GRAND RAPIDS AT BEMIDJI

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

THawks by a lot
19%
THawks by a little
38%
or Bemidji
44%

Total votes: 16

hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

From what I hear, it was a Bemidji parent who was the one who rushed across the lobby looking for a fight. Makes sense because it happened in youth hockey too.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

hadenuf wrote:From what I hear, it was a Bemidji parent who was the one who rushed across the lobby looking for a fight. Makes sense because it happened in youth hockey too.
That could be, I did not see it start.
Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy »

elliott70 wrote:
hadenuf wrote:From what I hear, it was a Bemidji parent who was the one who rushed across the lobby looking for a fight. Makes sense because it happened in youth hockey too.
That could be, I did not see it start.
Dads will be Dads. :roll:
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

I haven't been to the rink in many years. Is it the rink attached to the curling club and the bar or do they have another rink?
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

It's the new rink by the High School. Nice facility.
Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy »

hadenuf wrote:It's the new rink by the High School. Nice facility.
Still, I'm guessing the dad who started it hadenuf.

:lol:
zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler »

elliott70 wrote:
east hockey wrote:What happened in the parking lot after the game? Getting a report on Twitter of an incident/brawl.

Lee
Two dads whose boys were going at it thought they should. A couple of punches some pushing, lots of f bombs. Serious for a few minutes than diffused.
Idiots.
kniven

Post by kniven »

zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
east hockey wrote:What happened in the parking lot after the game? Getting a report on Twitter of an incident/brawl.

Lee
Two dads whose boys were going at it thought they should. A couple of punches some pushing, lots of f bombs. Serious for a few minutes than diffused.
Idiots.
I, unfortunately, find myself loosing respect for Grand Rapids boys high school hockey. I tell you this, I'm thinking Hain and McLaughlin will leave high school hockey after this year and not return to the kid and pony show next year. When a program gets to big for its britches, nobody has fun. Moving on to juniors early seems possible with these two amazing D1 players.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

kniven wrote:
elliott70 wrote: Two dads whose boys were going at it thought they should. A couple of punches some pushing, lots of f bombs. Serious for a few minutes than diffused.
Idiots.
I, unfortunately, find myself loosing respect for Grand Rapids boys high school hockey. I tell you this, I'm thinking Hain and McLaughlin will leave high school hockey after this year and not return to the kid and pony show next year. When a program gets to big for its britches, nobody has fun. Moving on to juniors early seems possible with these two amazing D1 players.
Totally agree about losing the respect. Why is this lack of discipline happening?
zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler »

mulefarm wrote:
kniven wrote:
zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote: Idiots.
Totally agree about losing the respect. Why is this lack of discipline happening?
See my post.

:D
boblee

Post by boblee »

kniven wrote:
elliott70 wrote: Two dads whose boys were going at it thought they should. A couple of punches some pushing, lots of f bombs. Serious for a few minutes than diffused.
Idiots.
You're not wrong. It's been very disappointing to see. A lot of it is the parents, unfortunately. They believe their kids are above the rules and the parents (not all, of course) are above respect. I've watched one period of their games this season because of it.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I am kind of bummed out to hear some of these things. I haven't lived in the area for 35 years but always look forward to following the hockey action every year. I catch as many games as I can on video or otherwise on the radio. I also enjoy the insight and opinions on the message board as well. Myself and a good friend, who runs one of the sections in the metro, always look forward to the annual trip to Duluth for semis or finals. We have watched some great hockey on those trips.
Maybe we will have to go somewhere else this year.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:I am kind of bummed out to hear some of these things. I haven't lived in the area for 35 years but always look forward to following the hockey action every year. I catch as many games as I can on video or otherwise on the radio. I also enjoy the insight and opinions on the message board as well. Myself and a good friend, who runs one of the sections in the metro, always look forward to the annual trip to Duluth for semis or finals. We have watched some great hockey on those trips.
Maybe we will have to go somewhere else this year.
Duluth will still be the place to be Grand.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

This Rapids team looks way to undisciplined to do anything this year.

I saw the Rapids- Bemidji game, and it was really bad. Usually one of those losses is fine, but after seeing what East did to them too... it might be a short season for them.
boblee

Post by boblee »

High end talent along doesn't win games. That was proven when Avery Peterson won Mr. Hockey and Shep won the Brimsek and Rapids got housed in the section semis.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

What's the solution? Have made coaching 3 coaching changes the past few years. Same problems?
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

mulefarm wrote:What's the solution? Have made coaching 3 coaching changes the past few years. Same problems?
Bring back Buzz.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

To coach or ref?
norcon

Post by norcon »

Accountability and supervision are major issues at all levels of hockey in Rapids. No doubt parents are a big part of the problem but you can also point at the coaches as well. Go hang out at the IRA and watch all the kids running around, getting into things, unsupervised. The place is a glorified daycare center!
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

mulefarm wrote:To coach or ref?
If he could do both I like their chances.
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

Some of this may be a bit over-the-top and piling-on.

Congratulations to Bemidji for a fine game. They came out skating with intensity and clearly on a mission. Rapids appeared flat and lacked energy.

However, to suggest Rapids players were thugs on the ice is simply not in-line with how the game was played. Bemidji was not a group of choirboys out there. It was a chippy game going both ways. Bemidji drew 10 penalties during the game compared to Rapids 8.

Timing was unfortunate for Rapids. The 1st period 5-on-3 was the result of McLaughlin getting called for a slash after the whistle, apparently because he whacked a Bemidji player in retaliation for a cross-check into the boards. It was a dumb penalty and showed lack of discipline. However, at the end of the play, I think like McLaughlin, I was looking for the ref to raise an arm against the Bemidji player, but no such call.

There is some bad blood between these teams. I recall two years ago was also a chippy match in Bemidji. Two summers ago they played a very chippy match at the IRA in Grand Rapids. Throw-in the intense game at State last year and you have a recipe for emotions getting elevated.

If Bemidji is at the X in March, I will be rooting for them against any of the not northern Minnesota teams. I just would have preferred a cleaner game this past Tuesday, both ways.

Right now, I do not see any problems for Rapids from the Bemidji game, which the coaches can't rein-in. Yes, more self-control is needed. They need a reminder that winning is the best revenge against your rival or someone you consider chippy. But, this game was not a behavior apocalypse providing evidence of a systematic problem throughout the entire Grand Rapids hockey culture.

As for two dads getting in a fight after the game...that is nuts. But, both ways, again.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

Nice post fan....it takes two to tango.
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

Nice post fan....it takes two to tango.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

hadenuf wrote:Nice post fan....it takes two to tango.
So you have to post it twice.
:lol:

It definitely wasn't one sided.

When I am talking about discipline, I am not talking so much about the stupid penalties although that fits in, I am referring to playing within the system. Trying to be the star everyone tells them they are is not disciplined. I believe others have said it before but team first. Name on the front of the jersey type thing.
That, to a degree, has been Bemidji's problem this year and the coaches have been addressing it and it appears to be corrected. We will see today.
It appeared to be part GRapids problem, also.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

I always was told the post game fight between 2 parents was a cherished tradition. Each team picks their drunkest most belligerent fan and the 2 go at it verbally for 5-10 minutes than physically for 10-20 seconds or whoever falls to the ground first loses. Winner gets a wooden axe and bragging rights for the year! If I have been misled let's make this year the first annual! It appears from the post fight commentary Drunk/Belligerent Bemidji parent has won bragging rights for 2017 and gets to ride in the 4th of July parade float(must be drunk of course). The real question is does the reigning champion get an auto bid to next years match?