CEC/Duluth East/Esse/Randolph

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

CEC/Duluth East/Esse/Randolph

Post by kniven »

I've been a heavy student of these two icons since 2009-2010. I've got so much respect for both programs. The team in purple, of course, and Coach Esse always defined me at the core for what I believe when it comes to high school hockey. You see......everything I have done for the kids reflects my head coach, Dave Esse. To me, this man defined Cloquet/Esko/Carlton Lumberjack hockey to its core.

On the bus, his multiple summer camps in Cloquet for our youth, in the locker room, at Walmart, at work, in a bad mood, in a good mood, tryouts, multiple practices, with coaches/fans of friend and foe, with the kids, with the youth coaches, after a loss, after a win, .....

One of my favorite parts of any game at home or on the road....would be to observe Coach Esse with the coaches from the squad we were playing that night. And right after, in the hand-shake line, of a win or a loss. Always holding his head high and with a story to tell. Respect, dedication, love of the game, love of the game, love of our kids, love of our kids.

Over the last several years, even keeping me in order at times. You see, i'm such a huge fan of our kids. And all kids for that matter. I'll walk up to you and shake your hand introducing myself. Wether your friend or foe.

The respect of Coach Mike Randolph. That's right I said it. This man is what every head coach strives for - no matter what they say. when it's quiet, and they are alone, they all strive for this. Now again, I am an idiot, but I see and watch peoples eyes. Eyes are a peak into somebodies soul. Sure. But...anywho....I put a little something together of Cloquet/East, Esse/Randolph. And long-time assistants, Coach Kyle Young and Coach Eric Hanson. Wow! Disciples of our head coach. Each reflects Esse, our head coach. I am sure going to miss it all. Sure I'll be a fan always.

Thank you to all the kids. East/Hermantown, Hibbing, Grand Rapids, Denfeld, and especially the team in purple. I've met many of you over the years, respected you, and just had to say hi. I've also had the pleasure of saying hi, and shaking the hands, of the coaches/parents/fans of our opponents. And I guess in every instance, I showed the respect, courtesy, and joy I have for the kids and this game I love.

I put a youtube video together of a little CEC/Duluth East/Esse/Randolph action. Thanks for the memories boys. =)

https://youtu.be/g0BN28aPmMQ
kniven

Re: CEC/Duluth East/Esse/Randolph

Post by kniven »

So how many more years will coach Randolph be the coach of Duluth East hockey? I'm looking forward to watching a lot of East/Hermantown hockey this coming season.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

:cry: :cry: :cry: Does somebody have a tissue?
blueblood

7AA

Post by blueblood »

kniven - its time to move on bro.
kniven

Re: 7AA

Post by kniven »

blueblood wrote:kniven - its time to move on bro.
What do you mean? I think I have moved on. Is it defined as "not moving on" if I no longer am a huge fan, still a fan, of the team in purple? I'm just broadening my horizons. :)I gave up the Cubs 10 years ago, cause I realized I was just a fan of Wrigley Field....and have been a Twins fan since. I can choose can't I? Or do others have to approve my choice and decide for themselves that I've moved on.

Well. We agree to disagree :). #218hockey
kniven

Post by kniven »

kniven wrote:So how many more years will coach Randolph be the coach of Duluth East hockey? I'm looking forward to watching a lot of East/Hermantown hockey this coming season.
So Randolph, how many more years you figure. Anybody?
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

kniven wrote:
What do you mean? I think I have moved on. Is it defined as "not moving on" if I no longer am a huge fan, still a fan, of the team in purple? I'm just broadening my horizons. :)I gave up the Cubs 10 years ago, cause I realized I was just a fan of Wrigley Field....and have been a Twins fan since. I can choose can't I? Or do others have to approve my choice and decide for themselves that I've moved on.

Man give it a rest!! And once the new coach starts out hot you will be right on the bandwagon you havent got a clue
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

I don't think Kniven is the only one that needs to move on..... #spOilerfan
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Section 8 guy wrote:I don't think Kniven is the only one that needs to move on..... #spOilerfan
Yeah, maybe our moderators should start a whole new forum, "Section 7 Minnesota High School Hockey". :roll:
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

kniven wrote:

Knivsy, I've followed you on here since day one and I've always loved your posts. You support a lot of kids in the area, many outside of CEC also. Not everyone knows that. I know you've got a lot of emotions right now. But you're actually hinting at becoming a Hermantown fan so I'm starting to question your mental health. Please reach out to those close to you to get through this trying time. (Note: if anyone in Hermantown ever does decide to grow a set, I will be in the front row at the X cheering them on.). Until then, they're dead to me.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote:

Knivsy, I've followed you on here since day one and I've always loved your posts. You support a lot of kids in the area, many outside of CEC also. Not everyone knows that. I know you've got a lot of emotions right now. But you're actually hinting at becoming a Hermantown fan so I'm starting to question your mental health. Please reach out to those close to you to get through this trying time. (Note: if anyone in Hermantown ever does decide to grow a set, I will be in the front row at the X cheering them on.). Until then, they're dead to me.
Nothing wrong with being a Hermantown fan.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Kniven, if you care about the kids, why do you so easily start putting down Cloquet? Do you actually care about the program, or do you just idolize the coach?
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Cloquet hockey is 100,000x bigger than Dave Esse. Didn't even have that much success.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

elliott70 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote: What do you mean? I think I have moved on. Is it defined as "not moving on" if I no longer am a huge fan, still a fan, of the team in purple? I'm just broadening my horizons. :)I gave up the Cubs 10 years ago, cause I realized I was just a fan of Wrigley Field....and have been a Twins fan since. I can choose can't I? Or do others have to approve my choice and decide for themselves that I've moved on.

You know better than that Elliott. Don't waste all those years of work and what you've done. Lots of room on the East bandwagon for you and and Knivsy if you're looking to cheer on a real team and program. If you're not worried about that kind of thing, then I'm sure Hermantown can work. To each his own.....
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Jeffy95 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote: Knivsy, I've followed you on here since day one and I've always loved your posts. You support a lot of kids in the area, many outside of CEC also. Not everyone knows that. I know you've got a lot of emotions right now. But you're actually hinting at becoming a Hermantown fan so I'm starting to question your mental health. Please reach out to those close to you to get through this trying time. (Note: if anyone in Hermantown ever does decide to grow a set, I will be in the front row at the X cheering them on.). Until then, they're dead to me.
You know better than that Elliott. Don't waste all those years of work and what you've done. Lots of room on the East bandwagon for you and and Knivsy if you're looking to cheer on a real team and program. If you're not worried about that kind of thing, then I'm sure Hermantown can work. To each his own.....
You can be a fan of the players, the coaches, the program without agreeing with their administration.

As far as East goes, I probably have been a fan of their's since before you were born. Before Randolph showed up there for sure.

Anyway, we all know your opinions on Hermantown, so perhaps we can have threads that do not turn into HTown's not opting up to AA.

I am a fan of the Spuds (which is not popular in Bemidji nor my household) even though I wish they would opt up to AAA (or perhaps a junior league).
(Bitterness is an ugly coat to wear.)

So go Hawks and Lumberjacks (both of them). And yeah, my favorite 7AA team, the India.. oops Thunderhawks.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Slammer wrote:Kniven, if you care about the kids, why do you so easily start putting down Cloquet? Do you actually care about the program, or do you just idolize the coach?
Hi Slammer. I apologize if I've come across as a "hater" of the kids. That is far from the truth. Everything I've done for CEC the last 5 years is because of the kids. I'm just really, really disappointing in some parents and Jamie. Of course I'm still a huge fan of the kids. I just resigned along with Esse and his entire staff.

The sport of high school hockey is the best, but the parents of the kids in many different programs can/are the worst. I have never done what I do for the parents! They might think so, but that's a myth. There is alot of good hockey in 218. I'm going to enjoy it all...not just CEC.

I've been to every game..home, away, and playoff since 2009-2010. I've been to pretty much every tryout and practice as well. Practices were always my favorite because I had the kids to myself....except for the coaches on the ice, of course. It's time for me to grow up. I am 48, been married 25 years, and have 2 wonderful kids.

I'll admire the kids from a distance.
Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 »

Kniven-what was your roll/job with the team?
kniven

Post by kniven »

Upfan111 wrote:Kniven-what was your roll/job with the team?
I took all the game video home and away. IT support for the coaches. Game video streaming, DVDs, online for team viewing. Always there for the kids for whatever. Good times.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

I guess I don't know why you can't be a fan of more than one team.....My team is John Marshall but times have been pretty lean for a long time, so I will cheer for whichever Rochester AA team is doing well, after that it is any 1AA team. I dislike immensely what happened at North (the main players in that have all moved along so I should probably move on as well) and generally root for whomever plays them in sections but after that they're my team.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

elliott70 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
elliott70 wrote: Nothing wrong with being a Hermantown fan.
You can be a fan of the players, the coaches, the program without agreeing with their administration.

As far as East goes, I probably have been a fan of their's since before you were born. Before Randolph showed up there for sure.

Anyway, we all know your opinions on Hermantown, so perhaps we can have threads that do not turn into HTown's not opting up to AA.

I am a fan of the Spuds (which is not popular in Bemidji nor my household) even though I wish they would opt up to AAA (or perhaps a junior league).

So go Hawks and Lumberjacks (both of them). And yeah, my favorite 7AA team, the India.. oops Thunderhawks.
I don't have a nephew on the team, so I can be honest.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

ttt
kniven

Post by kniven »

SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

time to move on with new coach, good lord!
kniven

Post by kniven »

SpOilerfan wrote:

time to move on with new coach, good lord!
I posted the game because it was a fun game - nothing else.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

elliott70 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
elliott70 wrote: Nothing wrong with being a Hermantown fan.

And also a big fan of the Green Wave, right Elliott? :mrgreen:
What is a Green Wave anyway?