The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:46 pm

Really guys??? Just beat em!!! Wby cannot your teams win ?? Is what you should be asking. Not how do we get Hawjs out of our way?? That thinking helps nothing

HSPuckFan96
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:09 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by HSPuckFan96 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:50 pm

Wow, this thing really exploded lately!

Looking for information, if anyone has it...I read about the transfers and the towns they come from, I read about not being community based teams, then I read the question about when it's OK to move in...so here is my question:

Does anyone have the FACTS of when these "all stars" became Hermantown Hawks? I'm assuming some are high school transfers, but others were possibly before high school? I'm legitimately curious. Don't feel the need to include their names, but can anyone break down when these happened (1 came in 5th grade, 2 in 7th grade, 1 as a sophomore etc..)?

Honestly, as much as I dislike the Hermantown dominance and feel they could/should compete at the AA level, if these are legitimate transfers/move ins that fit the MSHSL rules, then I have a harder time being upset by it. If I had hockey players (no matter the age), and I was moving to that area, I would definitely be looking at the schools and athletic programs.

If anyone has background info on the "non Hermantown" players, I'd be curious to read it. Thanks

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:53 pm

How about: how can we keep our kids home? Why us our association so less attractive? Why can't that kid stay here and have scouts looking at him?? Why can't my hunters beat the Hawks??
Instead of: get Hawks out if here, all kids will stay home. Get Hawks out of here some one else can go to state and be demolished by the way. Get Hawks out of here!! They can play in a better league!!! That last one. That is the one that will lead to the demolishing of America's sports as we know it. Not the getting rid of the dominant team who may or may not be doing shadowy thing, not the riding ourselves of the boy who has talent and wants to be seen. It is the attitude that someone who is better than us needs to leave us because we cannot beat them.

Argue all you want. That will do it.

rainier2
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by rainier2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:58 pm

HSPuckFan96 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:50 pm
Wow, this thing really exploded lately!

Looking for information, if anyone has it...I read about the transfers and the towns they come from, I read about not being community based teams, then I read the question about when it's OK to move in...so here is my question:

Does anyone have the FACTS of when these "all stars" became Hermantown Hawks? I'm assuming some are high school transfers, but others were possibly before high school? I'm legitimately curious. Don't feel the need to include their names, but can anyone break down when these happened (1 came in 5th grade, 2 in 7th grade, 1 as a sophomore etc..)?

Honestly, as much as I dislike the Hermantown dominance and feel they could/should compete at the AA level, if these are legitimate transfers/move ins that fit the MSHSL rules, then I have a harder time being upset by it. If I had hockey players (no matter the age), and I was moving to that area, I would definitely be looking at the schools and athletic programs.

If anyone has background info on the "non Hermantown" players, I'd be curious to read it. Thanks
Look at posts in this thread by Jeffy95 and wise old man, you will find plenty of background on where the "non Hermantown" players came from.

rainier2
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by rainier2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:00 pm

defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:46 pm
Really guys??? Just beat em!!! Wby cannot your teams win ?? Is what you should be asking. Not how do we get Hawjs out of our way?? That thinking helps nothing
Ok, "just beat Hermantown", we understand your position.

Now, if the AA champ can rarely beat Hermantown, then how are smaller communities supposed to? How can TRF get to the the point where they can beat the AA champ almost every year?

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:01 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:00 pm
defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:46 pm
Really guys??? Just beat em!!! Wby cannot your teams win ?? Is what you should be asking. Not how do we get Hawjs out of our way?? That thinking helps nothing
Ok, "just beat Hermantown", we understand your position.

Now, if the AA champ can rarely beat Hermantown, then how are smaller communities supposed to? How can TRF get to the the point where they can beat the AA champ almost every year?
Because Thief River is really a AA program. Makes sense honestly

rainier2
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by rainier2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:03 pm

defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:42 pm
Wise Old Man wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:38 pm
defense wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:16 pm


Point was: if a state tournament trip will add be so vital that a program may fail if they never get to go... why didn't that work for Virginia, Eveleth, etc?? Why are they now collapsing into co ops?? The timing of their state births should have given them a good bump in at least numbers that would show up at high school level now or recently you would think, not even concerning ability to compete with Hermantown. That was it.
The other part of that comment was listing teams who seemingly are not really too hurt to continue on despite having that state tourney birth. Point was, state tourney birth may help, definitely in theory, but was trying to point out that it is really not vital. And pointing to some examples.
"defense", please try to actually read what I'm posting. I answered your question about "why didn't it work for Eveleth or Virginia". It actually did work as those programs saw measurable increases in their youth programs' entry-level numbers for 2-3 years following each of their trips to state. Unfortunately, despite the increases in number of kids playing and the coinciding increase in quality players, it still wasn't enough to overcome Hermantown's depth. Which (Hermantown's depth) is the number one beneficiary of their gains from transfers and open-enrollment (remember, a few years ago, 6 of the 12 players on their Squirt A team didn't start playing at Hermantown). What I'm stating for you (or anyone else trying to defend Hermantown) is basic logic and common sense. Those program's inability to get past Hermantown EVEN WITH the bumps in numbers and talent actually proves my point about Hermantown needing to move up even more!

Also, Eveleth and Virginia aren't co-opting their programs due to lack of numbers. The two communities voted on a referendum to combine their schools. They're building a brand new high school,as well as possibly a middle school. Along with a brand new arena.
So. Eveleth and Virginia decided to co op because they couldn't beat Hermantown???? That sucks. Their programs should stop existing. Really??? How dumb. Let's see what we can do for us?? Nope, not in Virginia or Eveleth I guess.. Hermant ok wn is #1... bow down. Dumb dude. That ideology is the death of hockey. Not Hermantown
Your reply proves that you're not actually reading anyone's responses. WOM clearly states that the Eveleth-Virginia merger has nothing to do with hockey, which is true. The communities thought it was in the best interest of all the students to have one larger, combined school.

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:05 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:03 pm
defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:42 pm
Wise Old Man wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:38 pm


"defense", please try to actually read what I'm posting. I answered your question about "why didn't it work for Eveleth or Virginia". It actually did work as those programs saw measurable increases in their youth programs' entry-level numbers for 2-3 years following each of their trips to state. Unfortunately, despite the increases in number of kids playing and the coinciding increase in quality players, it still wasn't enough to overcome Hermantown's depth. Which (Hermantown's depth) is the number one beneficiary of their gains from transfers and open-enrollment (remember, a few years ago, 6 of the 12 players on their Squirt A team didn't start playing at Hermantown). What I'm stating for you (or anyone else trying to defend Hermantown) is basic logic and common sense. Those program's inability to get past Hermantown EVEN WITH the bumps in numbers and talent actually proves my point about Hermantown needing to move up even more!

Also, Eveleth and Virginia aren't co-opting their programs due to lack of numbers. The two communities voted on a referendum to combine their schools. They're building a brand new high school,as well as possibly a middle school. Along with a brand new arena.
So. Eveleth and Virginia decided to co op because they couldn't beat Hermantown???? That sucks. Their programs should stop existing. Really??? How dumb. Let's see what we can do for us?? Nope, not in Virginia or Eveleth I guess.. Hermant ok wn is #1... bow down. Dumb dude. That ideology is the death of hockey. Not Hermantown
Your reply proves that you're not actually reading anyone's responses. WOM clearly states that the Eveleth-Virginia merger has nothing to do with hockey, which is true. The communities thought it was in the best interest of all the students to have one larger, combined school.
Yet, he believes that a state hockey tourney birth is vital to a program's success. I don't get it. Both had that yet they are doing this

rainier2
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by rainier2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:06 pm

defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:01 pm
rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:00 pm
defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:46 pm
Really guys??? Just beat em!!! Wby cannot your teams win ?? Is what you should be asking. Not how do we get Hawjs out of our way?? That thinking helps nothing
Ok, "just beat Hermantown", we understand your position.

Now, if the AA champ can rarely beat Hermantown, then how are smaller communities supposed to? How can TRF get to the the point where they can beat the AA champ almost every year?
Because Thief River is really a AA program. Makes sense honestly
But how will TRF get there? What will they need to do to "just beat Hermantown" and beat the AA champ as a matter of routine? You seem to think it's simple, so please, bestow your wisdom upon us and map out how TRF will get the transfers and open enrollees to be as good as elite AA teams.

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:08 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:06 pm
defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:01 pm
rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:00 pm


Ok, "just beat Hermantown", we understand your position.

Now, if the AA champ can rarely beat Hermantown, then how are smaller communities supposed to? How can TRF get to the the point where they can beat the AA champ almost every year?
Because Thief River is really a AA program. Makes sense honestly
But how will TRF get there? What will they need to do to "just beat Hermantown" and beat the AA champ as a matter of routine? You seem to think it's simple, so please, bestow your wisdom upon us and map out how TRF will get the transfers and open enrollees to be as good as elite AA teams.
Prowlers were close last time... like a lucky bounce... like a lucky bounce made Maht win it this year.. only hard to imagine.. and wh ed n TRF wins it.. better to beat Hawks or.... Alex???

rainier2
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by rainier2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:09 pm

defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:05 pm
rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:03 pm
defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:42 pm

So. Eveleth and Virginia decided to co op because they couldn't beat Hermantown???? That sucks. Their programs should stop existing. Really??? How dumb. Let's see what we can do for us?? Nope, not in Virginia or Eveleth I guess.. Hermant ok wn is #1... bow down. Dumb dude. That ideology is the death of hockey. Not Hermantown
Your reply proves that you're not actually reading anyone's responses. WOM clearly states that the Eveleth-Virginia merger has nothing to do with hockey, which is true. The communities thought it was in the best interest of all the students to have one larger, combined school.
Yet, he believes that a state hockey tourney birth is vital to a program's success. I don't get it. Both had that yet they are doing this
You really aren't reading any of these posts, are you? For the third time, the Eveleth-Virginia merger had ZERO to do with hockey success or lack thereof, yet you continually allude to it being a reason for the merger.

rainier2
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by rainier2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:10 pm

defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:08 pm
rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:06 pm
defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:01 pm


Because Thief River is really a AA program. Makes sense honestly
But how will TRF get there? What will they need to do to "just beat Hermantown" and beat the AA champ as a matter of routine? You seem to think it's simple, so please, bestow your wisdom upon us and map out how TRF will get the transfers and open enrollees to be as good as elite AA teams.
Prowlers were close last time... like a lucky bounce... like a lucky bounce made Maht win it this year.. only hard to imagine.. and wh ed n TRF wins it.. better to beat Hawks or.... Alex???
Prowlers were close to beating the AA champ 3 out of 5 years? We're talking about how they can be as good as Hermantown, so they can "just beat em", as you like to say. I just want to get your ideas on how TRF can reach the heights of Hermantown.

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:15 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:09 pm
defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:05 pm
rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:03 pm


Your reply proves that you're not actually reading anyone's responses. WOM clearly states that the Eveleth-Virginia merger has nothing to do with hockey, which is true. The communities thought it was in the best interest of all the students to have one larger, combined school.
Yet, he believes that a state hockey tourney birth is vital to a program's success. I don't get it. Both had that yet they are doing this
You really aren't reading any of these posts, are you? For the third time, the Eveleth-Virginia merger had ZERO to do with hockey success or lack thereof, yet you continually allude to it being a reason for the merger.
Yet, the discussion with this gentleman has been about how vital a state tournament birth is to a program. Thus the discussion you butted in to. Welcome.

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:16 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:10 pm
defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:08 pm
rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:06 pm


But how will TRF get there? What will they need to do to "just beat Hermantown" and beat the AA champ as a matter of routine? You seem to think it's simple, so please, bestow your wisdom upon us and map out how TRF will get the transfers and open enrollees to be as good as elite AA teams.
Prowlers were close last time... like a lucky bounce... like a lucky bounce made Maht win it this year.. only hard to imagine.. and wh ed n TRF wins it.. better to beat Hawks or.... Alex???
Prowlers were close to beating the AA champ 3 out of 5 years? We're talking about how they can be as good as Hermantown, so they can "just beat em", as you like to say. I just want to get your ideas on how TRF can reach the heights of Hermantown.
Nope. We are talking about if Hermantown should go to AA or not. Catch up bro

rainier2
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by rainier2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:18 pm

defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:16 pm
rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:10 pm
defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:08 pm


Prowlers were close last time... like a lucky bounce... like a lucky bounce made Maht win it this year.. only hard to imagine.. and wh ed n TRF wins it.. better to beat Hawks or.... Alex???
Prowlers were close to beating the AA champ 3 out of 5 years? We're talking about how they can be as good as Hermantown, so they can "just beat em", as you like to say. I just want to get your ideas on how TRF can reach the heights of Hermantown.
Nope. We are talking about if Hermantown should go to AA or not. Catch up bro
Please don't quit while you're ahead, this is too much fun. :lol:

rainier2
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by rainier2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:19 pm

defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:16 pm
rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:10 pm
defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:08 pm


Prowlers were close last time... like a lucky bounce... like a lucky bounce made Maht win it this year.. only hard to imagine.. and wh ed n TRF wins it.. better to beat Hawks or.... Alex???
Prowlers were close to beating the AA champ 3 out of 5 years? We're talking about how they can be as good as Hermantown, so they can "just beat em", as you like to say. I just want to get your ideas on how TRF can reach the heights of Hermantown.
Nope. We are talking about if Hermantown should go to AA or not. Catch up bro
But you think Class A teams need to "just beat Hermantown", correct?

Please tell me how TRF will become the next Hermantown. That's all I want to know.

Hunters1993
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:22 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Hunters1993 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:20 pm

Hermantown is the king of class A hockey nothing more. Not best in Minnesota. They won’t be till the prove it in class AA.
How many c-chip games will it take Hawks?

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:21 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:18 pm
defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:16 pm
rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:10 pm


Prowlers were close to beating the AA champ 3 out of 5 years? We're talking about how they can be as good as Hermantown, so they can "just beat em", as you like to say. I just want to get your ideas on how TRF can reach the heights of Hermantown.
Nope. We are talking about if Hermantown should go to AA or not. Catch up bro
Please don't quit while you're ahead, this is too much fun. :lol:
Dude. I am out of work and bored in this lockdown. What else do I have to do???. I enjoy this
Keep it coming

rainier2
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by rainier2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:23 pm

defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:21 pm
rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:18 pm
defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:16 pm

Nope. We are talking about if Hermantown should go to AA or not. Catch up bro
Please don't quit while you're ahead, this is too much fun. :lol:
Dude. I am out of work and bored in this lockdown. What else do I have to do???. I enjoy this
Keep it coming
Excellent! Then you have plenty of time to let us all know how TRF can become as good as Hermantown. Show us the way!

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:23 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:19 pm
defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:16 pm
rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:10 pm


Prowlers were close to beating the AA champ 3 out of 5 years? We're talking about how they can be as good as Hermantown, so they can "just beat em", as you like to say. I just want to get your ideas on how TRF can reach the heights of Hermantown.
Nope. We are talking about if Hermantown should go to AA or not. Catch up bro
But you think Class A teams need to "just beat Hermantown", correct?

Please tell me how TRF will become the next Hermantown. That's all I want to know.
Thief will probably not become Hermantown.. but Denfekd or Proctor or Sartell or Sauk Rapids or any public metro school can.

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:24 pm

Hunters1993 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:20 pm
Hermantown is the king of class A hockey nothing more. Not best in Minnesota. They won’t be till the prove it in class AA.
They actually are the best team in Minnesota right now. Tell me why not

rainier2
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by rainier2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:26 pm

defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:23 pm
rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:19 pm
defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:16 pm

Nope. We are talking about if Hermantown should go to AA or not. Catch up bro
But you think Class A teams need to "just beat Hermantown", correct?

Please tell me how TRF will become the next Hermantown. That's all I want to know.
Thief will probably not become Hermantown.. but Denfekd or Proctor or Sartell or Sauk Rapids or any public metro school can.
I agree, teams located in big cities always have the potential to become the next Hermantown. So, since this is something small community programs can't do, does it make sense to hold them to the standard of Hermantown?

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:29 pm

Yes. How did Warroad do it? Now and in the past???

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:29 pm

Roseau??

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:31 pm

defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:29 pm
Roseau??
International Falls in the past???

Post Reply