Page 34 of 69

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:47 am
by blueline_6
greenwayraider wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:18 am
You would have to make the youth association choose first. If Hermantown chooses AA then they will be assigned AA at the high school level. You have to change the paradigm.
Not sure this type of decision should be in the hands of youth association boards, many of which have constant turnover every couple years in the people that would vote on and make these kinds of decisions. Need something more stable.

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:17 am
by elliott70
blueline_6 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:47 am
greenwayraider wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:18 am
You would have to make the youth association choose first. If Hermantown chooses AA then they will be assigned AA at the high school level. You have to change the paradigm.
Not sure this type of decision should be in the hands of youth association boards, many of which have constant turnover every couple years in the people that would vote on and make these kinds of decisions. Need something more stable.
As of now, since inception in the youth ranks, the designation of AA is made based on the high school designation. Where there is a question or upon petition, a committee of Minnesota Hockey ( formerly Minnesota Youth Hockey Association MAHA) makes the final determination with input from the cognizant district director. The committe make up is determined by the MnH president.

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:20 am
by rainier2
Pertyboy wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:28 am
greenwayraider wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:18 am
You would have to make the youth association choose first. If Hermantown chooses AA then they will be assigned AA at the high school level. You have to change the paradigm.
This is a dumb arguement, as there is no line between A and AA at the youth level. They all play each other including greenway and hermantown. Tournaments are all a mix of A and AA teams. Its all up to the coach what tournaments they choose.
But there is a line for the playoffs.

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:50 pm
by BleedGreen5
How about taking the Top 6 A teams according to end of the season rankings and throw them into 4 Super Regionals with the top 18 AA teams?

The remaining A teams would play in their respective Section tournaments to decide the representative from that Section and still have the Class A tournament as currently formatted in MPLS. Should eliminate most of the heavy hitters in Class A and provide incentive for the teams that perennially stand not much of a chance of making a State Tourney, an opportunity.

The remaining AA teams would still play their respective Section Tourney with no Advancement to State. Should provide incentive to be in the Top 18 for next year.

The Super Regionals would be a Blind Draw to determine matchups. Same weekend as Sections. 6 Teams, Winners all advance to State. All games played on one day should reduce the staying in motel cost and limit travel to 1 day.


State: Blind draw, not sure of format.

Questions?
Who would determine Top 18 AA and Top 6 A?
Is it fair for #19 AA to miss Super Regional in favor of #6 A?

I'm sure there are some holes in my logic, please share your thoughts?

As of right now the super regionals would include, according to Lets Play Hockey and Karl for last 8 as of 12-1

AA
Eden Prarie
Maple Grove
Rosemount
Grand Rapids
Blake
WBL
Andover
BSM
Blaine
Lakeville S
Edina
Minnetonka
Moorhead
Lakeville N
Stillwater
Roseau
STA
Wayzata

A
Hermantown
EGF
Warroad
StCloud Cathedral
Orono
Mahtomedi

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:03 pm
by Yoopskater
I gotta believe there would be 5-6 A teams with no shot of a state title in most years. Travel would be onerous with blind draws for Section tourneys.

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:19 am
by blueline_6
elliott70 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:17 am
blueline_6 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:47 am
greenwayraider wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:18 am
You would have to make the youth association choose first. If Hermantown chooses AA then they will be assigned AA at the high school level. You have to change the paradigm.
Not sure this type of decision should be in the hands of youth association boards, many of which have constant turnover every couple years in the people that would vote on and make these kinds of decisions. Need something more stable.
As of now, since inception in the youth ranks, the designation of AA is made based on the high school designation. Where there is a question or upon petition, a committee of Minnesota Hockey ( formerly Minnesota Youth Hockey Association MAHA) makes the final determination with input from the cognizant district director. The committe make up is determined by the MnH president.
Right. Raider was suggesting that the youth association decision to play at A or AA should drive where the HS plays. That's what I was questioning, that a youth board would be in control of what level the high school plays at.

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:43 am
by BleedGreen5
Yoopskater wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:03 pm
I gotta believe there would be 5-6 A teams with no shot of a state title in most years. Travel would be onerous with blind draws for Section tourneys.
Agree that A teams might not have a great chance of winning a State Tourney but would make for some interesting David vs Goliath matchups in the Super Regionals. Blind draw them into the closest Regional for travel purposes.

Two years ago my sons Bantam A team played Rosemount in a VFW state tournament, they were super cocky, exhibited poor sportsmanship, we lost but game was closer than end result, we were tired from District, Regional, State tourney, prior to VFW State, would like to catch them again with fresh legs, this would be like State Final for us.

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:13 pm
by kniven
so is it one or two or three individuals keeping Hermantown from moving up to AA in high school and lining up with what their youth hockey boys teams do. I would think that a big majority of the kids and fans want 7AA. I really want to be a fan, as I am off all my fellow 218 hockey programs, but I just can’t. If Cloquet hockey ever moves to A in high school boys, but stayed AA in youth, I would leave the program immediately.

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:27 pm
by tourneytickssince59
BleedGreen5 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:50 pm
How about taking the Top 6 A teams according to end of the season rankings and throw them into 4 Super Regionals with the top 18 AA teams?

The remaining A teams would play in their respective Section tournaments to decide the representative from that Section and still have the Class A tournament as currently formatted in MPLS. Should eliminate most of the heavy hitters in Class A and provide incentive for the teams that perennially stand not much of a chance of making a State Tourney, an opportunity.

The remaining AA teams would still play their respective Section Tourney with no Advancement to State. Should provide incentive to be in the Top 18 for next year.

The Super Regionals would be a Blind Draw to determine matchups. Same weekend as Sections. 6 Teams, Winners all advance to State. All games played on one day should reduce the staying in motel cost and limit travel to 1 day.


State: Blind draw, not sure of format.

Questions?
Who would determine Top 18 AA and Top 6 A?
Is it fair for #19 AA to miss Super Regional in favor of #6 A?

I'm sure there are some holes in my logic, please share your thoughts?

As of right now the super regionals would include, according to Lets Play Hockey and Karl for last 8 as of 12-1

AA
Eden Prarie
Maple Grove
Rosemount
Grand Rapids
Blake
WBL
Andover
BSM
Blaine
Lakeville S
Edina
Minnetonka
Moorhead
Lakeville N
Stillwater
Roseau
STA
Wayzata

A
Hermantown
EGF
Warroad
StCloud Cathedral
Orono
Mahtomedi
Where's Hill

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:20 am
by Wet Paint
kniven wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:13 pm
so is it one or two or three individuals keeping Hermantown from moving up to AA in high school and lining up with what their youth hockey boys teams do. I would think that a big majority of the kids and fans want 7AA. I really want to be a fan, as I am off all my fellow 218 hockey programs, but I just can’t. If Cloquet hockey ever moves to A in high school boys, but stayed AA in youth, I would leave the program immediately.
How about the AA teams just quit playing them? If you look at it the AA teams have nothing to gain playing them. If they lose to an A team then the AA team looks sort of weak in the eyes of the end of the year ranking people. If the AA team beats them then "of course they should beat them they are only an A team" comes into play. I would quit scheduling them and see how that goes.

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:26 am
by kniven
Wet Paint wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:20 am
kniven wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:13 pm
so is it one or two or three individuals keeping Hermantown from moving up to AA in high school and lining up with what their youth hockey boys teams do. I would think that a big majority of the kids and fans want 7AA. I really want to be a fan, as I am off all my fellow 218 hockey programs, but I just can’t. If Cloquet hockey ever moves to A in high school boys, but stayed AA in youth, I would leave the program immediately.
How about the AA teams just quit playing them? If you look at it the AA teams have nothing to gain playing them. If they lose to an A team then the AA team looks sort of weak in the eyes of the end of the year ranking people. If the AA team beats them then "of course they should beat them they are only an A team" comes into play. I would quit scheduling them and see how that goes.
Totally agree 👍👍

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:42 am
by Usthockey13
Well there is only one AA willing to do so and they are only a couple miles apart. I agree if all the AA cities team would stop scheduling them it would make thing alot different. I get CEC doesnt really have a choice since they are in the LSC together.

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:24 pm
by kniven
What year did Hermantown join section 7A

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:11 pm
by bardown27
kniven wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:24 pm
What year did Hermantown join section 7A
2013-2014 season

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:48 pm
by elliott70
I see Mahtomedi youth teams are playing AA and doing quite well.
Perhaps this is the new thing.

Also (I was told) Rogers played single A last year in youth but it appears they are AA this year and doing well.

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:18 pm
by greenwayraider
Both Rogers And Spring Lake Park played A at the youth level. They both beat out Greenway’s PeeWees for a state birth.

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:36 pm
by elliott70
greenwayraider wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:18 pm
Both Rogers And Spring Lake Park played A at the youth level. They both beat out Greenway’s PeeWees for a state birth.
Is it birth or berth?

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:37 pm
by elliott70
greenwayraider wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:18 pm
Both Rogers And Spring Lake Park played A at the youth level. They both beat out Greenway’s PeeWees for a state birth.
There was some feedback last year, but after the fact what can be done. We (district directors) were told to scrutinize better.

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:06 pm
by greenwayraider
elliott70 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:36 pm
greenwayraider wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:18 pm
Both Rogers And Spring Lake Park played A at the youth level. They both beat out Greenway’s PeeWees for a state birth.
Is it birth or berth?
For Greenway fans it was as painful as a birth. 😡

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:14 pm
by kniven
greenwayraider wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:06 pm
elliott70 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:36 pm
greenwayraider wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:18 pm
Both Rogers And Spring Lake Park played A at the youth level. They both beat out Greenway’s PeeWees for a state birth.
Is it birth or berth?
For Greenway fans it was as painful as a birth. 😡
Recently? What do the youth teams look like for Greenway this year?

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:26 pm
by greenwayraider
Yes, last year. Haven’t seen any youth teams yet. Been hearing mixed reviews.

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:40 pm
by Jeffy95
Hermantown Top 6 Points Leaders (Through 12/20)

Biondi 17
Virginia 10
Hayward 10
Ely 8
Denfeld 7
Proctor 6

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:58 pm
by kniven
Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:40 pm
Hermantown Top 6 Points Leaders (Through 12/20)

Biondi 17
Virginia 10
Hayward 10
Ely 8
Denfeld 7
Proctor 6
I think everybody and there brother knows this about Hermantown high school hockey. That’s not my issue at all.

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:27 pm
by elliott70
greenwayraider wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:26 pm
Yes, last year. Haven’t seen any youth teams yet. Been hearing mixed reviews.
Bantam A's average at best.

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:39 pm
by Jeffy95
kniven wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:58 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:40 pm
Hermantown Top 6 Points Leaders (Through 12/20)

Biondi 17
Virginia 10
Hayward 10
Ely 8
Denfeld 7
Proctor 6
I think everybody and there brother knows this about Hermantown high school hockey. That’s not my issue at all.
I just think it’s fascinating that one team could have five of the top six scorers be from other Associations. Never even seen that from a AA Metro team.