Game Wednesday 1-31-18

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Game Wednesday 1-31-18

Post by elliott70 »

Game of the Week

St. Thomas Academy vs Cretin-Derham Hall
bauerman

game of the week

Post by bauerman »

should be a good game Cretin has a real chance for the first time in ten years, too bad this is played at Highland every other year and most can't get in to see it. STA by 2
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

Highland is a tough place for away teams to win at, Cretin by 2.
ifallsin64

Post by ifallsin64 »

I wish I could get to this one, wouldn’t surprise me if it ends in a tie.
ifallsin64

Post by ifallsin64 »

St. Thomas up 2-0 after two
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Got a little ahead of myself and posted this on the Thursday thread:

This game's been a pretty fun one. STA leads Cretin 2-0 after 2. The Cadets scored less than a minute in and got another one amid strong stretch of play in the mid-to-late 2nd.

Cretin is one of the more fun teams to watch out there--great energy, speed, and creativity. STA is holding up very well defensively, though. Kelly has made a few massive saves, including one on a penalty shot and another on Milosch late in the 2nd. It'll be hard to beat STA 2+ times in the 3rd, but they have a shot at it.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

STA's 2-0 lead holds up, and it was about as fun a 2-0 game as you'll see. STA did a good job of keeping the pressure going for much of the 3rd, and if Atticus Kelly needs to submit some highlights to the Brimsek committee, tonight's game should do the trick.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Thanks for the recap. Would have loved to see it. Two very good teams when I saw them each earlier this season.
Be kind. Rewind.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

karl(east) wrote:STA's 2-0 lead holds up, and it was about as fun a 2-0 game as you'll see. STA did a good job of keeping the pressure going for much of the 3rd, and if Atticus Kelly needs to submit some highlights to the Brimsek committee, tonight's game should do the trick.
I was surprised to see such a low-scoring affair between two teams that fly around and typically generate tons of scoring chances. But STA is no slouch defensively, and Kelly is pretty darn special even though he doesn’t face as much rubber as other top goalies.

Too bad CDH is in 6AA for whatever strange reason, since a rematch would make for a great section final.
SFA1992

Post by SFA1992 »

That would be an incredible section battle... maybe someday
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Excellent commentary on the STA/CDH game Karl! IMHO one of the best hockey games of the season.

Yes, Kelly is going to give Holum and Fitzgerald a run for their money.

Why the MSHSL split up the sections on this long time east side rivalry I will never know. Just didnt make sense. It wasnt as if the west metro section needed more quality teams.