Section 3A 2016-2017

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 »

Did the touchdown cover the spread?
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Whiner33 wrote:Did the touchdown cover the spread?
I'd say so. Kind of what a predicted would happen Luverne wise. I'm kinda surprised Redwood didn't score any, but I think the general consensus on this forum is that Luverne is going to be the team to beat come sections.
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration
hawkeyguy2

Post by hawkeyguy2 »

GoldyGopher wrote:
I'd say so. Kind of what a predicted would happen Luverne wise. I'm kinda surprised Redwood didn't score any, but I think the general consensus on this forum is that Luverne is going to be the team to beat come sections.
New Ulm
Litch
Marshall
Luverne
Willmar
Redwood
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

hawkeyguy2 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:
New Ulm
Litch
Marshall
Luverne
Willmar
Redwood
Nah, Luverne belongs firmly planted at #2 right now. I anticipate they beat New Ulm when the come to town early Feb. Redwood just beat Willmar. Put Luverne below New Ulm (for now) Remove willmar for Hutch and those are the 3A rankings in my opinion. Willmar is a non-factor.
Thegoldenjet

Post by Thegoldenjet »

Litch
Luverne
New Ulm
Marshall
Hutch
Redwood
Willmar
Windom
Rest

Considering the parity and what is yet to be seen, could easily entertain

Luverne/Litch
New Ulm/Marshall/Hutch
Guess I could say top 2 and top 5 are up for debate with more evidence to be considered.

Litch is Litch until proven otherwise, which New Ulm did, but we have an a and b and c and a conversation.

Luverne is Luverne until proven otherwise, which New Ulm and Waseca did, so we have an a and b and c and a conversation.

New Ulm see above and below.

Marshall, wild card, classic losses to traditional contenders with fluke touchdown in Redwood before it was cool and fluke win over New Ulm.

Hutch is Hutch but I think they'd admit they're on more of a building blocks for 18 and 19 than eggs in 17 year. Imho, this sort of statement on this thread regarding this section could just have made them the eventual section champion.

Redwood and Willmar capable of causing fits if they have a chip on their shoulder and any of the top 5 felt entitled to the right as opposed to grateful for the privelege.

Windom and on, capable of the same relatively speaking, less so the wider the margin grows, albeit I'll disclaim all of the above with an acceptance and acknowledgement of unknowns times crazy mixed with bounces, refs and excuses.
hawkeyguy2

Post by hawkeyguy2 »

Thegoldenjet wrote:Litch
Luverne
New Ulm
Marshall
Hutch
Redwood
Willmar
Windom
Rest

Considering the parity and what is yet to be seen, could easily entertain

Luverne/Litch
New Ulm/Marshall/Hutch
Guess I could say top 2 and top 5 are up for debate with more evidence to be considered.

Litch is Litch until proven otherwise, which New Ulm did, but we have an a and b and c and a conversation.

Luverne is Luverne until proven otherwise, which New Ulm and Waseca did, so we have an a and b and c and a conversation.

New Ulm see above and below.

Marshall, wild card, classic losses to traditional contenders with fluke touchdown in Redwood before it was cool and fluke win over New Ulm.

Hutch is Hutch but I think they'd admit they're on more of a building blocks for 18 and 19 than eggs in 17 year. Imho, this sort of statement on this thread regarding this section could just have made them the eventual section champion.

Redwood and Willmar capable of causing fits if they have a chip on their shoulder and any of the top 5 felt entitled to the right as opposed to grateful for the privelege.

Windom and on, capable of the same relatively speaking, less so the wider the margin grows, albeit I'll disclaim all of the above with an acceptance and acknowledgement of unknowns times crazy mixed with bounces, refs and excuses.
I actually want to switch Marshall with New Ulm. Throw out the beginning of the season because it doesn't matter. Marshall outshot New Ulm by 10 recently and penalties were basically even. New Ulm proved Luverne isn't anything special beating them on Luverne's home ice solidly. I put Willmar ahead of Redwood just because I see them improving and showing some offensive ability (2 goals against Luverne and 4 against Litch and shots were even against Redwood) and they keep coming after you. I see them upsetting someone come playoffs.

Marshall
Litch
New Ulm
Luverne
Willmar
Redwood
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

In-section games this week are pretty slow. Not too much going on. That being said top 6 against section opponents this week:

1. Luverne - No section match-ups this week (vs New Prague 1/28 )
2. New Ulm - @ Willmar 1/28 (vs LSH/SP/TCU 1/24, vs Waconia 1/26)
3. LDC - No Section match-ups this week (@ Orono 1/26)
4. Marshall - @ Windom 1/23, vs Redwood Valley 1/24 (vs Waseca 1/27)
5. Hutch - No sections match-ups this week (@ Delano 1/24, @ New Prague 1/26, vs River Lakes 1/28 )
6. Redwood Valley - @ Marshall 1/24 (vs LSH/SP/TCU 1/27)

These are my top 6 right now, and I don't think there is even an argument for another team being in the top 6. Those arguing Willmar, please note they have 2 wins and one of them is against a team from N.D. I have Hutch (4 wins) above Redwood Valley strictly due to their strength of schedule so far this season.

Luverne is #1 for obvious reasons right now, outscoring teams 34-2 over their last 4 games. It appears their scoring has returned and some solid goaltending to go with it. They haven't played the toughest teams their last 4, but Waseca and RV have each given them trouble in the last year so there is no discounting what they did against those teams most recently.

The only in-section upset I see possibly happening this week is RV at Marshall. Marshall is on back to back games and could open some opportunity for RV. RV does have one of their top goal scorers missing the game so ultimately I think Marshall wins and makes it a pretty blah week for section play.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

As bad as Hutchinson is this year, they beat Marshall head-to-head. Hutchinson going to Marshall for a section game would make playing section opponents during the regular season completely meaningless.

As good as LDC has looked this year, at times, even if they beat Marshall, they still lost head-to-head to New Ulm.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Luverne is #1 for obvious reasons right now, outscoring teams 34-2 over their last 4 games. It appears their scoring has returned and some solid goaltending to go with it. They haven't played the toughest teams their last 4, but Waseca and RV have each given them trouble in the last year so there is no discounting what they did against those teams most recently.
Obvious?
almost half of the 34 goals were scored on a 5-win team (the record of the teams that make up the 5 are not great)
they allowed the 2 goals to a 2-win team
I think RV's loss to LDC is comparable
the win over Waseca gives them a split
if they are swept by New Ulm, how do they get seeded higher?
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

InigoMontoya wrote:
Obvious?
almost half of the 34 goals were scored on a 5-win team (the record of the teams that make up the 5 are not great)
Since when is allowing 2 goals and still winning by 6 a way to judge a team poorly on a win? Waseca also beat NU earlier this year too, are you suggesting Luverne and New Ulm should both be dropped to the section 3 play-in game because they lost to Waseca? In case you haven't noticed Waseca has 10 wins on the year. If they are swept by NU then you'd be right, they wouldn't deserve the #1 seed. But as of now I believe that's where they should be at.
danglesnipecelly13

Post by danglesnipecelly13 »

New ulm
Litch
Luverne
Hutch
Marshall
RV

IMO litch should be number 1 seed but I don't think that's going to happen, strength of schedule as a whole is quite a bit tougher and with the exception of holy family and Delano conference games should be pretty tight. Goaltending is a little suspect but three lines that can and do score goals and some pretty underrated defense carry this team, I have seen them play quite a bit, and the new ulm game seemed a little fluky, that said this is my prediction for top 6 seeding and if new ulms tendy can stay hot id put my money on them making the trip to the big dance, But litch, New ulm, and hutch are really the only teams if seen play.
hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

No dog in this fight (got my own going in 7AA) but from what I have seen (only seen LDC a couple times and NU vs Luv) the whole section seems like a shadow of what it was the last few years. Luverne definitely not the power that it was but could (and probably will) get to the X due to no one else doing anything either. LDC would be my other pick. NU wildly inconsistent and no great shakes in any area other than GT. Is that enough? Maybe. This section is as back and forth as my own. So would you say that there is no one really competitive in this section or is everyone? Keeps you guessing.
Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 »

Is all the talk about Bigwood over yet? Down 9-1 after two to Marshall? I feel like a goalie is going to be pulled tonight!
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

GoldyGopher wrote:
InigoMontoya wrote:
Obvious?
Since when is allowing 2 goals and still winning by 6 a way to judge a team poorly on a win? Waseca also beat NU earlier this year too, are you suggesting Luverne and New Ulm should both be dropped to the section 3 play-in game because they lost to Waseca? In case you haven't noticed Waseca has 10 wins on the year. If they are swept by NU then you'd be right, they wouldn't deserve the #1 seed. But as of now I believe that's where they should be at.
Just saying, not obvious.
I pick LDC to beat Luverne by 6 in the 2v3 semi in St Peter.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Whiner33 wrote:Is all the talk about Bigwood over yet? Down 9-1 after two to Marshall? I feel like a goalie is going to be pulled tonight!
I'd say if you've been reading the posts you should know they aren't at the top of 3A projections anymore. Even so it's hard for a team to compete when they don't have much depth and their second leading goal scorer is out for the game.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

InigoMontoya wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:
InigoMontoya wrote: Obvious?
Just saying, not obvious.
I pick LDC to beat Luverne by 6 in the 2v3 semi in St Peter.
Well New Ulm lost to LSH/SP/TCU 3-0 last night. They got swept by them this season. I would think the 3A top seed would be able to at least split with them.

And your LDC -6 spread in sections sounds like you're just drawing numbers out of a hat. Is there any reason to suggest LDC is really that much better than Luverne?
fastncrash

Post by fastncrash »

LHS 6, New Prague 0.

The refs kept this game close.
Kinda_Normal_Tendy

Post by Kinda_Normal_Tendy »

Thursday should a very fun day in 3A as the teams most people consider to be the top four all play each other in what could very well be a preview of the games we'll see Saturday at Gustavus. (second parenthesis is their section record)

1. Luverne - (14-5-1) (8-1) - Has the best overall resume and only one loss in the section. They will need to avenge that loss to New Ulm on Thursday if they want to claim the top seed. The first time the two teams met Luverne dominated the first period but struggled to beat Raymond. The second and third periods were very even with New Ulm just capitalizing on their chances. The rematch on Thursday should be a fun game. Luverne's second meeting with Marshall is also a big game. This is a much better Marshall team then when they met earlier in the year. Hopefully the refs will let them play this time as each team spent nearly an entire period in the box during their last game.

Games this week Tues. vs. Worthington Thurs. @ New Ulm

2. Litchfield - (10-6) (5-1)
- Needs to beat both Marshall and Hutchinson if the want to remain a top 2 seed. Loses to either or both of those teams could drop them as far as the 4 seed depending on the results of the Marshall vs Luverne game. Their remaining conference games shouldn't really hurt them, but could definitely help their cause by boosting their overall resume. Wins in both of those games and a second Luverne loss to New Ulm would than likely give them the one seed.

Games this week Tues. @ Holy Family Thurs. vs. Marshall Fri. vs Waconia

3. Marshall - (13-6-1) (10-3) - The tigers are 7-0-1 in their last 8, although not all against the greatest competition its a nice run that they're on and they'll try to bring that momentum with them up to Litchfield on Thursday. As mentioned earlier they also have another game with Luverne. Wins in both of these would most likely secure them a top 2 seed, and win in one would likely secure at least the 3 seed. Loses in both could potentially push them down as far as 5 depending on how other teams perform against those same teams.

Games this week Thurs. @ Litch Sat. @St.Peter

4. New Ulm - (8-9-1) (6-2-1) - Will need to win out if they want to be seeded higher than 4. Stumbling against anyone other than Luverne could possibly drop them as low as 6. It's difficult to see them ending up any higher, but the three seed is still a very realistic possibility.

Games this week Mon. @ Windom Thurs. vs. Luverne Sat. vs. Redwood

5. Hutchinson - (4-10-3) (2-1-1) - The next ten days are huge for them with games against Willmar, Redwood, and Litch. Loses to either Willmar or Redwood could drop them to 6 or even 7, while winning all three could potentially move them up into the top 4. A win in the rematch with Litch seems unlikely due to the dominance of Litch in the first game. Their goaltender kept it close the first time, so who's to say he can't steal one.

Games this week Mon. vs. Willmar Tues. @ Mound Westonka Thurs. @ Redwood

6. Redwood - (10-8) (7-5) - The Cardinals also have a huge week with games against Hutch and New Ulm. Wins could help them climb up, while loses won't hurt them. They will have nothing to lose and a potential home quarterfinal game to gain if they can pull it off. Although it seems unlikely their first meeting with New Ulm shows its possible.

Games this week Tues. @ Waseca Thurs. vs Hutch Fri. vs. Fairmont Sat. @ New Ulm

7. Willmar - (3-17) (1-5)
- Their only real chance to move anywhere is tonight, but even with a win unless its a very convincing one, they're pretty much a lock at 7.

Games this week Mon @ Hutchinson Thurs. vs. Sartell Sat. @ Prairie Center

8. Windom - (5-12) (5-8)

Games this week Mon. vs. New Ulm Fri. Dodge County

9. Fairmont - (5-15) (5-7)

Games this week Fri. @ Redwood

10. Worthington - (2-15) (1-9)

Games this week Tues @ Luverne Thurs. @ St.Peter Sat. @ Morris

11. Morris/Benson - (0-14) (0-8) - Hope that they can pull one off against Worthington on Saturday and get that first W.

Games this week Tues. @ Breckenridge/Whapeton Fri. vs. Red Lake Falls Sat. @ Worthington
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Thursday is a big 3A day:
Luverne @ New Ulm
Marshall @ Litchfield
Hutchinson @ Redwood
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

InigoMontoya wrote:Thursday is a big 3A day:
Luverne @ New Ulm
Marshall @ Litchfield
Hutchinson @ Redwood
I like all 3 road teams to win Thursday. Don't love the recent tie of Marshall and Waseca, but I do believe Marshall is playing the better hockey as of now.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

GoldyGopher wrote:
InigoMontoya wrote:Thursday is a big 3A day:
Luverne @ New Ulm
Marshall @ Litchfield
Hutchinson @ Redwood
I like all 3 road teams to win Thursday. Don't love the recent tie of Marshall and Waseca, but I do believe Marshall is playing the better hockey as of now.
If New Ulm wins, are they the #1 seed?
Sweep of Luverne (recent), beat LDC, tied Hutchinson.

If the Wright County beats the Big South in the other two games, do they establish themselves in the top 4, with the New Ulm and Luverne?
hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

Really don't see any of these teams beating Luverne in the playoffs. Luverne may beat themselves (again) or they will be back at the X. Outsider opinion would be that this section is way down this year. Whoever goes is likely to get smoked hard start to finish. Hope I am wrong. I hate watching those games at the tourney.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

hawkenjonny wrote:Really don't see any of these teams beating Luverne in the playoffs. Luverne may beat themselves (again) or they will be back at the X. Outsider opinion would be that this section is way down this year. Whoever goes is likely to get smoked hard start to finish. Hope I am wrong. I hate watching those games at the tourney.
LDC down 9-0 after 2 to Holy Family. Now we all know there is a huge drop off in classes and Holy family is a top 10 team in AA while Litch is unranked in class A... but Holy Family Hockey Twitter has shots at 44-2. Even with the circumstances of class difference that seems like an extreme difference in SOG.

In other 3A news.. Waseca is up 6-0 against Redwood after 2. RV needs a win in the worst of ways.
better late

Post by better late »

Luverne 16-0 over Worthington. SOG 73-8. 12 different goal scorers for Luverne. No one had more than 2. New Ulm. Thursday.
hawkeyguy2

Post by hawkeyguy2 »

GoldyGopher wrote:
hawkenjonny wrote:Really don't see any of these teams beating Luverne in the playoffs. Luverne may beat themselves (again) or they will be back at the X. Outsider opinion would be that this section is way down this year. Whoever goes is likely to get smoked hard start to finish. Hope I am wrong. I hate watching those games at the tourney.
LDC down 9-0 after 2 to Holy Family. Now we all know there is a huge drop off in classes and Holy family is a top 10 team in AA while Litch is unranked in class A... but Holy Family Hockey Twitter has shots at 44-2. Even with the circumstances of class difference that seems like an extreme difference in SOG.

In other 3A news.. Waseca is up 6-0 against Redwood after 2. RV needs a win in the worst of ways.
LDC on the scoreboard matched what Holy Family did against Delano (#3 in class A) 1 - 10 and just 1 goal difference comparing to Benilde vs Holy Family... 0 - 8. LDC actually tied Holy Family in the 3rd period in goals and shots. Comparing... Hutch lost 0 - 12 to Holy Family...