Section 3A 2016-2017

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Kinda_Normal_Tendy wrote:
rainier wrote:According to the Hub, New Ulm beats Virginia 3-0, but got outshot 64-30!

Can anyone confirm that Raymond stopped 64 shots today? If so, that's insane.
I can confirm that new ulm did come out on top today in Virginia and that Raymond played very well making it look easy in his shutout today but I really don't think Virginia had 64 shots. Virginia shot everything from everywhere on the ice and in the third period had 4 straight minutes of 5-3 so I guess maybe they did have that many shots but I would think it was much closer to 45. Impressive showing for him up north either way.
Whatever you say, Branch.
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration
Kinda_Normal_Tendy

Post by Kinda_Normal_Tendy »

GoldyGopher wrote:
rainier wrote:According to the Hub, New Ulm beats Virginia 3-0, but got outshot 64-30!

Can anyone confirm that Raymond stopped 64 shots today? If so, that's insane.
I can confirm that new ulm did come out on top today in Virginia and that Raymond played very well making it look easy in his shutout today but I really don't think Virginia had 64 shots. Virginia shot everything from everywhere on the ice and in the third period had 4 straight minutes of 5-3 so I guess maybe they did have that many shots but I would think it was much closer to 45. Impressive showing for him up north either way.
You're just mad because I thought you were losing it in the other thread. You should be happy about his performance, sure makes your redwood squad look pretty good having put up a 7 spot against him.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

GoldyGopher wrote:
Kinda_Normal_Tendy wrote: I can confirm that new ulm did come out on top today in Virginia and that Raymond played very well making it look easy in his shutout today but I really don't think Virginia had 64 shots. Virginia shot everything from everywhere on the ice and in the third period had 4 straight minutes of 5-3 so I guess maybe they did have that many shots but I would think it was much closer to 45. Impressive showing for him up north either way.
You're just mad because I thought you were losing it in the other thread. You should be happy about his performance, sure makes your redwood squad look pretty good having put up a 7 spot against him.
You were attempting to discount my hockey knowledge, you have earned yourself a beer shower.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Alrighty. This thread has been as exciting this year as I imagine it would be to sit with Whiner at a bar all night. That being said...

Who do you like in the second half? Not good holiday tournaments/games for Redwood and LDC. New Ulm did okay but lost their first game back to LSH/SP/TCU. Luverne lost to TG tied Mankato East who has some good wins/ties this year.

New Ulm and Luverne tonight in Luverne's barn. I think I'd have to assume that Luverne steam rolls New Ulm tonight and they are the most likely to pull away in the run for the 3A berth the the X.
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

GoldyGopher wrote:Alrighty. This thread has been as exciting this year as I imagine it would be to sit with Whiner at a bar all night. That being said...

Who do you like in the second half? Not good holiday tournaments/games for Redwood and LDC. New Ulm did okay but lost their first game back to LSH/SP/TCU. Luverne lost to TG tied Mankato East who has some good wins/ties this year.

New Ulm and Luverne tonight in Luverne's barn. I think I'd have to assume that Luverne steam rolls New Ulm tonight and they are the most likely to pull away in the run for the 3A berth the the X.
I would like to say Luverne would run away with 3A but that won't happen. Luverne is having trouble putting the puck in the net. I figured this would be a issue after losing Smedsrud and Nelson.

Tonight should be a interesting game and give us a better idea of this section might end up. In the preseason scrimmage New Ulm left the ice. I expect a very physical game. Hoping the Luverne squad just plays the game and stays out of the box.
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

After 1 in Luverne the Cardinals are leading New Ulm 1-0. SOG LUV-20 NU-4. Raymond is a brick wall.
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

After two New Ulm-2 Luverne-1. New Ulm with a shorty to start the period and a nice finish on a 2 on 1. Luverne still can't score. In the last 5 periods they've put up 78 shots and have 2 goals. SOG LUV-33 NU-11. D
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

CherryPicker99 wrote:After two New Ulm-2 Luverne-1. New Ulm with a shorty to start the period and a nice finish on a 2 on 1. Luverne still can't score. In the last 5 periods they've put up 78 shots and have 2 goals. SOG LUV-33 NU-11. D
Lol shows what I know. 3-1 now?? Just another random night in section 3A. Any chance #7 can step out for a shift or two?
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

Final: NU 4 Luv 1. Luverne can't score. Little different than the past years. SOG 42-20 in favor of Luverne.
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

GoldyGopher wrote:
CherryPicker99 wrote:After two New Ulm-2 Luverne-1. New Ulm with a shorty to start the period and a nice finish on a 2 on 1. Luverne still can't score. In the last 5 periods they've put up 78 shots and have 2 goals. SOG LUV-33 NU-11. D
Lol shows what I know. 3-1 now?? Just another random night in section 3A. Any chance #7 can step out for a shift or two?
He was in attendance. Luverne did dominate most of the game. At one point in the second period NU was floating a wing so the Luverne defense couldn't hold the zone. Some bad mistakes led to the NU goals and they finished with a empty netter. Pretty tame game. That was surprising. Luverne needs to find some scorers. It will be a long night tomorrow as they play SPA in a makeup game.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

CherryPicker99 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:
He was in attendance. Luverne did dominate most of the game. At one point in the second period NU was floating a wing so the Luverne defense couldn't hold the zone. Some bad mistakes led to the NU goals and they finished with a empty netter. Pretty tame game. That was surprising. Luverne needs to find some scorers. It will be a long night tomorrow as they play SPA in a makeup game.
Not how I saw the game going. Good for the Eagles and bad for Whiner, who may I add has all of the sudden gone MIA again.

With that being said, what kind of quality shots were the 42 SOG Luverne had?
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

GoldyGopher wrote:
CherryPicker99 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote: Lol shows what I know. 3-1 now?? Just another random night in section 3A. Any chance #7 can step out for a shift or two?
Not how I saw the game going. Good for the Eagles and bad for Whiner, who may I add has all of the sudden gone MIA again.

Luverne had several real good chances. They hit 3 pipes and got shut down on 3 breakaways. On the 3 breakaways not one Luverne player attempted to move Raymond. Tried picking corners which obviously didn't work.
BP

Post by BP »

Does Luverne keep it within 8 goals of SPA tonight? I thought this would be a year they could roll in their section. Guess not.
hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

If Luverne put up that many shots and had one goal to show for it, then I would question the shot quality as well. Having a breakaway doesn't translate necessarily into a quality shot. New Ulm goalie that tough? What about what was going on in the other end of the ice? 4 goals on 20 shots? Luck? Good sniping? Poor defense? Luverne should walk through this section but I think we have heard that before......
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

hawkenjonny wrote:If Luverne put up that many shots and had one goal to show for it, then I would question the shot quality as well. Having a breakaway doesn't translate necessarily into a quality shot. New Ulm goalie that tough? What about what was going on in the other end of the ice? 4 goals on 20 shots? Luck? Good sniping? Poor defense? Luverne should walk through this section but I think we have heard that before......
The NU goalie has been impressive in a few of his last outings. Against Hibbing, Greenway and Luverne he has faced 138 shots and has only given up 8.

NU scored a shorty at the beginning of the 2nd period off a face off in their offensive zone. Center tipped it past the Luverne center and walked right around him to score. Luverne center didn't even attempt to tie him up.

NU scored again on a bad defensive play. Ill advised pinch by a Luverne defender sends NU in on a breakaway.

NU third goal was the result of bad defense on a 2 on 1. It bothers me when a defender doesn't step up on shooter on a 2 on 1. Make the puck carrier make a play. Don't give him a free shot. Especially in this instance when Luverne has a back checker coming to help.

NU fourth goal was a empty netter.

Luverne had several high quality chances but need more traffic and presence in front of the net. They need to start putting away rebounds and getting screens. Once they stop trying to dangle everyone and just go to the net hard I think they'll see more pucks start going in.
Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 »

GoldyGopher wrote:
CherryPicker99 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote: Lol shows what I know. 3-1 now?? Just another random night in section 3A. Any chance #7 can step out for a shift or two?

You chirping me you little puke? It's only two hours for your teeth to be in the back of your throat?
hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

Sort of what I figured. Defensive issues can be a killer. As a former D guy I will say that many (not all) coaches (maybe more old school) have the D communicate with the goalie on the 2-1 situations and let him make the call. If goalie has shooter then D takes the pass and DOES NOT fully engage the shooter. I realize this is situational like if anyone is coming back to help and also dependent on if the two offensive players are skating even or one trailing. Just sayin.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

CherryPicker99 wrote:
hawkenjonny wrote:If Luverne put up that many shots and had one goal to show for it, then I would question the shot quality as well. Having a breakaway doesn't translate necessarily into a quality shot. New Ulm goalie that tough? What about what was going on in the other end of the ice? 4 goals on 20 shots? Luck? Good sniping? Poor defense? Luverne should walk through this section but I think we have heard that before......
The NU goalie has been impressive in a few of his last outings. Against Hibbing, Greenway and Luverne he has faced 138 shots and has only given up 8.

NU scored a shorty at the beginning of the 2nd period off a face off in their offensive zone. Center tipped it past the Luverne center and walked right around him to score. Luverne center didn't even attempt to tie him up.

NU scored again on a bad defensive play. Ill advised pinch by a Luverne defender sends NU in on a breakaway.

NU third goal was the result of bad defense on a 2 on 1. It bothers me when a defender doesn't step up on shooter on a 2 on 1. Make the puck carrier make a play. Don't give him a free shot. Especially in this instance when Luverne has a back checker coming to help.

NU fourth goal was a empty netter.

Luverne had several high quality chances but need more traffic and presence in front of the net. They need to start putting away rebounds and getting screens. Once they stop trying to dangle everyone and just go to the net hard I think they'll see more pucks start going in.
I'll agree totally with the goalie play. He's had some excellent games. When I saw him play Redwood his glove was tardy and was caught out of place at times. NU was missing a D man against LSH/SP/TCU I believe that exposed him at times. So definitely some growing pains there between his age and D play at times.

Should be a solid position Neuman doesn't have to worry about for a few years.
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

SPA beats Luverne 6-0. Haven't heard anything else yet.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

CherryPicker99 wrote:SPA beats Luverne 6-0. Haven't heard anything else yet.
Not terrible all things considered.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Not making any excuses for Luverne but this was their 3rd game in 4 days and 7th game in the last 12 days. That is one heck of a grind even for a deep team.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

goldy313 wrote:Not making any excuses for Luverne but this was their 3rd game in 4 days and 7th game in the last 12 days. That is one heck of a grind even for a deep team.
Yep I agree. That's why I said all things considered. Should be plenty for the coach to talk about in practice and work on. Although the games didn't go as planned it's probably going to help the team in the long run. Now as cherry picker said... if they could only find some scoring.
formersection3Afan

Post by formersection3Afan »

Whiner can Luverne right the ship ?
Perhaps run some old systems that worked admirably?
Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 »

formersection3Afan wrote:Whiner can Luverne right the ship ?
No.

Never had a system.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Whiner33 wrote:
formersection3Afan wrote:Whiner can Luverne right the ship ?
No.

Never had a system.
If they are ever going to find some scoring it's going to be the next 2 games. Just what the doctor ordered before matchup at Redwood.