The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

defense

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense »

Hunters1993 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:20 pm And that is why class A hockey is dead! They will continue to make C-chips for 10 out of 12, 11 out of 13, 12 out of 14, and 13 out of 15. Kids will continue to hop on this old ugly donkey(hawk) so they can go to the X. And no one will beat them and they will triumph stand on top of that class A hill screaming saying we are the best hockey program in the state. No one can beat OUR LITTLE COMMUNITY HOCKEY TEAM. And they will collect the c-chips for many years. Hockey in the range towns up north will continue to die out. Congratulations Hermantown hockey.

RIP range hockey programs

ELY hockey
Virginia hockey( now cooping with Eveleth)
Eveleth hockey
North Shore Hockey
Greenway hockey
Why are they going to die out? Because they can't go to state?? That sounds pretty weak if they do. Going to state does not make or break a program.
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

"defense", actually, not going to state or, more specifically, knowing you literally have no realistic chance at going to state, has a significant long-term effect on the interest level in your program. Trust me, any time a program that hasn't ever been to state or, hasn't been there for many, many years finally gets there, it provides an immediate boost in interest in hockey in that community. Especially within the youth ranks. Thankfully, the programs that are left in 7A that haven't been to state in many years are so deep in their hockey tradition (outside of Ely) that they have been able too fight against the inertia of Hermantown's dominance. But, if one truly looks closely, the very foundations of those programs are slowly being eroded away and, if some of them aren't able to experience a state tournament run soon, I worry what the next ten years will bring. Especially for Ely and even International Falls.
defense

Post by defense »

Wise Old Man wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:59 pm "defense", actually, not going to state or, more specifically, knowing you literally have no realistic chance at going to state, has a significant long-term effect on the interest level in your program. Trust me, any time a program that hasn't ever been to state or, hasn't been there for many, many years finally gets there, it provides an immediate boost in interest in hockey in that community. Especially within the youth ranks. Thankfully, the programs that are left in 7A that haven't been to state in many years are so deep in their hockey tradition (outside of Ely) that they have been able too fight against the inertia of Hermantown's dominance. But, if one truly looks closely, the very foundations of those programs are slowly being eroded away and, if some of them aren't able to experience a state tournament run soon, I worry what the next ten years will bring. Especially for Ely and even International Falls.
I just have a hard time believing that not going to state means a program does out. Too many programs who haven't been there AND have little chance of going in near future are chugging along. With the expectation of playing a season, beating this rival or that team, winning a single playoff game. Believe it or not, any of those things can mean a great season in most programs.
defense

Post by defense »

I would argue that the cost of playing and recruitment of youngsters in the community to try it are bigger problems than the hs team never went to state.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Haven’t looked at this thread for 6-8 weeks , since Biondi ,Pierce and boys beat eventual state champ Hill Murray . Hockey 59, CakeScout , SEC Scotty were all there , just to name a few

It’s is good to know that no matter whats going on in the world that the Htown opinion posts and thread pages keep increasing as usual !
defense

Post by defense »

defense wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:03 pm
Wise Old Man wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:59 pm "defense", actually, not going to state or, more specifically, knowing you literally have no realistic chance at going to state, has a significant long-term effect on the interest level in your program. Trust me, any time a program that hasn't ever been to state or, hasn't been there for many, many years finally gets there, it provides an immediate boost in interest in hockey in that community. Especially within the youth ranks. Thankfully, the programs that are left in 7A that haven't been to state in many years are so deep in their hockey tradition (outside of Ely) that they have been able too fight against the inertia of Hermantown's dominance. But, if one truly looks closely, the very foundations of those programs are slowly being eroded away and, if some of them aren't able to experience a state tournament run soon, I worry what the next ten years will bring. Especially for Ely and even International Falls.
I just have a hard time believing that not going to state means a program does out. Too many programs who haven't been there AND have little chance of going in near future are chugging along. With the expectation of playing a season, beating this rival or that team, winning a single playoff game. Believe it or not, any of those things can mean a great season in most programs.
Teams that have never been to state or not for a long time and have little hope for awhile: (incomplete list)
Park Rapids, Bagley, Kittson County, Ely, Baudette, Wadena, Crookston, Detroit Lakes ( mid 90's last and only time), Brainerd, Sartell, River Lakes, Northern Lakes, Prarie Center, Breckenridge Wahpeton, Morris Benson, Sauk Rapids ( early 2000's last and only). Viriginia did not long ago.. as did Eveleth before them what happened? Those kids who saw that or joined because of their success should be in hs or just graduated by now. Silver Bay around the Millennium, see Virginia Eveleth question.. Red Lake Falls, all of these programs will survive despite lack of state tournament success and if they don't, there is more to the issue.
Fergus is trying to rise up again hard as they can, but 7 state appearances gave them some of the smallest hockey classes in history, again another issue seldom brought up here , their real problem is declining enrollment. Brainerd and Detroit Lakes programs are somehow very healthy.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Actually Eveleth as an independent program will be no more in two years. They are coping with Virginia.
Can you picture that the home to the hockey hall of fame will not have their own program in a couple years.

As the good players leave to go to Hermantown and play at the X what does that do to a program? As teams lose players to jr hockey or do transfer there goes a number of players. And how many kids are going to want to play in high school when they see the scores they lose by. Recruit players from town when year after year they get killed. s the players dwindle and being bullied year after year keeps occurring. What happens? And in Hermantown recruiting is pretty easy isn’t it.........,,,

How about money to play. The income level of the range is no where near that of Hermantown. Hermantown is an above average incomes and the range towns are below I guarantee it. Yet another advantage for Hermantown.

You know what your resume looks like! Last time a class A school beat you during the season? 2013! How about this one? Give me a list of last four times you lost in section 7 playoffs? You do not belong in class A! You know it!
#KEEPTHEKIDSINTHECLASSROOM
defense

Post by defense »

Hunters1993 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:00 pm Actually Eveleth as an independent program will be no more in two years. They are coping with Virginia.
Can you picture that the home to the hockey hall of fame will not have their own program in a couple years.

As the good players leave to go to Hermantown and play at the X what does that do to a program? As teams lose players to jr hockey or do transfer there goes a number of players. And how many kids are going to want to play in high school when they see the scores they lose by. Recruit players from town when year after year they get killed. s the players dwindle and being bullied year after year keeps occurring. What happens? And in Hermantown recruiting is pretty easy isn’t it.........,,,

How about money to play. The income level of the range is no where near that of Hermantown. Hermantown is an above average incomes and the range towns are below I guarantee it. Yet another advantage for Hermantown.

You know what your resume looks like! Last time a class A school beat you during the season? 2013! How about this one? Give me a list of last four times you lost in section 7 playoffs? You do not belong in class A! You know it!
Umm, read the post again. Virginia and Eveleth were successful 10 to 25 years ago. If a state tournament birth equates to a strong program in the future, what happened to them?? And I did say, a state tournament appearance has little proven affect on the program but money to play probably does.
My resume has zero to do with Hermantown either, I am not their fan.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Looked up last four times Hermantown lost in section 7 playoffs

Last time Hermantown lost to class A team in season 2013.

Be proud of Hermantown resume. It all points to Hermantown being a class AA school.top of the hill that long time to move!
Last edited by Hunters1993 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

defense wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:11 pm
Hunters1993 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:00 pm Actually Eveleth as an independent program will be no more in two years. They are coping with Virginia.

Umm, read the post again. Virginia and Eveleth were successful 10 to 25 years ago. If a state tournament birth equates to a strong program in the future, what happened to them?? And I did say, a state tournament appearance has little proven affect on the program but money to play probably does.
My resume has zero to do with Hermantown either, I am not their fan.
The Hermantown resume . Not their fan really? Fan of who ever is good at the time then?

Did you think about what you just posted? 10 to 25 years ago. That is a long time between trips don’t you think? You have been there 9 out of 11 c-chips. Haven’t lost to class A program since 2013. Last losses in section playoffs 2019,2009,2008,2005. Come on!
Last edited by Hunters1993 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
defense

Post by defense »

Nope. Fan of class A hockey. Not Hermantown 's fan.
The team I follow closest and care most about, Otters, haven't been good for a long time. Not a Hermantown fan. Not my resume. Not my circus. Actually was hoping Denfeld would have showed up in their championship game, guess they didn't.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

defense wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:18 pm Nope. Fan of class A hockey. Not Hermantown 's fan.
The team I follow closest and care most about, Otters, haven't been good for a long time. Not a Hermantown fan. Not my resume. Not my circus. Actually was hoping Denfeld would have showed up in their championship game, guess they didn't.
Let’s look together at their resume then. Let those numbers sink in! You are a fan of one team being on top of the class A hill 9 out of 11 years in c-chip game. Last losses for team. Come on tell me how they belong in class A.

Come to a class AA tourney and dream what it might look like with Hermantown coming on the ice on Friday to play teams like Edina, HM,EP. teams they play regularly during season. Hermantown has beaten the class AA champion during the season like four out of five years now. Imagine the crowd going wild for the Hawks! It would be awesome.

Well the class of hockey you enjoy so much in class A will slowly go the way of the gutter the longer Hermantown stays there.
defense

Post by defense »

Hunters1993 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:24 pm
defense wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:18 pm Nope. Fan of class A hockey. Not Hermantown 's fan.
Let’s look together at their resume then. Let those numbers sink in! You are a fan of one team being on top of the class A hill 9 out of 11 years in c-chip game. Last losses for team. Come on tell me how they belong in class A.

Come to a class AA tourney and dream what it might look like with Hermantown coming on the ice on Friday to play teams like Edina, HM,EP. teams they play regularly during season. Hermantown has beaten the class AA champion during the season like four out of five years now. Imagine the crowd going wild for the Hawks! It would be awesome.

Well the class of hockey you enjoy so much in class A will slowly go the way of the gutter the longer Hermantown stays there.
I remind: if I were a Hawks fan, I would love for them to go AA. I am not though. This year's state A tournement, which I do not "love" but enjoy very much never had so much excitement around it. How great was it when Maht won?? Would it have been better if Maht beat Greenway? Or possibly Mankato East?
And again, if class A dies because of a dominant program.. maybe it was meant to be. I just don't see that happening. Another example is when the Cadets were running the show, those tournaments drew unprecedented interest.
defense

Post by defense »

Is hockey dead in the northwest?? How many state tournaments has Roseau been to??? And Moorhead??
Why does anyone else compete?
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

But STA then decided that is was time to move. How many c-chips games will it take? How many? How many years on the top of the hill 10,20,30.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

defense wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:32 pm

I remind: if I were a Hawks fan, I would love for them to go AA. I am not though. This year's state A tournement, which I do not "love" but enjoy very much never had so much excitement around it. How great was it when Maht won?? Would it have been better if Maht beat Greenway? Or possibly Mankato East?
And again, if class A dies because of a dominant program.. maybe it was meant to be. I just don't see that happening. Another example is when the Cadets were running the show, those tournaments drew unprecedented interest.
They would have had to beat Warroad or SCC. Did you watch the tourney? How would East have ever made the c-chip game?
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Hunters1993 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:36 pm

They would have had to beat Warroad or SCC. Did you watch the tourney? How would East have ever made the c-chip game?
You call what Hermantown has done as dominate? Let’s call it what it is destroy. Do I have to right the numbers again? No school in class A will ever have a run like this and you know it!
defense

Post by defense »

That wasn't the question. Question was" would it have been as exciting???"
defense

Post by defense »

Hunters1993 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:34 pm But STA then decided that is was time to move. How many c-chips games will it take? How many? How many years on the top of the hill 10,20,30.
But, was that tournament as exciting if they were not there?? As much interest??
defense

Post by defense »

Hunters1993 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:38 pm

You call what Hermantown has done as dominate? Let’s call it what it is destroy. Do I have to right the numbers again? No school in class A will ever have a run like this and you know it!
And, it was super exciting to see Maht beat them. As exciting to watch Mahr beat Greenway?? Or Mankato East or West, or perhaps Alex??
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

defense wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:39 pm

Actually you asked in your post would it be as exciting if East or Greenway has been there. And I answered that question. East wouldn’t have made it. It would have been SCC or Warroad.yes that would have been amazing.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Hunters1993 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:38 pm

Think about this again.

defense

Post by defense »

Hunters1993 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:45 pm

Actually you asked in your post would it be as exciting if East or Greenway has been there. And I answered that question. East wouldn’t have made it. It would have been SCC or Warroad.yes that would have been amazing.
Yep. That was my question. Not Warroad, not SCC, I asked about Greenway or East against the Zephyrs in the championship.
defense

Post by defense »

Would it have drawn as much interest? As much drama? Would so many people have shown up?
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

defense wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:53 pm
Hunters1993 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:45 pm

Yep. That was my question. Not Warroad, not SCC, I asked about Greenway or East against the Zephyrs in the championship.
And neither of those teams would have made the c-chip game. Either SCC or Warroad would have played a Mahtomedi. Would have been amazing! Yes! Class A hockey is very good and an even playing field would have brought real fans. Not just those who want to see the Herman(Ely,Virginia,Proctor, Virginia)town.

How amazing would it have been to see Biondi, Kilen, Backstrom, Pierce come out and play the class AA schools in the tourney this year. Tgat would have been even more amazing!