Early Departures 17-18

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Hockeygoon00

Post by Hockeygoon00 »

Almquist back from Tri-City (USHL) Via Twitter last week. Great news for the fire!
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

Hockeygoon00 wrote:Almquist back from Tri-City (USHL) Via Twitter last week. Great news for the fire!
They needed that, good to hear.

He's a Mr. Hockey contender.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Could be last minute bombshell early depart announcement coming before Monday
Goal_Judge

Post by Goal_Judge »

Ok, I'll bite. Any hints? (Section, jersey color, astrological sign, etc.)
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

How about someone from Section 7AA? Just a guess.
GoldenBear69

Post by GoldenBear69 »

Leading the USHL in scoring perhaps ... :wink:
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Ryder Donavan to USNTDP? Or is that already a done deal?
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

I’d be surprised if it was Donovan. I believe he was with them for the week playing before the HS season starts tomorrow.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Stay tuned
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

Usthockey13 wrote:I’d be surprised if it was Donovan. I believe he was with them for the week playing before the HS season starts tomorrow.
The article in the Duluth Trib says he is playing for the team in Finland but is not affiliated with the U.S. National Development Program.
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Usthockey13 wrote:I’d be surprised if it was Donovan. I believe he was with them for the week playing before the HS season starts tomorrow.
The article in the Duluth Trib says he is playing for the team in Finland but is not affiliated with the U.S. National Development Program.
Heard he’s on his way back and will be skating with East
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

Just say YHH post on Twitter the Blake will not return to Rapids
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Congrats Blake !

Hope you score 100 points down there this year!

Blake , Gavin , Zach and coach Trent - very difficult decisions , but I’m sure the entire Minnesota and national hockey community is very thankful to you , Micah , Gabe and last years entire roster and coaching staff for putting on one of the greatest hockey shows in decades! We will be talking about it for a long, long time! The very best to all of you!
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I hate to see him go but certainly wish him and the rest the best. It's been an exciting run the last few years.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

Usthockey13 wrote:Just say YHH post on Twitter the Blake will not return to Rapids
This makes the GR-Greenway match-up on 11/28 that much more interesting. Raiders might be favored! :shock:

Gonna be a fun game.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

It could be close but Greenway has two key injuries. Jensen is out until Christmas and Dante Lawson could be out too. If Lawson can play it could be an interesting game.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Seems like I can always count on there being a November surprise in the early departure category when I got about making preseason rankings. There were a few hints leading up to this one, but this year is certainly no exception.

For a HS fan it's sad to see Blake go, but he's already achieved an awful lot at the high school level. And coming back as a star senior and having other D-I or potential D-I players as linemates is one thing, but coming back to this Rapids team when Hain and Stejskal had already made their way to the exits is another. I thought he did a pretty good job of working with his teammates in the summer tourneys, all things considered, but there were bound to be some moments of real frustration this year. Ah well. That does probably simplify things in 7AA some, barring some heroics from Gabe Holum. Tough offseason for Rapids, but I suppose they'll always have this past March.

Do we have confirmation on Grant Anderson? I'm operating under the assumption that he's gone, but would be nice to see that in ink before Wednesday.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Karl, Grant is gone. GB
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

karl(east) wrote:Seems like I can always count on there being a November surprise in the early departure category when I got about making preseason rankings. There were a few hints leading up to this one, but this year is certainly no exception.

For a HS fan it's sad to see Blake go, but he's already achieved an awful lot at the high school level. And coming back as a star senior and having other D-I or potential D-I players as linemates is one thing, but coming back to this Rapids team when Hain and Stejskal had already made their way to the exits is another. I thought he did a pretty good job of working with his teammates in the summer tourneys, all things considered, but there were bound to be some moments of real frustration this year. Ah well. That does probably simplify things in 7AA some, barring some heroics from Gabe Holum. Tough offseason for Rapids, but I suppose they'll always have this past March.
I totally agree, when I saw last week Blake was leading the USHL in scoring I thought he was probably gonna end up staying for all the reasons you mentioned. He obviously loved playing in GR so much he waited until the last moment to make his decision. If Hain and Stejskal had stayed then there may have been enough reason to take that last chance at playing for a ship again. Anyways, Mt. Everest has been climbed at the HS level already. Besides the players, Klatt not coming back was probably somewhat of a factor as well. They are in good hands with Marinucci, but it sure was fun having Klatt the last two seasons. He was so much fun to listen to being interview pre and post game and the handful of times he was on KFAN.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
karl(east) wrote:Seems like I can always count on there being a November surprise in the early departure category when I got about making preseason rankings. There were a few hints leading up to this one, but this year is certainly no exception.

I totally agree, when I saw last week Blake was leading the USHL in scoring I thought he was probably gonna end up staying for all the reasons you mentioned. He obviously loved playing in GR so much he waited until the last moment to make his decision. If Hain and Stejskal had stayed then there may have been enough reason to take that last chance at playing for a ship again. Anyways, Mt. Everest has been climbed at the HS level already. Besides the players, Klatt not coming back was probably somewhat of a factor as well. They are in good hands with Marinucci, but it sure was fun having Klatt the last two seasons. He was so much fun to listen to being interview pre and post game and the handful of times he was on KFAN.
Agree with your statements DJ. Think if Klatt had stuck around all three would be playing HS hockey.
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

Agree with the above. I think having won a state title, subsequent success in the USHL, and teammates/friends departures had a lot to do with Blake's decision. It may sound corny, but the state title is the Stanley Cup to a lot of these kids growing up - a big goal. Had Eden Prairie won the title during Casey Mittelstadt's junior year, I'm not convinced Casey would have been back as a senior. Probably would have depended upon the return of the supporting cast.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 »

Zach Dornfeld, Junior defensemen, WBL to Sioux Falls U18 AAA