AA Semifinal: Grand Rapids vs. Eden Prairie

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Thunderhawks
64%
Eagles
36%

Total votes: 22

karl(east)

AA Semifinal: Grand Rapids vs. Eden Prairie

Post by karl(east) »

This was a fascinating matchup on paper coming in, and we're getting it tonight. Casey vs. the Orange Trinity, rematch of last year, North vs. Metro on a Friday night. What's not to love?
zooomx

Post by zooomx »

Never been much of a Grand Rapids fan, but rooting hard for them in this game. Would love to see an all north final!
507Ole

Post by 507Ole »

Direct quote from my sister: "I don’t know a ton about high school hockey, but even I know to cheer for Grand Rapids over a snooty metro school."
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

Grand Rapids just looked like a machine last night that wasn't going to be stopped. Maple Grove cut into the lead in the third but I had that feeling the Thunderhawks can just turn it on and pump pucks into the net when they need to.

Grand Rapids has a tendency to play loose on D and give up some odd man chances. Eden Prairie has the players that can make you pay for mistakes.

Really looking forward to this one. I will take Grand Rapids in a thrilling game, 5-4.
nahc

Post by nahc »

Eden Prarie by 3 goals.......
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

507Ole wrote:Direct quote from my sister: "I don’t know a ton about high school hockey, but even I know to cheer for Grand Rapids over a snooty metro school."
Love the support!
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Come on Rapids, make this happen! A Rapids/Moorhead final would be Epic! Casey Schmasey. The State needs to see that Rapids top line in Primetime on Saturday night!
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

As an East Alum, and fan, I'll be pulling for the Halloween machine to win it all...

When the game started yesterday, I was like... " THIS is the team that beat East? " Thankfully after about 1/2 a period they came together and were great to watch.. Still , they need to tighten up the D, and passing.. Wasn't too impressed with anything in that department last night.. Just some good 1-2 man efforts, and 3 VERY wide open snipes.. Yes they were all beautiful snipes, but man, completely wide open and untouched. 3-4 seconds all alone in the circle, and nobody picked up any of them.. Can't fault Rapids for MGs mistakes, but they basically gave 3 great players wide open looks at their goalie , untouched..

Like I said , not taking anything away from Rapids, but I highly doubt EP will give them those same type of chances..

Regardless, Lets go Rapids!!!!
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

I prefer to think that the GR players possessed the talent and creativity to create time and space for themselves which led to those open shots as opposed to MG just having breakdowns.
x-out

Post by x-out »

I got the Rapids Band in a landslide
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

I would like to see CM play for a championship.

But I am cheering for the Indians.

Would really like to see the Spuds and THawks on Saturday night.

I am from the north and I cheer for the north teams.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

elliott70 wrote:I would like to see CM play for a championship.

Yup!
What is a Green Wave anyway?
50in15

Post by 50in15 »

Been hoping for this matchup since last year. i feel left me every team plays eden prairie the same way. Try to slow it down, play good defense and grind out a sloppy victory and for good reason. Except for 1 team, Grand Rapids. Last year, klaat said "f it" and tried to go blow for blow with them. And us fans were the beneficiary of it. Hopefully, this year is the same.

Hoping for 6-5 ot, prefer gr on top.
507Ole

Post by 507Ole »

If Grand Rapids can stay disciplined and out of the box, I like their chances. I think they will also need a great game from their goalie. Who gets the start tonight?
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

elliott70 wrote:I would like to see CM play for a championship.

I didn't care for CM's actions at last year's medal ceremony but having him come back for his senior year, winning state and Mr. Hockey would set a good example. Kudos also to Rapids MM for returning.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

507Ole wrote:If Grand Rapids can stay disciplined and out of the box, I like their chances. I think they will also need a great game from their goalie. Who gets the start tonight?
I think it's safe to assume Stejskal will be in net again. He has played the last 3 or 4 games. Holum hasn't seen game action for a few weeks.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Just weird to me seeing a Goalie, as a captain, on the bench...
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

At GRHS you can't be a team captain if you have had a "violation". There were not many candidates left to wear a C or an A.
jeffpv

Post by jeffpv »

GR wins it, 5-4.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I think that beating Eden Prairie in December for the first time ever should help the Injuns mentally. Not that they have a lack of confidence. Boblee said last year that this group isn't afraid to play anyone and you can tell.
I'm sure they will be more than ready once the puck drops tonight. Hoping for another barn burner. That's the good news. Now for the bad news. Lieverman wasn't playing back in December and though Rapids earned the win that night Lievermans absence had to be a factor. I also have to believe Mittlestadt is going to leave it all out there tonight. He came back for these 3 games and it's going to take a big effort from the GR boys to knock them off.

I will go Injuns 5-4 in OT. But I must admit that is more heart than brain on the prediction.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:I think that beating Eden Prairie in December for the first time ever should help the Injuns mentally. Not that they have a lack of confidence. Boblee said last year that this group isn't afraid to play anyone and you can tell.
I'm sure they will be more than ready once the puck drops tonight. Hoping for another barn burner. That's the good news. Now for the bad news. Lieverman wasn't playing back in December and though Rapids earned the win that night Lievermans absence had to be a factor. I also have to believe Mittlestadt is going to leave it all out there tonight. He came back for these 3 games and it's going to take a big effort from the GR boys to knock them off.

I will go Injuns 5-4 in OT. But I must admit that is more heart than brain on the prediction.
Very Good Analysis...EP is still the favorite. They are a deeper team. But hopefully the Halloween Machine...will play a great game! Can't ever underestimate the MMH line! Should be an ESPN "instant classic"
feranged

Post by feranged »

GR offensive punch will have to be the key to keeping EP and Middelstadt playing in d-zone. EP has some nice offense besides CM and EP has the better blueline. Goaltending give the edge to GR just for big game pressure and facing more shots due to dman play.

Have to go with GR to stick with the North, but I do like the EP team and how they play.

Maybe GR can break out the old drum form the 70s and 80s- their crowd was into it yesterday while the Leaf Fans withered when their team fell behind.

Hope its an exciting game
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Okay two things after goals I've noticed all tournament:

1) score and you do the quiver/bow and arrow thing. If you're special you get a down on one knee slide while doing it.

2) gloves off when you skate past your teammates on the bench. Is that new? Is this the first year kids have been doing that?

Ps I have no opinion on how to celebrate. So I'm not complaining. Just something you pick up on during the games
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

The boys are looking good against the Eagles. Anybodies game after 1.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

This is some physical stuff, big boy hockey as the Spuds rest.