Marshall 3A hockey

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BP

Post by BP »

Teak wrote:Not a good week for Marshall last week. Two losses and a single win in the Schwan Cup Open Division.

Beat Simley 3-2 (where is that?)
Lost to Chaska 6-0 and Spring Lake Park 5-2.
Would probably beat those three schools in most sports, but not ice hockey.

Okay, Simley is in Inver Grove Heights, a watershed for Hill-Murray. Figures.

Up this week a home game against Willmar.

FYI---Simley doesn't lose anyone to Hill and hasn't in a while. If they lose anyone, it's to South St. Paul.
andovercw

Post by andovercw »

Teak: "Would probably beat those three schools in most sports, but not ice hockey." SLP was state runner up in 5A football. Maybe do a little research before making stupid statements.
InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 »

andovercw wrote:Teak: "Would probably beat those three schools in most sports, but not ice hockey." SLP was state runner up in 5A football. Maybe do a little research before making stupid statements.
Marshall was also in the Semi's of State this year in 4A, don't think it was that outlandish of a statement.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

andovercw wrote:Teak: "Would probably beat those three schools in most sports, but not ice hockey." SLP was state runner up in 5A football. Maybe do a little research before making stupid statements.
And Marshall's football team lost in the state semi's in 3A.
I think he was saying that they do have good athletes but, hockey is not as prominent in that part of the state, yet.

So, maybe not a totally stupid statement.

And, yes, SLP and Andover had good football teams this past season.
andovercw

Post by andovercw »

I could be wrong but I read it as Marshall would beat those 3 schools (chaska,simley,slp) in all sports but hockey. I disagree, especially in football. So I guess it is an inaccurate statement to me (more PC worded).
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

andovercw wrote:I could be wrong but I read it as Marshall would beat those 3 schools (chaska,simley,slp) in all sports but hockey. I disagree, especially in football. So I guess it is an inaccurate statement to me (more PC worded).
I think he said Marshall would PROBABLY beat those THREE schools in MOST sports.
I cannot speak for him but having read most things he has posted I do not think he was disrespecting their (SLP) football team. Just sticking up for their athletes.
A proud Dad, alumni or community member.
InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 »

andovercw wrote:I could be wrong but I read it as Marshall would beat those 3 schools (chaska,simley,slp) in all sports but hockey. I disagree, especially in football. So I guess it is an inaccurate statement to me (more PC worded).
Correct, you did read it wrong, says PROBABLY in MOST sports, as Elliot pointed out. But go ahead and pick on Football, how about baseball? basketball?
andovercw

Post by andovercw »

I honestly took it as more of a slight to the Marshall hockey team, which I didn't necessarily care for. Give them a couple years with their 2 new ice rinks, I think they will be much improved. It's hard to compete in hockey with the metro and their year round ice and 10 min commutes to competition.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

andovercw wrote:I honestly took it as more of a slight to the Marshall hockey team, which I didn't necessarily care for. Give them a couple years with their 2 new ice rinks, I think they will be much improved. It's hard to compete in hockey with the metro and their year round ice and 10 min commutes to competition.

That's very true.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Nothing wrong about saying Marshall would probably beat those schools, they both have good years in different sports on any given year. There is no evidence or history to show that SLP is classes and levels above Marshall when it comes to competing. Just a fan having higher hopes for Marshall than he's getting. I can assure you Teak doesn't like putting other schools down and disrespect to SLP wasn't his goal here.
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration
Teak

Post by Teak »

GoldyGopher wrote:
Teak wrote:Not a good week for Marshall last week. Two losses and a single win in the Schwan Cup Open Division.

Chaska and SLP are both AA schools. Neither are necessarily a bad loss, both have some good wins to their resume. Spring Lake park shares a rink with Blaine and are just a couple years off a state tournament appearance. I definitely wouldn't look too much into losing to them at somewhat of a home rink.
You're certainly correct here. I didn't research what class Chaska and Spring Lake Park are but finally looked at enrollments. Both top 1,200 students so that makes them around 50% larger than Marshall's (~800).

My understanding is that Marshall was to have been AA but they appealed since the coops which would drive their enrollments into AA-land did not supply any players. Anyone smarter than me care to confirm that?

FWIW, Marshall consistently produces a good boy's gridiron team and girl's volleyball squad. I wasn't dissing Spring Lake Park; just don't pay much attention to gridiron.
Teak

Post by Teak »

:lol:
Teak

Post by Teak »

Marshall beat Willmar 4-0 last night in the new Red Baron arena. It wasn't too long ago I was used to seeing the reverse results. Not sure if that means Marshall is getting better or if Willmar is down from what they used to be. I spent a couple of years working in Willmar and watched them quite often. My understanding is that they may be lacking in the numbers at youth levels relative to the past. Anyone smarter than me care to confirm?

One of my work colleagues is a former Marshall hockey player. His assessments on Marshall are pretty much the same as mine. There is some intangible thing that separates schools rich in hockey history from those which are still fairly new to the game (Section 3A). We try to boil it down to aggressiveness or moving the feet rather than gliding, but it might also simply be "hockey sense", of knowing where to be at the right time. That comes from playing a LOT and playing hockey most of the year. I suspect that helps Metro kids given their year-round ice and off-season workouts. Marshall still has 2- and 3-sport players.

The frosh defenseman, Kaleb Welvaert, looks like a good prospect to me. He isn't big, but he has good hockey sense. Last night he sent one of his forwards free on a nice breakaway with a killer pass. He plays heads-up which helps him see who is open (rather than just dumping towards the boards).
BP

Post by BP »

Teak wrote:Marshall beat Willmar 4-0 last night in the new Red Baron arena. It wasn't too long ago I was used to seeing the reverse results. Not sure if that means Marshall is getting better or if Willmar is down from what they used to be. I spent a couple of years working in Willmar and watched them quite often. My understanding is that they may be lacking in the numbers at youth levels relative to the past. Anyone smarter than me care to confirm?

One of my work colleagues is a former Marshall hockey player. His assessments on Marshall are pretty much the same as mine. There is some intangible thing that separates schools rich in hockey history from those which are still fairly new to the game (Section 3A). We try to boil it down to aggressiveness or moving the feet rather than gliding, but it might also simply be "hockey sense", of knowing where to be at the right time. That comes from playing a LOT and playing hockey most of the year. I suspect that helps Metro kids given their year-round ice and off-season workouts. Marshall still has 2- and 3-sport players.

The frosh defenseman, Kaleb Welvaert, looks like a good prospect to me. He isn't big, but he has good hockey sense. Last night he sent one of his forwards free on a nice breakaway with a killer pass. He plays heads-up which helps him see who is open (rather than just dumping towards the boards).
Willmar is 1-8 and awful this year. Good for Marshall though and hope they can build into a power with their new rink!
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Teak wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:

Chaska and SLP are both AA schools. Neither are necessarily a bad loss, both have some good wins to their resume. Spring Lake park shares a rink with Blaine and are just a couple years off a state tournament appearance. I definitely wouldn't look too much into losing to them at somewhat of a home rink.
You're certainly correct here. I didn't research what class Chaska and Spring Lake Park are but finally looked at enrollments. Both top 1,200 students so that makes them around 50% larger than Marshall's (~800).

My understanding is that Marshall was to have been AA but they appealed since the coops which would drive their enrollments into AA-land did not supply any players. Anyone smarter than me care to confirm that?

FWIW, Marshall consistently produces a good boy's gridiron team and girl's volleyball squad. I wasn't dissing Spring Lake Park; just don't pay much attention to gridiron.
Not sure about them having to be AA this year. I know 2-3 years ago when they re-drew sections and what not they had Marshall drawn up as a AA team and that it was due to co-ops. My guess is without knowing for sure that if they didn't cut the co-ops they threatened to and MSHSL allowed them to stay in A. Can't imagine those co-ops are feeding too many players onto the Tigers team anyways. Definitely not a great Marshall hockey mind so maybe these co-ops are not longer playing under the Marshall Tigers flag.

See it with plenty of schools now that there are ways around moving to AA. There is a 7 page thread on Monticello moving down if anyone needs to read more into it.
Teak

Post by Teak »

I got to see Marshall beat Worthington 12-1 last night. Good to see that Worthington had two complete lines (10 skaters) so that no one other than the goalie had to play the entire game. I was pulling for them to score a goal and they did in the final minute on a 2-on-1 breakaway.

This frosh defenseman, Kaleb Welvaert, is looking better every time I see him play. He had 4 assists last night which puts him on 18 points (6g, 12a) for 15 games this season so far and makes him third in scoring on the squad.

Worthington did get their second win of the season last Saturday, beating Morris/Benson 3-2 up in Benson.
TrojanHockeyFan

Post by TrojanHockeyFan »

Teak wrote:I got to see Marshall beat Worthington 12-1 last night. Good to see that Worthington had two complete lines (10 skaters) so that no one other than the goalie had to play the entire game. I was pulling for them to score a goal and they did in the final minute on a 2-on-1 breakaway.

This frosh defenseman, Kaleb Welvaert, is looking better every time I see him play. He had 4 assists last night which puts him on 18 points (6g, 12a) for 15 games this season so far and makes him third in scoring on the squad.

Worthington did get their second win of the season last Saturday, beating Morris/Benson 3-2 up in Benson.
Was at the game as well last night - what an enviable facility for high school hockey. With Marshall's senior class outnumbering Worthington's entire team, the score wasn't much in doubt. Worthington was missing three skaters last night - two with season ending injuries suffered earlier and one kid who got a game misconduct on Saturday vs. MBA. Agree that the Welvaert kid is a nice player. #6 for Marshall is very opportunistic. Marshall's coach kept it classy in the third period and obviously gave some of his younger kids some ice time, which we appreciated due to the most productive kids on our team right now being sophomores. Worthington plays Fairmont at home on Thursday and is looking forward to attempting to avenge the 4-3 loss from December, and to try to climb out of the Big South cellar. It's another "learning experience" for the kids this year but at least they've tasted victory a couple of times and they'll have a realistic chance for a couple more before the end of the year. For this group five wins would be a significant accomplishment. Looking for continued improvement and a full roster next season, hopefully.
formersection3Afan

Post by formersection3Afan »

TrojanHockeyFan wrote:
Teak wrote:I got to see Marshall beat Worthington 12-1 last night. Good to see that Worthington had two complete lines (10 skaters) so that no one other than the goalie had to play the entire game. I was pulling for them to score a goal and they did in the final minute on a 2-on-1 breakaway.

Was at the game as well last night - what an enviable facility for high school hockey. With Marshall's senior class outnumbering Worthington's entire team, the score wasn't much in doubt. Worthington was missing three skaters last night - two with season ending injuries suffered earlier and one kid who got a game misconduct on Saturday vs. MBA. Agree that the Welvaert kid is a nice player. #6 for Marshall is very opportunistic. Marshall's coach kept it classy in the third period and obviously gave some of his younger kids some ice time, which we appreciated due to the most productive kids on our team right now being sophomores. Worthington plays Fairmont at home on Thursday and is looking forward to attempting to avenge the 4-3 loss from December, and to try to climb out of the Big South cellar. It's another "learning experience" for the kids this year but at least they've tasted victory a couple of times and they'll have a realistic chance for a couple more before the end of the year. For this group five wins would be a significant accomplishment. Looking for continued improvement and a full roster next season, hopefully.
classy move by coach
Thegoldenjet

Post by Thegoldenjet »

Marshall's head coach does deserve recognition of how he has handled this sort of game and I'm glad it hasn't gone unnoticed. He respects the opponent and the game, and its this kind of leadership we hope fosters and grows respectful and humble young gentlemen.
P.S. I wish not to bring up another similar game, if there is a response regarding that, consider this the preemptive response to that in which I will cite the very same options exercised to do right the second half of the game.
Teak

Post by Teak »

TrojanHockeyFan wrote:Marshall's coach kept it classy in the third period and obviously gave some of his younger kids some ice time, which we appreciated due to the most productive kids on our team right now being sophomores. Looking for continued improvement and a full roster next season, hopefully.
Yeah, I noticed during the lineups that Worthington had several sophomores. That is good for the program and hopefully they can get the numbers up to three lines at least next season. I just remember watching their games against Marshall in the past few seasons and they only had 6 or 7 skaters. Hard to play well when you're tired.

We like Weiss. He has good hockey pedigree (Moorhead) and keeps it classy.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Thegoldenjet wrote:Marshall's head coach does deserve recognition of how he has handled this sort of game and I'm glad it hasn't gone unnoticed. He respects the opponent and the game, and its this kind of leadership we hope fosters and grows respectful and humble young gentlemen.
P.S. I wish not to bring up another similar game, if there is a response regarding that, consider this the preemptive response to that in which I will cite the very same options exercised to do right the second half of the game.
At the part starting with P.S.....Considering the Walleyes were biting today and I don't want wreck the bite with bad karma I will bite my tongue, and simply say lol.
Teak

Post by Teak »

Marshall beat New Ulm 3-1 tonight in Marshall. Pretty even game up to the end, shots were 36-29 in favor of Marshall. Both goalies looked good, Nelson for the Tigers and #1 (don't know name) for New Ulm. New Ulm's goalie stopped 3 breakaways after giving up a goal on the first one. Marshall's top line scored all three with Mason Plante the sophomore getting a brace.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Teak wrote:Marshall beat New Ulm 3-1 tonight in Marshall. Pretty even game up to the end, shots were 36-29 in favor of Marshall. Both goalies looked good, Nelson for the Tigers and #1 (don't know name) for New Ulm. New Ulm's goalie stopped 3 breakaways after giving up a goal on the first one. Marshall's top line scored all three with Mason Plante the sophomore getting a brace.
Raymond
Teak

Post by Teak »

Litchfield/Dassel-Cokato beat Hutchinson 4-2 in Litchfield yesterday. Marshall still has to play Litchfield this season, but won't see Hutchinson unless it is in the section playoffs. Maybe Hutchinson should move to 2A since they rarely play Big South schools, which makes up the bulk of 3A.

I still think Litchfield is the team to beat in 3A during the playoffs. Hutchinson and Luverne would be my #2 and #3 picks. I have seen New Ulm and they do have a good goalie in Raymond.
Teak

Post by Teak »

Wow, where'd time go?

Marshall coming on strong late in the season. Back to back away wins over Litchfield/Dassal-Cokato (1-0) and Le Sueur et. al (8-2) makes them one of the favorites now in Section 3A. This squad had the potential and now they are starting to show it. Luverne beat New Ulm in New Ulm so I would put them #1 with Marshall #2. Hutchinson is the big unknown since they don't like to play other 3A schools.