Marshall 3A hockey

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Teak

Post by Teak »

TrojanHockeyFan wrote:Teak,

Appreciate your concern about the Worthington hockey team. ... Somehow we managed to put our best game together on Friday night despite the adversity and defeated Breckenridge/Wapheton 4-2 for our first win in 23 months. We're trying to stay positive and to get better - next year we should have a full roster with a big 9th grade class and only losing one senior. But we are young and will take our lumps this year against better and deeper competiton.

The Big South conference has some decent hockey going on up to now.
Thanks for posting! It is good to know that Worthington is gaining numbers again. I agree that the Big South has some good competition amongst area schools although the haters cannot accept that.

Worthington travels to Marshall for a game Tuesday, Jan 10. You're going to LOVE the new Red Baron Arena.
TrojanHockeyFan

Post by TrojanHockeyFan »

Teak,

Worthington played with Windom in the summer high school hockey league this past summer and so we saw it a number of times - only the smaller rink was of course flooded at that time. Very nice facility and looking forward to seeing it for a varsity game, presumably on the bigger rink.

Sadly with Windom and Worthington combined we were a lot more competitive with the other teams . . . but apart we are both challenged by small numbers this year. Both associations are looking forward to growth in upcoming years. Marshall's 12 seniors certainly provide a solid nucleus for their high school team - I'd say Section 3A is wide open right now for discussion.
Teak

Post by Teak »

Marshall beat Redwood Valley 8-1 in Redwood Falls, which is a surprise result IMHO.

Redwood beat New Ulm which beat Marshall which beat Redwood.

No more seeding talk from me until early February. :oops:
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Teak wrote:Marshall beat Redwood Valley 8-1 in Redwood Falls, which is a surprise result IMHO.

We need more seeding talk from people like you who speak sensibly. Fwiw that result shocked me as well. Cripes a 2 goal Marshall win would have suprised me.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

goldy313 wrote:
Teak wrote:Marshall beat Redwood Valley 8-1 in Redwood Falls, which is a surprise result IMHO.

We need more seeding talk from people like you who speak sensibly. Fwiw that result shocked me as well. Cripes a 2 goal Marshall win would have suprised me.
I posted the same thing 2 days before this on the 3A thread. There are plenty of people on the board who speak sensibly.
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

GoldyGopher wrote:
goldy313 wrote:

I posted the same thing 2 days before this on the 3A thread. There are plenty of people on the board who speak sensibly.
And Redwood beat Waseca, Luverne beat Redwood, Waseca beat Luverne.
I was hoping there'd be folks from 5 or 6 communities talking up their local boys, sensibly. I guess it's more entertaining if someone says the first outlandish thing that comes into his head, whether it is based in any degree of reality, with some vehemently defending the statement and others just as passionately denying it.
hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

Yeah this thread isn't nearly as entertaining as the past couple years. Where have all the rabid cardinal fans gone? Maybe not much to foam about.
Teak

Post by Teak »

InigoMontoya wrote:
goldy313 wrote:

And Redwood beat Waseca, Luverne beat Redwood, Waseca beat Luverne.
I was hoping there'd be folks from 5 or 6 communities talking up their local boys, sensibly. I guess it's more entertaining if someone says the first outlandish thing that comes into his head, whether it is based in any degree of reality, with some vehemently defending the statement and others just as passionately denying it.
Yeah, pretty tame forum this one. If you are looking for the Luverne-bashing thread, you will need to look down the list a ways. Or maybe someone will post and it will appear above this one. Whatever. This thread is about Marshall ice hockey and their place in section 3A. I don't see Marshall being anything but a spoiler as we get closer to the section seeds.

Marshall at Waseca was postponed on Saturday due to the cold weather. Not sure when it will get rescheduled. Waseca has a chance at the Big South title and the nothing that that entails. Come playoffs, they are in section 1A, I was told.

I am probably going to try to watch the Worthington at Fairmont game tonight. Fairmont streams their home games on the 'net and I read above that Worthington now has more players than at the start of the season. I would not want to see any 3A schools giving up the sport for lack of players.
hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

Nope not looking to bash anyone and I have been in Luverne's corner except when some of their fans left the rails of all hockey sanity. Even that (especially that?) was pretty entertaining. I am happy to see some growth in that part of the state for our sport and nicely done on the new arena in Marshall. Haven't been down there but have heard really nice things. Even my own section thread is pretty dead so somebody needs to liven things up a bit somewhere. :lol:
Go THawks
Teak

Post by Teak »

hawkenjonny wrote:Even my own section thread is pretty dead so somebody needs to liven things up a bit somewhere. :lol:
Go THawks
THawks = Grand Rapids, I suppose? They have a decent squad this season, eh?

Fairmont 4-3 Worthington, in Fairmont. Decent game. Fairmont was winless and Worthington has a sole win over Breckenridge/Wahpeton. Fairmont took a 4-1 lead into the 3rd period but Worthington put two nice shots past the Fairmont goalie to make for an exciting finish.

Nice to see that Worthington had two full lines (12 in total, 10 skaters) so that no one had to play the entire game.
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

hawkenjonny wrote:Yeah this thread isn't nearly as entertaining as the past couple years. Where have all the rabid cardinal fans gone? Maybe not much to foam about.
notTonight and 3Ahockeyscout have retired. Whiner33 rarely makes an appearance. This doesn't give goldy anyone to argue with which has really brought down the entertainment factor. :D
hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

I miss Herb
Teak

Post by Teak »

Got home late from work (travelling) and logged on to youtube (Marsh Sports Live) to watch Marshall-Fairmont game Thursday night. There were Marshall JVs playing and the score was 17-1. I figured it was the JV game, which ended 18-1. The next game was the girls' game and I realized that the varsity boys played before the varsity girls.

18-1. Ouch! Not sure what that means; is Marshall getting better or was Fairmont playing badly after their first win Tuesday night?

Marshall to play in the Schwan Tourney in Blaine over the Christmas break. First up is against Simley.
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

How are the holiday tournament going for all the 3A teams? Luverne lost to Woodbury 5-3 on Monday and beat Hastings 4-1 today. They will play Hopkins for the 5th place game tomorrow.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

CherryPicker99 wrote:How are the holiday tournament going for all the 3A teams? Luverne lost to Woodbury 5-3 on Monday and beat Hastings 4-1 today. They will play Hopkins for the 5th place game tomorrow.
New Ulm lost their opener 4-0 up in Hibbing. Gave up 3 PP goals though so that would show they maybe played Hibbing closer than expected. They get Virginia tonight and Greenway tomorrow.

Redwood and Litch have tourney games that start tonight and Marshall doesn't start at the Super Rink until tomorrow.
twincitiespuckmind

Post by twincitiespuckmind »

GoldyGopher wrote:
CherryPicker99 wrote:How are the holiday tournament going for all the 3A teams? Luverne lost to Woodbury 5-3 on Monday and beat Hastings 4-1 today. They will play Hopkins for the 5th place game tomorrow.
New Ulm lost their opener 4-0 up in Hibbing. Gave up 3 PP goals though so that would show they maybe played Hibbing closer than expected. They get Virginia tonight and Greenway tomorrow.

Redwood and Litch have tourney games that start tonight and Marshall doesn't start at the Super Rink until tomorrow.[/quote

I'm not so sure of Hibbing is all that good.
rainier

Post by rainier »

twincitiespuckmind wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:

Redwood and Litch have tourney games that start tonight and Marshall doesn't start at the Super Rink until tomorrow.[/quote

Hibbing is a top ten team in A. Yes, they are not in the upper tier with Hermantown, Delano, Breck, SPA, etc. but to say they aren't that good on a 3A thread is strange.

I didn't think it was necessary to pile on about Hibbing's 4-0 win over New Ulm, but to set the record straight, Hibbing outshot them 51-14 and the Eagles' goalie is the only reason this one wasn't in running time. New Ulm had zero sustained zone time and Hibbing played their 3rd and 4th lines a lot. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but New Ulm is the worst team Hibbing has played this season.
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn
Kinda_Normal_Tendy

Post by Kinda_Normal_Tendy »

rainier wrote:
twincitiespuckmind wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote: New Ulm lost their opener 4-0 up in Hibbing. Gave up 3 PP goals though so that would show they maybe played Hibbing closer than expected. They get Virginia tonight and Greenway tomorrow.

Hibbing is a top ten team in A. Yes, they are not in the upper tier with Hermantown, Delano, Breck, SPA, etc. but to say they aren't that good on a 3A thread is strange.

I didn't think it was necessary to pile on about Hibbing's 4-0 win over New Ulm, but to set the record straight, Hibbing outshot them 51-14 and the Eagles' goalie is the only reason this one wasn't in running time. New Ulm had zero sustained zone time and Hibbing played their 3rd and 4th lines a lot. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but New Ulm is the worst team Hibbing has played this season.
I was hoping that you would weigh in on this game because you are always a good read in the 7a threads. I was at the game and think anyone there would obviously agree that new ulms goalie was the only reason this one was as close as it was. Hibbing is really good and is more than likely the best team new ulm will play this year. For someone in here to say otherwise shows he probably doesn't make it of the southwest corner of the state very often. Do you honestly believe though that new ulm is that much worse than crookston or Ifalls? Yes they were heavily outshot but every time you covered the puck it was counted as a shot on net so I think 51 was a little heavy. Jarrett Lee was fun to watch and even though he wasn't tested very often it was pretty obvious that was the best goalie new ulm has seen all year also.

Side note: new ulm has greenway tonight and viginia on Thursday
rainier

Post by rainier »

Kinda_Normal_Tendy wrote:
rainier wrote:
twincitiespuckmind wrote: Hibbing is a top ten team in A. Yes, they are not in the upper tier with Hermantown, Delano, Breck, SPA, etc. but to say they aren't that good on a 3A thread is strange.

I was hoping that you would weigh in on this game because you are always a good read in the 7a threads. I was at the game and think anyone there would obviously agree that new ulms goalie was the only reason this one was as close as it was. Hibbing is really good and is more than likely the best team new ulm will play this year. For someone in here to say otherwise shows he probably doesn't make it of the southwest corner of the state very often. Do you honestly believe though that new ulm is that much worse than crookston or Ifalls? Yes they were heavily outshot but every time you covered the puck it was counted as a shot on net so I think 51 was a little heavy. Jarrett Lee was fun to watch and even though he wasn't tested very often it was pretty obvious that was the best goalie new ulm has seen all year also.

New Ulm might be better than I-Falls, but I do think Crookston is better than the Eagles. It did seem that New Ulm did have a couple solid players, but they were forced to pack it in tight defensively, leaving them very little opportunity to create any odd man rushes. When they did get into the offensive zone, their defensemen stayed halfway between the the blue line and the red line to prevent any Hibbing breakaways, so that also hampered the Eagles' ability to sustain any pressure.

The New Ulm goalie looked very good, he stymied some excellent scoring chances and always looked under control. I imagine that he will be a huge asset for the Eagles come playoff time.

I respect 3A hockey and think it is weak when others make disparaging comments about it. It's good to see growth in that area of the state as it only adds to the fun in Class A.

Good luck to the Eagles the rest of the way! :)
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

rainier wrote:
rainier wrote: I was hoping that you would weigh in on this game because you are always a good read in the 7a threads. I was at the game and think anyone there would obviously agree that new ulms goalie was the only reason this one was as close as it was. Hibbing is really good and is more than likely the best team new ulm will play this year. For someone in here to say otherwise shows he probably doesn't make it of the southwest corner of the state very often. Do you honestly believe though that new ulm is that much worse than crookston or Ifalls? Yes they were heavily outshot but every time you covered the puck it was counted as a shot on net so I think 51 was a little heavy. Jarrett Lee was fun to watch and even though he wasn't tested very often it was pretty obvious that was the best goalie new ulm has seen all year also.

New Ulm might be better than I-Falls, but I do think Crookston is better than the Eagles. It did seem that New Ulm did have a couple solid players, but they were forced to pack it in tight defensively, leaving them very little opportunity to create any odd man rushes. When they did get into the offensive zone, their defensemen stayed halfway between the the blue line and the red line to prevent any Hibbing breakaways, so that also hampered the Eagles' ability to sustain any pressure.

The New Ulm goalie looked very good, he stymied some excellent scoring chances and always looked under control. I imagine that he will be a huge asset for the Eagles come playoff time.

I respect 3A hockey and think it is weak when others make disparaging comments about it. It's good to see growth in that area of the state as it only adds to the fun in Class A.

Good luck to the Eagles the rest of the way! :)
I'm thinking twincitiespuckmind is missing the old 3A thread and trolling a bit. :?

Thanks for the feedback. I think everyone knew New Ulm had a uphill battle against Hibbing.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

rainier wrote:
twincitiespuckmind wrote: Hibbing is a top ten team in A. Yes, they are not in the upper tier with Hermantown, Delano, Breck, SPA, etc. but to say they aren't that good on a 3A thread is strange.

TwinCitiespuckmind said Hibbing wasn't all that good good. Not the guy stuck in the southwest corner of the state. I'm very aware Hibbing is a quality opponent in any class A schedule.
Kinda_Normal_Tendy

Post by Kinda_Normal_Tendy »

GoldyGopher wrote:
rainier wrote: I was hoping that you would weigh in on this game because you are always a good read in the 7a threads. I was at the game and think anyone there would obviously agree that new ulms goalie was the only reason this one was as close as it was. Hibbing is really good and is more than likely the best team new ulm will play this year. For someone in here to say otherwise shows he probably doesn't make it of the southwest corner of the state very often. Do you honestly believe though that new ulm is that much worse than crookston or Ifalls? Yes they were heavily outshot but every time you covered the puck it was counted as a shot on net so I think 51 was a little heavy. Jarrett Lee was fun to watch and even though he wasn't tested very often it was pretty obvious that was the best goalie new ulm has seen all year also.

TwinCitiespuckmind said Hibbing wasn't all that good good. Not the guy stuck in the southwest corner of the state. I'm very aware Hibbing is a quality opponent in any class A schedule.
My apologies goldy, the way it was quoted made it look like you were the one who had said it, I was starting to wonder about you...
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

GoldyGopher wrote:
Kinda_Normal_Tendy wrote: TwinCitiespuckmind said Hibbing wasn't all that good good. Not the guy stuck in the southwest corner of the state. I'm very aware Hibbing is a quality opponent in any class A schedule.
My apologies goldy, the way it was quoted made it look like you were the one who had said it, I was starting to wonder about you...
No problem, just wanted to clear the air and note that I'm very aware there are 7 other sections in class A that all have excellent teams. :)
Teak

Post by Teak »

Not a good week for Marshall last week. Two losses and a single win in the Schwan Cup Open Division.

Beat Simley 3-2 (where is that?)
Lost to Chaska 6-0 and Spring Lake Park 5-2.
Would probably beat those three schools in most sports, but not ice hockey.

Okay, Simley is in Inver Grove Heights, a watershed for Hill-Murray. Figures.

Up this week a home game against Willmar.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Teak wrote:Not a good week for Marshall last week. Two losses and a single win in the Schwan Cup Open Division.

Beat Simley 3-2 (where is that?)
Lost to Chaska 6-0 and Spring Lake Park 5-2.
Would probably beat those three schools in most sports, but not ice hockey.

Okay, Simley is in Inver Grove Heights, a watershed for Hill-Murray. Figures.

Up this week a home game against Willmar.
Chaska and SLP are both AA schools. Neither are necessarily a bad loss, both have some good wins to their resume. Spring Lake park shares a rink with Blaine and are just a couple years off a state tournament appearance. I definitely wouldn't look too much into losing to them at somewhat of a home rink.

I was in attendance for some of the AA games. First time I've been to the tournament, very impressive to say the least.