Iron Range Hockey

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

backrinkrat
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:08 am

Iron Range Hockey

Post by backrinkrat » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:35 pm

The Greenway Raiders host the Virginia Blue Devils
Two good teams that know each other well. I am going to give the
Visiting team the edge in this contest.
Devils 5
Raiders 3

kniven
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Re: Iron Range Hockey

Post by kniven » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:54 pm

backrinkrat wrote:The Greenway Raiders host the Virginia Blue Devils
Two good teams that know each other well. I am going to give the
Visiting team the edge in this contest.
Devils 5
Raiders 3
This will be a good game. CEC has the blue devils this year in their place. I’ve always liked their arena.

greenwayraider
Posts: 740
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:54 am
Location: Bovey

Post by greenwayraider » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:45 pm

It will be interesting to see how Greenway plays tomorrow night after their win over Rapids. Will there be that same intensity or a letdown.

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 6956
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:28 pm

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:58 pm

greenwayraider wrote:It will be interesting to see how Greenway plays tomorrow night after their win over Rapids. Will there be that same intensity or a letdown.
I don't follow Iron Range hockey as much as most everyone else here, and maybe my memory is failing me again, but wasn't it Greenway that scuttled its hockey program just a few years ago, for lack of numbers? The same program that just beat the defending Class AA state champions, rather easily at that? I'm aware that Grand Rapids lost quite a bit to graduation, plus a few more that left early, but given Greenway's recent history wouldn't their big win over the defending state champs (not to mention a huge rival) be an all-time first?

So to answer greenwayraider's question, I guess you couldn't blame the players if they don't come out with that same level of intensity, and not be too surprised if they do have a little bit of a letdown.

north_bear
Posts: 544
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:25 pm
Location: G.R.

Post by north_bear » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:39 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
greenwayraider wrote:It will be interesting to see how Greenway plays tomorrow night after their win over Rapids. Will there be that same intensity or a letdown.
I don't follow Iron Range hockey as much as most everyone else here, and maybe my memory is failing me again, but wasn't it Greenway that scuttled its hockey program just a few years ago, for lack of numbers? The same program that just beat the defending Class AA state champions, rather easily at that? I'm aware that Grand Rapids lost quite a bit to graduation, plus a few more that left early, but given Greenway's recent history wouldn't their big win over the defending state champs (not to mention a huge rival) be an all-time first?

So to answer greenwayraider's question, I guess you couldn't blame the players if they don't come out with that same level of intensity, and not be too surprised if they do have a little bit of a letdown.
An all time first for Greenway winning? Oh no. Their last win was in 2004. But last year was the first time they've played since 2008? The program was really struggling then and enrollment was so low they could barely field a team. They quit playing Rapids because the games would get so out of hand. But in the early 2000's and earlier it was a fierce rivalry with Greenway having one of the best teams in the state. Each team has had there stretches of dominance when a good crop of kids would come through.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

rainier2
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Post by rainier2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:22 am

MNHockeyFan wrote:
greenwayraider wrote:It will be interesting to see how Greenway plays tomorrow night after their win over Rapids. Will there be that same intensity or a letdown.
I don't follow Iron Range hockey as much as most everyone else here, and maybe my memory is failing me again, but wasn't it Greenway that scuttled its hockey program just a few years ago, for lack of numbers? The same program that just beat the defending Class AA state champions, rather easily at that? I'm aware that Grand Rapids lost quite a bit to graduation, plus a few more that left early, but given Greenway's recent history wouldn't their big win over the defending state champs (not to mention a huge rival) be an all-time first?

So to answer greenwayraider's question, I guess you couldn't blame the players if they don't come out with that same level of intensity, and not be too surprised if they do have a little bit of a letdown.
This is what is really neat about the Raiders' victory. A Class A team that almost shut its program down not too long ago just defeated the defending AA champions. No matter the circumstances, its quite a feat.

TheHockeyDJ
Posts: 2245
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:41 am
Location: Orange County, California
Contact:

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:12 am

rainier2 wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
greenwayraider wrote:It will be interesting to see how Greenway plays tomorrow night after their win over Rapids. Will there be that same intensity or a letdown.
I don't follow Iron Range hockey as much as most everyone else here, and maybe my memory is failing me again, but wasn't it Greenway that scuttled its hockey program just a few years ago, for lack of numbers? The same program that just beat the defending Class AA state champions, rather easily at that? I'm aware that Grand Rapids lost quite a bit to graduation, plus a few more that left early, but given Greenway's recent history wouldn't their big win over the defending state champs (not to mention a huge rival) be an all-time first?

So to answer greenwayraider's question, I guess you couldn't blame the players if they don't come out with that same level of intensity, and not be too surprised if they do have a little bit of a letdown.
This is what is really neat about the Raiders' victory. A Class A team that almost shut its program down not too long ago just defeated the defending AA champions. No matter the circumstances, its quite a feat.
Technically "defending class aa champions". Though this is quite different from when Edina or Eden Prairie wins a title and reloads the next season. It is somewhat of a good "feat" given the aforementioned circumstances for Greenway. But missing 4 players and being without Hain and McLaughlin certainly takes something away from "defending class aa champions". At any rate, I hope that Grant Clafton can keep the Raiders progressing and who knows, maybe get Greenway back to where they could even consider being back in 7AA.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

ironranger2
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Post by ironranger2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:34 am

I guess we will see how it turns out, but I think a lot of people on this board are underestimating Virginia. Their top line of forwards is as good as any in the area and they have substantially more depth than Greenway does.

Virginia will be highly motivated to show the are the top contender to knock off Hermantown in 7A and I also see a letdown for Greenway after their game on Tuesday. I am going with Virginia 5-2.

rainier2
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Post by rainier2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:22 pm

ironranger2 wrote:I guess we will see how it turns out, but I think a lot of people on this board are underestimating Virginia. Their top line of forwards is as good as any in the area and they have substantially more depth than Greenway does.

Virginia will be highly motivated to show the are the top contender to knock off Hermantown in 7A and I also see a letdown for Greenway after their game on Tuesday. I am going with Virginia 5-2.
Agreed. Virginia was very young and played without their two best players most of last season. I still think Greenways best 5 are better than Virginia's best 5, but as you said, the Blue Devils have more depth.

This being the case, I think Virginia's best strategy is to avoid the penalty box. Should be a great game!

ironranger2
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Post by ironranger2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:41 pm

Funny you should mention staying out of the penalty. I was at the game on Saturday and Seitz had a 5 minute major and I think Moreland had a game misconduct at the end of the game.

I can't remember if it was in the Virginia paper or Duluth paper where Coach Larson emphasized something to the effect that he wanted his team to be playing on the edge with their physicality. That might work against the less experienced and/or younger teams in the Section like the Falls, Hibbing, or Eveleth. I just don't know if that is the route you can go playing Greenway or Hermantown.

Not sure if I completely agree that the greenway top 5 are better than the Virginia top 5. Seitz is something to watch when he is on his game. He makes everyone that much better when he is out there.

Mite-dad
Posts: 1110
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:16 am

Post by Mite-dad » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:39 pm

Yeah Seitz needs to keep his cool. Every time he was checked on Saturday he retaliated in some way. The 5 min was a two handed well aimed slash to the arms of a LF player right in front of the ref.

greenwayraider
Posts: 740
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:54 am
Location: Bovey

Post by greenwayraider » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:35 pm

There’s no doubt that Seitz is a difference maker. I think Virginia’s experience will be a big factor too. However, I will be surprised if Virginia puts in five goals past the Greenway goalie. I also agree that Virginia doesn’t receive the recognition they deserve. This could be the year that Rapids loses to two Iron Range schools. I don’t think that has happened in decades.
Last edited by greenwayraider on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ironranger2
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Post by ironranger2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:35 pm

Couple of guys I work with have kids in the Virginia program and were complaining how Greenway "covneniently" got a Finnish exchange student goalie. I had to remind them it was only a two years ago that Virginia "conveniently" had a Finnish exchange student goalie during one of their very weak years in the net. :P

ndirishfighting
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 12:34 pm
Location: MN

Post by ndirishfighting » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:47 pm

Greenway 8 Virginia 2 from what I hear? The Finn was pretty solid again also?
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!

rainier2
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Post by rainier2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:58 pm

ndirishfighting wrote:Greenway 8 Virginia 2 from what I hear? The Finn was pretty solid again also?
If The Hub is accurate, the score was 8-2, with Greenway outshooting Virginia 45-17. :shock:

Of course 35 minutes of penalties isn't going to help Virginia beat anyone.

Greenway now with convincing victories over GR and Virginia, and they still don't even have Jenson back yet. Gonna be very interesting to see their upcoming stretch against EGF, Mahtomedi, SC Cathedral, Alexandria, and Delano. Plenty of chances to climb the A rankings.

Eveleth beat Hibbing handily 5-1. First time the Bears have beaten Hibbing since 2005.

karl(east)
Posts: 6246
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:03 pm
Contact:

Post by karl(east) » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:05 pm

Not surprised to see Greenway win after watching them on Tuesday, but that's a gaudy scoreline. 5 goals for Lawson, and while I'm guessing Virginia's parade to the box helped the Raiders' shot count, I think that's also reflective of their lower lines' puck control, even if they're not doing heaps of scoring. Very curious to see how this team does against some top-flight Class A competition in the coming weeks.

ironranger2
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Post by ironranger2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:20 pm

Congrats to Greenway. Definitely impressed with the coaching staff to get those kids ready after the big game they had Tuesday. I really want to see someone take down Hermantown this year. Greenway, Virginia, or any other Section 7 team.

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2649
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:14 am

rainier2 wrote:
ndirishfighting wrote:Greenway 8 Virginia 2 from what I hear? The Finn was pretty solid again also?
If The Hub is accurate, the score was 8-2, with Greenway outshooting Virginia 45-17. :shock:

Of course 35 minutes of penalties isn't going to help Virginia beat anyone.

Greenway now with convincing victories over GR and Virginia, and they still don't even have Jenson back yet. Gonna be very interesting to see their upcoming stretch against EGF, Mahtomedi, SC Cathedral, Alexandria, and Delano. Plenty of chances to climb the A rankings.

Eveleth beat Hibbing handily 5-1. First time the Bears have beaten Hibbing since 2005.
rainier2, Good to see Greenway beefed up the schedule of games this season. How was the crowd for the Virginia game?

rainier2
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Post by rainier2 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:49 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
rainier2 wrote:
ndirishfighting wrote:Greenway 8 Virginia 2 from what I hear? The Finn was pretty solid again also?
If The Hub is accurate, the score was 8-2, with Greenway outshooting Virginia 45-17. :shock:

Of course 35 minutes of penalties isn't going to help Virginia beat anyone.

Greenway now with convincing victories over GR and Virginia, and they still don't even have Jenson back yet. Gonna be very interesting to see their upcoming stretch against EGF, Mahtomedi, SC Cathedral, Alexandria, and Delano. Plenty of chances to climb the A rankings.

Eveleth beat Hibbing handily 5-1. First time the Bears have beaten Hibbing since 2005.
rainier2, Good to see Greenway beefed up the schedule of games this season. How was the crowd for the Virginia game?
I wasn't at the game, but I have to think it was a good crowd. I would think all Greenway home games should be rocking at this point; there's a lot of reason for optimism.

It's early in his tenure, but it's hard to not be impressed with the job Clafton has done thus far. They way the Raiders came out flying against Hermantown in the 7A final last year was impressive, despite losing the game. I'm jealous, as Hibbing could have had him but the AD instead made the worst hire in the history of HS hockey. (I'm talking about the previous coach, not Tomberlin.)

I imagine the Greenway-Virginia rematch will be closer, provided Virginia figures out how to stay out of the box.

Nice win for Eveleth. They certainly are an improved team with a nice group of younger players.

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2649
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:49 am

rainier2 wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:
rainier2 wrote:
ndirishfighting wrote:Greenway 8 Virginia 2 from what I hear? The Finn was pretty solid again also?
If The Hub is accurate, the score was 8-2, with Greenway outshooting Virginia 45-17. :shock:

Of course 35 minutes of penalties isn't going to help Virginia beat anyone.

Greenway now with convincing victories over GR and Virginia, and they still don't even have Jenson back yet. Gonna be very interesting to see their upcoming stretch against EGF, Mahtomedi, SC Cathedral, Alexandria, and Delano. Plenty of chances to climb the A rankings.

Eveleth beat Hibbing handily 5-1. First time the Bears have beaten Hibbing since 2005.
rainier2, Good to see Greenway beefed up the schedule of games this season. How was the crowd for the Virginia game?
I wasn't at the game, but I have to think it was a good crowd. I would think all Greenway home games should be rocking at this point; there's a lot of reason for optimism.

It's early in his tenure, but it's hard to not be impressed with the job Clafton has done thus far. They way the Raiders came out flying against Hermantown in the 7A final last year was impressive, despite losing the game. I'm jealous, as Hibbing could have had him but the AD instead made the worst hire in the history of HS hockey. (I'm talking about the previous coach, not Tomberlin.)

I imagine the Greenway-Virginia rematch will be closer, provided Virginia figures out how to stay out of the box.

Nice win for Eveleth. They certainly are an improved team with a nice group of younger players.
Resurgence of a couple of very historic programs. This is really good for hockey. It's also nice for the programs to get recognition from Karl on games (both presser write ups and commutes to games) as that type of notoriety fuels further interest statewide. Thanks Karl!
Hibbing and Rapids loss is a Greenway gain and sure seems to be paying off for the kids. I think some programs have forgotten intent of youth sports.

boblee
Posts: 9146
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:57 pm
Location: Fargo, ND
Contact:

Post by boblee » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:06 pm

Had a lengthy chat last night with former Eveleth standout Ross Richards. We talked about how sad it is that the Iron Range teams have depleted and that the e-commerce and population shifts have entirely changed the landscape of hockey. Consider this:

Eveleth used to play the same teams as Grand Rapids. Now, Eveleth plays teams like Bagley while Rapids plays teams like Edina.
Hibbing & Chisholm has combined. Eveleth and Gilbert have combined. We now have Virginia/Mt. Iron/Buhl. International Falls is rarely relevant.

Jeffy95
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:46 pm

boblee wrote:Had a lengthy chat last night with former Eveleth standout Ross Richards. We talked about how sad it is that the Iron Range teams have depleted and that the e-commerce and population shifts have entirely changed the landscape of hockey. Consider this:

Eveleth used to play the same teams as Grand Rapids. Now, Eveleth plays teams like Bagley while Rapids plays teams like Edina.
Hibbing & Chisholm has combined. Eveleth and Gilbert have combined. We now have Virginia/Mt. Iron/Buhl. International Falls is rarely relevant.
Eveleth is also combined with Aurora/Hoyt Lakes, who had their own High School team at one time. I believe Babbit/Embarrass did as well? I think if/when Section 7A gets back to all Single A programs we could start to see Iron Range hockey come back. It would be great to see.

greenwayraider
Posts: 740
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:54 am
Location: Bovey

Post by greenwayraider » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:22 pm

The IRC included Greenway, Grand Rapids, Hibbing, Chisholm, Virginia, Eveleth, Gilbert, Aurora-Hoyt Lakes, Babbitt, Ely and International Falls. Aurora-Hoyt Lakes had a couple of very good teams in the 70s led by Matt Christensen and a kid named Lasko. They made it to the Region final where they lost to Rapids 6-1. They beat Greenway in the semis.

elliott70
Posts: 13628
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:37 pm

greenwayraider wrote:The IRC included Greenway, Grand Rapids, Hibbing, Chisholm, Virginia, Eveleth, Gilbert, Aurora-Hoyt Lakes, Babbitt, Ely and International Falls. Aurora-Hoyt Lakes had a couple of very good teams in the 70s led by Matt Christensen and a kid named Lasko. They made it to the Region final where they lost to Rapids 6-1. They beat Greenway in the semis.
Matt graduated in 1982 and went on to a great career with the Bulldogs until suffering a stroke his senior year in college. He lives in Aurora and leads a productive life.

greenwayraider
Posts: 740
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:54 am
Location: Bovey

Post by greenwayraider » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:56 pm

Thanks for the correction. My memory is starting to fail like the rest of my body. :)

Post Reply