Semifinals at Amsoil Arena

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheHockeyDJ

Semifinals at Amsoil Arena

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Friday night, does I Falls stand a chance against Hermantown? Who wins the battle of Rapids coaches in Greenway vs Virginia?

Saturday night, how good will the atmosphere be for East vs Marshall? Andover vs Elk River, will there be 14+ goals scored in this game?
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
kniven

Re: Semifinals at Amsoil Arena

Post by kniven »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Friday night, does I Falls stand a chance against Hermantown? Who wins the battle of Rapids coaches in Greenway vs Virginia?

Saturday night, how good will the atmosphere be for East vs Marshall? Andover vs Elk River, will there be 14+ goals scored in this game?
1. Nope
2. Virginia
3. Awesome atmosphere
4. Lots of goals
blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 »

Looking at the 7AA quarter-final scores, will anyone even try to play defense on Sat night?
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

kniven wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:Friday night, does I Falls stand a chance against Hermantown? Who wins the battle of Rapids coaches in Greenway vs Virginia?

1. Nope
2. Virginia
3. Awesome atmosphere
4. Lots of goals
I like Greenway, it should be a great game. And this North and then South semi is very appealing!
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

I haven't paid close attention to 7A this season. What should I look for in Greenway vs Virginia? Who has better goaltending? Who has better depth at forward? I assume one of the best one on one matchups is gonna be Troumbly vs Sietz(sp?).
IGotDibs

Post by IGotDibs »

I don't know why but I honestly think that Duluth East is not gonna come out of this section.. While it looks cool how smooth they are, when it comes to finishing the puck, playing the body, and point presence in the offensive zone they are far from a state bound team. I watched their loss against CEC they looked better but they couldn't finish when it counted. It's gonna be interesting to see
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

IGotDibs wrote:I don't know why but I honestly think that Duluth East is not gonna come out of this section.. While it looks cool how smooth they are, when it comes to finishing the puck, playing the body, and point presence in the offensive zone they are far from a state bound team. I watched their loss against CEC they looked better but they couldn't finish when it counted. It's gonna be interesting to see
Not sure your allowed to say that : :shock:
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

IGotDibs wrote:I don't know why but I honestly think that Duluth East is not gonna come out of this section.. While it looks cool how smooth they are, when it comes to finishing the puck, playing the body, and point presence in the offensive zone they are far from a state bound team. I watched their loss against CEC they looked better but they couldn't finish when it counted. It's gonna be interesting to see
No one looks to be state tournament bound in their bad games. If East plays to their potential no one in 7AA can stop them. If they don’t, any of the remaining teams can.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Traxler wrote:
No one looks to be state tournament bound in their bad games. If East plays to their potential no one in 7AA can stop them. If they don’t, any of the remaining teams can.
And if in doubt on a team just refer to Happy's rankings. East beat the 2 seed 9-3 and the 3 seed 7-0. All on Marshall.
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

alcloseshaver wrote:
Traxler wrote:
And if in doubt on a team just refer to Happy's rankings. East beat the 2 seed 9-3 and the 3 seed 7-0. All on Marshall.
I feel like Duluth Marshall is the the biggest threat to East. They handled the Lumberjacks pretty well on Tuesday and as you know I'm not a big believer in Elk River. And you can't compare regular season results to playoffs, which I suppose could bite me in the arse in regards to ER, but I doubt it. And of course you can't sleep on Andover.
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
gitter

Post by gitter »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:
Traxler wrote: No one looks to be state tournament bound in their bad games. If East plays to their potential no one in 7AA can stop them. If they don’t, any of the remaining teams can.
I feel like Duluth Marshall is the the biggest threat to East. They handled the Lumberjacks pretty well on Tuesday and as you know I'm not a big believer in Elk River. And you can't compare regular season results to playoffs, which I suppose could bite me in the arse in regards to ER, but I doubt it. And of course you can't sleep on Andover.
Grand Rapids also handled Cloquet last week...the Jacks are just not a good measuring stick to use this year.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

hockey59 wrote:
kniven wrote:

1. Nope
2. Virginia
3. Awesome atmosphere
4. Lots of goals
I like Greenway, it should be a great game. And this North and then South semi is very appealing!
I am pulling for East and the Green Machine all the way to St. Paul baby!! :lol:
That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing »

gitter wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:And if in doubt on a team just refer to Happy's rankings. East beat the 2 seed 9-3 and the 3 seed 7-0. All on Marshall.
Grand Rapids also handled Cloquet last week...the Jacks are just not a good measuring stick to use this year.

1) Finishing hasnt been consistent, but when it comes, oh boy its hard to stop
2) East is a big team, and when they need to play the body, the can be pretty loud on the boards and in the open ice
3)East's achilles against Cloquet was the PK. IN their two games, there were 6 PP goals for the Jacks. 5v5 East dominated Cloquet both games
4) East isnt playing Cloquet, its DM and the toppers have a chip on their shoulder. East wont play them lightly, and most of the kids are all friends but it will be tight to the wire that can be all 0's or 5-5 6-6. Who knows what will happen in that game.
5) I cant remember the last time Andover came up to East in the playoffs, at least in the finals, so who knows how Andover will come out if that game is what happens. ER is snake bitten against East up here but maybe Perbix pulls something out of thin air and Worth gets in a slump. (None of that matters if DM wins)
That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing »

gitter wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:And if in doubt on a team just refer to Happy's rankings. East beat the 2 seed 9-3 and the 3 seed 7-0. All on Marshall.

1) Finishing hasnt been consistent for DE, but when it comes, oh boy its hard to stop
2) East is a big team, and when they need to play the body, the can be pretty loud on the boards and in the open ice
3) East's achilles against Cloquet was the PK. IN their two games, there were 6 PP goals for the Jacks. 5v5 East dominated Cloquet both games
4) East isnt playing Cloquet, its DM and the toppers have a chip on their shoulder. East wont play them lightly, and most of the kids are all friends but it will be tight to the wire that can be all 0's or 5-5 6-6. Who knows what will happen in that game.
5) I cant remember the last time Andover came up to East in the playoffs, at least in the finals, so who knows how Andover will come out if that game is what happens. ER is snake bitten against East up here but maybe Perbix pulls something out of thin air and Worth gets in a slump. (None of that matters if DM wins)
kniven

Post by kniven »

I think Duluth East’s depth an WMD line win this game comfortably for the Greyhounds. I think Andover is afraid of Elk River, and also gets beat comfortably by the Elks.

In the final, it will be interesting because Elk River will know they are the underdogs, and will play with no pressure and loose. And Elk can roll 4 just asEast could do depth won’t be an issue. This one will be close.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

kniven wrote:I think Duluth East’s depth an WMD line win this game comfortably for the Greyhounds. I think Andover is afraid of Elk River, and also gets beat comfortably by the Elks.

In the final, it will be interesting because Elk River will know they are the underdogs, and will play with no pressure and loose. And Elk can roll 4 just asEast could do depth won’t be an issue. This one will be close.
I agree. I think East wins this game comfortably and will face the Elks in the Final. The Hounds rolled Elk River a few weeks ago, and normally I'd say that would give the Elks some motivation for making it a tighter contest this time around. However, the Elks engaged in plenty of BS tactics that not only resulted in them losing a player for the game and piling up penalty minutes, but perhaps also giving Randolph and his players plenty of motivation themselves to pile on goals again.
kniven

Post by kniven »

I forgot about all that mess in that game. Well, then I give the Elks more of a chance to win.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

How about the games tonight? Hermantown by 6 goals? Thoughts on the Iron Range battle?
kniven

Post by kniven »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:How about the games tonight? Hermantown by 6 goals? Thoughts on the Iron Range battle?
Hermantown wins this game skating blindfolded. Virginia beats Greenway.
BigTen

Post by BigTen »

A preview of the games:

www.howiehanson.com/3758-2/
ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting »

What was the outcome of the games tonight?
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Greenway won 5-1.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Hermantown with a 6-0 win over the Falls...about what one would have expected.

Greenway 5-1 over Virginia...this one was pretty entertaining. Virginia had a very strong second half of the first period and first half of the second period, and was up 1-0 and had Greenway on the ropes at times. But then the Raiders really kicked it into gear and ran away with it from there. Jake Seitz had a ton of ice time and was doing fun things nearly every time he touched the ice; it's really a shame he wasn't a Mr. Hockey finalist. Virginia definitely seemed to wear down as the game went along.

The Greenway that showed up for the second half of this one has a fighting chance against Hermantown. They only play two lines with the occasional extra player spotted in, but both lines are good, and looked well-conditioned tonight. When they get their forecheck rolling, they can give any team fits. We'll see if they can stay out of the box against that Hermantown top unit and put together a complete game on Wednesday.