Duluth East at Elk River - Top Seed Championship, Feb 4 3:00

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

alcloseshaver wrote:
hockey59 wrote:
karl(east) wrote: East leads the all-time series 17-15-1, though they are 8-1-1 in the last ten and 8-1 in sections (7 of those in the last 8 years). As noted last year, it's been a very streaky rivalry, with the Elks winning the early 90s games, East taking over in the mid-90s, the Elks going on a long run of success from 99 to the mid-00s, and East owning ever since.

The top lines should match up well; the Elks have the more prolific 2nd line, but East's 3rd line is more productive than ER's. ER has those two senior D-I defensemen, but East is deeper on the blueprint e line, rolling 6 D comfortably. So, I'd guess this came will come down to:

1. Goaltending
2. Coaching (biggest test to date for the new ER staff)
3. The mental game...ER can't have the wheels fall off like they did at Amsoil last year.

Looking forward to the road trip down. :)
I think winning this game is crucial for ER, more so than for DE, considering ER's unfortunate run of luck at Amsoil the past 5 years. ER beat Blaine 5-3 Thursday, but Jax Murray was pointless, which leads me to believe he still has some type of health issue, because when healthy he's the best finisher on their team. Now I differ with Karl in that having 2 D1 committed Senior D makes you the stronger team on the blue line, although I do think Lamaster & Paine are a strong pairing. This DE team lacks SENIOR stars, except perhaps Meirhoff, and that's a factor in these type of games and in sections. ER is a veteran team with Horn, Michelas & Murray all being seniors and a D1 committed soph in JP. So playing at home I'll give the edge to ER as long as their goalie (likely Meyers) has a strong game between the pipes.
where does Karl give the edge on D to ER??
He didn't, I read it as him saying it's a wash.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

east hockey wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:
kniven wrote: I think Elk River will take the Hounds in this one. Should be a packed house for this one. Coach Randolph will have Duluth East well prepared though.
Heard he has been focusing on Superior most of the week. Just saying.
I was a little concerned about East playing Superior last night, thinking the Hounds would be looking past that game. 8-1 East. Guess not. :)

Elks by 3.

Lee
I was at the game and the Spartans held the puck way too long as if they were still playing a WI team (like New Richmond) tried to carry the puck and got stripped and got pinned in their zone by DE forechecking. In a word, it was ugly, but next year they will be much improved as they have a ton of sophomores & juniors getting experience this year.
kniven

Post by kniven »

alcloseshaver wrote:
east hockey wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:Heard he has been focusing on Superior most of the week. Just saying.
I was a little concerned about East playing Superior last night, thinking the Hounds would be looking past that game. 8-1 East. Guess not. :)

Elks by 3.

Lee
when did soup town get so bad?
There just having a down year. They actually won the state championship in Wisconsin last year. Teams not called Duluth East and Hermantown have to rebuild. Just reloaded every year is uncommon for non-metro teams.
kniven

Post by kniven »

kniven wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:
east hockey wrote: I was a little concerned about East playing Superior last night, thinking the Hounds would be looking past that game. 8-1 East. Guess not. :)

Elks by 3.

Lee
There just having a down year. They actually won the state championship in Wisconsin last year. Teams not called Duluth East and Hermantown have to rebuild. Just reloading every year is uncommon for non-metro teams.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

kniven wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:
east hockey wrote: I was a little concerned about East playing Superior last night, thinking the Hounds would be looking past that game. 8-1 East. Guess not. :)

Elks by 3.

Lee
There just having a down year. They actually won the state championship in Wisconsin last year. Teams not called Duluth East and Hermantown have to rebuild. Just reloaded every year is uncommon for non-metro teams.
Their days of dominating WI High School Hockey are probably over after they made the age change this year to USA hockey cutoffs. The reason they were so good is they grew up battling MN teams on even terms. Now they're getting squashed by them. And instead of having their 9th graders battling MN Bantam A and AA teams, now they're going to be stuck in the JV wasteland. I realize they want to play youth playoffs in WI so not saying it's a bad choice, but it will negatively affect their High School team moving forward. They do have a really good crop of 03's and 04's coming up though, if they don't end up at Hermantown or Marshall.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

alcloseshaver wrote:
east hockey wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:Heard he has been focusing on Superior most of the week. Just saying.

Elks by 3.

Lee
They're not really that bad, being ranked #10 in Wisconsin. Not nearly the best or worst team Superior has had. The SOG were relatively close, but East made the best of their chances and limited the Spartans.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

hockey59 wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:
hockey59 wrote: I think winning this game is crucial for ER, more so than for DE, considering ER's unfortunate run of luck at Amsoil the past 5 years. ER beat Blaine 5-3 Thursday, but Jax Murray was pointless, which leads me to believe he still has some type of health issue, because when healthy he's the best finisher on their team. Now I differ with Karl in that having 2 D1 committed Senior D makes you the stronger team on the blue line, although I do think Lamaster & Paine are a strong pairing. This DE team lacks SENIOR stars, except perhaps Meirhoff, and that's a factor in these type of games and in sections. ER is a veteran team with Horn, Michelas & Murray all being seniors and a D1 committed soph in JP. So playing at home I'll give the edge to ER as long as their goalie (likely Meyers) has a strong game between the pipes.
where does Karl give the edge on D to ER??
He didn't, I read it as him saying it's a wash.
"now I differ"...
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Arena is half empty. Very embarrassing showing for the Elk River Community- one of the top games of the year. Not sure if ER has that kind of support that helps propel players to get to state.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Slammer wrote:Arena is half empty. Very embarrassing showing for the Elk River Community- one of the top games of the year. Not sure if ER has that kind of support that helps propel players to get to state.
It's Saturday afternoon. Youth teams are probably all playing somewhere.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Slammer wrote:Arena is half empty. Very embarrassing showing for the Elk River Community- one of the top games of the year. Not sure if ER has that kind of support that helps propel players to get to state.
Maybe half full......
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Score after one period?
CB00

Post by CB00 »

Elliott, not sure what rink you were at. Arena full, standing room. . 4-1 ER final. Hounds not in the game. Outclassed today.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

CB00 wrote:Elliott, not sure what rink you were at. Arena full, standing room. . 4-1 ER final. Hounds not in the game. Outclassed today.
Not there.
Previous post said half empty, I put it in a different perspective.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Biggest crowd in years.
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

Not sure what game you were at. Bleachers were full as was the railing. Only section that wasn't full was visitors.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Who won the JV game?
CB00

Post by CB00 »

ER 4 East 1 Both Varsity and JV
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

mulefarm wrote:Who won the JV game?
ER 4-1 with EN
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

N Perbix was best player on the ice today
hermantown2000

Post by hermantown2000 »

Impressive win by the Elks but can they beat the Greyhounds when it matters most at Amsoil in several weeks? You know Randolph will have his team ready come playoff time.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

hermantown2000 wrote:Impressive win by the Elks but can they beat the Greyhounds when it matters most at Amsoil in several weeks? You know Randolph will have his team ready come playoff time.
this was a playoff type game, 1 seed is a big deal this year.
kniven

Post by kniven »

alcloseshaver wrote:
hermantown2000 wrote:Impressive win by the Elks but can they beat the Greyhounds when it matters most at Amsoil in several weeks? You know Randolph will have his team ready come playoff time.
Why is that?
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

No doubt, the Elks looked good today. They have enough weapons to make a run.

But... Unfortunately, I can't believe they will come out of the section until they do. Until Mike Randolph retires, East will always be the favorite. That's just the way she goes.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

MWS coach wrote:N Perbix was best player on the ice today
I was at the game. Big crowd with a pretty good Duluth contingent. Nick Perbix is a Mr Hockey finalist IHO and before anyone jumps on my case I believe CM will win Mr Hockey and rightly so
Last edited by WarmUpTheBus on Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

alcloseshaver wrote:
We've seen this movie too many times before. You can't take anything away from an East regular season game. They mean nothing.