Duluth East at Elk River - Top Seed Championship, Feb 4 3:00

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

This was a big game for ER, it was a 1 goal game for most of it but East never really threatened to score except for the shorty after ER was standing around after they thought they scored. As an eternal pessimist I was waiting for East to tie it up on their next shot but they never threatened. ER just dominated has the game went on. It appears to be different then the last couple of years when East came down to ER and tied them in Jaremko's senior year and pounded the Elks in the regular season last year. Have to prove it in the playoffs but I will take my chances with Perbix and Maas patrolling the back end. Very disciplined play by ER, 0 penalties and only maybe 1 that could have been called.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Slammer wrote:No doubt, the Elks looked good today. They have enough weapons to make a run.

But... Unfortunately, I can't believe they will come out of the section until they do. Until Mike Randolph retires, East will always be the favorite. That's just the way she goes.
Any more crowd estimates Slammer :D
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

alcloseshaver wrote:This was a big game for ER, it was a 1 goal game for most of it but East never really threatened to score except for the shorty after ER was standing around after they thought they scored. As an eternal pessimist I was waiting for East to tie it up on their next shot but they never threatened. ER just dominated has the game went on. It appears to be different then the last couple of years when East came down to ER and tied them in Jaremko's senior year and pounded the Elks in the regular season last year. Have to prove it in the playoffs but I will take my chances with Perbix and Maas patrolling the back end. Very disciplined play by ER, 0 penalties and only maybe 1 that could have been called.
Lots of credit to the Elks for their discipline and steadiness...they just look solid from top the bottom and didn't let East get under their skin or let up, even after the non-goal followed by East's shorty. They're the somewhat rare sort of team that can outmatch East's steady grinding and pressure. Those two D-I d-men, who scored the first two goals, can separate them from a lot of teams. They clearly deserve the top seed in 7AA.

The Hounds only had some rare spurts where they to their game, and when your 3rd line is generating your best chances, that's generally not great. The top group was out of sorts, often trying to do too much, and the team didn't get nearly enough rubber on Meyers to take advantage of one of the edges they should have had. Not the sort of result they couldn't turn around in a rematch, but they just didn't have enough possession in this one to do what they needed to do, and will have to go the hard way through 7AA.

Still, a fun day in Elkland. Thanks to Al and the crowd at the Sunshine Depot for making it a quality afternoon. :)
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

The Depot is your ER hockey headquarters, keep up the good work Karl, Danny and Tony. Tony must have an all access pass to the locker room prior to games :shock:
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

karl(east) wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:This was a big game for ER, it was a 1 goal game for most of it but East never really threatened to score except for the shorty after ER was standing around after they thought they scored. As an eternal pessimist I was waiting for East to tie it up on their next shot but they never threatened. ER just dominated has the game went on. It appears to be different then the last couple of years when East came down to ER and tied them in Jaremko's senior year and pounded the Elks in the regular season last year. Have to prove it in the playoffs but I will take my chances with Perbix and Maas patrolling the back end. Very disciplined play by ER, 0 penalties and only maybe 1 that could have been called.
Lots of credit to the Elks for their discipline and steadiness...they just look solid from top the bottom and didn't let East get under their skin or let up, even after the non-goal followed by East's shorty. They're the somewhat rare sort of team that can outmatch East's steady grinding and pressure. Those two D-I d-men, who scored the first two goals, can separate them from a lot of teams. They clearly deserve the top seed in 7AA.

The Hounds only had some rare spurts where they to their game, and when your 3rd line is generating your best chances, that's generally not great. The top group was out of sorts, often trying to do too much, and the team didn't get nearly enough rubber on Meyers to take advantage of one of the edges they should have had. Not the sort of result they couldn't turn around in a rematch, but they just didn't have enough possession in this one to do what they needed to do, and will have to go the hard way through 7AA.

Still, a fun day in Elkland. Thanks to Al and the crowd at the Sunshine Depot for making it a quality afternoon. :)
Could be a home and home series Karl, if the seeds hold up :P