Hermantown/Monticello game greatest championship game ever?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hermantown2000

Hermantown/Monticello game greatest championship game ever?

Post by hermantown2000 »

With Hermantown and Monticello giving us a title game for the ages yesterday does everything think it was best title game ever or is there another championship game that everyone thinks was the best (EP vs DE 2011, Warroad vs Totino 2005, Eveleth vs Lake of The Woods 1993, STA vs Hermantown in 2011 and 2013?)
The51

Post by The51 »

For me personally the 2005 Totino Warroad game is going to be hard to pass for any game
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Just another championship game. Totino/Warroad and Hermantown/EGF were better. Evenly matched teams with D1 players on both teams.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

If the Moose would have won then it could be considered one of the best.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Call me biased , but 2011 AA championship was much more intense , with a larger crowd , and a much more balanced fast paced game..

Eden Prairie defeats Duluth East in 3OT , 3-2
green4

Post by green4 »

If the moose one then maybe, but once the Hawks tied it at 3 I thought that game was over
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

elliott70 wrote:1963
Maybe, but asking people to ask their grandfathers if 1963 was the best isn't really fair. :P

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

Eden Prairie - Duluth East in 2011 gets my vote: epic back and forth into triple overtime.
norcon

Post by norcon »

Rapids - Edina 1978 double OT
norcon

Post by norcon »

Rapids - Edina 1978
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

norcon wrote:Rapids - Edina 1978 double OT
Definitely ranks right up there with any already mentioned. Plus, it had the added intrigue of the referee missing an obvious goal in the first overtime that should have given Rapids the win. Instant replay confirmed the puck going through Edina goaltender Aulik's pads, hitting the back of the net and then exiting back through his pads. A much more obvious, 'non-call' goal than the one scored by Duluth East in the epic '96 semi against Apple Valley. Rapids completely dominated this game.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

What I don't understand is what happened to Hermantown in this tournament. They literally destroyed every A team they played during the regular season with the exception of their game at Delano. Did they just play tight? Or was something revealed to other teams how to play against them? It was shocking that it took overtime for them to win every game.
Hermhawkey

Post by Hermhawkey »

Mite-dad wrote:What I don't understand is what happened to Hermantown in this tournament. They literally destroyed every A team they played during the regular season with the exception of their game at Delano. Did they just play tight? Or was something revealed to other teams how to play against them? It was shocking that it took overtime for them to win every game.
Having watched most the games this year I believe they were just tight. I saw many uncharacteristic defensive errors and goalie who was rock solid all year let in a few softies. May have been a combo of nerves and having a huge target on their backs. Combined with the fact that every team played like them with their best game. Kudos to them.
Hermhawkey

Post by Hermhawkey »

Speaking of Delano…obviously they experienced the same thing. I would also add the advantage of tv timeouts to a team running 2 lines cannot be over looked especially in the case of MAML.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

east hockey wrote:
elliott70 wrote:1963
Maybe, but asking people to ask their grandfathers if 1963 was the best isn't really fair. :P

Lee
or great-grand
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Mite-dad wrote:What I don't understand is what happened to Hermantown in this tournament. They literally destroyed every A team they played during the regular season with the exception of their game at Delano. Did they just play tight? Or was something revealed to other teams how to play against them? It was shocking that it took overtime for them to win every game.
Maybe Parrish was spot on with his quote about Bruce actually having to coach in AA. I do not for one second buy the fact they were tight as defending state champs with a majority of the same players. He didn't have them ready to play.
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

GoldyGopher wrote:
Maybe Parrish was spot on with his quote about Bruce actually having to coach in AA. I do not for one second buy the fact they were tight as defending state champs with a majority of the same players. He didn't have them ready to play.
I agree that Plante did not get them ready to play. I've seen Hermantown more than once and never have seen them play so poorly defensively. They did not seem to have the intensity that other teams in the State tournament had. They appeared to be going through the motions until they got behind then they went to the next gear and pulled it out. It was almost like they were bored.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

GoldyGopher wrote:
It was their 8th straight Championship game. They haven't lost to an A team in what, 58 straight games? How do you get fired up for that? They're probably bored.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Jeffy95 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:
It was their 8th straight Championship game. They haven't lost to an A team in what, 58 straight games? How do you get fired up for that? They're probably bored.
I'd stick with they weren't prepared.
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration