Roseau @ STMA 8AA Semi-final February 25

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:00 pm

Roseau
71%
STMA
29%

Total votes: 17

RoseauHockeyFan

Roseau @ STMA 8AA Semi-final February 25

Post by RoseauHockeyFan »

STMA won a close 2-1 game back in mid-January. Who wins this time?
kniven

Re: Roseau @ STMA 8AA Semi-final February 25

Post by kniven »

RoseauHockeyFan wrote:STMA won a close 2-1 game back in mid-January. Who wins this time?
I don't think stma is ready mentally for the big time. Roseau has had their system forever.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

If the Rams stay out of the box they have a good chance.
What is a Green Wave anyway?
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Gotta cheer for my feeder program. Go Rams!
Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy »

Sparlimb wrote:Gotta cheer for my feeder program. Go Rams!
Ankles is calling them the farm team.
RoseauHockeyFan

Roseau goalie

I've heard from a source that Roseau plans to start sophomore goalie Oliver Lee. It'll be just his second varsity start. I hope the best for the young man.
elliott70

Re: Roseau goalie

Post by elliott70 »

RoseauHockeyFan wrote:I've heard from a source that Roseau plans to start sophomore goalie Oliver Lee. It'll be just his second varsity start. I hope the best for the young man.
Why?
RoseauHockeyFan

elliott70 wrote:
RoseauHockeyFan wrote:I've heard from a source that Roseau plans to start sophomore goalie Oliver Lee. It'll be just his second varsity start. I hope the best for the young man.
Why?
Roseau has usually started Woolever, but he was pulled in the quarterfinal against Buffalo when he gave up 4 goals on just 5 shots. He's been a good goalie, who just had an off game in my opinion. He led the team with a .898 save %, but I suppose ultimately the coaches think that Lee gives them the best chance of winning. However, I'm sure both seniors are being told to be ready.

Interestingly, back in 2007 when Roseau won the state championship, they also switched from a senior goalie to a sophomore goalie with the last name Lee during the section tournament. That sophomore goalie was Mike Lee.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Roseau back in finals. They beat MH once this year, could win again?

Maybe Jeff will beat STA?

Then we will think we are back in the 90s

(btw, imagine if Rams still had Helgeson, shame on you Lechner. Talked to Osieki in the ticket line at Braemar today, he is happy to get Ben!)
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

RoseauHockeyFan wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
Why?
Roseau has usually started Woolever, but he was pulled in the quarterfinal against Buffalo when he gave up 4 goals on just 5 shots. He's been a good goalie, who just had an off game in my opinion. He led the team with a .898 save %, but I suppose ultimately the coaches think that Lee gives them the best chance of winning. However, I'm sure both seniors are being told to be ready.

Interestingly, back in 2007 when Roseau won the state championship, they also switched from a senior goalie to a sophomore goalie with the last name Lee during the section tournament. That sophomore goalie was Mike Lee.
How did the young goalie do? I see the Rams won.
blueblood

Roseau

Post by blueblood »

Pulled him very early in first after falling behind 0-2
RoseauHockeyFan

mulefarm wrote:
RoseauHockeyFan wrote:
elliott70 wrote: Why?

How did the young goalie do? I see the Rams won.
I feel for the kid. He lasted less than 2 minutes as STMA scored on their first 2 shots.
BigWorm

Post by BigWorm »

Roseau's first line was very impressive. Love the way the Rams the game; you can see the hours spent playing shinny while watching them play. A few kids have some really nice hands and aren't afraid to make plays. Hopefully Roseau can get better goalie play in the finals and give Moorhead a game.
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

What is St. Mike's timeline for a real arena? There is no way that the semi-final should have been played in that venue. A bad deal when people travel 6 hours and get turned away at the door because the rink has less room than the north rink in Roseau.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I don't think any section semi should be at a home arena, minus a place like Aldrich, where it makes sense.

For someone like STMA, Elk River or the MAC would make perfect sense.
backcheck9

Post by backcheck9 »

From what I have heard, STMA's new rink is scheduled to break ground in August and will be open for the start of the 2018-19 season. I agree with you that there should never be a semi-final game played in that rink ever! It's a joke for HS hockey period. It's one of the many reasons why the hockey community in the 2 towns have been trying for at least 7 years to get a new arena. I also heard a rumor that people were trying to get the game moved over to Rogers arena and STMA's AD vetoed that. I have no idea if that was true or not and if it was true why he wouldn't allow that? They could have easily sold a couple hundred or more tickets to that game with more seating. I personally know of several people that didn't go to the game for that reason.
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

backcheck9 wrote:From what I have heard, STMA's new rink is scheduled to break ground in August and will be open for the start of the 2018-19 season. I agree with you that there should never be a semi-final game played in that rink ever! It's a joke for HS hockey period. It's one of the many reasons why the hockey community in the 2 towns have been trying for at least 7 years to get a new arena. I also heard a rumor that people were trying to get the game moved over to Rogers arena and STMA's AD vetoed that. I have no idea if that was true or not and if it was true why he wouldn't allow that? They could have easily sold a couple hundred or more tickets to that game with more seating. I personally know of several people that didn't go to the game for that reason.
I'm not sure if they tried to change venues but I know Roseau approached STMA's AD about moving the game time to better accommodate Roseau's travel because of poor driving conditions and he steadfastly refused. It would not surprise me at all if he applied the same thing to moving arenas.
Green and White Fan

I will say that Roseau moved the Buffalo game up an hour to accommodate them and I do know that we have played the semi-final game at 2:00 in the afternoon to accommodate travel from the south. STMA won the right to host the game so one can't really bash them for not moving the time. Maybe someday they will have a little more experience at hosting big games and see that sometimes being nice is reciprocated!
woodstickguy

Post by woodstickguy »

Green and White Fan wrote:I will say that Roseau moved the Buffalo game up an hour to accommodate them and I do know that we have played the semi-final game at 2:00 in the afternoon to accommodate travel from the south. STMA won the right to host the game so one can't really bash them for not moving the time. Maybe someday they will have a little more experience at hosting big games and see that sometimes being nice is reciprocated!
The AD also tells the student fans they can't yell sieve because it's mean to single out a player on the other team. He knows nothing about hockey and it was a complete joke having him around the rink. Everyone would have rather played that game anywhere but at our own rink so it's a real shame if we didn't because of him. He's retiring after this year but unfortunately that's one year too late.

Good luck to Roseau on Wednesday - I'll be pulling for you.
Green and White Fan

Hopefully live and learn and it will be better next time. Just one thing though, we would never allow our student body to chant sieve at a goalie either!
woodstickguy

Post by woodstickguy »

Green and White Fan wrote:Hopefully live and learn and it will be better next time. Just one thing though, we would never allow our student body to chant sieve at a goalie either!
I guess the times they are a-changin'.