New State Tournament Format?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kpryan88

New State Tournament Format?

Post by kpryan88 »

I keep hearing that this year is the last year that the Class A quarterfinals will be on Wednesday. Does anyone know what the changes are? No one elaborates on it, they just say this is the last year for this format. I'm just curious to see how the format will be changing next year.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Hermantown wants to know what it's like to play on Thursday, so they will flip the A with the AA.
kpryan88

Post by kpryan88 »

mulefarm wrote:Hermantown wants to know what it's like to play on Thursday, so they will flip the A with the AA.
Good grief... why don't they just give trophies and medals to everyone... if you want to play with the big boys; join them! I can't decide what decision was worse, this one or Tier I & Tier II...
defense

Post by defense »

Maybe the cadets have decided they cannot win on thursday???

Anyway

Is it possible that since more class a teams need a place to stay that they would flip class a to Thursday Fri Saturday so that they cod save that extra night??? And open day?
hshockeyfan53

Re: New State Tournament Format?

Post by hshockeyfan53 »

kpryan88 wrote:I keep hearing that this year is the last year that the Class A quarterfinals will be on Wednesday. Does anyone know what the changes are? No one elaborates on it, they just say this is the last year for this format. I'm just curious to see how the format will be changing next year.
I heard that, going forward, the games will be played but they aren't going to keep score. That way no one gets their feelings hurt and everyone is happy and of course, everyone will receive a neutral colored ribbon at the conclusion of the tournament to congratulate them for trying hard and giving it their all.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

defense wrote:Maybe the cadets have decided they cannot win on thursday???

Anyway

Is it possible that since more class a teams need a place to stay that they would flip class a to Thursday Fri Saturday so that they cod save that extra night??? And open day?
All the teams stay in a hotel.
The U invented swagger.
defense

Post by defense »

Goldy Gopher wrote:

Anyway

Then maybe for the fans?
kpryan88

Post by kpryan88 »

mulefarm wrote:Hermantown wants to know what it's like to play on Thursday, so they will flip the A with the AA.
Please tell me there will be no changes to Friday. The MSHSL would lose a lot of money if AA was moved to the morning session on Friday.
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

They came very close to finding out this year....
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

Goldy Gopher wrote:

Anyway

Almost always but it's not required. It's been a few years for me but it cost the families $350-$400 per player additional expense. Hotel, food, transportation, banquet, ice time for morning skate at metro home rink and misc. I can think of one metro team that chose to stay home and commute.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote:

Anyway

Almost always but it's not required. It's been a few years for me but it cost the families $350-$400 per player additional expense. Hotel, food, transportation, banquet, ice time for morning skate at metro home rink and misc. I can think of one metro team that chose to stay home and commute.
6. TEAMS NOT STAYING AT THEIR DESIGNATED HOTEL WILL FORFEIT $200.00 PER DAY FOR EACH DAY THEY COMPETE IN THE TOURNAMENT. (This policy applies to the following activities: Baseball, Boys' and Girls' Basketball, Girls' Gymnastics-Team only, Boys' and Girls' Hockey, Volleyball and Wrestling -Team only).
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

elliott70 wrote:
WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote: All the teams stay in a hotel.
6. TEAMS NOT STAYING AT THEIR DESIGNATED HOTEL WILL FORFEIT $200.00 PER DAY FOR EACH DAY THEY COMPETE IN THE TOURNAMENT. (This policy applies to the following activities: Baseball, Boys' and Girls' Basketball, Girls' Gymnastics-Team only, Boys' and Girls' Hockey, Volleyball and Wrestling -Team only).
Maybe this wasn't the case at some point in the past. $200 per day for the team is cheaper than putting up 20 kids, 2 to a room so maybe that's why the team I knew of more than 10 years ago decided to stay at their homes. If I remember correctly the rooms were $125 per night X 10 rooms=$1,250 X 4 nights=$5000 vs $800 fine. Add in food , transportation, banquet and misc. and it adds up. If you have siblings on the team you can double or triple the cost to the family. That was an issue with our team.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

elliott70 wrote:
WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote: All the teams stay in a hotel.
What was the spirit of that rule? :lol:
The U invented swagger.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
WarmUpTheBus wrote:Almost always but it's not required. It's been a few years for me but it cost the families $350-$400 per player additional expense. Hotel, food, transportation, banquet, ice time for morning skate at metro home rink and misc. I can think of one metro team that chose to stay home and commute.
Maybe this wasn't the case at some point in the past. $200 per day for the team is cheaper than putting up 20 kids, 2 to a room so maybe that's why the team I knew of more than 10 years ago decided to stay at their homes. If I remember correctly the rooms were $125 per night X 10 rooms=$1,250 X 4 nights=$5000 vs $800 fine. Add in food , transportation, banquet and misc. and it adds up. If you have siblings on the team you can double or triple the cost to the family. That was an issue with our team.
They are reimbursed for the hotel cost.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Goldy Gopher wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
WarmUpTheBus wrote:Almost always but it's not required. It's been a few years for me but it cost the families $350-$400 per player additional expense. Hotel, food, transportation, banquet, ice time for morning skate at metro home rink and misc. I can think of one metro team that chose to stay home and commute.
What was the spirit of that rule? :lol:
It's the Larry Ross rule and we would need the spirits to ask 'coach'.