Class A QF: #5 Thief River Falls vs. #4 Alexandria

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Prowlers
48%
Cardinals
52%

Total votes: 21

karl(east)

Class A QF: #5 Thief River Falls vs. #4 Alexandria

Post by karl(east) »

#5 THIEF RIVER FALLS VS. #4 ALEXANDRIA
-North meets west in the Class A nightcap. Their only two recent meetings came in the past three years, with Alexandria winning a 2015 meeting and Thief River returning the favor in 2016.

Thief River Falls (16-10-2, #20, 4-seed in 8A)
State appearances: 14 (9 in one-class tournament, 4 in Class A; first since 2016)
Championships: 2 (one-class tournament, 1954 and 1956)
Key section wins: 6-4 over #13 Warroad, 4-0 over #10 East Grand Forks
-The Prowlers, after a steady but unremarkable regular season, found their way to St. Paul with upsets over Warroad and East Grand Forks in sections. Aaron Myers (16) is a goal machine, while Tucker Skime (2) provides the assists on the top line, and Jace Jorde (17) rounds out the top group. While the forward corps is not deep, they do have one of the most productive blue lines in the state, with Brady Anderson (12), Keaden Kempert (19), and an emerging star in sophomore Evan Bushy (6). If that group can hold its own in front of star goalie Nick Corneliusen (35), the Prowlers could make their way to a Friday afternoon game.

Alexandria (17-10-1, #12, 3-seed in 6A)
State appearances: 4 (1 in AA; first since 2011)
Key section wins: 4-0 over #7 Sartell, 3-2 (2 OT) over #4 St. Cloud Cathedral
-Their run through sections might look like a surprise on paper, but the Cardinals were an early season favorite, and have now delivered on that promise. Ben Doherty (7), who missed some time this season due to injury, is their star, and Jack Westlund (10) and Caleb Strong (3) round out an all-junior top unit. Jack Powell (21) and Andrew Revering (2) make for a productive defense as well. Their depth isn’t exceptional, but freshman Jakob Stender (27) also did put up double-digit goals. Jackson Boline (30) emerged as the starting goaltender and was strong in sections. This is a young group and their success in a deep section shows their potential, so now it’s time to learn if they can deliver on it on a big stage.
zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler »

Only way trf wins is through their goalie. He carried the team in the sections.
Otherwise, the team is more or less mediocre talent.
Hockeyfan2025

Post by Hockeyfan2025 »

zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:Only way trf wins is through their goalie. He carried the team in the sections.
The prowlers started the season 2-7-2, since then they are 14-3 in their last 17 games. The team is clicking as of late and I am really looking forward to this game. Game of the day on Wednesday. In my opinion. GO PROWLERS!! Aaron Myers is pretty talented as well.
zamboniexhaustinhaler

Hockeyfan2025 wrote:
zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:Only way trf wins is through their goalie. He carried the team in the sections.
The prowlers started the season 2-7-2, since then they are 14-3 in their last 17 games. The team is clicking as of late and I am really looking forward to this game. Game of the day on Wednesday. In my opinion. GO PROWLERS!! Aaron Myers is pretty talented as well.
They are clicking at the right time, but the main reason their record improved after the start you mention is because their schedule got much easier.

Also as said, their goalie has improved as the season went on.

If he has an off game, trf will be in trouble.
ifallsin64

Post by ifallsin64 »

Great to see the prowlers going to state, I saw them in Duluth about 6 weeks ago. Although they only won in OT against a weaker Denfeld team, they were enjoyable to watch. I’ll say Alex outshoots Thief River but the prowlers win in overtime.
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

Looking forward to this game. Hopefully the Alexandria boys can match the Alexandria girls and get that first round win. If they do, I may just have to take Friday off from work and pull the kiddos out of school and head on down to the X.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

Nice win Cardinals!
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

ifallsin64 wrote:Great to see the prowlers going to state, I saw them in Duluth about 6 weeks ago. Although they only won in OT against a weaker Denfeld team, they were enjoyable to watch. I’ll say Alex outshoots Thief River but the prowlers win in overtime.
You might have got it right had the Prowlers been able to hit the net on their Grade A chances. It seemed like they were always going for the perfect shot in the corner, but missed, so very few rebound opportunities.
LASERBLUE135

Post by LASERBLUE135 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
ifallsin64 wrote:.
You might have got it right had the Prowlers been able to hit the net on their Grade A chances. It seemed like they were always going for the perfect shot in the corner, but missed, so very few rebound opportunities.
I KNOW! Hit the net boys!!! So many chances missed by shooting wide. In such a tight game that really could have easily made all the difference.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Or miss on the short side anyway. Easier said than done though.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

LASERBLUE135 wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
ifallsin64 wrote:.
I KNOW! Hit the net boys!!! So many chances missed by shooting wide. In such a tight game that really could have easily made all the difference.
I never thought that the single goal by Alex early in the second would hold up for the win. But TRF just could not find a way to finish anything, and both goalies were solid. With the exception of Orono, none of the teams played particularly well yesterday, but the higher seeds all managed to move on.
zooomx

Post by zooomx »

Stang5280 wrote:
LASERBLUE135 wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote: You might have got it right had the Prowlers been able to hit the net on their Grade A chances. It seemed like they were always going for the perfect shot in the corner, but missed, so very few rebound opportunities.
I never thought that the single goal by Alex early in the second would hold up for the win. But TRF just could not find a way to finish anything, and both goalies were solid. With the exception of Orono, none of the teams played particularly well yesterday, but the higher seeds all managed to move on.
I think Alexandria had more quality scoring chances. Boline was solid in goal, giving away nothing. Yes, TRF missed on a few opportunities, but Alex seemed in total control of the game and was never in frantic mode. The announcers seemed to agree.
zamboniexhaustinhaler

Trf had been playing above their ability as of late. This game was more typical than an exception.
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

zooomx wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:
LASERBLUE135 wrote: I KNOW! Hit the net boys!!! So many chances missed by shooting wide. In such a tight game that really could have easily made all the difference.
I think Alexandria had more quality scoring chances. Boline was solid in goal, giving away nothing. Yes, TRF missed on a few opportunities, but Alex seemed in total control of the game and was never in frantic mode. The announcers seemed to agree.
I agree, Alexandria's defense didn't leave a lot there for TRF. That defense is going to have to be at the top of their game tomorrow against Hermantown.
Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

Mr Powell meet Mr Biondi
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

zooomx wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:
LASERBLUE135 wrote: I KNOW! Hit the net boys!!! So many chances missed by shooting wide. In such a tight game that really could have easily made all the difference.
I probably phrased my comments poorly. I was surprised that TRF never was able to force the action enough to muster even a single goal, but it was more a case of Alex not letting them do much of anything on offense, as you said. It was just such a weird one goal game, where one team basically just strangled the life out of the other.

Hermantown let Monticello hang around for two periods yesterday, as seems to be the case in most of their tournament games the last two years. Alexandria has a talented first line and is stout in their own end, so it will be interesting to see how they match up tomorrow.