jumping into the fire than running from it doesn't it?
I am implying that they would rather play a strong AA team than a strong A team for multiple reasons, including that they are afraid of losing to an A team and the implications on seeding for state. You would think that they would rather play good competition 90 minutes away, than one more 4 hour trip, but whatever. It's sad for many of us who have friends who are Moorhead parents, or for our players who skate against them all they way up through youth.
Moorhead dropped CEC in high school hockey as well for next year, and we’re suppose to come to cloquet in 18-19.
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

Simple answer.

They lost.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

kniven wrote:
zooomx wrote:
Section 8 guy wrote: Are you seriously implying Moorhead dropped Alexandria from their schedule because they were afraid to play them? I don’t know Moorheads schedule real well personally but taking a quick glance it looks like they added Wayzata, Lakeville North, St Thomas Academy and Centennial to the schedule this year. From a distance.....that looks a lot more like jumping into the fire than running from it doesn't it?
Moorhead dropped CEC in high school hockey as well for next year, and we’re suppose to come to cloquet in 18-19.
This would make sense if it was NCAA hockey where a team is seeded into the season championship tournament based on rankings due to strength of schedule/RPI. Moorhead didn’t get to the State Tournament because they didn’t win their Section. Whether they beat Alex or not had no influence on that. It’s posible the coaches from both teams couldn’t figure out a day that worked for both teams. This is a major hassle for coaches but part of the job
zooomx

Post by zooomx »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
kniven wrote:
zooomx wrote: I am implying that they would rather play a strong AA team than a strong A team for multiple reasons, including that they are afraid of losing to an A team and the implications on seeding for state. You would think that they would rather play good competition 90 minutes away, than one more 4 hour trip, but whatever. It's sad for many of us who have friends who are Moorhead parents, or for our players who skate against them all they way up through youth.
This would make sense if it was NCAA hockey where a team is seeded into the season championship tournament based on rankings due to strength of schedule/RPI. Moorhead didn’t get to the State Tournament because they didn’t win their Section. Whether they beat Alex or not had no influence on that. It’s posible the coaches from both teams couldn’t figure out a day that worked for both teams. This is a major hassle for coaches but part of the job
This does make sense, as I know coaches who do look at things like this when deciding who to play. It definitely impacts seeding for the state tournament. The computerized rankings are looked at by the coaches who seed the tournament, and strength of schedule and who you beat or lost to is part of those rankings.