season starts Monday - preseason's top 10

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70
Posts: 13628
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:54 am

Follow the Puck preseason top 20

1. Duluth East Greyhounds - 0-0-0
2. Edina Hornets - 0-0-0
3. Moorhead Spuds - 0-0-0
4. St. Thomas Academy Cadets - 0-0-0
5. Minnetonka Skippers - 0-0-0
6. Holy Family Catholic Fire - 0-0-0
7. Centennial Cougars - 0-0-0

8. Wayzata Trojans - 0-0-0
9. Cretin-Derham Hall Raiders - 0-0-0
10. White Bear Lake Bears - 0-0-0
11. Hill-Murray Pioneers - 0-0-0
12. Cloquet/Esko/Carlton Lumberjacks - 0-0-0
13. Eden Prairie Eagles - 0-0-0
14. Grand Rapids Thunderhawks - 0-0-0
15. Elk River Elks - 0-0-0
16. St. Michael-Albertville Knights - 0-0-0
17. Duluth Marshall Hilltoppers - 0-0-0
18. Andover Huskies - 0-0-0
19. Brainerd Warriors - 0-0-0
20. Stillwater Ponies -

elliott70
Posts: 13628
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:55 am

FTP
single a

1. Orono Spartans - 0-0-0
2. St. Cloud Cathedral Crusaders - 0-0-0
3. East Grand Forks Green Wave - 0-0-0
4. Alexandria Cardinals - 0-0-0
5. Greenway Raiders - 0-0-0
6. Hermantown Hawks - 0-0-0
7. Mahtomedi Zephyrs - 0-0-0
8. Luverne Cardinals - 0-0-0
9. Breck School Mustangs - 0-0-0
10. Sartell-St. Stephen Sabres - 0-0-0
11. Warroad Warriors - 0-0-0
12. Northfield Raiders - 0-0-0
13. Albert Lea Tigers - 0-0-0
14. St. Paul Academy Spartans - 0-0-0
15. Virginia/Mountain-Iron Buhl Blue Devils - 0-0-0
16. St. Paul Johnson Governors - 0-0-0
17. Rochester Lourdes Eagles - 0-0-0
18. Little Falls Flyers - 0-0-0
19. North Branch Vikings - 0-0-0
20. Monticello Moose

Conrad
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:40 am

Post by Conrad » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:05 pm

goldy313 wrote:STA has to win a big game in AA before I believe in them.

Agree! STA was favored in each the past 3 years but clearly got out-coached by far less talented teams at State in 2015, Section finals in 2016 and again at State in 2017. Heavily recruited Soph class should step up now as JRs. this year along with some SR. talent but the ruling is still out whether the Vanellis can actually win at the AA level.

Anderson appears to have received the call up to USHL and played at Green Bay this past weekend. Would like to see him back at Wayzata for his SR. year rather than floating around between leagues.

greenwayraider
Posts: 740
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:54 am
Location: Bovey

Post by greenwayraider » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:48 pm

It makes one wonder if STA realizes they are playing in AA. You have to be ready every night, you can’t coast until the finals like they could in A. In both of their first round losses at state their play in their defensive end was beyond bad.

kniven
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Post by kniven » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:57 pm

greenwayraider wrote:It makes one wonder if STA realizes they are playing in AA. You have to be ready every night, you can’t coast until the finals like they could in A. In both of their first round losses at state their play in their defensive end was beyond bad.
i wonder if hermantown would have the same problem.

GoldenBear
Posts: 689
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:38 am

Post by GoldenBear » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:05 pm

Anderson appears to have received the call up to USHL and played at Green Bay this past weekend. Would like to see him back at Wayzata for his SR. year rather than floating around between leagues.

Thanks Conrad, didn't see that. Agree would like him back at Wayzata but with a call up to USHL, I'm pretty sure he is not coming back to HS. I wish him best this season regardless. GB

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 6956
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:28 pm

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:57 pm

kniven wrote:Hermantown has been ranked # 1 since 2006-2007. It must be a record for consecutive weeks ranked #1 in any sport.
Pretty sure Edina girls tennis holds that distinction.

chester1991
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:41 pm

Pre season Top 10

Post by chester1991 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:01 am

1) Edina

2) Moorhead

3) Duluth East

4) Holy Family

5) Minnetonka

6) St Thomas

7) Wayzata

8) Centennial

9) White Bear Lake

10) Maple Grove

Slap Shot
Posts: 796
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:44 pm

Re: season starts Monday - preseason's top 10

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:15 pm

elliott70 wrote: Double AA
1. Duluth East
2. Moorhead
3. Edina
4. Wayzata
5. Eden Prairie
6. Holy Family
7. Hill MUrray
8. Maple Grove
9. Elk River
10. St Thomas
Hmmm.

elliott70
Posts: 13628
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:35 pm

1. Edina
2. Duluth East
3. Moorhead
4. St. Thomas Academy
5. Minnetonka
6. Eden Prairie
7. Centennial
8. Holy Family
9. Hill-Murray
10. White Bear Lake

karl(east)
Posts: 6246
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:03 pm
Contact:

Post by karl(east) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:36 pm

elliott70 wrote:1. Edina
2. Duluth East
3. Moorhead
4. St. Thomas Academy
5. Minnetonka
6. Eden Prairie
7. Centennial
8. Holy Family
9. Hill-Murray
10. White Bear Lake
Real creative top ten you have there. :wink:

elliott70
Posts: 13628
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:14 am

karl(east) wrote:
elliott70 wrote:1. Edina
2. Duluth East
3. Moorhead
4. St. Thomas Academy
5. Minnetonka
6. Eden Prairie
7. Centennial
8. Holy Family
9. Hill-Murray
10. White Bear Lake
Real creative top ten you have there. :wink:
Yes, my first go around was a shot in the dark.
I did a bit more research and revamped my pre-season rankings.

GPGT
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:24 pm

Post by GPGT » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:04 pm

Not that I'm complaining. ( As I'm a Duluth east grad ) but why is east ranked so high this season? Any big new talent coming in, or just based off a strong young team from last year? I remember ( as usual ) a solid team and great players , but no superstar standouts.

kniven
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Post by kniven » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:04 pm

GPGT wrote:Not that I'm complaining. ( As I'm a Duluth east grad ) but why is east ranked so high this season? Any big new talent coming in, or just based off a strong young team from last year? I remember ( as usual ) a solid team and great players , but no superstar standouts.
Donovan, LeMaster, and Worh are very special players 4 sure surrounded by very good role players.....and a superb head Coach in Randolph.

Jeffy95
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Post by Jeffy95 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:17 am

kniven wrote:
GPGT wrote:Not that I'm complaining. ( As I'm a Duluth east grad ) but why is east ranked so high this season? Any big new talent coming in, or just based off a strong young team from last year? I remember ( as usual ) a solid team and great players , but no superstar standouts.
Donovan, LeMaster, and Worh are very special players 4 sure surrounded by very good role players.....and a superb head Coach in Randolph.
You forgot Mageau and all of the other studs. East is loaded this year. The only question is when Randolph decides to "Release the Hounds!"

ilovemesomehockey
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:06 am

Post by ilovemesomehockey » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:54 am

Not that scrimmages mean much but I heard Mahtomedi tied HT and dominated Greenway 10-0 yesterday
elliott70 wrote:FTP
single a

1. Orono Spartans - 0-0-0
2. St. Cloud Cathedral Crusaders - 0-0-0
3. East Grand Forks Green Wave - 0-0-0
4. Alexandria Cardinals - 0-0-0
5. Greenway Raiders - 0-0-0
6. Hermantown Hawks - 0-0-0
7. Mahtomedi Zephyrs - 0-0-0
8. Luverne Cardinals - 0-0-0
9. Breck School Mustangs - 0-0-0
10. Sartell-St. Stephen Sabres - 0-0-0
11. Warroad Warriors - 0-0-0
12. Northfield Raiders - 0-0-0
13. Albert Lea Tigers - 0-0-0
14. St. Paul Academy Spartans - 0-0-0
15. Virginia/Mountain-Iron Buhl Blue Devils - 0-0-0
16. St. Paul Johnson Governors - 0-0-0
17. Rochester Lourdes Eagles - 0-0-0
18. Little Falls Flyers - 0-0-0
19. North Branch Vikings - 0-0-0
20. Monticello Moose

ryguyMN
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:08 pm
Location: Western WI

Post by ryguyMN » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:43 pm

After doing some more research and with rosters being released, these are the five teams that have the best chance of winning a Class AA title.

http://www.minnpuck.com/2017/11/2017-18 ... state.html
Ryan

backrinkrat
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:08 am

Post by backrinkrat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:40 pm

You have to be kidding about Hibbing and greenway ahead of Virginia?

greenwayraider
Posts: 740
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:54 am
Location: Bovey

Post by greenwayraider » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:34 pm

Hibbing is going to have a real challenge to get a #4 seed. Lost a ton to graduation and their best player opted to Juniors and their bantam team was not that good. Virginia has the edge on Greenway with their experience and depth. Greenway is young and small. I expect Virginia to edge out Greenway for #2 seed but hopefully come tournament time the young Greenway team will turn the tables.

MrBoDangles
Posts: 4082
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Post by MrBoDangles » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:04 pm

thespellchecker wrote:1. Edina
2. Duluth East
3. Moorhead
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10. STA
There is no 4
#-o

rainier2
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Post by rainier2 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:09 pm

greenwayraider wrote:Hibbing is going to have a real challenge to get a #4 seed. Lost a ton to graduation and their best player opted to Juniors and their bantam team was not that good. Virginia has the edge on Greenway with their experience and depth. Greenway is young and small. I expect Virginia to edge out Greenway for #2 seed but hopefully come tournament time the young Greenway team will turn the tables.
Agreed. I expect both Virginia and Greenway to be top 10 A teams, and after that I'm not sure any other 7A team cracks the top 20. Maybe Eveleth.

WestMetro
Posts: 2930
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:05 pm

Wrong thread , But as long as everyone is talking about Greenway, How will grand rapids , with all the suspensions, do against Greenway at home Tuesday night

kniven
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Post by kniven » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:13 pm

WestMetro wrote:Wrong thread , But as long as everyone is talking about Greenway, How will grand rapids , with all the suspensions, do against Greenway at home Tuesday night
I think Greenway wins this game at home.

Post Reply