The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:03 pm

Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:59 pm
defense wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:53 pm
Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:45 pm



Actually you asked in your post would it be as exciting if East or Greenway has been there. And I answered that question. East wouldn’t have made it. It would have been SCC or Warroad.yes that would have been amazing.
Yep. That was my question. Not Warroad, not SCC, I asked about Greenway or East against the Zephyrs in the championship.
And neither of those teams would have made the c-chip game. Either SCC or Warroad would have played a Mahtomedi. Would have been amazing! Yes! Class A hockey is very good and an even playing field would have brought real fans. Not just those who want to see the Herman(Ely,Virginia,Proctor, Virginia)town.

How amazing would it have been to see Biondi, Kilen, Backstrom, Pierce come out and play the schools in the tourney this year. Tgat would have been even more amazing!
Avoid the question? Ok cool.
The dramas and intensity and interest would not have been as high imo. Because the big bad Hawks were beaten by a first time champ, it was amazing. If Maht would have beaten Greenway or East in the championship, it would have been good hockey but a huge class A school in the metro would have just beaten a smaller school and or a school who has had less success.

Hunters1993
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:22 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Hunters1993 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:10 pm

defense wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:03 pm
Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:59 pm
defense wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:53 pm

Yep. That was my question. Not Warroad, not SCC, I asked about Greenway or East against the Zephyrs in the championship.
And neither of those teams would have made the c-chip game. Either SCC or Warroad would have played a Mahtomedi. Would have been amazing! Yes! Class A hockey is very good and an even playing field would have brought real fans. Not just those who want to see the Herman(Ely,Virginia,Proctor, Virginia)town.

How amazing would it have been to see Biondi, Kilen, Backstrom, Pierce come out and play the schools in the tourney this year. Tgat would have been even more amazing!
Avoid the question? Ok cool.
The dramas and intensity and interest would not have been as high imo. Because the big bad Hawks were beaten by a first time champ, it was amazing. If Maht would have beaten Greenway or East in the championship, it would have been good hockey but a huge class A school in the metro would have just beaten a smaller school and or a school who has had less success.
Did you not read my previous post. You know those two would not have made the c-chip game. Did you watch the tourney? There is no way those two would have even gotten out of QF games SCC and Warroad were very good too. These two would have filled in very nicely with Hermantown not there. SCC coming for a repeat. Tgat would have brought hockey fans. Warroad always has a huge backing and with the talent they had it would have been amazing.
How many c-chip games will it take Hawks?

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:15 pm

Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:10 pm
defense wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:03 pm
Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:59 pm


And neither of those teams would have made the c-chip game. Either SCC or Warroad would have played a Mahtomedi. Would have been amazing! Yes! Class A hockey is very good and an even playing field would have brought real fans. Not just those who want to see the Herman(Ely,Virginia,Proctor, Virginia)town.

How amazing would it have been to see Biondi, Kilen, Backstrom, Pierce come out and play the schools in the tourney this year. Tgat would have been even more amazing!
Avoid the question? Ok cool.
The dramas and intensity and interest would not have been as high imo. Because the big bad Hawks were beaten by a first time champ, it was amazing. If Maht would have beaten Greenway or East in the championship, it would have been good hockey but a huge class A school in the metro would have just beaten a smaller school and or a school who has had less success.
Did you not read my previous post. You know those two would not have made the c-chip game. Did you watch the tourney? There is no way those two would have even gotten out of QF games SCC and Warroad were very good too. These two would have filled in very nicely with Hermantown not there. SCC coming for a repeat. Tgat would have brought hockey fans. Warroad always has a huge backing and with the talent they had it would have been amazing.
Would or wouldn't isn't the question though. Question was East or Greenway. No matter how the tourney was set up. I don't care. This question doesn't take that into account.. avoid it if ya want. As much interest?? My opinion is no.

Hunters1993
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:22 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Hunters1993 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:21 pm

So you pick two weakest teams in tourney and place them on final? How the heck would they even got out of QF.

I am telling you there is no way those two would have made final. So question is irrelevant? There were three other very good teams at the tourney besides the hawks!there is talent behind Hermantown you know
. The consolation final might have had these two play. Is that what your talking about!
How many c-chip games will it take Hawks?

Hunters1993
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:22 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Hunters1993 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:22 pm

The final four of SCC, Warroad, Mahtomedi, and whoever would have brought great interest!

The Hawks in the SF in class AA would also have been amazing! Thank
How many c-chip games will it take Hawks?

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:37 pm

Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:21 pm
So you pick two weakest teams in tourney and place them on final? How the heck would they even got out of QF.

I am telling you there is no way those two would have made final. So question is irrelevant? There were three other very good teams at the tourney besides the hawks!there is talent behind Hermantown you know
. The consolation final might have had these two play. Is that what your talking about!
Question is not irrelevant. Only irrelevant if avoiding it. Give those teams enough talent to put them in the final. Maht vs East, vs Greenway, ... how about Alex? EGF?
As interesting as having Maht beat Hermantown??
Not so much.

Wise Old Man
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:11 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Wise Old Man » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:23 pm

defense wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:35 pm
defense wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:03 pm
Wise Old Man wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:59 pm
"defense", actually, not going to state or, more specifically, knowing you literally have no realistic chance at going to state, has a significant long-term effect on the interest level in your program. Trust me, any time a program that hasn't ever been to state or, hasn't been there for many, many years finally gets there, it provides an immediate boost in interest in hockey in that community. Especially within the youth ranks. Thankfully, the programs that are left in 7A that haven't been to state in many years are so deep in their hockey tradition (outside of Ely) that they have been able too fight against the inertia of Hermantown's dominance. But, if one truly looks closely, the very foundations of those programs are slowly being eroded away and, if some of them aren't able to experience a state tournament run soon, I worry what the next ten years will bring. Especially for Ely and even International Falls.
I just have a hard time believing that not going to state means a program does out. Too many programs who haven't been there AND have little chance of going in near future are chugging along. With the expectation of playing a season, beating this rival or that team, winning a single playoff game. Believe it or not, any of those things can mean a great season in most programs.
Teams that have never been to state or not for a long time and have little hope for awhile: (incomplete list)
Park Rapids, Bagley, Kittson County, Ely, Baudette, Wadena, Crookston, Detroit Lakes ( mid 90's last and only time), Brainerd, Sartell, River Lakes, Northern Lakes, Prarie Center, Breckenridge Wahpeton, Morris Benson, Sauk Rapids ( early 2000's last and only). Viriginia did not long ago.. as did Eveleth before them what happened? Those kids who saw that or joined because of their success should be in hs or just graduated by now. Silver Bay around the Millennium, see Virginia Eveleth question.. Red Lake Falls, all of these programs will survive despite lack of state tournament success and if they don't, there is more to the issue.


Fergus is trying to rise up again hard as they can, but 7 state appearances gave them some of the smallest hockey classes in history, again another issue seldom brought up here , their real problem is declining enrollment. Brainerd and Detroit Lakes programs are somehow very healthy.
"defense", sorry but I'm fortunate to have been around the game as a career for over 30 years and have made friends and acquaintances in almost every program in northern Minnesota, as well as a number in the metro and, I promise you, getting to a state tournament really matters to these programs. You listed a bunch of schools who had been to the tourney 10 or 15 years ago and asked where the "tournament bump" was for those schools. The reality is, almost all of those teams got the normal shot in the arm to their programs but, Hermantown became so dominant that even though those "other" schools' teams would've normally have been good enough to get to state, they simply couldn't compete with Hermantown's depth of talent. That's how good Hermantown has been.

And yes, declining enrollments are a factor for many of these programs. But remember, when a smaller school like Virginia loses a Kilen or Ely loses a Pierce to open-enrollment, that has a far bigger impact on those teams with smaller youth programs than an East or a Cloquet losing a quality player.

Hunters1993
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:22 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Hunters1993 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:33 pm

defense wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:37 pm
Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:21 pm
So you pick two weakest teams in tourney and place them on final? How the heck would they even got out of QF.

I am telling you there is no way those two would have made final. So question is irrelevant? There were three other very good teams at the tourney besides the hawks!there is talent behind Hermantown you know
. The consolation final might have had these two play. Is that what your talking about!
Question is not irrelevant. Only irrelevant if avoiding it. Give those teams enough talent to put them in the final. Maht vs East, vs Greenway, ... how about Alex? EGF?
As interesting as having Maht beat Hermantown??
Not so much.

I don’t know why you picked those two teams to be the ones in the final? Again how would those teams even get to the finals? Would they have beaten SCC or Warroad, no way.

I am totally confused.......
How many c-chip games will it take Hawks?

Hunters1993
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:22 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Hunters1993 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:39 pm

Hermantown fans become confusing. They go off on these tangents and have nonsense statements to stop questions or when they get cornered. Also go for personal attacks.

People get frustrated chasing these conversations or just get fed up that is why anti Hermantown people come and go. Just get sick of beating their heads against a wall! My head is starting to hurt and bleed!
How many c-chip games will it take Hawks?

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:11 pm

Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:39 pm
Hermantown fans become confusing. They go off on these tangents and have nonsense statements to stop questions or when they get cornered. Also go for personal attacks.

People get frustrated chasing these conversations or just get fed up that is why anti Hermantown people come and go. Just get sick of beating their heads against a wall! My head is starting to hurt and bleed!
Not sure if its directed at my posts, but I am not cornered. This whole back and forth took a wierd tangent. Simple question and answer to try and support an idea. Idea: top quality teams have helped class a tournement gain interest. Question: if a normal team of the field or anyone besides Hermantown was beaten by maht in championship is it as intense? My answer: no it is not. Your answer: those teams would never get to that game. Huh? Ok, be confused. Always asking about the other teams, the ones who don't get a chance. Put two of those in there... do ya open the upper deck for fans???? Probably not.

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:16 pm

Wise Old Man wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:23 pm
defense wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:35 pm
defense wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:03 pm


I just have a hard time believing that not going to state means a program does out. Too many programs who haven't been there AND have little chance of going in near future are chugging along. With the expectation of playing a season, beating this rival or that team, winning a single playoff game. Believe it or not, any of those things can mean a great season in most programs.
Teams that have never been to state or not for a long time and have little hope for awhile: (incomplete list)
Park Rapids, Bagley, Kittson County, Ely, Baudette, Wadena, Crookston, Detroit Lakes ( mid 90's last and only time), Brainerd, Sartell, River Lakes, Northern Lakes, Prarie Center, Breckenridge Wahpeton, Morris Benson, Sauk Rapids ( early 2000's last and only). Viriginia did not long ago.. as did Eveleth before them what happened? Those kids who saw that or joined because of their success should be in hs or just graduated by now. Silver Bay around the Millennium, see Virginia Eveleth question.. Red Lake Falls, all of these programs will survive despite lack of state tournament success and if they don't, there is more to the issue.


Fergus is trying to rise up again hard as they can, but 7 state appearances gave them some of the smallest hockey classes in history, again another issue seldom brought up here , their real problem is declining enrollment. Brainerd and Detroit Lakes programs are somehow very healthy.
"defense", sorry but I'm fortunate to have been around the game as a career for over 30 years and have made friends and acquaintances in almost every program in northern Minnesota, as well as a number in the metro and, I promise you, getting to a state tournament really matters to these programs. You listed a bunch of schools who had been to the tourney 10 or 15 years ago and asked where the "tournament bump" was for those schools. The reality is, almost all of those teams got the normal shot in the arm to their programs but, Hermantown became so dominant that even though those "other" schools' teams would've normally have been good enough to get to state, they simply couldn't compete with Hermantown's depth of talent. That's how good Hermantown has been.

And yes, declining enrollments are a factor for many of these programs. But remember, when a smaller school like Virginia loses a Kilen or Ely loses a Pierce to open-enrollment, that has a far bigger impact on those teams with smaller youth programs than an East or a Cloquet losing a quality player.
Point was: if a state tournament trip will add be so vital that a program may fail if they never get to go... why didn't that work for Virginia, Eveleth, etc?? Why are they now collapsing into co ops?? The timing of their state births should have given them a good bump in at least numbers that would show up at high school level now or recently you would think, not even concerning ability to compete with Hermantown. That was it.
The other part of that comment was listing teams who seemingly are not really too hurt to continue on despite having that state tourney birth. Point was, state tourney birth may help, definitely in theory, but was trying to point out that it is really not vital. And pointing to some examples.
Last edited by defense on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hunters1993
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:22 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Hunters1993 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:20 pm

For your argument you picked East and Greenway. Why greenway and East of all teams. The reality would be SCC or Warroad. The matchup of one of those CE Mahtomedi would be just as awesome. SCC looking for a second c-chip. Warroad always brings a great crowd.

And if Hermantown would move up SF Friday at the X we could have watched Hermantown try to take down some great competition. But alas that will never happen!

Tell me something now how many c-chip games will it take for Hermantown to move up?

With the resume they have what are they waiting for?

Your turn to answer my questions.
How many c-chip games will it take Hawks?

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:28 pm

Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:20 pm
For your argument you picked East and Greenway. Why greenway and East of all teams. The reality would be SCC or Warroad. The matchup of one of those CE Mahtomedi would be just as awesome. SCC looking for a second c-chip. Warroad always brings a great crowd.

And if Hermantown would move up SF Friday at the X we could have watched Hermantown try to take down some great competition. But alas that will never happen!

Tell me something now how many c-chip games will it take for Hermantown to move up?

With the resume they have what are they waiting for?

Your turn to answer my questions.
I did a couple times but here goes again: if I was a Hawks fan, they should have done it 5 years ago. As a class A fan, stay as long as they want because it has made class A hockey that much better leading to the recent point which is obviously so confusing. I don't care how long they stay. My team has been pounded by them too.. It bugs me that my team wasn't good enough, not that the Hawks are in class A.
As for the confusing and irrelevant question: I answered that twice already for ya. I chose two random teams. Input who ya want.

Hunters1993
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:22 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Hunters1993 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:32 pm

Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:12 pm
Looked up last four times Hermantown lost in section 7 playoffs
2019
2009
2008
2005.

Last time Hermantown lost to class A team in season 2013.

Be proud of Hermantown resume. It all points to Hermantown being a class AA school.top of the hill that long time to move!
Here is my point again. Top of the hill for how long before time to move up? If you are good with them moving up stop defending them staying in class A!
How many c-chip games will it take Hawks?

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:37 pm

Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:32 pm
Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:12 pm
Looked up last four times Hermantown lost in section 7 playoffs
2019
2009
2008
2005.

Last time Hermantown lost to class A team in season 2013.

Be proud of Hermantown resume. It all points to Hermantown being a class AA school.top of the hill that long time to move!
Here is my point again. Top of the hill for how long before time to move up? If you are good with them moving up stop defending them staying in class A!
But I'm not a Hawks fan. A class A fan. A fan of good quality hockey in both leagues. Not a Hermantown fan. For the sake of class A hockey and the show that follows this big bad monster, I vote stay.

Hunters1993
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:22 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Hunters1993 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:39 pm

Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:32 pm
Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:12 pm
Looked up last four times Hermantown lost in section 7 playoffs
2019
2009
2008
2005.

Last time Hermantown lost to class A team in season 2013.

Be proud of Hermantown resume. It all points to Hermantown being a class AA school.top of the hill that long time to move!
Here is my point again. Top of the hill for how long before time to move up? If you are good with them moving up stop defending them staying in class A!
I don’t say you were a Hawks fan. Now your saying you want them to stay in class A? You said a few posts up that you think they should move up? Answer my question!
How many c-chip games will it take Hawks?

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:45 pm

defense wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:28 pm
Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:20 pm
For your argument you picked East and Greenway. Why greenway and East of all teams. The reality would be SCC or Warroad. The matchup of one of those CE Mahtomedi would be just as awesome. SCC looking for a second c-chip. Warroad always brings a great crowd.

And if Hermantown would move up SF Friday at the X we could have watched Hermantown try to take down some great competition. But alas that will never happen!

Tell me something now how many c-chip games will it take for Hermantown to move up?

With the resume they have what are they waiting for?

Your turn to answer my questions.
I did a couple times but here goes again: if I was a Hawks fan, they should have done it 5 years ago. As a class A fan, stay as long as they want because it has made class A hockey that much better leading to the recent point which is obviously so confusing. I don't care how long they stay. My team has been pounded by them too.. It bugs me that my team wasn't good enough, not that the Hawks are in class A.
As for the confusing and irrelevant question: I answered that twice already for ya. I chose two random teams. Input who ya want.
Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:39 pm
Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:32 pm
Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:12 pm
Looked up last four times Hermantown lost in section 7 playoffs
2019
2009
2008
2005.

Last time Hermantown lost to class A team in season 2013.

Be proud of Hermantown resume. It all points to Hermantown being a class AA school.top of the hill that long time to move!
Here is my point again. Top of the hill for how long before time to move up? If you are good with them moving up stop defending them staying in class A!
I don’t say you were a Hawks fan. Now your saying you want them to stay in class A? You said a few posts up that you think they should move up? Answer my question!
It's right there.
Last edited by defense on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:46 pm

defense wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:37 pm
Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:32 pm
Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:12 pm
Looked up last four times Hermantown lost in section 7 playoffs
2019
2009
2008
2005.

Last time Hermantown lost to class A team in season 2013.

Be proud of Hermantown resume. It all points to Hermantown being a class AA school.top of the hill that long time to move!
Here is my point again. Top of the hill for how long before time to move up? If you are good with them moving up stop defending them staying in class A!
But I'm not a Hawks fan. A class A fan. A fan of good quality hockey in both leagues. Not a Hermantown fan. For the sake of class A hockey and the show that follows this big bad monster, I vote stay.
Here too.

Hunters1993
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:22 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Hunters1993 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:23 am

Ok so you want them to stay to be the big bad monster everyone hates in class A. Don’t worry there would plenty of other big bad programs to root against in class A after they moved. I want them to move up and play the big boys and see where all that talent would take them. On a Friday night at the X. It would be amazing to see them play the states best and have a great shot at taking down the big bad Edina’s, Hill Murray’s, etc.
How many c-chip games will it take Hawks?

Slap Shot
Posts: 796
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:44 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:28 am

defense wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:41 pm
Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:20 pm
And that is why class A hockey is dead! They will continue to make C-chips for 10 out of 12, 11 out of 13, 12 out of 14, and 13 out of 15. Kids will continue to hop on this old ugly donkey(hawk) so they can go to the X. And no one will beat them and they will triumph stand on top of that class A hill screaming saying we are the best hockey program in the state. No one can beat OUR LITTLE COMMUNITY HOCKEY TEAM. And they will collect the c-chips for many years. Hockey in the range towns up north will continue to die out. Congratulations Hermantown hockey.

RIP range hockey programs

ELY hockey
Virginia hockey( now cooping with Eveleth)
Eveleth hockey
North Shore Hockey
Greenway hockey
Why are they going to die out? Because they can't go to state?? That sounds pretty weak if they do. Going to state does not make or break a program.
I don't necessarily disagree that not being able to reach state won't necessarily kill a program, but if going to state is not the ultimate goal why doesn't Hermantown opt up? They've already demonstrated they can compete with AA teams. That is until the games count.

rainier2
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by rainier2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:42 am

defense wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:28 pm
Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:20 pm
For your argument you picked East and Greenway. Why greenway and East of all teams. The reality would be SCC or Warroad. The matchup of one of those CE Mahtomedi would be just as awesome. SCC looking for a second c-chip. Warroad always brings a great crowd.

And if Hermantown would move up SF Friday at the X we could have watched Hermantown try to take down some great competition. But alas that will never happen!

Tell me something now how many c-chip games will it take for Hermantown to move up?

With the resume they have what are they waiting for?

Your turn to answer my questions.
I did a couple times but here goes again: if I was a Hawks fan, they should have done it 5 years ago. As a class A fan, stay as long as they want because it has made class A hockey that much better leading to the recent point which is obviously so confusing. I don't care how long they stay. My team has been pounded by them too.. It bugs me that my team wasn't good enough, not that the Hawks are in class A.
As for the confusing and irrelevant question: I answered that twice already for ya. I chose two random teams. Input who ya want.
This is the take of yours that is the most baffling. You think watching the same dominant teams make the semis and finals every year has made Class A hockey better. It hasn't. It has just allowed certain programs to stack trophies while actual small town community programs have almost no chance of making a tourney run.

This "great every year" standard of success that you think community teams should be able to reach is a fantasy. Little Falls made some great runs, and then fell off. Greenway was almost dead, then made a great run, and now they will fall off. Luverne had a few great years. Hibbing had some great teams recently, then fell off. Warroad, as good of an A program as there is, didn't go to state for the last decade, and is now making a run. The point is, community teams have ups and downs, cycles of talent.

This isn't the case with Hermantown. When a team of theirs isn't looking dominant in youth, they just bring in some great players from surrounding communities. Problem solved. Are 3-4 elite level players going to move to Warroad every year to bolster their talent? Luverne? TRF? I-Falls?

You loved watching how awesome the Hawks were this year, right? You loved watching them because they were so talented, so good. Do you realize that their stud, UMD-commit defenseman came to Hermantown as a freshman, their stud top line wing came there as an 8th grader, and their other stud top line wing came there as a SENIOR? These are not "Hermantown players". You are not watching the "product of the Hermantown hockey program", you are watching kids who developed into stars while in other programs, kids who developed with the help of the coaches, teammates, and volunteers in the programs they left behind, all because Hermantown can offer a 99% chance of getting to state. All because, at some point, "getting noticed" or having social media bragging rights became more important than playing for your community, or for your coaches, teammates, and volunteers that helped you for the first fifteen years of your hockey life.

This is what you want? This is a system you support, all so you can watch big-city teams that could be competing for the AA title kick butt in Class A? #-o

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:49 am

rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:42 am
defense wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:28 pm
Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:20 pm
For your argument you picked East and Greenway. Why greenway and East of all teams. The reality would be SCC or Warroad. The matchup of one of those CE Mahtomedi would be just as awesome. SCC looking for a second c-chip. Warroad always brings a great crowd.

And if Hermantown would move up SF Friday at the X we could have watched Hermantown try to take down some great competition. But alas that will never happen!

Tell me something now how many c-chip games will it take for Hermantown to move up?

With the resume they have what are they waiting for?

Your turn to answer my questions.
I did a couple times but here goes again: if I was a Hawks fan, they should have done it 5 years ago. As a class A fan, stay as long as they want because it has made class A hockey that much better leading to the recent point which is obviously so confusing. I don't care how long they stay. My team has been pounded by them too.. It bugs me that my team wasn't good enough, not that the Hawks are in class A.
As for the confusing and irrelevant question: I answered that twice already for ya. I chose two random teams. Input who ya want.
This is the take of yours that is the most baffling. You think watching the same dominant teams make the semis and finals every year has made Class A hockey better. It hasn't. It has just allowed certain programs to stack trophies while actual small town community programs have almost no chance of making a tourney run.

This "great every year" standard of success that you think community teams should be able to reach is a fantasy. Little Falls made some great runs, and then fell off. Greenway was almost dead, then made a great run, and now they will fall off. Luverne had a few great years. Hibbing had some great teams recently, then fell off. Warroad, as good of an A program as there is, didn't go to state for the last decade, and is now making a run. The point is, community teams have ups and downs, cycles of talent.

This isn't the case with Hermantown. When a team of theirs isn't looking dominant in youth, they just bring in some great players from surrounding communities. Problem solved. Are 3-4 elite level players going to move to Warroad every year to bolster their talent? Luverne? TRF? I-Falls?

You loved watching how awesome the Hawks were this year, right? You loved watching them because they were so talented, so good. Do you realize that their stud, UMD-commit defenseman came to Hermantown as a freshman, their stud top line wing came there as an 8th grader, and their other stud top line wing came there as a SENIOR? These are not "Hermantown players". You are not watching the "product of the Hermantown hockey program", you are watching kids who developed into stars while in other programs, kids who developed with the help of the coaches, teammates, and volunteers in the programs they left behind, all because Hermantown can offer a 99% chance of getting to state. All because, at some point, "getting noticed" or having social media bragging rights became more important than playing for your community, or for your coaches, teammates, and volunteers that helped you for the first fifteen years of your hockey life.

This is what you want? This is a system you support, all so you can watch big-city teams that could be competing for the AA title kick butt in Class A? #-o
I really put it in black and white for the other dude. Look at it.
Why will class A hockey die because of Hermantown??
They actually opened the upper deck at the X this year to watch. Yeah, it's dead. You 're right. Never had so much attention, but it's dead, for the same reason!!! Jusr beat Hermantown all I have.

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:59 am

rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:42 am
defense wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:28 pm
Hunters1993 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:20 pm
For your argument you picked East and Greenway. Why greenway and East of all teams. The reality would be SCC or Warroad. The matchup of one of those CE Mahtomedi would be just as awesome. SCC looking for a second c-chip. Warroad always brings a great crowd.

And if Hermantown would move up SF Friday at the X we could have watched Hermantown try to take down some great competition. But alas that will never happen!

Tell me something now how many c-chip games will it take for Hermantown to move up?

With the resume they have what are they waiting for?

Your turn to answer my questions.
I did a couple times but here goes again: if I was a Hawks fan, they should have done it 5 years ago. As a class A fan, stay as long as they want because it has made class A hockey that much better leading to the recent point which is obviously so confusing. I don't care how long they stay. My team has been pounded by them too.. It bugs me that my team wasn't good enough, not that the Hawks are in class A.
As for the confusing and irrelevant question: I answered that twice already for ya. I chose two random teams. Input who ya want.
This is the take of yours that is the most baffling. You think watching the same dominant teams make the semis and finals every year has made Class A hockey better. It hasn't. It has just allowed certain programs to stack trophies while actual small town community programs have almost no chance of making a tourney run.

This "great every year" standard of success that you think community teams should be able to reach is a fantasy. Little Falls made some great runs, and then fell off. Greenway was almost dead, then made a great run, and now they will fall off. Luverne had a few great years. Hibbing had some great teams recently, then fell off. Warroad, as good of an A program as there is, didn't go to state for the last decade, and is now making a run. The point is, community teams have ups and downs, cycles of talent.

This isn't the case with Hermantown. When a team of theirs isn't looking dominant in youth, they just bring in some great players from surrounding communities. Problem solved. Are 3-4 elite level players going to move to Warroad every year to bolster their talent? Luverne? TRF? I-Falls?

You loved watching how awesome the Hawks were this year, right? You loved watching them because they were so talented, so good. Do you realize that their stud, UMD-commit defenseman came to Hermantown as a freshman, their stud top line wing came there as an 8th grader, and their other stud top line wing came there as a SENIOR? These are not "Hermantown players". You are not watching the "product of the Hermantown hockey program", you are watching kids who developed into stars while in other programs, kids who developed with the help of the coaches, teammates, and volunteers in the programs they left behind, all because Hermantown can offer a 99% chance of getting to state. All because, at some point, "getting noticed" or having social media bragging rights became more important than playing for your community, or for your coaches, teammates, and volunteers that helped you for the first fifteen years of your hockey life.

This is what you want? This is a system you support, all so you can watch big-city teams that could be competing for the AA title kick butt in Class A? #-o
Would it be better if those guys went to Duluth East or Grand Rapids?
I am not a fan of players transfering, I am also not a fan of forcing the Hawks out of your league because you cannot beat them. I, as an Otter fan hate that a certain player went to Moorhead a couple years ago, FF wouldve been great with him... but he was special and needed exposure so I was behind it. If he doesn't go to Spuds, he ends up in a factory somewhere, now he will play D1 hockey.. I cannot blame him or his family. No one at Hermantown has this story??????
My other point is what does it do to class A hockey to kick all the good teams out? Because that us what will happen if people like you get your way??

rainier2
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by rainier2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:01 am

defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:49 am
rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:42 am
defense wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:28 pm


I did a couple times but here goes again: if I was a Hawks fan, they should have done it 5 years ago. As a class A fan, stay as long as they want because it has made class A hockey that much better leading to the recent point which is obviously so confusing. I don't care how long they stay. My team has been pounded by them too.. It bugs me that my team wasn't good enough, not that the Hawks are in class A.
As for the confusing and irrelevant question: I answered that twice already for ya. I chose two random teams. Input who ya want.
This is the take of yours that is the most baffling. You think watching the same dominant teams make the semis and finals every year has made Class A hockey better. It hasn't. It has just allowed certain programs to stack trophies while actual small town community programs have almost no chance of making a tourney run.

This "great every year" standard of success that you think community teams should be able to reach is a fantasy. Little Falls made some great runs, and then fell off. Greenway was almost dead, then made a great run, and now they will fall off. Luverne had a few great years. Hibbing had some great teams recently, then fell off. Warroad, as good of an A program as there is, didn't go to state for the last decade, and is now making a run. The point is, community teams have ups and downs, cycles of talent.

This isn't the case with Hermantown. When a team of theirs isn't looking dominant in youth, they just bring in some great players from surrounding communities. Problem solved. Are 3-4 elite level players going to move to Warroad every year to bolster their talent? Luverne? TRF? I-Falls?

You loved watching how awesome the Hawks were this year, right? You loved watching them because they were so talented, so good. Do you realize that their stud, UMD-commit defenseman came to Hermantown as a freshman, their stud top line wing came there as an 8th grader, and their other stud top line wing came there as a SENIOR? These are not "Hermantown players". You are not watching the "product of the Hermantown hockey program", you are watching kids who developed into stars while in other programs, kids who developed with the help of the coaches, teammates, and volunteers in the programs they left behind, all because Hermantown can offer a 99% chance of getting to state. All because, at some point, "getting noticed" or having social media bragging rights became more important than playing for your community, or for your coaches, teammates, and volunteers that helped you for the first fifteen years of your hockey life.

This is what you want? This is a system you support, all so you can watch big-city teams that could be competing for the AA title kick butt in Class A? #-o
I really put it in black and white for the other dude. Look at it.
Why will class A hockey die because of Hermantown??
They actually opened the upper deck at the X this year to watch. Yeah, it's dead. You 're right. Never had so much attention, but it's dead, for the same reason!!! Jusr beat Hermantown all I have.
Ok, so you support players leaving their hometown programs as teenagers and congregating at one school in the area in order to dominate? I just want to be clear. You are completely and utterly OK with this being the standard that other Class A programs need to match, right?

rainier2
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by rainier2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:06 am

defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:59 am
rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:42 am
defense wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:28 pm


I did a couple times but here goes again: if I was a Hawks fan, they should have done it 5 years ago. As a class A fan, stay as long as they want because it has made class A hockey that much better leading to the recent point which is obviously so confusing. I don't care how long they stay. My team has been pounded by them too.. It bugs me that my team wasn't good enough, not that the Hawks are in class A.
As for the confusing and irrelevant question: I answered that twice already for ya. I chose two random teams. Input who ya want.
This is the take of yours that is the most baffling. You think watching the same dominant teams make the semis and finals every year has made Class A hockey better. It hasn't. It has just allowed certain programs to stack trophies while actual small town community programs have almost no chance of making a tourney run.

This "great every year" standard of success that you think community teams should be able to reach is a fantasy. Little Falls made some great runs, and then fell off. Greenway was almost dead, then made a great run, and now they will fall off. Luverne had a few great years. Hibbing had some great teams recently, then fell off. Warroad, as good of an A program as there is, didn't go to state for the last decade, and is now making a run. The point is, community teams have ups and downs, cycles of talent.

This isn't the case with Hermantown. When a team of theirs isn't looking dominant in youth, they just bring in some great players from surrounding communities. Problem solved. Are 3-4 elite level players going to move to Warroad every year to bolster their talent? Luverne? TRF? I-Falls?

You loved watching how awesome the Hawks were this year, right? You loved watching them because they were so talented, so good. Do you realize that their stud, UMD-commit defenseman came to Hermantown as a freshman, their stud top line wing came there as an 8th grader, and their other stud top line wing came there as a SENIOR? These are not "Hermantown players". You are not watching the "product of the Hermantown hockey program", you are watching kids who developed into stars while in other programs, kids who developed with the help of the coaches, teammates, and volunteers in the programs they left behind, all because Hermantown can offer a 99% chance of getting to state. All because, at some point, "getting noticed" or having social media bragging rights became more important than playing for your community, or for your coaches, teammates, and volunteers that helped you for the first fifteen years of your hockey life.

This is what you want? This is a system you support, all so you can watch big-city teams that could be competing for the AA title kick butt in Class A? #-o
Would it be better if those guys went to Duluth East or Grand Rapids?
I am not a fan of players transfering, I am also not a fan of forcing the Hawks out of your league because you cannot beat them. I, as an Otter fan hate that a certain player went to Moorhead a couple years ago, FF wouldve been great with him... but he was special and needed exposure so I was behind it. If he doesn't go to Spuds, he ends up in a factory somewhere, now he will play D1 hockey.. I cannot blame him or his family. No one at Hermantown has this story??????
My other point is what does it do to class A hockey to kick all the good teams out? Because that us what will happen if people like you get your way??
Yes, infinitely better. Everyone accepts that player movement is a way of life in AA.

You say you are not a fan of players transferring, yet you are a fan of the success Hermantown has had, but this success is based on players transferring. Can you not see the flawed logic in your thought process?

Post Reply