Stillwater Roster

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheMayor

Stillwater Roster

Post by TheMayor »

It looks like Stillwater lost 2 guys off of their varsity roster after their January 23rd game. Apparently they are now on the Jr Gold A team. Does anyone know what happened? Is such a late roster change allowed in JGA?
tourneytickssince59

Post by tourneytickssince59 »

They were told they won't be seeing any ice time the rest of the season so they quit rather than play JV.

Apparently, Duluth East did the same thing a few years back so there was precedent to allow this.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

At the winter meeting the MH board of directors voted to suspend the rules and then voted to allow late registration of these two players.

It carried with only one dissenting vote.
Rick O'Shay

Post by Rick O'Shay »

I was told by a Stillwater JGA mother that they were ABSOLUTELY abused and belittled by the high school coach/coaches! Her words not mine. Keeping in mind that there are always two sides to every story. She claimed they were so poorly treated that the association begged the JGA team to let them play.

I will say that at least one of the players (#4) was noticeable during the JGA game I watched. Not sure what could have happened at the varsity level but to me he looked like he would have easily been skilled enough to play on their varsity squad.
TheMayor

Post by TheMayor »

In talking to some of my JG contacts, this one does not seem to pass the sniff test.

From what I’ve heard, this was brought to the MN hockey by the District 10 director, who has a kid on the Stillwater team. This would seem to be a conflict of interest. In addition, it appears that there was no Metro league input on the topic, and it was never an agenda item. MN Hockey doesn’t keep their meeting minutes up to date, so there’s no way to tell what was proposed, or discussed.

Dissatisfaction with playing time at varsity is hardly a valid reason to change a rule. Imagine the precedent this could set. There are probably numerous players every year who might consider dropping to JG after January 1st, due to playing time, burn-out, time commitment, etc.

MN Hockey should never have let this one happen just for the slippery slope it may have created.

If, as one poster suggests, there was bullying going on, then that’s a larger issue for the Stillwater AD to look into.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

tourneytickssince59 wrote:They were told they won't be seeing any ice time the rest of the season so they quit rather than play JV.

Apparently, Duluth East did the same thing a few years back so there was precedent to allow this.
Back when my kid played JG it was a nice soft landing after getting cut by the varsity. Any change made to a DE roster would have been met with a collective yawn, by the rest of the league. Most years they could barely field a full roster - and even with a late addition, probably got pounded at state.

This one seems more sinister - back room shadiness by MN Hockey with red flags everywhere.
TheMayor

Post by TheMayor »

[quote="elliott70"]At the winter meeting the MH board of directors voted to suspend the rules and then voted to allow late registration of these two players.

It carried with only one dissenting vote.[/quote

Elliott

Were you there for the vote? What was the justification given for circumventing long held roster deadlines? Was there Metro League representation?
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

Rick O'Shay wrote:I was told by a Stillwater JGA mother that they were ABSOLUTELY abused and belittled by the high school coach/coaches! Her words not mine. Keeping in mind that there are always two sides to every story. She claimed they were so poorly treated that the association begged the JGA team to let them play.

I will say that at least one of the players (#4) was noticeable during the JGA game I watched. Not sure what could have happened at the varsity level but to me he looked like he would have easily been skilled enough to play on their varsity squad.
WERE HER WORDS CAPITALIZED.?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

TheMayor wrote:
elliott70 wrote:At the winter meeting the MH board of directors voted to suspend the rules and then voted to allow late registration of these two players.

Elliott

Were you there for the vote? What was the justification given for circumventing long held roster deadlines? Was there Metro League representation?
Yes, I was there.
The deadline has been extended in the past but to my knowledge only a few days. The justification was the boys were not playing.
The metro league was not there and to my knowledge not consulted.
Again, only one dissenting vote.
TheMayor

Post by TheMayor »

elliott70 wrote:
TheMayor wrote:
elliott70 wrote:At the winter meeting the MH board of directors voted to suspend the rules and then voted to allow late registration of these two players.

Elliott

Yes, I was there.
The deadline has been extended in the past but to my knowledge only a few days. The justification was the boys were not playing.
Just seems like a bad precedent to set. Not sure what justification was used in the past, but lack of playing time feels thin. Also looks bad when district director with obvious conflict of interest brings forth proposal. Objectively, with no dog in the fight, MN hockey missed badly on this one.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

TheMayor wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
TheMayor wrote: Yes, I was there.
Just seems like a bad precedent to set. Not sure what justification was used in the past, but lack of playing time feels thin. Also looks bad when district director with obvious conflict of interest brings forth proposal. Objectively, with no dog in the fight, MN hockey missed badly on this one.
If these 2 players were underclassmen, I might question this. But if they’re seniors, I have no problem with bending the rules to allow them to play Junior Gold (for the remainder of this season)
tourneytickssince59

Post by tourneytickssince59 »

TheMayor wrote:In talking to some of my JG contacts, this one does not seem to pass the sniff test.

From what I’ve heard, this was brought to the MN hockey by the District 10 director, who has a kid on the Stillwater team. This would seem to be a conflict of interest. In addition, it appears that there was no Metro league input on the topic, and it was never an agenda item. MN Hockey doesn’t keep their meeting minutes up to date, so there’s no way to tell what was proposed, or discussed.

Dissatisfaction with playing time at varsity is hardly a valid reason to change a rule. Imagine the precedent this could set. There are probably numerous players every year who might consider dropping to JG after January 1st, due to playing time, burn-out, time commitment, etc.

MN Hockey should never have let this one happen just for the slippery slope it may have created.

If, as one poster suggests, there was bullying going on, then that’s a larger issue for the Stillwater AD to look into.
District 2 director
TheMayor

Post by TheMayor »

tourneytickssince59 wrote:
TheMayor wrote:In talking to some of my JG contacts, this one does not seem to pass the sniff test.

District 2 director
Thanks for clarifying. I believe his son is on the team. Not a good look.