Games Tuesday 12-19-17

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Games Tuesday 12-19-17

Post by elliott70 »

Little Falls vs Northern Lakes
Wadena-Deer Creek vs Prairie Centre Area

North Branch vs Pine City Area
Kittson Central vs Lake of the Woods

St. Paul Academy vs St. Louis Park
Fairmont vs Worthington

Litchfield/Dassel-Cokato vs Orono
Mankato East/Loyola vs Mound Westonka/Watertown-Mayer

Rosemount vs Shakopee
South St. Paul vs St. Paul Johnson

Totino-Grace vs Anoka
Prior Lake vs Apple Valley

Lakeville South vs Burnsville
Delano vs Minneapolis

Buffalo vs Wayzata
Becker/Big Lake vs Monticello

Eastview vs Farmington
Maple Grove vs Elk River/Zimmerman

Hopkins vs Rogers
Austin vs Faribault

Minnetonka vs Bloomington Jefferson
Minnesota River vs Redwood Valley

Holy Family Catholic vs Waconia
St. Francis vs Legacy Christian

Willmar vs River Lakes
Princeton vs Sauk Rapids-Rice

Duluth Denfeld vs St. Cloud Cathedral
Mahtomedi vs Northfield

Hutchinson vs New Prague
Winona/Cotter vs Rochester John Marshall

Edina vs Cretin-Derham Hall
Lakeville North vs Eagan

Centennial vs Duluth East
Sartell-St. Stephen vs St. Cloud

Fergus Falls vs Alexandria
Bemidji vs East Grand Forks

Park Rapids Area vs Crookston
Windom Area vs Luverne

Bloomington Kennedy vs New Ulm
St. Paul Highland Park/Central vs Mora/Milaca

C-E-C vs Hibbing/Chisholm
Forest Lake vs Woodbury

Henry Sibley vs Tartan
Simley vs Coon Rapids

Eveleth-Gilbert Area vs Greenway/Nash-Kee
Cambridge-Isanti vs Andover

Hastings vs Park of Cottage Grove
Chaska vs East Ridge

Onalaska (WI) vs La Crescent
North Shore vs Hayward (WI)

Proctor vs Superior (WI)
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Delano vs Minneapolis - Mpls started 5-0, now faces Delano who just lost to Holy Family Fire only 4-2

Buffalo vs Wayzata - A lot of excitement over the young players on Buffalo, but Wayzata looked invincible against B-SM on Thursday and then won in OT over Cretin

Maple Grove vs Elk River/Zimmerman - some buzz after Elk River hung 7 on Edina, Maple Grove impressed early with an OT win over Wayzata

Edina vs Cretin-Derham Hall - next to try to slow the Hornets is C-DH

Centennial vs Duluth East - possibly the best game of the day
Be kind. Rewind.
elliott70

Re: Games Tuesday 12-19-17

Post by elliott70 »

Games of th day

North Branch vs Pine City
Maple Grove vs Elk River

Mahtomedi vs Northfield

Edina vs Cretin-Derham Hall
Lakeville North vs Eagan

Centennial vs Duluth East
Sartell-St. Stephen vs St. Cloud

Fergus Falls vs Alexandria
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

O-townClown wrote:Buffalo vs Wayzata - A lot of excitement over the young players on Buffalo, but Wayzata looked invincible against B-SM on Thursday and then won in OT over Cretin
Other than a 15-3 romp over Cambridge-ISanti, Buffalo hasn’t scored more than a single goal in any of their games. The real star of the show has been their junior goalie, Mueller, who has posted two 1-0 shutouts. Buffalo is going to have a real difficult time generating any offense against Wayzata.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Stang5280 wrote:
O-townClown wrote:Buffalo vs Wayzata - A lot of excitement over the young players on Buffalo, but Wayzata looked invincible against B-SM on Thursday and then won in OT over Cretin
Other than a 15-3 romp over Cambridge-ISanti, Buffalo hasn’t scored more than a single goal in any of their games. The real star of the show has been their junior goalie, Mueller, who has posted two 1-0 shutouts. Buffalo is going to have a real difficult time generating any offense against Wayzata.
Believe me the O'Clown knows when something is up.
Pay attention to this game.
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

Any online video/audio for Centennial vs. Duluth East for us city folk that can't make the drive to Duluth?
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

ryguyMN wrote:Any online video/audio for Centennial vs. Duluth East for us city folk that can't make the drive to Duluth?
No video; it is on 92.1 FM locally but I'm not seeing any evidence of streaming. Might want to poke around a little more than I did before rushing out the door here, though.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

Cloquet-the most hated team in HS hockey-is up on Hibbing 2-1 after 1. :D
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

rainier2 wrote:Cloquet-the most hated team in HS hockey-is up on Hibbing 2-1 after 1. :D
C'mon Bluejackets, I hate CEC.

jk :D
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

elliott70 wrote:
rainier2 wrote:Cloquet-the most hated team in HS hockey-is up on Hibbing 2-1 after 1. :D
C'mon Bluejackets, I hate CEC.

jk :D
Yea, c'mon Hibbing. Damn Lumberjacks!!! Cloquet, that is, Elliott :roll:
What is a Green Wave anyway?
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

Jacks pulling away, up 5-2 after 2.

Oh how I hate them! :D
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

EGF - 3 - 2 - Bem OT
Shots: EGF = 29, Bem 14.

Maybe some bad non-calls against EGF. Homers? :wink:
What is a Green Wave anyway?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Duluth East 5, Centennial 3, Final (EN). Shots on the board read 43-20 Hounds.

My run of entertaining games continues. The first period was probably the most even, with East controlling the puck more but Centennial producing some very good chances off the rush, and an East PPG being the only tally. East had a strong 2nd but Lucas McGregor had an answer for each of their goals. In the 3rd, East put on a clinic and barely let Centennial across the blue line, but McGregor snuck through and finished his hat trick to tie it on their first shot on goal of the period with 5 and change left. But Mageau had a quick response, and also added the empty-netter to salt it away.

It was the sort of game where both teams executed their game plans pretty well. The Hounds by and large cleaned up the defensive issues they had in the Cloquet game and had long stretches of vintage East forechecking and puck control. Hunter Paine in particular had a very nice game. Centennial, as they had in most if not all their games against East during their 5-game winning streak against the Hounds, hung around and looked to sneak out high floaters for some good chances. Both goaltenders played very well.

Of possible concern for East was Garrett Worth sitting on the bench for much of the third period. There was an unpleasant scrum around the East net after the final horn. The Centennial coaches were livid, so not sure if something came out of that. We'll see when we get the gamesheet.
Last edited by karl(east) on Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich Clarke

Post by Rich Clarke »

Edina's second line was out tonight--Koumontzis and Crosby, who have 30 points (13 goals) in the first seven games. Koumontzis took a bad hit late in the EP game Saturday so that was somewhat expected, but I have no idea about Crosby. Hopefully they are back after Christmas for the Schwan.

Either way, Edina overcame a 1-0 deficit and won 5-2. Cretin is a nice team, but also got to play a third of the game against Edina's fourth line, who stepped up and played along with the first and fourth.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Cretin had no problem with Edina's speed. Opened up a 1-0 and had a breakaway that could have made it 2-0. 1-1 at the break after Edina got on the board.

A turning point is when Brinkman was frustrated after being whistled for a trip. He whipped a puck along the boards that turned the corner and traveled all 200 feet to the other end. The officials did not tack on an additional 2 for unsportsmanlike.

Edina kills the minor and then scored two to go up 3-1. I think it would have been different if the Hornets had to kill another minor.

I don't think anyone will be able to keep Edina from scoring, but a game with a hot goaltender and some good fortune and anybody is beatable. Cretin should come away feeling very good about the 5-2 result.
Be kind. Rewind.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

elliott70 wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:
Believe me the O'Clown knows when something is up.
Pay attention to this game.
Final score Wayzata 4, Buffalo 0. Shots 36 to 7 in favor of the Trojans. I think it’s safe to say that buffalo had trouble generating offense! :D ( and I root for Buffalo since my parents live there now.)
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

I read the Star/Tribune's HS preview that profiled Buffalo and then saw their first few scores. Seems like we're in agreement they're at least a year away. Which means Buffalo gets to grapple with the challenge all upstart programs feel in finding a way to keep all their top players.

My skepticism came from when they said the Buffalo Bantams were about .500 last season. All that said, Wayzata is playing very well right now.
Be kind. Rewind.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Rich Clarke, did you hear explanation why Curt Giles absent tonight?
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

WestMetro wrote:Rich Clarke, did you hear explanation why Curt Giles absent tonight?
Sometimes you just don't feel like going.
Be kind. Rewind.
Rich Clarke

Post by Rich Clarke »

I didn't notice Giles not being there. Not sure what is up, but they won a big game shorthanded against a very good team.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Poor Jefferson. My how the mighty have fallen.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Slap Shot wrote:Poor Jefferson. My how the mighty have fallen.
I used to hate Jefferson and Kennedy with a passion during the single class days, since they dominated Section 5 and one of them took us out of the playoffs nearly every single year. Now it just feels depressing seeing both Bloomington teams struggling this badly.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Turns out Giles was sick

They are going to have to start putting both D and F by Brinkmans name on the lineup card

Matt Gleason is one of the quickest players in the state, especially when it comes to footwork and stickwork in tight spaces in front of the net or on the boards. Relentless player on both ends. And he has eyes in the back of his head.
LASERBLUE135

Post by LASERBLUE135 »

Stang5280 wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:Poor Jefferson. My how the mighty have fallen.
I used to hate Jefferson and Kennedy with a passion during the single class days, since they dominated Section 5 and one of them took us out of the playoffs nearly every single year. Now it just feels depressing seeing both Bloomington teams struggling this badly.
It does hurt! Richfield can't even field a team and Bloomington, with its enormous population, can't generate a reasonable squad. You'd figure they would, at least, put up a fight with Edina and E.P. right there on the boarder.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

WestMetro wrote:Matt Gleason is one of the quickest players in the state, especially when it comes to footwork and stickwork in tight spaces in front of the net or on the boards. Relentless player on both ends. And he has eyes in the back of his head.
Any relation to Joe Gleason who played for UND a few years back?