2017 Edina Holiday Classic

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

boblee

Post by boblee »

Stang5280 wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:Blake would have helped but I don't think this game would be much different. This Edina team would have been a problem for last years Injun team in my opinion.
I know I’m going to catch flack for being the PC police, but can we please stop with the use of this term on the board? “Injun” has long been considered to be a pejorative pronunciation or spelling of Indian. I know many of the long time Rapids fans will never be fond of the name change, but there is no reason to sling around an antiquated slang term.
Injun = late 17th century alteration of "Indian"

This is a chat forum. Those who are from the Indian days calling the team the Indians for fun doesn't matter. If publications like the local paper or news or LPH where pronouncing them the Injuns, then different story.

You and your 54 posts can go elsewhere if you have a problem with it :D
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Pejorative is a pretty good word. It sounds important and when used we can guess its meaning by the context, but most of us have never used it perhaps never heard it.

But I applaud Stang for trying to keep us old, not yet dead, bored members in line. And Fred for keeping our sense of humor. And grindian for the error of his ways, he is forgiven. After all he is an old 'indian'; pretty old actually. He does have his AARP card I believe.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Great game between Elk and EP, especially since I was the only one out of our group of 6 who picked the Elks.

Couldnt stay for the 2nd game last night.

But agree with Warm Ups comments about Edina. Top two lines are among top 5 in state. I also think top two D pair are among top 5 in state. And goalie is among top 10 if not top 5. Add it all up- Edina should be favored in every game this year, and only a couple/three teams have a chance at an upset during regular season.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Stang5280 wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:Blake would have helped but I don't think this game would be much different. This Edina team would have been a problem for last years Injun team in my opinion.
I know I’m going to catch flack for being the PC police, but can we please stop with the use of this term on the board? “Injun” has long been considered to be a pejorative pronunciation or spelling of Indian. I know many of the long time Rapids fans will never be fond of the name change, but there is no reason to sling around an antiquated slang term.
You are correct. I should not be using words like that. Old habits die slowly. No excuses though, it would be best if I stopped using those.

I do apologize to anyone I offended.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:You are correct. I should not be using words like that. Old habits die slowly. No excuses though, it would be best if I stopped using those.

Thank you for that acknowledgment, it is a nice gesture and very much appreciated. And I am sorry if it felt like I was being judgmental of you as a person. To be clear, I have no problem with people calling the team Indians, and totally understand why locals and alumni would be attached to the nickname. I’ll leave it at that and apologize for derailing the thread enough already.

And returning to hockey subjects…
WarmUpTheBus wrote:We will know more about GR tonight. It was a massacre yesterday but it could be that this is an exceptionally special Edina team. I can't remember a time when they had this solid of a set defensemen. They have been deep up front for the last few years but this year their top 2 lines may be among the top 5 in the state.
Unfortunately I don’t think that was a total aberration for Rapids. The BSM game was very similar in game flow and shot totals. And I think GR is going to have similar struggles against every high-level AA opponent it faces unless something starts clicking.
Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint »

Stang5280 wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:You are correct. I should not be using words like that. Old habits die slowly. No excuses though, it would be best if I stopped using those.

Thank you for that acknowledgment, it is a nice gesture and very much appreciated. And I am sorry if it felt like I was being judgmental of you as a person. To be clear, I have no problem with people calling the team Indians, and totally understand why locals and alumni would be attached to the nickname. I’ll leave it at that and apologize for derailing the thread enough already.

And returning to hockey subjects…
WarmUpTheBus wrote:We will know more about GR tonight. It was a massacre yesterday but it could be that this is an exceptionally special Edina team. I can't remember a time when they had this solid of a set defensemen. They have been deep up front for the last few years but this year their top 2 lines may be among the top 5 in the state.
Unfortunately I don’t think that was a total aberration for Rapids. The BSM game was very similar in game flow and shot totals. And I think GR is going to have similar struggles against every high-level AA opponent it faces unless something starts clicking.
The biggest question of all though is do they have enough talent to make a click? Between their top people leaving, the people left who are either not top talent or young so need to learn and a coaching crew that is just getting going this might be a really long year for them.
grindiangrad-80

6-0 Eden Prairie tonight. Hang in there fellas. If it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger. See you tomorrow night.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Elks shooting at a very high % in the 1st period 2 goals on 4 shots but Edina is lethal. Good to see the ham and eggers hanging with cake. 3-2 cake late in the 1st.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Edina has given up several odd man rushes to the Elks but their offensive prowess is impressive. Esperum has played well in net for ER but had no chance on most of the goals. 4-2 cake after 1.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

alcloseshaver wrote:Elks shooting at a very high % in the 1st period 2 goals on 4 shots but Edina is lethal. Good to see the ham and eggers hanging with cake. 3-2 cake late in the 1st.
4-2 Edina after one period, ER gets a late PP opportunity 1:51 will carry over. Edina as fast a team as I’ve seen in transition... in a LONG, LONG TIME! Edina was a bit sloppy in their D zone, or this could would be 4-0 after one period.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

hockey59 wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:Elks shooting at a very high % in the 1st period 2 goals on 4 shots but Edina is lethal. Good to see the ham and eggers hanging with cake. 3-2 cake late in the 1st.
4-2 Edina after one period, ER gets a late PP opportunity 1:51 will carry over. Edina as fast a team as I’ve seen in transition... in a LONG, LONG TIME! Edina was a bit sloppy in their D zone, or this could would be 4-0 after one period.
Could also be 4-3 or 4-4, agree Edina sloppy but like last night Elks were opportunistic.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Tied 4-4 1 minute into 2nd period...ER came to play tonight
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

hockey59 wrote:Tied 4-4 1 minute into 2nd period...ER came to play tonight
Like I said
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

ER playing significantly better than they did against CENTENNIAL
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Great shooting %, thought Giles would light them after 1st period.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

hockey59 wrote:ER playing significantly better than they did against CENTENNIAL
you are correct
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Brinkman is an absolute (skilled) BEAST!
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Sammy Walker just seconds after
PP for Edina expires 5-4 Hornets
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Elks tie it 5-5 on a weak goal, I’d change goalies if I was Giles, 5 goals allowed on 11 shots :roll:
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

9-5’Edina after 2 periods...just relentless pressure Edina putting on ER, shots 29 -12 shots edge for Edina...this team comes at you in GREEN WAVES. Walker with 4 goals so far...
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Elks might give up more goals than Rapids did last night, 9-5 after 2.
grindiangrad-80

This has been some very good hockey tonight.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

10-6 :shock:
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

8 minutes to go, ER gets one, now 10-6 EDINA. Jack Perbix having a great game tonight for ER.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

10-7