The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Puck8
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:31 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Puck8 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:27 pm

doghockey wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:40 pm
It never gets old watching the wannabe hockey purists whine about St.Thomas. And Blake. And Breck. And Hermantown. Eventually you crabby folks will get your way and there will be no talent in A hockey. Then you will undoubtedly have another thread complaining about the boring A tournament and how nobody shows up to watch the un-epic Dodge County-Pine City games.
The issue is not just the “What”, it’s the “How” that most have an issue with. When an A team continually brings in outsiders and plays a primarily AA regular season schedule then dominates A for the better part of a decade, that’s a problem. Either play a true A schedule, or move up to AA. I suspect AA is more appealing for those teams’ “model”.
And please save the condescending comments about the A teams that would then have an opportunity to experience State as this was all designed to do to begin with. Seeing those small, outstate teams make a run is what should define the A tourney. There is some great talent within each section that would be fun to watch each year.

O-townClown
Posts: 4034
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by O-townClown » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:01 am

doghockey wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:40 pm
It never gets old watching the wannabe hockey purists whine about St.Thomas. And Blake.
I missed the whining about Blake.

It'll dissipate as soon as people watch a few shifts this week. Any fan of hockey will love to watch this team play.
Be kind. Rewind.

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2649
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:06 am

doghockey wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:40 pm
It never gets old watching the wannabe hockey purists whine about St.Thomas. And Blake. And Breck. And Hermantown. Eventually you crabby folks will get your way and there will be no talent in A hockey. Then you will undoubtedly have another thread complaining about the boring A tournament and how nobody shows up to watch the un-epic Dodge County-Pine City games.
Hermantown = making trophy chasing great! I must have missed the 42 page rants on the Blake and Breck programs. BTW, Plante was the whiner on St. Thomas if I recall correct.

Hunters1993
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:22 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Hunters1993 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:19 am

There is the poster to take to the tourney. Trump made “Make America Great Again”.

Hermantown made
“Make Trophy Chasing Great Again”

There is the poster for the tourney........
How many c-chip games will it take Hawks?

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:51 am

Puck8 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:27 pm
doghockey wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:40 pm
It never gets old watching the wannabe hockey purists whine about St.Thomas. And Blake. And Breck. And Hermantown. Eventually you crabby folks will get your way and there will be no talent in A hockey. Then you will undoubtedly have another thread complaining about the boring A tournament and how nobody shows up to watch the un-epic Dodge County-Pine City games.
The issue is not just the “What”, it’s the “How” that most have an issue with. When an A team continually brings in outsiders and plays a primarily AA regular season schedule then dominates A for the better part of a decade, that’s a problem. Either play a true A schedule, or move up to AA. I suspect AA is more appealing for those teams’ “model”.
And please save the condescending comments about the A teams that would then have an opportunity to experience State as this was all designed to do to begin with. Seeing those small, outstate teams make a run is what should define the A tourney. There is some great talent within each section that would be fun to watch each year.
Monticello is a AA team.... just saying.

I cant figure out why these boards dont have more " how can we beat them?" How can Denfeld win? " ...
Instead of " Hermantown is a AA team blaha.. wah wah.."
People realize that their enrollment doesnt even approach AA yet?
Otter Hockey Rocks

HSPuckFan96
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:09 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by HSPuckFan96 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:04 am

doghockey wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:40 pm
It never gets old watching the wannabe hockey purists whine about St.Thomas. And Blake. And Breck. And Hermantown. Eventually you crabby folks will get your way and there will be no talent in A hockey. Then you will undoubtedly have another thread complaining about the boring A tournament and how nobody shows up to watch the un-epic Dodge County-Pine City games.
The St Thomas one was different, for me...they hid behind "enrollment" numbers, but their school is only for boys...so, by having only boys, they have half of a regular school's enrollment. They have as many boys as most of the AA class...that, for me, is the reason they should be enrolled in AA for hockey.

Someone mentioned Monticello...how close are they to the cut for AA? I know they were to be bumped up, so the dumped the Annandale co-op, not wanting to play AA. Their program has improved since getting their own arena. I would think they have to be close to the AA line

bardown27
Posts: 588
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:20 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by bardown27 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:11 am

HSPuckFan96 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:04 am
doghockey wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:40 pm
It never gets old watching the wannabe hockey purists whine about St.Thomas. And Blake. And Breck. And Hermantown. Eventually you crabby folks will get your way and there will be no talent in A hockey. Then you will undoubtedly have another thread complaining about the boring A tournament and how nobody shows up to watch the un-epic Dodge County-Pine City games.
The St Thomas one was different, for me...they hid behind "enrollment" numbers, but their school is only for boys...so, by having only boys, they have half of a regular school's enrollment. They have as many boys as most of the AA class...that, for me, is the reason they should be enrolled in AA for hockey.

Someone mentioned Monticello...how close are they to the cut for AA? I know they were to be bumped up, so the dumped the Annandale co-op, not wanting to play AA. Their program has improved since getting their own arena. I would think they have to be close to the AA line
AA enrollment cutoff is 1252, Monticello currently sits at 1113, Maple Lake currently sits at 293.

elliott70
Posts: 13634
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by elliott70 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:12 am

HSPuckFan96 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:04 am
doghockey wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:40 pm
It never gets old watching the wannabe hockey purists whine about St.Thomas. And Blake. And Breck. And Hermantown. Eventually you crabby folks will get your way and there will be no talent in A hockey. Then you will undoubtedly have another thread complaining about the boring A tournament and how nobody shows up to watch the un-epic Dodge County-Pine City games.
The St Thomas one was different, for me...they hid behind "enrollment" numbers, but their school is only for boys...so, by having only boys, they have half of a regular school's enrollment. They have as many boys as most of the AA class...that, for me, is the reason they should be enrolled in AA for hockey.

Someone mentioned Monticello...how close are they to the cut for AA? I know they were to be bumped up, so the dumped the Annandale co-op, not wanting to play AA. Their program has improved since getting their own arena. I would think they have to be close to the AA line
1252 is cut-off.
Monticello is at 1113

hockey59
Posts: 1700
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by hockey59 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:43 am

I suggest the moderators lock this thread until after the tourney. Those like defense will always simply retort that since Hermantown is technically under the AA enrollment number, that playing single a is A OK. Those like me will say that when you make the single a title game 5 years in a row (albeit lose all 5) then win the single a title in back to back years, and when your AA Bantams & AA PeeWees are consistently advancing to the AA MAHA State tournaments, ya might wanna consider chasing the BIG TROPHY & TITLE, not the little trophy & title. But...that’s simply something both parties will likely never agree on 🏒☝️

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:56 am

I thin Hermantown should go AA if they want. Obviously they can. I also think that they are a class A school, regardless of their success. I just wonder why so many want others to change in order to fulfill their agenda. When did we forget about taking care if ourselves??
Sick of Hermantown?? Pull an EGF...

Monticello and Maple Lake enrollment is above AA as stated in another post.
Otter Hockey Rocks

Hunters1993
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:22 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Hunters1993 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:13 am

I was just thinking. I was daydreaming high school hockey this morning. Imagine a game where Pierce, Biondi , Kulin are playing a third period in the state tourney vs the best in AA hockey with the season on the line. Playing EP not in the regular season where teams are not playing with the season on the line. But in playoffs where all the coaches, players, and fans know a loss ends your season. When you think about it that is when the games are that much more exciting and the atmosphere is awesome. Or imagine Blake, Hill Murray. Best players all knowing that a loss ends their season, and for seniors their high school careers.
Wonder how Pierce, Biondi, Kulin vs other top lines in AA would look? That would be a high school hockey fans dream come true!!!!!!!!!!!
How many c-chip games will it take Hawks?

hockey59
Posts: 1700
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by hockey59 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:53 am

Hunters1993 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:13 am
I was just thinking. I was daydreaming high school hockey this morning. Imagine a game where Pierce, Biondi , Kulin are playing a third period in the state tourney vs the best in AA hockey with the season on the line. Playing EP not in the regular season where teams are not playing with the season on the line. But in playoffs where all the coaches, players, and fans know a loss ends your season. When you think about it that is when the games are that much more exciting and the atmosphere is awesome. Or imagine Blake, Hill Murray. Best players all knowing that a loss ends their season, and for seniors their high school careers.
Wonder how Pierce, Biondi, Kulin vs other top lines in AA would look? That would be a high school hockey fans dream come true!!!!!!!!!!!
That exactly the point...that’s something the Hermantown players have NEVER EXPERIENCED...through no fault of their own. Yes, the Single A tourney is more compelling this year (more than most) because Warroad, St Cloud Cathedral & Hermantown are all really good☝️. But it will never match what the Hermantown players were never given a chance to achieve, representing 7AA at State & playing in front of 19,000 fans. And to me, no agenda here, no Dog in the fight...that’s truly unfortunate for their players ☝️

Hunters1993
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:22 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Hunters1993 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:58 am

We see things the same! I was wondering what other sides view of this thought would be.
How many c-chip games will it take Hawks?

Puck8
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:31 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Puck8 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:11 am

hockey59 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:43 am
I suggest the moderators lock this thread until after the tourney. Those like defense will always simply retort that since Hermantown is technically under the AA enrollment number, that playing single a is A OK. Those like me will say that when you make the single a title game 5 years in a row (albeit lose all 5) then win the single a title in back to back years, and when your AA Bantams & AA PeeWees are consistently advancing to the AA MAHA State tournaments, ya might wanna consider chasing the BIG TROPHY & TITLE, not the little trophy & title. But...that’s simply something both parties will likely never agree on 🏒☝️
I’m with you 100%. Youth teams play AA and HS team plays a legit AA schedule then they play in the A playoffs. If that doesn’t give one pause, nothing will. Htown is the most visible doing this, but if there are others with the same dynamics, then they should move up as well.

rainier2
Posts: 493
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by rainier2 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:18 am

defense wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:51 am
Puck8 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:27 pm
doghockey wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:40 pm
It never gets old watching the wannabe hockey purists whine about St.Thomas. And Blake. And Breck. And Hermantown. Eventually you crabby folks will get your way and there will be no talent in A hockey. Then you will undoubtedly have another thread complaining about the boring A tournament and how nobody shows up to watch the un-epic Dodge County-Pine City games.
The issue is not just the “What”, it’s the “How” that most have an issue with. When an A team continually brings in outsiders and plays a primarily AA regular season schedule then dominates A for the better part of a decade, that’s a problem. Either play a true A schedule, or move up to AA. I suspect AA is more appealing for those teams’ “model”.
And please save the condescending comments about the A teams that would then have an opportunity to experience State as this was all designed to do to begin with. Seeing those small, outstate teams make a run is what should define the A tourney. There is some great talent within each section that would be fun to watch each year.
Monticello is a AA team.... just saying.

I cant figure out why these boards dont have more " how can we beat them?" How can Denfeld win? " ...
Instead of " Hermantown is a AA team blaha.. wah wah.."
People realize that their enrollment doesnt even approach AA yet?
Do you realize open enrollment in a metro area makes enrollment numbers meaningless?

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:24 am

rainier2 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:18 am
defense wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:51 am
Puck8 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:27 pm


The issue is not just the “What”, it’s the “How” that most have an issue with. When an A team continually brings in outsiders and plays a primarily AA regular season schedule then dominates A for the better part of a decade, that’s a problem. Either play a true A schedule, or move up to AA. I suspect AA is more appealing for those teams’ “model”.
And please save the condescending comments about the A teams that would then have an opportunity to experience State as this was all designed to do to begin with. Seeing those small, outstate teams make a run is what should define the A tourney. There is some great talent within each section that would be fun to watch each year.
Monticello is a AA team.... just saying.

I cant figure out why these boards dont have more " how can we beat them?" How can Denfeld win? " ...
Instead of " Hermantown is a AA team blaha.. wah wah.."
People realize that their enrollment doesnt even approach AA yet?
Do you realize open enrollment in a metro area makes enrollment numbers meaningless?
Unsure of your angle. ??
Otter Hockey Rocks

Hunters1993
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:22 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Hunters1993 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:29 am

Do we really have to spell it out for you? Open enrollment at Hermantown. Kids in metro area can easily play at Hermantown and numbers of enrolled kids doesn’t change substantially. Double bonus. Great kid moves in , add one to enrollment, five great kids move in enrollment goes up by five. Easy math for you!
How many c-chip games will it take Hawks?

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:33 am

Hunters1993 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:29 am
Do we really have to spell it out for you? Open enrollment at Hermantown. Kids in metro area can easily play at Hermantown and numbers of enrolled kids doesn’t change substantially. Double bonus. Great kid moves in , add one to enrollment, five great kids move in enrollment goes up by five. Easy math for you!
No. I understand your idea. But the post responded to mentioned Hermantown AND Monticello so didnt know which angle was being presented.
Otter Hockey Rocks

Hunters1993
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:22 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Hunters1993 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:35 am

Hope your 600 students can outroot the other 6000 fans rooting against your club. Have fun!
How many c-chip games will it take Hawks?

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:46 am

My team is not going to compete on the ice at the X Cell center this March. In fact the defending champs won their section. Oh, you mean Hermantown lol. Not a Hermantown fan either. Wasnt a STA fan. But I am a fan of integrity of the system. Forcing all the champions out of a league messes with the system. Class A is not about the also ran teams competing, it's about the smaller schools competing.. otherwise we would have a two tier system.
Otter Hockey Rocks

Hunters1993
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:22 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Hunters1993 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:47 am

Make
A hockey
great
Again
How many c-chip games will it take Hawks?

Hunters1993
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:22 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Hunters1993 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:00 pm

Not forcing champions up, forcing all star northern teams. The Herm(Ely,Virginia, Denfeld, Hayward)antown
hawks.
How many c-chip games will it take Hawks?

Slap Shot
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:44 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:18 pm

Thunderstruck wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:41 pm
What if there was no moving up a class, what if all schools had to play where their enrollment dictates. That would put CEC and Grand Rapids in 7A. Then some of the kids(or should I say parents) couldn't just pick up and move to H-town aka Lake Superior Stars high school team for a 99.8% chance of going to state tournament. This would make 7A more competitive and maybe it wouldn't be as much of a guaranteed trip to the x. Might of been Rapids this year. Other sports don't have move ups. What do you guys think. 8A Roseau, Warroad EGF section would be awesome also.
I would go for this, but place all the privates schools into the fewest number of sections possible to reduce the likelihood that privates would dominate entries into the tournament.

bardown27
Posts: 588
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:20 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by bardown27 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:48 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:18 pm
Thunderstruck wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:41 pm
What if there was no moving up a class, what if all schools had to play where their enrollment dictates. That would put CEC and Grand Rapids in 7A. Then some of the kids(or should I say parents) couldn't just pick up and move to H-town aka Lake Superior Stars high school team for a 99.8% chance of going to state tournament. This would make 7A more competitive and maybe it wouldn't be as much of a guaranteed trip to the x. Might of been Rapids this year. Other sports don't have move ups. What do you guys think. 8A Roseau, Warroad EGF section would be awesome also.
I would go for this, but place all the privates schools into the fewest number of sections possible to reduce the likelihood that privates would dominate entries into the tournament.
From the 2011 tourney to this years, there have only been 13 private schools to make the tourney, and only 1 private has won AA (BSM in 2012).This is the first year in the last 10 that there have been more than 2 AA private school teams in the tourney, so I wouldn't worry so much about privates "dominating" tournament entries.

As for A, there have been 20 private schools in the tourney since the 2011 tournament, with the early 2010's having 3 (2011) and 4 (2012 and 22013) when STA was still class A they went and won it 3x in a row. Since they moved up, there has only been more than 2 private times one time (2016) and only one private school has won the A tournament since STA moved up (SCC last year).

zooomx
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:34 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by zooomx » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:13 pm

Today it's Hermantown
Yesterday it was STA
If Hermantown moves up then tomorrow it will be St. Cloud Cathedral, EGF and Warroad.
Soon after Alexandria, Mahtomedi, Orono, etc, etc, etc.

So, if all larger or stronger Class A schools move up we would be left with a great AA tournament, yet a lot of quality programs that have little chance to make it. The Class A tournament would be a yawner. If we are going to go that route, we might as well just go 3 classes that are more evenly balanced.

Let's also identify the rub here. For years Hermantown was sick of playing Jan to STA's Marsha. So they pissed and moaned until STA moved up.

Today the screaming about Hermantown is 99% about Section 7A. If Hermantown was 5A, then the Monticellos, Princetons and North Branches of the world would be on this board complaining.

My point is this: There will always be a big bully school in the way of some teams getting what they want. Hermantown moving up only moves the scrutiny on to the next school. It will never end and it is exhausting.

Post Reply