Class A Rankings 12-11-16

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Where should Breck be ranked?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:54 pm

43%
36%
14%
7%

Total votes: 14

TheMNhockey1

Post by TheMNhockey1 »

twincitiespuckmind wrote: It begs to question, regardless of class, are they the best team in the state?
Being the best team in their section is up for debate
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

twincitiespuckmind wrote:Delano beat Buffalo last night, 8-2. They are averaging over 8 games per game through 5 games. It begs to question, regardless of class, are they the best team in the state?
:lol:
The U invented swagger.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:5 Hibbing
1 Greenway

Obviously the rankings of these 2 teams are going to change this week? Is Hibbing a top 5 team because of this? Is Greenway not a top 10 teams because of this? Should they both be in the 8-10 range?
Hibbing 5-9, Greenway 8-12, IMO, having watched this game and also seen Hermantown, Breck, and Delano.
Who have you seen them play and what do you think of them?
Saw Hermantown vs. Lakeville South. I was a little underwhelmed, but still think they're the best team in Class A. If and when they get the offense rolling, they'll have a combination of depth and star power that no one else in the class has. Maybe not quite as deep as last year, especially on D, though they do have one star back there in Samberg.

Saw Delano and Breck when they played each other. Delano's top line is awesome, as has been mentioned elsewhere. Potential to have depth, if some of the younger kids come along. The defense had some struggles on the breakout, and is their weakness. Goaltending was strong.

Breck had good depth and balance. They controlled long stretches of the Delano game, which was closer than the score made it look...an early goal or two and that one is an entirely different game. They're probably the deepest on defense of these three. Finishing was an issue--a lot of decent players, but they don't have the star power of Hermantown or Delano.
Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint »

karl(east) wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:
karl(east) wrote: Hibbing 5-9, Greenway 8-12, IMO, having watched this game and also seen Hermantown, Breck, and Delano.
Who have you seen them play and what do you think of them?
Saw Hermantown vs. Lakeville South. I was a little underwhelmed, but still think they're the best team in Class A. If and when they get the offense rolling, they'll have a combination of depth and star power that no one else in the class has. Maybe not quite as deep as last year, especially on D, though they do have one star back there in Samberg.

Saw Delano and Breck when they played each other. Delano's top line is awesome, as has been mentioned elsewhere. Potential to have depth, if some of the younger kids come along. The defense had some struggles on the breakout, and is their weakness. Goaltending was strong.

Breck had good depth and balance. They controlled long stretches of the Delano game, which was closer than the score made it look...an early goal or two and that one is an entirely different game. They're probably the deepest on defense of these three. Finishing was an issue--a lot of decent players, but they don't have the star power of Hermantown or Delano.
I always get nervous when somebody says that they have a great first line who can set the place on fire. And then says that they think they can give Hermantown a run. I am sure they are a great line, the problem is that Hermantown's D is probably stacked with D1 guys again (I have not checked and have to admit that I have not been to a game of theirs yet this year so I am assuming) that will shut that first line down. Then the question becomes how good are your 2nd and 3rd lines? I suspect that having watched Hermantown for a few years that their 2nd and 3 lines are probably better. So your real questions are, how good is your goaltender? He is gonna see more rubber headed for his nose than a trained circus seal. If he is not rock solid and does not have a hard enough head to withstand getting scored on a few times you are in trouble. How about your D? Have a few? You are going to need them because the other thing about Hermantown's forwards is that they are in shape and they will work you hard until the final horn sounds.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Wet Paint wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:Who have you seen them play and what do you think of them?

I always get nervous when somebody says that they have a great first line who can set the place on fire. And then says that they think they can give Hermantown a run. I am sure they are a great line, the problem is that Hermantown's D is probably stacked with D1 guys again (I have not checked and have to admit that I have not been to a game of theirs yet this year so I am assuming) that will shut that first line down. Then the question becomes how good are your 2nd and 3rd lines? I suspect that having watched Hermantown for a few years that their 2nd and 3 lines are probably better. So your real questions are, how good is your goaltender? He is gonna see more rubber headed for his nose than a trained circus seal. If he is not rock solid and does not have a hard enough head to withstand getting scored on a few times you are in trouble. How about your D? Have a few? You are going to need them because the other thing about Hermantown's forwards is that they are in shape and they will work you hard until the final horn sounds.
When did I say I think Delano could give Hermantown a run?

They probably have a better shot than anyone did last year, and as I said, Hermantown's depth this year is not quite was it has been the past two or three. But I'm not going to go any further than that quite yet.
Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint »

karl(east) wrote:
Wet Paint wrote:
karl(east) wrote: Saw Hermantown vs. Lakeville South. I was a little underwhelmed, but still think they're the best team in Class A. If and when they get the offense rolling, they'll have a combination of depth and star power that no one else in the class has. Maybe not quite as deep as last year, especially on D, though they do have one star back there in Samberg.

They probably have a better shot than anyone did last year, and as I said, Hermantown's depth this year is not quite was it has been the past two or three. But I'm not going to go any further than that quite yet.
As I posted that response I get the feeling like I needed to take another look at it and of course I did not. I did not (and do not) mean to imply that you are saying that Delano could give Hermantown a run. I probably should have deleted that post and then replied to one of the people earlier in the thread who seem to think that based on what they are seeing they think that Delano is truly one of the top teams in the state. They might be, but I am betting that the points that I made in my post will show up in a game against Hermantown.

I am sorry that I made it look like you said something you didn't.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

Wet Paint wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
Wet Paint wrote: I always get nervous when somebody says that they have a great first line who can set the place on fire. And then says that they think they can give Hermantown a run. I am sure they are a great line, the problem is that Hermantown's D is probably stacked with D1 guys again (I have not checked and have to admit that I have not been to a game of theirs yet this year so I am assuming) that will shut that first line down. Then the question becomes how good are your 2nd and 3rd lines? I suspect that having watched Hermantown for a few years that their 2nd and 3 lines are probably better. So your real questions are, how good is your goaltender? He is gonna see more rubber headed for his nose than a trained circus seal. If he is not rock solid and does not have a hard enough head to withstand getting scored on a few times you are in trouble. How about your D? Have a few? You are going to need them because the other thing about Hermantown's forwards is that they are in shape and they will work you hard until the final horn sounds.

As I posted that response I get the feeling like I needed to take another look at it and of course I did not. I did not (and do not) mean to imply that you are saying that Delano could give Hermantown a run. I probably should have deleted that post and then replied to one of the people earlier in the thread who seem to think that based on what they are seeing they think that Delano is truly one of the top teams in the state. They might be, but I am betting that the points that I made in my post will show up in a game against Hermantown.

2-3 years is generous. I'd say not as deep as they have been over the past 7 years. From 2010 to this year, I would say this year would rank 8th in depth on D.
stromboli

Post by stromboli »

pekyman wrote:
Wet Paint wrote:
karl(east) wrote: When did I say I think Delano could give Hermantown a run?

2-3 years is generous. I'd say not as deep as they have been over the past 7 years. From 2010 to this year, I would say this year would rank 8th in depth on D.
So you're saying there's a chance...
Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint »

pekyman wrote:
Wet Paint wrote:

I will have to trust you there as I have not really watched them this year. I was pretty much basing my thoughts on the fact that previous actions tend to predict future events and previously Hermantown's D was just flat out nasty when it came to getting down into the zone and to their goalies.
rainier

Post by rainier »

pekyman wrote:
Wet Paint wrote:

I know this will come as a surprise, but I disagree, peky. The 13-14 Hawk team's best two defenseman were Aamodt and E. Gotz, who were both sophomores, and no other stud defenseman (Pionk had left for USHL). This year's team also has two highly skilled d sophomores in D. Gotz and Peterson, but then they also have UMD commit Samberg, who is fantastic. I'd take this year's crew over that 13-14 group any day.

Either way, I have a hard time seeing Delano beating Hermantown. The Hawks have two excellent lines, so they should be able to have one of the two out there against Delano's studs for the vast majority of the game. Not to mention the Hawks' top two lines would put tremendous pressure on the Delano defensemen, forcing the Delano big guns to expend a lot of effort defensively.

I think if Delano is to beat Hermantown, it would take a stellar goaltending performance and some special teams magic, much like their win over Breck. We may just find out on the 28th if Delano beats Cloquet and Herm beats Bemidji in the Hilltopper Classic.
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote:
Wet Paint wrote: As I posted that response I get the feeling like I needed to take another look at it and of course I did not. I did not (and do not) mean to imply that you are saying that Delano could give Hermantown a run. I probably should have deleted that post and then replied to one of the people earlier in the thread who seem to think that based on what they are seeing they think that Delano is truly one of the top teams in the state. They might be, but I am betting that the points that I made in my post will show up in a game against Hermantown.

I know this will come as a surprise, but I disagree, peky. The 13-14 Hawk team's best two defenseman were Aamodt and E. Gotz, who were both sophomores, and no other stud defenseman (Pionk had left for USHL). This year's team also has two highly skilled d sophomores in D. Gotz and Peterson, but then they also have UMD commit Samberg, who is fantastic. I'd take this year's crew over that 13-14 group any day.

Either way, I have a hard time seeing Delano beating Hermantown. The Hawks have two excellent lines, so they should be able to have one of the two out there against Delano's studs for the vast majority of the game. Not to mention the Hawks' top two lines would put tremendous pressure on the Delano defensemen, forcing the Delano big guns to expend a lot of effort defensively.

I think if Delano is to beat Hermantown, it would take a stellar goaltending performance and some special teams magic, much like their win over Breck. We may just find out on the 28th if Delano beats Cloquet and Herm beats Bemidji in the Hilltopper Classic.
Peterson is a great athlete (3 sport letterman) but has little experience at D, but has good size and a smart player. He will just get better and better every game.

(And his grandfather is a great guy.) (Its not me.)
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Since it was brought up, I thought I'd Google the Hilltopper Classic:
http://www.marslakeview.com/download/2016HHC.pdf

This is very different than the 4 MN teams and 4 WI teams of the last few years. Anyone know about the change?
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

elliott70 wrote:
rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote: 2-3 years is generous. I'd say not as deep as they have been over the past 7 years. From 2010 to this year, I would say this year would rank 8th in depth on D.

Peterson is a great athlete (3 sport letterman) but has little experience at D, but has good size and a smart player. He will just get better and better every game.

(And his grandfather is a great guy.) (Its not me.)
Where is Peterson from and which sports does he play? I know Gotz is from Hibbing and Sandberg from Proctor. Who is their 4th D man?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Jeffy95 wrote: Where is Peterson from and which sports does he play? I know Gotz is from Hibbing and Sandberg from Proctor. Who is their 4th D man?
Peterson is from Hermantown.
He may have been born in Woodbury as that is where his parents lived prior to moving to Hermantown, but originally they are from International Falls. I am pretty sure Hermantown is the only school he has attended.

He played football this fall for the Hawks varsity as a running back, linebacker and special teams. He passed on playing in the elite league, but did do some Fall hockey with some sort of AAA team. He also plays baseball as a shortstop.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote:
Wet Paint wrote: As I posted that response I get the feeling like I needed to take another look at it and of course I did not. I did not (and do not) mean to imply that you are saying that Delano could give Hermantown a run. I probably should have deleted that post and then replied to one of the people earlier in the thread who seem to think that based on what they are seeing they think that Delano is truly one of the top teams in the state. They might be, but I am betting that the points that I made in my post will show up in a game against Hermantown.

Close, but I agree. 7th then.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

Wet Paint wrote:
pekyman wrote:

I will have to trust you there as I have not really watched them this year. I was pretty much basing my thoughts on the fact that previous actions tend to predict future events and previously Hermantown's D was just flat out nasty when it came to getting down into the zone and to their goalies.
I think that comes from all the pucks the D eat in practice. They don't use the soft spongy ones. :lol: