Joey Pierce

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

sherwood

Joey Pierce

Post by sherwood »

Does anyone know why he is not on Hermantown Hawks roster? I thought he was a shoe in to make varsity as a freshman
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

I don't recall any bantam eligible player ever being moved up to varsity in Hermantown.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Hermantown has never allowed Freshmen to try out for Varsity. Their Bantam team is now top 10 in AA. Pierce and the Antcliff kid from Proctor are their top two players.
hshockeyfan53

Post by hshockeyfan53 »

Jeffy95 wrote:Hermantown has never allowed Freshmen to try out for Varsity. Their Bantam team is now top 10 in AA. Pierce and the Antcliff kid from Proctor are their top two players.
Not true. Both Drew and Brian Leblanc played varsity as freshmen as well as Jared Kolquist.
hshockeyfan53

Re: Joey Pierce

Post by hshockeyfan53 »

sherwood wrote:Does anyone know why he is not on Hermantown Hawks roster? I thought he was a shoe in to make varsity as a freshman
The rumor is that his parents wanted him to play another year of Bantams. More ice time maybe? Bigger role?
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

hshockeyfan53 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:Hermantown has never allowed Freshmen to try out for Varsity. Their Bantam team is now top 10 in AA. Pierce and the Antcliff kid from Proctor are their top two players.
Not true. Both Drew and Brian Leblanc played varsity as freshmen as well as Jared Kolquist.
We're they bantam-eligible as freshmen?
hshockeyfan53

Post by hshockeyfan53 »

rainier2 wrote:
hshockeyfan53 wrote:
We're they bantam-eligible as freshmen?
Sorry, I'm not sure. That could be the reason though.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

hshockeyfan53 wrote:
Thanks for the correction, that was before I moved back to the area. I remember when LeBlanc was the head coach in Proctor back in the 90's before going to Hermantown.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

hshockeyfan53 wrote:
Brian and Jared were freshman but both played 2 years of Bantams not 1. They were older. I think Drew did also. So yes they were freshmen, but were done with youth hockey.True Hockey parents.
BP

Post by BP »

I thought all Hermantown kids were born and raised from Htown? Sorry - had to....
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

Drew was older, too, to confirm the post below.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

BP wrote:
I thought all Hermantown kids were born and raised from Htown? Sorry - had to....
LOL, nope not quite. No team has relied more on transfers than Hermantown in the last 10 years. They couldn't have won the last two titles without them. Their Career leader in scoring was an open-enrollee from Proctor, (Skrbich) Top player on their High School team the last two years were open-enrollees. (Aamodt and Samberg) Judnick, Gotz and Pietrusa were also very key players on those teams. Best two players this year are transfers. (Watkins and younger Gotz) Top two Bantams are transfers from Ely and Proctor. Top three Squirts this year are transfers. PeeWee is the only exception with the Plante boys, but that group is loaded with transfers after them, more than any other level. So many kids have transferred in to that group that they have 63 PeeWees this year. Some of them will get cut and never play High School Hockey. But Parents can't resist the Automatic Berth in the State Tourney. Youth Hockey has become a crazy beast....
kniven

Post by kniven »

Amazing! I’ve always known Hermantown has a lot of transfers. But when yo spell it out it’s pretty crazy. Proctor would have had some really good high school teams the last 10 years.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Saw Joey several times this August and Sept and was really impressed.

No doubt in my mind he could have been on top 2 D pair on most AA high school teams in the state this year, in many cases on the top pair

Only those closest to him know what is best for his ultimate development

Look for him to be dominant for Htown varsity D for three years starting next, probably will ultimately be as good as Samberg and Aamodt
Duluth_Topper

Post by Duluth_Topper »

Lund and Blomdahl on the Bantam AA are also both very good. Lund transferred in from Hayward and Blomdahl lives in Duluth.
Duluth_Topper

Post by Duluth_Topper »

And the Pee Wees aren’t an exception. Hanson, Gunderson, and Vieau are all open enrolls on the PW AA. Gunderson did move after starting in Proctor.

Sundbom on the A team open enrolled from Proctor and may have been on the AA team, but Hermantown has a rule for new open enrolled vs. actually moving in.

The B blue team has the Dainelson twins that came from Proctor last year.

And the Bantam B’a have a goalie that left Proctor 2 years ago.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Wow! Impressive on how really good hockey players from everywhere flock to Hermantown. I was talking to a dad of a squirtA player born in Hermantown. And that he probably won’t play past squirts because he’s being squeezed out by incoming talent.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Duluth_Topper wrote:And the Pee Wees aren’t an exception. Hanson, Gunderson, and Vieau are all open enrolls on the PW AA. Gunderson did move after starting in Proctor.

Sundbom on the A team open enrolled from Proctor and may have been on the AA team, but Hermantown has a rule for new open enrolled vs. actually moving in.

The transfer rule is a Minnesota hockey rule, not just Hermantown.
Duluth_Topper

Post by Duluth_Topper »

What I was referring to is I heard Hermantown has a policy for open enrolled kids that don’t actually move into the district that even with a waiver from the previous association they won’t let them play at the highest level. But in Pierce’s case they moved to Hermantown so it doesn’t apply.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Duluth_Topper wrote:What I was referring to is I heard Hermantown has a policy for open enrolled kids that don’t actually move into the district that even with a waiver from the previous association they won’t let them play at the highest level. But in Pierce’s case they moved to Hermantown so it doesn’t apply.
That's MH rule. Does not apply to 9th graders. Of course family move does not apply.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Duluth_Topper wrote:And the Pee Wees aren’t an exception. Hanson, Gunderson, and Vieau are all open enrolls on the PW AA. Gunderson did move after starting in Proctor.

I meant that the PeeWees were an exception in that their top 2 players actually live there, but Hanson is close and I am aware of all of the open-enrollees on the PeeWee AA and A teams. I didn't realize Lund and Blomdahl were also open-enrollees on the Bantam AA, they are both Elite players. Unbelievable! Those kids you mentioned on the A and B teams careers are most likely over after 9th grade.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

The outside draw of an automatic state tournament, even if only class A, is pretty shocking..
kniven

Post by kniven »

MrBoDangles wrote:The outside draw of an automatic state tournament, even if only class A, is pretty shocking..
Agreed. But it’s the culture we live in. NBA players are hoarding now an never used to.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

kniven wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:The outside draw of an automatic state tournament, even if only class A, is pretty shocking..
Agreed. But it’s the culture we live in. NBA players are hoarding now an never used to.
That's true, but the NBA teams aren't doing it and then playing down in the NBA D League. That would be the equivalent here.
boblee

Post by boblee »

Their head coach came out and said players with remaining eligibility play Bantams. That's their philosophy.