7AA for 2017-2018

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Speaking of Semifinal sites elliot, when is 8AA gonna get their act together and stop this boring high seed hosts non-sense and put both semifinals at the Sanford Center?
Never
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

You’re right, Bemidji is the worst town in Minnesota, what was I thinking.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Back to the games themselves. I think we are in for two great games because it feels like all 4 teams are peaking at the right time. East and Marshall played to OT earlier in the year. I'm sure Elk River and Andover are glad to have at least one game at Amsoil not playing East. Interesting game in that it is a rivalry game and both teams have to travel a good distance. I expect high scoring games in both contests.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Back to the games themselves. I think we are in for two great games because it feels like all 4 teams are peaking at the right time. East and Marshall played to OT earlier in the year. I'm sure Elk River and Andover are glad to have at least one game at Amsoil not playing East. Interesting game in that it is a rivalry game and both teams have to travel a good distance. I expect high scoring games in both contests.
How stupid. Elk River and Andover have to drive all the way up to Duluth to play a semi-final game. :roll:
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

BodyShots wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:Back to the games themselves. I think we are in for two great games because it feels like all 4 teams are peaking at the right time. East and Marshall played to OT earlier in the year. I'm sure Elk River and Andover are glad to have at least one game at Amsoil not playing East. Interesting game in that it is a rivalry game and both teams have to travel a good distance. I expect high scoring games in both contests.
How stupid. Elk River and Andover have to drive all the way up to Duluth to play a semi-final game. :roll:
Comments like this make me hope Elk River gets put in 8AA and their first year they have to travel to Roseau for their semi-final game.
blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 »

BodyShots wrote:
So where should 7AA semi-finals be played? Are you suggesting high seed hosts?
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

blueline_6 wrote:
BodyShots wrote:
I know right? Maybe these complainers should just try to embrace the trip. Go to Canal Park Brewing, Fitgers, Duluth Coffee Company. I don't understand why people can't just enjoy something that should be a lot of fun. Yeah it's a bit of a drive, but you get to be in your warm car. No one is forcing you to ride a donkey without a jacket and gloves. And what hockey fan wouldn't want to watch East vs Marshall before your ER/Andover game?
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
blueline_6 wrote:
BodyShots wrote: How stupid. Elk River and Andover have to drive all the way up to Duluth to play a semi-final game. :roll:
I know right? Maybe these complainers should just try to embrace the trip. Go to Canal Park Brewing, Fitgers, Duluth Coffee Company. I don't understand why people can't just enjoy something that should be a lot of fun. Yeah it's a bit of a drive, but you get to be in your warm car. No one is forcing you to ride a donkey without a jacket and gloves. And what hockey fan wouldn't want to watch East vs Marshall before your ER/Andover game?
Also if you do come to town go try the new brewery Hoops in Canal Park
Edinahopkins

Post by Edinahopkins »

Does anyone go to the Amsoil semis and finals it's a joke there is nobody there unless it's an all northern final , at least play the semis at the high seed because the atmosphere is dead especially when Rapids and cloquet get knocked out. As far as single A those games were amazing played at the ira great atmosphere the amsoil killed it. The IRA holds 2000 2400 max
The amsoil does not get that for the A no way no how for a single game.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:You’re right, Bemidji is the worst town in Minnesota, what was I thinking.
Rather an odd response.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Edinahopkins wrote:Does anyone go to the Amsoil semis and finals it's a joke there is nobody there unless it's an all northern final , at least play the semis at the high seed because the atmosphere is dead especially when Rapids and cloquet get knocked out. As far as single A those games were amazing played at the ira great atmosphere the amsoil killed it. The IRA holds 2000 2400 max
The amsoil does not get that for the A no way no how for a single game.
Terribly inaccurate. The atmosphere at least for the AA semi-finals was awesome last year. Elk River brought a lot of fans for the early game against Rapids, the arena was about 75% full, lots of fans in the upper level. I think last year for the first year that Semifinal Saturday really caught on with fans in terms of making it a full day event like at state where you can watch 4 games in the same day. Great video of the atmosphere for the GR/ER game last year (sorry acloseshaver) https://youtu.be/A9cOKoiPLAI?t=5m10s

At the end of the day, the contract is with Amsoil Arena and it is staying there.
Last edited by TheHockeyDJ on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

elliott70 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:You’re right, Bemidji is the worst town in Minnesota, what was I thinking.
Rather an odd response.
Sarcasm. I love Bemidji.
blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 »

Usthockey13 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
blueline_6 wrote: So where should 7AA semi-finals be played? Are you suggesting high seed hosts?
Also if you do come to town go try the new brewery Hoops in Canal Park
I try to stop by Bent Paddle every time I'm in Duluth.
Edinahopkins

Post by Edinahopkins »

I been going to the semis every Rapids is there and started watching the single A . Last year was an exception for Rapids and elk river because that should have been the final but I almost promise you it's dead because nobody from the north besides east is there and the single is dead if you ever
Attended the IRA for the semis you would understand unbelievable atmosphere because it's usually two Iran range teams battling it out and
You always defend the amsoil are you a low-key east fan because then
Playing there is unfair and a joke practicing there all week if I was
Elk river two and three years ago I would burned that place down
Cobber

Post by Cobber »

Tired of hearing it is always unfair when the city teams have to drive a little ways, the Amsoil is a great venue to host the section 7 tournament. I don't hear the northern teams complaining about the state tournament that they have to drive all the way to the twin cities trying to play with bus legs, sleeping in hotels and not eating mom's cooking. No they love the expierence and would not have it any other way.And no I am not from Duluth.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Usthockey13 wrote:Also if you do come to town go try the new brewery Hoops in Canal Park
That looks like a great place to go for a brew! Thanks for sharing.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

Edinahopkins wrote:I been going to the semis every Rapids is there and started watching the single A . Last year was an exception for Rapids and elk river because that should have been the final but I almost promise you it's dead because nobody from the north besides east is there and the single is dead if you ever
Attended the IRA for the semis you would understand unbelievable atmosphere because it's usually two Iran range teams battling it out and
Translation please. Anyone? Anyone?
kniven

Post by kniven »

I, personally, don’t like Amsoil for high school hockey. I would like to see “high seeds” get home games throughout section playoffs. I don’t like single A section semifinals at Amsoil at all. It’s like going to a funeral home for a rock concert. I can definitely see all the points for Amsoil though. I just agree to disagree.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Cobber wrote:Tired of hearing it is always unfair when the city teams have to drive a little ways, the Amsoil is a great venue to host the section 7 tournament. I don't hear the northern teams complaining about the state tournament that they have to drive all the way to the twin cities trying to play with bus legs, sleeping in hotels and not eating mom's cooking. No they love the expierence and would not have it any other way.And no I am not from Duluth.
All the teams stay in hotels.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

The participants in 8AA like to reward the teams that did well in season by giving them a home game or two.
The final is played at a neutral site that minimizes the travel for the two teams.
Thus St Cloud, TRF, Bemidji as the choices.
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

Edinahopkins wrote:Attended the IRA for the semis you would understand unbelievable atmosphere because it's usually two Iran range teams battling it out and You always defend the amsoil are you a low-key east fan because then Playing there is unfair and a joke practicing there all week if I was
I have been to both Hibbing and IRA for Section games back in the day as a member of the local media. Sure, the places were packed, but the atmosphere was completely dead. In between plays, you were left wondering if everyone knew there was a game going on, the sound system was usually blaring some 70's classic rock, and you could not even come close to understanding the arena announcer. The little details were completely ignored, and it did not live up to the event on the ice. Don't even get me started on sight lines, especially for a video camera. Terrible.

To say that Amsoil is not a great venue is simply exhibiting some sort of Arena Envy. Get over it. It is a great place, and probably only second in terms of atmosphere to The X in the state of Minnesota. They know how to host a section tournament.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Edinahopkins wrote:I been going to the semis every Rapids is there and started watching the single A . Last year was an exception for Rapids and elk river because that should have been the final but I almost promise you it's dead because nobody from the north besides east is there and the single is dead if you ever
Translation please. Anyone? Anyone?
Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNe7x13q2MU
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Cobber wrote:Tired of hearing it is always unfair when the city teams have to drive a little ways, the Amsoil is a great venue to host the section 7 tournament. I don't hear the northern teams complaining about the state tournament that they have to drive all the way to the twin cities trying to play with bus legs, sleeping in hotels and not eating mom's cooking. No they love the expierence and would not have it any other way.And no I am not from Duluth.
Absolutely talking apples & oranges here. If you make the AA STATE Tourney you drive to St Paul Wed afternoon, check into the hotel, attend the LPH banquet, sleep in the hotel Wed night & play Thursday. I’ve always had less of a problem for Southern teams on semifinal Saturday because all teams are off school that day, while on Final Thursday the southern schools need to bus for 2.5 hours after attending school for a few
periods. Now if its ER or Andover playing GR, then it’s a neutral site game, but if they are playing, DE or DM or Cloquet, it simply ISNT a neutral site game. I realize Amsoil has the contract & I love hanging out in Duluth...but that’s not the point. Now playing the game in say Bemidji would be a TRUE neutral site game. Alternatively, if they rotated the 7AA section final between Amsoil &
St Cloud State’s Rink...that would at least be more equitable. But I doubt that will ever happen 😉 🇺🇸
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

hockey59 wrote:
Absolutely talking apples & oranges here. If you make the AA STATE Tourney you drive to St Paul Wed afternoon, check into the hotel, attend the LPH banquet, sleep in the hotel Wed night & play Thursday. I’ve always had less of a problem for Southern teams on semifinal Saturday because all teams are off school that day, while on Final Thursday the southern schools need to bus for 2.5 hours after attending school for a few
Periods. Now if its ER or Andover playing GR, it’s a neutral site game, but if they are playing, DE or DM or Cloquet...it simply ISNT a neutral site game. I realize Amsoil has the contract & I love hanging out in Duluth...but that’s not the point. Now playing the game in say Bemidji would be a TRUE neutral site game. Alternatively, if they rotated the 7AA section final between Amsoil &
St Cloud State’s Rink...that would at least be more equitable. But I doubt that will ever happen 😉 🇺🇸
Why exactly does it need to be a neutral site? Tell me how playing at Mariucci is any different of a situation for Twin Cities teams. None of the Duluth area teams play their games in Amsoil during the season. Sure, there may be a rare occasion every now and then, but not every season. Duluth East's home rink is at Heritage, along with Duluth Denfeld. Marshall plays all their home games at Mars Lakeview Arena. Playing games at Amsoil is not something these kids have necessarily had a lot of experience with. So I don't see your point.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Schotzy wrote:
hockey59 wrote:
Periods. Now if its ER or Andover playing GR, it’s a neutral site game, but if they are playing, DE or DM or Cloquet...it simply ISNT a neutral site game. I realize Amsoil has the contract & I love hanging out in Duluth...but that’s not the point. Now playing the game in say Bemidji would be a TRUE neutral site game. Alternatively, if they rotated the 7AA section final between Amsoil &
Why exactly does it need to be a neutral site? Tell me how playing at Mariucci is any different of a situation for Twin Cities teams. None of the Duluth area teams play their games in Amsoil during the season. Sure, there may be a rare occasion every now and then, but not every season. Duluth East's home rink is at Heritage, along with Duluth Denfeld. Marshall plays all their home games at Mars Lakeview Arena. Playing games at Amsoil is not something these kids have necessarily had a lot of experience with. So I don't see your point.
Takes me back to 1997. Rapids fans were sick and tired of playing East in sections at the DECC, myself included at that time. Then that year Rapids fans finally got what they wanted, a semifinal game against East in Hibbing. Everyone was like now we're gonna show em, take away their precious DECC and see how they like it!!! Annnnnd East won the game in Hibbing 2-0. The home ice advantage is so misplaced it is embarrassing to even try to use that argument. Last two section finals were on Duluth East's "home ice" and they lost both games. Just stop with the home ice bit. This isn't football where a dome turf team has to play at Lambeau Field in January.