The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

zooomx
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:34 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by zooomx » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:54 am

kniven wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:50 pm
kniven wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:08 pm
1. Nearly everyone, pro and con, agree that Hermantown has an excellent hockey program.
2. Almost everyone, pro and con, agrees that Hermantown should be in AA.
3. None of the A/AA controversy is the fault of the players, and they should be congratulated on their success, no matter what level it is at.
Why is it so difficult for people to realize that Hermantown does not have a magical potion or secret sauce, it is simply they have a good base program and then add a few of the areas top squirts, pee wees, bantams, and hs players every year. Simply put it is a numbers game. They take there base and bring in a few of the areas other top players every year and poooof there a winner. Hermantown was nothing more than a speed bump prior to the advent of AAA youth hockey. The Lake Superior Stars bring in a selection of local youth players that are above average and by doing so they create bonds with like skilled kids. Those kids and the parents see what happens when they come together and decide hey why not continue the summer success in the winter. I’m shocked more teams in the state don’t opt to play A. You can still play the best AA teams in the state and dominate A in regular and post seasons.
They are overrated. Did not make last year's tournament, and couldn't get out of the quarterfinals the year before. <snore>
Last edited by zooomx on Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

hockey59
Posts: 1700
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by hockey59 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:27 am

kniven wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:50 pm
kniven wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:08 pm
1. Nearly everyone, pro and con, agree that Hermantown has an excellent hockey program.
2. Almost everyone, pro and con, agrees that Hermantown should be in AA.
3. None of the A/AA controversy is the fault of the players, and they should be congratulated on their success, no matter what level it is at.
Why is it so difficult for people to realize that Hermantown does not have a magical potion or secret sauce, it is simply they have a good base program and then add a few of the areas top squirts, pee wees, bantams, and hs players every year. Simply put it is a numbers game. They take there base and bring in a few of the areas other top players every year and poooof there a winner. Hermantown was nothing more than a speed bump prior to the advent of AAA youth hockey. The Lake Superior Stars bring in a selection of local youth players that are above average and by doing so they create bonds with like skilled kids. Those kids and the parents see what happens when they come together and decide hey why not continue the summer success in the winter. I’m shocked more teams in the state don’t opt to play A. You can still play the best AA teams in the state and dominate A in regular and post seasons.
I agree with everything in your post EXCEPT the last 2 sentences. Hermantown is a de facto AA team with AA talent, from AA Peewee all the way up to Varsity. And that’s what makes them (continuing to) play Single A, a flipping DISGRACE and disservice to their players☝️☝️

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:19 am

hockey59 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:27 am
kniven wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:50 pm
kniven wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:08 pm
1. Nearly everyone, pro and con, agree that Hermantown has an excellent hockey program.
2. Almost everyone, pro and con, agrees that Hermantown should be in AA.
3. None of the A/AA controversy is the fault of the players, and they should be congratulated on their success, no matter what level it is at.
Why is it so difficult for people to realize that Hermantown does not have a magical potion or secret sauce, it is simply they have a good base program and then add a few of the areas top squirts, pee wees, bantams, and hs players every year. Simply put it is a numbers game. They take there base and bring in a few of the areas other top players every year and poooof there a winner. Hermantown was nothing more than a speed bump prior to the advent of AAA youth hockey. The Lake Superior Stars bring in a selection of local youth players that are above average and by doing so they create bonds with like skilled kids. Those kids and the parents see what happens when they come together and decide hey why not continue the summer success in the winter. I’m shocked more teams in the state don’t opt to play A. You can still play the best AA teams in the state and dominate A in regular and post seasons.
I agree with everything in your post EXCEPT the last 2 sentences. Hermantown is a de facto AA team with AA talent, from AA Peewee all the way up to Varsity. And that’s what makes them (continuing to) play Single A, a flipping DISGRACE and disservice to their players☝️☝️
Disgrace and disservice??? I think maybe a little exaggeration?? Not the end of the earth that Hermantown plays A instead of AA. They could play AA, but oh well. Tomorrow will come if the Hawks are class A or AA or AAA or NHL or whatever
Otter Hockey Rocks

hockey59
Posts: 1700
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by hockey59 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:52 pm

If you disagree with my opinion (that’s all it is) well defense ...that’s your prerogative. ☝️Disgrace is probably too strong of a word (but only barely). Disservice on the other hand is SPOT ON ACCURATE. How do I know this? Well, because I had the privilege of watching my youngest son play in the AA Tourney for Anoka at Xcel in 2016 (vs EP in the 6pm game). An opportunity the Hermantown players are robbed of the possibility of achieving ...by small minded, per pupil open enrollment money grabbing, school administrators. That’s a disservice to all the Hermantown player & two in particular, Blake Biondi & Joey Pierce... Nuff Said 🏒

kniven
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by kniven » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:30 pm

“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

kniven
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by kniven » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:01 pm

“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

kniven
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by kniven » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:04 pm

“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

Upfan111
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 5:16 pm
Location: Up north

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Upfan111 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:23 pm

3 out dated articles? =D>

HHawks4Ever
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:34 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by HHawks4Ever » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:31 am

Congrats to the Hawks on getting back to St. Paul!

ndirishfighting
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 12:34 pm
Location: MN

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by ndirishfighting » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:54 am

I have only one question? Why in the ************* is your best player on the ice with five seconds left and it’s five to zero? Afraid of a comeback?

I lost all respect for you after that.
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2649
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:27 am

ndirishfighting wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:54 am
I have only one question? Why in the ************* is your best player on the ice with five seconds left and it’s five to zero? Afraid of a comeback?

I lost all respect for you after that.
You mean to tell me that you had respect for Hermantown? #-o

rainier2
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by rainier2 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:02 am

HHawks4Ever wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:31 am
Congrats to the Hawks on getting back to St. Paul!
It's amazing what that program is able to do with such a small enrollment. :roll:

rainier2
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by rainier2 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:04 am

ndirishfighting wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:54 am
I have only one question? Why in the ************* is your best player on the ice with five seconds left and it’s five to zero? Afraid of a comeback?

I lost all respect for you after that.
It's Bruce Plante's philosophy. When you're up by a ton late, keep your top line out there so they can all complete their hat tricks.

Jeffy95
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:07 am

HHawks4Ever wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:31 am
Congrats to the Ely/Virginia/Proctor/Denfeld/Hayward/Hermantown Northern MN All Stars on getting back to St. Paul!
There, fixed that for you.

Jeffy95
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:14 am

ndirishfighting wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:54 am
I have only one question? Why in the ************* is your best player on the ice with five seconds left and it’s five to zero? Afraid of a comeback?

I lost all respect for you after that.
Top line played the final minute. The Virginia kid had two goals so he was trying to get him his hat trick to show appreciation for him coming over to help them get back to the X. Him and the Hayward kid were the best players on the ice last night. Combined for 6 points. The Ely kid on the Blue Line might be the best Defenseman in Class A. The Proctor kid with a couple of points too. When you can recruit like that, you can beat the #6 team in the State 6-0 and outshoot them 50-10. Every year you can feel more of the life being sucked right out of 7A. It's pretty much finished as a Section.

Usthockey13
Posts: 567
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Usthockey13 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:20 am

Heck Hermantown might be better next year. They have the best or top 3 bantam AA team in the state.

rainier2
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by rainier2 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:26 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:14 am
ndirishfighting wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:54 am
I have only one question? Why in the ************* is your best player on the ice with five seconds left and it’s five to zero? Afraid of a comeback?

I lost all respect for you after that.
Top line played the final minute. The Virginia kid had two goals so he was trying to get him his hat trick to show appreciation for him coming over to help them get back to the X. Him and the Hayward kid were the best players on the ice last night. Combined for 6 points. The Ely kid on the Blue Line might be the best Defenseman in Class A. The Proctor kid with a couple of points too. When you can recruit like that, you can beat the #6 team in the State 6-0 and outshoot them 50-10. Every year you can feel more of the life being sucked right out of 7A. It's pretty much finished as a Section.
Agreed. And Denfeld may very well be top 3 in A next year, but will still get hammered by Hermantown Academy, especially once we see how strong the Sandhawks' latest recruiting class is. I'm guessing we'll see the other Virginia kid end up there next year.

StanleyCup55
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:36 am

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by StanleyCup55 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:31 am

It is 100% a disgrace to the game of hockey. It’s ruining hockey in the north and a complete joke that a section final is this lopsided every year (except the miracle last year).

Everyone says leave the kids alone. Well, those kids chose to go play for a team that would #1 in AA and plays AA teams all year and competes in fun, close games against the best in the state. Then, they go to the playoffs and play North Shore (12-1) Eveleth (8-0) then Denfeld (6-0). They outshot opponents in the section tournament by a whopping margin of 179-32! They outshot North Shore 76-10 in the quarterfinals.

Anyone defending Hermantown needs to check themselves and get back to reality

This team and town are 100% a disgrace to the game of hockey
Last edited by StanleyCup55 on Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

HSPuckFan96
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:09 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by HSPuckFan96 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:36 am

I'm surprised that there isn't more uproar within the Hermantown community to move them up to AA on a couple of year trial basis...might even help recruiting to get the boys to the bigger show

Usthockey13
Posts: 567
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Usthockey13 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:20 am

Why would they complain? They play AA all the way up in youth, then a regular season schedule in HS then plays 3 teams in section they dominate with an almost guaranteed trip to state every year. Then when they get there game 1 is usually like their 3 section games.

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:51 am

At risk of getting blasted here: is Denfeld really a state tournement caliber team this year? Was any of the teams that Hermantown has faced in the playoffs section championship material?? Honestly?
Otter Hockey Rocks

ndirishfighting
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 12:34 pm
Location: MN

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by ndirishfighting » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:56 am

Would anything happen if no single A teams played them all year?

Would the MSHSL or someone step in or would it not matter?
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:02 am

Would not matter. It would be a farce if it did matter.
Let's get real, playing all AA competition in regular season is a guideline to force a team to AA??? There may be issues but this one stretches it a bit imo.
Is it a reason for the Hawks themselves to look at in order to support a move? Yes. For a governing body to do so? No.
Otter Hockey Rocks

rainier2
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by rainier2 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:10 am

ndirishfighting wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:56 am
Would anything happen if no single A teams played them all year?

Would the MSHSL or someone step in or would it not matter?
I've thought something similar to this would be hilarious. Namely, I'd like to see all other 7A teams opt up to AA as a protest move. If they did this, their regular season schedules wouldn't have to change, and if you're gonna just get destroyed by Hermantown in the playoffs, might as well lose to a AA team that actually plays in AA.

Next year, when Hermantown once again declares they will be staying in A, it would be a dream come true to watch the other 9 teams in 7A declare for AA. I'd pay big money to see the AD's face when she go the news. :D

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:14 am

rainier2 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:10 am
ndirishfighting wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:56 am
Would anything happen if no single A teams played them all year?

Would the MSHSL or someone step in or would it not matter?
I've thought something similar to this would be hilarious. Namely, I'd like to see all other 7A teams opt up to AA as a protest move. If they did this, their regular season schedules wouldn't have to change, and if you're gonna just get destroyed by Hermantown in the playoffs, might as well lose to a AA team that actually plays in AA.

Next year, when Hermantown once again declares they will be staying in A, it would be a dream come true to watch the other 9 teams in 7A declare for AA. I'd pay big money to see the AD's face when she go the news. :D
Actually, why the heck not? I bet the results in the end for all teams would be similar regardless.
Otter Hockey Rocks

Post Reply