3A 2017-2018

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Yuge

Post by Yuge »

GoldyGopher wrote:New Ulm tied @ Northfield Monday night. Not what I would call a statement tie by any means but it's a step in the right direction. 2 games they should win and 2 50/50 games to close out the year remaining. If they can find a way to score some goals and win out the momentum should make sections a little more interesting.
I was really surprised to see New Ulm score 5 against a good Northfield team. I agree that if they can find some consistent scoring they could give Hutch a game in sections.
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

goldy313 wrote:The Wright County Conference is better than a whole lot of other conferences, LDC and Hutch benefit from playing there over where Luverne plays. Luverne does a good job of trying to play a tougher schedule but geography holds them quite a bit.

Redwood Valley has a top player in the state no one knows about in Luke Ryan, I know their depth is lacking but I expected more from them.

I still think Luverne is the team to beat but any of the group of Marshall, LDC, and Hutch could win.......I probably shouldn't discount New Ulm either.
Seems to be a stretch to claim Redwood has a TOP player in the state on their roster, didn't they lose to Fairmont??
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Yuge wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:New Ulm tied @ Northfield Monday night. Not what I would call a statement tie by any means but it's a step in the right direction. 2 games they should win and 2 50/50 games to close out the year remaining. If they can find a way to score some goals and win out the momentum should make sections a little more interesting.
I was really surprised to see New Ulm score 5 against a good Northfield team. I agree that if they can find some consistent scoring they could give Hutch a game in sections.
They really do have solid goaltending. It might not always show at times but when I've seen them play they really hang him out to dry. If they can tighten up a bit in front they could likely give anyone in the section a game.
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

Section Seeds

1 Luverne
2 LDC
3 Marshall
4 Hutch
5 New Ulm
6 Redwood Valley
7 Windom
8 Willmar
9 Fairmont
10 Worthington

No big surprises here. The quarterfinal between Hutch and NU should be good, two solid goalies going at it. Marshall's Plante was seen on crutches after the Luverne game, does anyone have any info on his status?
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

This thread is brutally slow this year. See if I can't get some predictions going.

Give Goldy New Ulm and Luverne in the first game at GAC Saturday, along with Marshall and LDC in the second.

New Ulm meets LDC Wednesday. LDC to state in a close one.

As unlikely as that scenario may be, this section is one where anything can happen and it would not surprise me. 1A is in a similar situation. Will be interesting to see if all the games can get played on their scheduled day with the snownami we are scheduled to get Thursday and Saturday. Weather permitting I may be making the trip to GAC, hopefully I can claim that soda from the Luverne radio crew.
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

GoldyGopher wrote:This thread is brutally slow this year. See if I can't get some predictions going.

Give Goldy New Ulm and Luverne in the first game at GAC Saturday, along with Marshall and LDC in the second.

New Ulm meets LDC Wednesday. LDC to state in a close one.

As unlikely as that scenario may be, this section is one where anything can happen and it would not surprise me. 1A is in a similar situation. Will be interesting to see if all the games can get played on their scheduled day with the snownami we are scheduled to get Thursday and Saturday. Weather permitting I may be making the trip to GAC, hopefully I can claim that soda from the Luverne radio crew.
New Ulm looked to have life after the tie with Northfield but losing to Waseca and getting outshot 51-17 In the process does not scream section final.
better late

Post by better late »

Marshall with Plante and Marshall without Plante are two different teams. If he's not playing I don't like their chances. Goldy,I just don't see New Ulm getting it done although a monster game by any goalie is always a factor. Talent wise it's Luverne, grit and determination, LDC, outside chance for Hutch and Marshall (with Plante).
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

NU @ Hutch tonight. Hutch won first game 3-1 early in the season while outshooting NU 36-23. All the goals scored in that game were on special teams. This SHOULD be the best game of the evening in Section 3A, I got Hutch winning a low scoring tight game.
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

Saturday's weather is looking a little dicey, anyone know what the backup plan is if semis are postponed?
Thegoldenjet

Post by Thegoldenjet »

Would imagine Super Saturday becomes Mundane Monday, again...
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Thegoldenjet wrote:Would imagine Super Saturday becomes Mundane Monday, again...
Yep, I'm sure that is the plan.

Also agreed talent wise it's Luverne no question I've said it all year. I'm just gonna put NUSE goaltending on a hot streak and get them a couple more wins. Probably wrong but that's what I'm going with.
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

If Plante is out for Marshall they lose a ton of scoring power. IF he is out I give Redwood a fighters chance of pulling the upset tonight which in turn would give Litch a cakewalk to the final.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Yuge wrote:If Plante is out for Marshall they lose a ton of scoring power. IF he is out I give Redwood a fighters chance of pulling the upset tonight which in turn would give Litch a cakewalk to the final.

Sommers and Stremcha back in town or something??
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

New Ulm is leading 1-0 midway through first.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

The hub has Marshall and Redwood tied 1-1 going into the third. Anyone there to confirm that?

New Ulm is up 2-1 in the second.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Hutch wins in OT, sounds like Raymond played a stellar game.

Luverne V Hutch

Marshall V LDC

Saturday. (Weather permitting)
Thegoldenjet

Post by Thegoldenjet »

Snow at the end of February again.

Considering the situation, my thoughts would be to spread the intended schedule a little wider and allow more than one night for a semi final postponement. Play ins last Saturday, quarters Tuesday, semis scheduled for Thursday or Friday allowing for a Friday or Saturday make up in order to avoid Monday and quick turnaround Wednesday.

Or even still plan on Semi Saturday but have the quarters scheduled for Tuesday so that snow on Tuesday can’t domino the whole deal, or with the semis established Tuesday night, the contingency of snow on Saturday could lead to a move up and be played Thursday or Friday night.

Disclaimer, just a few thoughts out loud.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Safety should be the top priority. So the coaches don't get to seed until Monday......so what?

Ideally the section championships are played when scheduled but delaying them for mother nature should be built in. After all two high school students shouldn't have to make the decision to drive in a blizzard to see a hockey game or stay home. If it is for the kids, thsn kids should be the driving factor in safety decisions.
Thegoldenjet

Post by Thegoldenjet »

This is true, could be widened on the back end too. That said, there’s kind of a weird void on the front end with the compressed schedule as it is, might as well use that cushion to build in some contingency.
Thegoldenjet

Post by Thegoldenjet »

That’s a lot of beauracratic opine though. Any solid recaps? New Ulm and Hutch must have been tight. Redwood must have put up a real fight. Windom didn’t just lay down, at least early in Litch? And Luverne played the 1 seed against Willmar...
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

I get the beuacratic reference.... but that is the age in which we live.

I have no recaps. I was st the North/ Hastings 1AA game
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Thegoldenjet wrote:That’s a lot of beauracratic opine though. Any solid recaps? New Ulm and Hutch must have been tight. Redwood must have put up a real fight. Windom didn’t just lay down, at least early in Litch? And Luverne played the 1 seed against Willmar...
Hutch out-shot New Ulm badly (42-18). Couldn't tell you about Marshall game.
better late

Post by better late »

Semis postponed; moved to Monday.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

GoldyGopher wrote:
Thegoldenjet wrote:That’s a lot of beauracratic opine though. Any solid recaps? New Ulm and Hutch must have been tight. Redwood must have put up a real fight. Windom didn’t just lay down, at least early in Litch? And Luverne played the 1 seed against Willmar...
Hutch out-shot New Ulm badly (42-18). Couldn't tell you about Marshall game.

How many ziggy zacki's did the new ulm fans rip off during this heated playoff battle?

Still moonwalking in the the land of the Lord.